Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gestrument Pro Released!

Impressive achievement! Congratulations to the developers. I’m really enjoying this app.

Comments

• Nice present for this morning- looking forward to using it!

• Is the bundle live yet not seeing it ?

• No, we have submitted it, but it's not live yet. Hopefully it will not take too long!

• Congratulations Devs on this huge iOS moment! Is there anyway to make the user guide as a PDF file link? I always find in app user guides too cumbersome to navigate and to keep on switching it back and forth while learning a new app. That would be great news guys! Looking forward to mastering this beastie! Cheers, Susan

• edited September 2018

@ElektrikDiva said:
    Congratulations Devs on this huge iOS moment! Is there anyway to make the user guide as a PDF file link? I always find in app user guides too cumbersome to navigate and to keep on switching it back and forth while learning a new app. That would be great news guys! Looking forward to mastering this beastie! Cheers, Susan

Here you go @JesperNordin posted it on the other Gestrument Pro thread:

https://gestrument.com/userguide/

• Cool beans and awesome sauce! Thank you so much! I LOVED the original version so this new version is the cat’s meow! Many thanks guys, Susan

• @j_liljedahl said:
    Thank you! :)

I preordered and see massive potential. I have to dig in and am watching Tim Webbs new tutorial now. The lazy part of me wants to know...before I go digging, can one sequence their own parts in this as well?

• Strange the bundle price is £2 more than buying the app singular if you already have Gestrument at £18.99 that doesn’t make sense?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Strange the bundle price is £2 more than buying the app singular if you already have Gestrument at £18.99 that doesn’t make sense?

Yep. The bundles never make any sense...

• edited September 2018

The appstore is a mess. Kinda hard to understand apple’s strategy on this.
    This particular bundle is looking good for me, though. I’m resisting the urge to press buy, but it won’t last today when I get off work.
    I’m seeing 14€, so that in brexit pounds should be about 350£

• edited September 2018

@JesperNordin said:
    Thanks a lot!

Now, before the two of you relax while staring at the sunset could you please produce some super cool vids to support your infant? ;)

• edited September 2018

@bedheadproducer said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    Thank you! :)

I preordered and see massive potential. I have to dig in and am watching Tim Webbs new tutorial now. The lazy part of me wants to know...before I go digging, can one sequence their own parts in this as well?

Yup! In the rhythm section you can idé our pattern generator with probability triggers and velocity per step. By using two or more pattern generators you can also go polymetric and polyrhytmic :)

• @supadom said:

@JesperNordin said:
    Thanks a lot!

Now, before the two of you relax while staring at the sunset could you please produce some super cool vids to support your infant? ;)

Don’t worry, they’re coming;)

• @j_liljedahl @Gestrumentsander : Feature request, i’d Love to see more midi out control / flexibility. User definable cc out for X&Y. User definable CC out for sliders. I want to use guesturment pro to play and modulate my hardware synths.

• @Dchild - on our list since a long time! Hopefully not too far away!

• omg....I just broke through the barrier. You know it's one thing to play something like this and go...oh that's really cool, I can improv music with no need to know what I'm doing,, but you are still playing someone else's cleverly programmed preset. and adding your own unpredictability factor to the mix. But once I started from scratch and then also started deconstructing/reverse engineering what was going on in certain patches, this really has the potential to bring together structure and chaos in a way that's revolutionary.
    My problem with randomness in software that generates such variety is that it was either so subtle that it hardly mattered or so chaotic that it wasn't musical. This is THAT middle ground with the ability to pull in the reigns or let the randomness fly off the handle at the users command, which ultimately is way more musical. Ultimately though, I want to capture something brilliant that flies by and not lose it forever. Random is great, but great is great, and greatness can be repeated and still be appealing to the ear. Like the beginning of Beethoven's 5th will be great over and over again until the end of time. So with this app we are getting closer to that happy medium with an improv/performing app, like never before. Brilliant...I'm looking forward to watching this develop. I'll probably do my next tutorial on this because it has so many angles one can approach it from and still not cover all that it does, along with it's newness. Again...great job!!!

• @bedheadproducer - thanks a lot! That's exactly what I feel when I use it to compose, and one of the main reasons I invented the original version in the first place.

• The difference between this one and the original for myself, is how this one invites you in - by that I mean the whole app feels like it wants you to dig deeper. I liked the first one too, but somehow there seemed an odd mental disconnect between the playing surface and the guts of the app.

Well done guys this is really well designed :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    The difference between this one and the original for myself, is how this one invites you in - by that I mean the whole app feels like it wants you to dig deeper. I liked the first one too, but somehow there seemed an odd mental disconnect between the playing surface and the guts of the app.

Well done guys this is really well designed :)

Well put Mister Bat. I can’t imagine there are many first time buyers who are on the fence but this explains then and now well.

• edited September 2018

One question: once you’ve recorded a loop and the cursors are moving on their own, can you change the loop slightly by moving the cursor a little bit or do you have to record an entirely new loop? Like if it’s looping, can I record just a small adjustment to the loop? Will it record my adjustment and then snap back to the rest of the loop? @j_liljedahl ?

• Do the sliders only control internal Gestrument Pro stuff or can they MIDI out? I know you can MIDI control the sliders themselves. Its no biggy if not, would be nice however. This app is a beast, taken a few hours to wrap my head around it The Tim Webb vid was a great starter tutorial but there is clearly much more to explore.

One question, some stuff I've tried to MIDI doesn't seem to repeat, e.g, Model D and Ripplemaker (although, switching between presets shows that the note trigger messages are getting through) I can't quite figure out how to control this, even with Legato slider all the way down.

• @Dchild said:
    @j_liljedahl @Gestrumentsander : Feature request, i’d Love to see more midi out control / flexibility. User definable cc out for X&Y. User definable CC out for sliders. I want to use guesturment pro to play and modulate my hardware synths.

Hi! This is actually something I do all the time with the app! If you go to instrument settings and scroll down to the MIDI section you’ll find one assignable cc per instrument. After choosing the cc value you can assign it to ”Cursor X”, ”Cursor Y”, ”Cursor Pressure”, any slider or any other control source you want. Unfortunately you can only add one cc per instrument at the moment, but by assigning more instruments to a cursor (or several cursors if that’s your thing), you get access to more assignable cc’s. This is something we’ll try to make a bit more flexible in future updates.

Hot tip: In the ”Control source” menus you can set up custom scaling options for each parameter. This is especially interesting when using Cursor X/Y for parameter control. Not only does the scaling allow you to limit modulation ranges, but you can also use it to put the parameter’s ”zero value” in the center of the screen. For more information on this, please check out how I’ve set up the “Phase offset” parameter on every instrument in “Variable Phase Arpeggiator”.

We will start posting tutorial videos for Gestrument Pro soon, and one of those will be entirely focused on midi control. Hope this helps in the meantime though!

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Strange the bundle price is £2 more than buying the app singular if you already have Gestrument at £18.99 that doesn’t make sense?

Nope. Wish they’d sort it out.

• @Calverhall said:
    Do the sliders only control internal Gestrument Pro stuff or can they MIDI out? I know you can MIDI control the sliders themselves. Its no biggy if not, would be nice however. This app is a beast, taken a few hours to wrap my head around it The Tim Webb vid was a great starter tutorial but there is clearly much more to explore.

One question, some stuff I've tried to MIDI doesn't seem to repeat, e.g, Model D and Ripplemaker (although, switching between presets shows that the note trigger messages are getting through) I can't quite figure out how to control this, even with Legato slider all the way down.

Regarding sliders and midi out, please see my previous reply to @Dchild.

The repeating events should work (I haven’t had any issues with it). It’s difficult to properly diagnose this issue without seeing how your patch is set up. If you PM me some screenshots I would be happy to take a look and see if there’s something I can do to help:)

• @bedheadproducer said:
    omg....I just broke through the barrier. You know it's one thing to play something like this and go...oh that's really cool, I can improv music with no need to know what I'm doing,, but you are still playing someone else's cleverly programmed preset. and adding your own unpredictability factor to the mix. But once I started from scratch and then also started deconstructing/reverse engineering what was going on in certain patches, this really has the potential to bring together structure and chaos in a way that's revolutionary.
    My problem with randomness in software that generates such variety is that it was either so subtle that it hardly mattered or so chaotic that it wasn't musical. This is THAT middle ground with the ability to pull in the reigns or let the randomness fly off the handle at the users command, which ultimately is way more musical. Ultimately though, I want to capture something brilliant that flies by and not lose it forever. Random is great, but great is great, and greatness can be repeated and still be appealing to the ear. Like the beginning of Beethoven's 5th will be great over and over again until the end of time. So with this app we are getting closer to that happy medium with an improv/performing app, like never before. Brilliant...I'm looking forward to watching this develop. I'll probably do my next tutorial on this because it has so many angles one can approach it from and still not cover all that it does, along with it's newness. Again...great job!!!

Thanks! That's so great to hear! I try to make it a point to include randomness in all my presets, and IMO Gestrument Pro really makes this easy to use in a very "musical" way. I use Gestrument in a few specific ways that are super useful to me, not only during performance/production, but also in exploring and learning more about music theory and my own musicality.

For production, I mainly use Gestrument Pro as a happy accident generator. I create a framework of rules and attributes that I want to explore and make the preset open enough to generate a wide variety of results, both expected and unexpected ones. I then record for a few minutes while playing the cursors and tweaking the preset, and then the results as loops on my Octatrack.

For performance, Gestrument Pro becomes a way for me to create custom intuitive instruments made to play a single piece of music. Keys, and strings don't have the same appeal to me anymore, and by using Gestrument Pro like this I can focus more on musical choices rather than technical proficiency while playing.

For education/developing my musicality I can highly recommend using Gestrument to break out of your comfort-zones. Here, Gestrument Pro lets me experiment, and try out new ideas with harmonies, voicings, rhythms and other musical concepts that would otherwise be outside of my comfort zone and point of reference. This has greatly helped me develop my sense of musicality and considerably expanded my comfort zones when it comes to creating music.

Really looking forward to seeing your tutorial, let me know if you have any questions for that!

• To everyone - I have been in touch with Apple and they are looking into all the issues with the pre-orders and the bundle issues. If anyone as an issue, contact Apple support and hopefully they will try to help you since they are now aware of the problems.

• @Calverhall - it might be an issue of the synth not reacting fast enough to the note off's. I have that a lot when I connect Gestrument to Digital Performer, but not when controlling stand alone synths and sample banks. So I think it's an issue in how some synths handle the note on/off of a repeated note. I've checked the actual midi output several times and it is fine.

• @JesperNordin said:
    To everyone - I have been in touch with Apple and they are looking into all the issues with the pre-orders and the bundle issues. If anyone as an issue, contact Apple support and hopefully they will try to help you since they are now aware of the problems.

Cool hopefully the bundle pricing will be sorted.