Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gadget effects= weak

Gadget does so many things really well but the effects are weak.
Its this point that working in ‘the box’ kills me. There are many awesome and creative effects out there that i would love to incorperate using gadget, which you can (via aum, ab), but only on one instance, not individual korg channels. Would be great if they upgraded or even had iap’s for new effects, especially reverbs and delays They’ve supplied enough synths and drums at this point, if thats even possible ;)
How about it korg?
Your thoughts or ideas?

Comments

• Agree, especially the "one and only" send reverb could use with a few more parameters than... errr... length :D

• @SevenSystems said:
    Agree, especially the "one and only" send reverb could use with a few more parameters than... errr... length :D

Haha totally, I refuse to touch it. Also turning a knob having no idea whats its doing is lame: the efx 1 and 2 knobs within certain gadgets. Yes i understand that their functions change pending effect but some type labeling would really help.

• edited September 2018

Maybe that's why everyone is complaining about Gadget's battery drain... nobody uses the send reverb and instead puts one in every channel :D (number one arch sin of every newbie music "producer") (probably also the reason why people nowadays need an eight - core 50000 THz machine to make a chiptune) ;) SORRYYYY

• Track flat in Gadget then stem out and mix in Auria Pro: Fx Bliss!

• Gadget doesn't need to host AUv3 instruments (if only), but it does need to host AUv3 effects - not that it ever will. I export out of Gadge to the PC to mix and master.

• @sch said:
    Track flat in Gadget then stem out and mix in Auria Pro: Fx Bliss!

Sounds fun but want different effects on different gadget channels.
    Ex: a dubstation delay on Phoenix and a kosmonaut delay on Berlin.
    Is this possible via auria pro?

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    Gadget doesn't need to host AUv3 instruments (if only), but it does need to host AUv3 effects - not that it ever will. I export out of Gadge to the PC to mix and master.

Agreed, one can only hope!

• @sch said:

Problem is that especially in more intricate EDM, the sound and effects are an integral part of the inspiration and songwriting process, so that isn't a 100% solution.

• @sch said:

The Fab Filters are amazing but for me any touch screen app that forces you to ‘long press’ is the enemy.

• @breilly said:

@sch said:

Sounds fun but want different effects on different gadget channels.
    Ex: a dubstation delay on Phoenix and a kosmonaut delay on Berlin.
    Is this possible via auria pro?

Of course... each channel in AP can load up to 4 FX/etc devices. (In-built/AU/IAA etc). Using parallel channels, you can increase this amount or use the additional channel it just control the FX mix per instrument track from the Gadget stems.

• Yes agreed don’t like the effects always been weak.

• @SevenSystems said:

@sch said:

Problem is that especially in more intricate EDM, the sound and effects are an integral part of the inspiration and songwriting process, so that isn't a 100% solution.

Agreed, I use the in-built Gadget effects while tracking for this exact reason. I then disable the IFX on all channels before I stem out to AP. Then I recreate the effects there, with much more control and sonic palette.

• @SevenSystems said:

@sch said:

The only 100% solution for competitve genre sports like EDM is still desktop.

• @sch said:

@SevenSystems said:

@sch said:

Agreed, I use the in-built Gadget effects while tracking for this exact reason. I then disable the IFX on all channels before I stem out to AP. Then I recreate the effects there, with much more control and sonic palette.

Yep, used to be my workflow with NanoStudio. Nowadays I work with Xequence -> SunVox and stopped complaining about sonic flexibility :D

• @SevenSystems said:

@sch said:

well maybe you should add instruments and effects to your app?

• I like using the in built effects which a particular gadget might have, not so much thinking about them as inline effects, but as part of the instrument itself. The mixing effects are fair enough to ‘dummy up’ the idea of what the balance of the tracks will be like, but when I export them as separate audio tracks in Gadget on macOS, those don’t carry over (which is just as well really).

• @breilly said:
    Gadget does so many things really well but the effects are weak.
    Its this point that working in ‘the box’ kills me. There are many awesome and creative effects out there that i would love to incorperate using gadget, which you can (via aum, ab), but only on one instance, not individual korg channels. Would be great if they upgraded or even had iap’s for new effects, especially reverbs and delays They’ve supplied enough synths and drums at this point, if thats even possible ;)
    How about it korg?
    Your thoughts or ideas?

No joke. I mean, I'm able to get an approximate of the final mix I have in mind when mixing in Gadget, but...

A. Not enough IFX slots.
    B. Effects that are kinda weak.
    C. No f---ing saturation IFX.
    D. No f---ing ensemble IFX.

Korg is sometimes the most innovative company, and sometimes they're absolutely stuck behind the times/take too many shortcuts. Look at how long it took for Korg to give us Vancouver, and even then it's just a simple melodic sampler rather than a melodic multisampler. We FINALLY have Files support, but their current file system is borked (although we were promised an update soon). Something as simple as renaming tracks has STILL not been implemented - a feature we've asked for since Gadget's initial release in December 2013.

I swear, I would pay IAP money for more/better IFX, like a 10-band parametric EQ, better-sounding verb, ensemble IFX, or even better if it's an AU shell IFX so I can use Pro-Q2 and K-Shaper! More IFX slots, and IFX slots on the master channel too. There need to be better options in other words.

Hopefully @davis_korgrd will see this now that I've tagged him. :) I LOVE Gadget. It's my favourite app, and I won't stop using it just because there are things that are lacking. I'm just glad we have a primative form of Files support so that stem export doesn't take forever and that I can bounce out to 96kHz/24-bit for precise closest-to-analogue-you're-gonna-get mixing in Auria Pro with my beloved FabFilter plugs.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

@sch said:

@SevenSystems said:

@sch said:

This.

Very happy to have files app support for stem export!

• @sch said:

@SevenSystems said:

@sch said:

Auria Pro is a really powerful mixing tool with the effects it’s no joke
    I find that Cubasis is gaining traction with the wide variety of AUv3 availability
    I suggest stemming Gadget out and mixing else where unless Kong goes AUv3
    Any time soon you definitely do not need a desktop to achieve this.
    You can mix and master a song totally in IOS.

• @oldschoolwillie said:

@sch said:

@SevenSystems said:

@sch said:

I find that Cubasis is gaining traction with the wide variety of AUv3 availability

Positively. To me whether BeatMaker 3, Cubasis, GarageBand or Gadget is your preferred production DAW environment it’s silly not to use Auria Pro as the mixing/mastering DAW environment.

The ability to control bussing, subgroups, the litany of FabFilter plugins that are still Auria exclusive, the automation facilities, the ability to turn the iPad over into portrait mode so the faders get to be 100mm long throw style for precise level changes & fader rides, etc.

It’s a personal decision of course but it’s just really as close to mixing with an actual mixer as it gets right now on iOS...

• @JRSIV said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

@sch said:

@SevenSystems said:

@sch said:

Positively. To me whether BeatMaker 3, Cubasis, GarageBand or Gadget is your preferred production DAW environment it’s silly not to use Auria Pro as the mixing/mastering DAW environment.

The ability to control bussing, subgroups, the litany of FabFilter plugins that are still Auria exclusive, the automation facilities, the ability to turn the iPad over into portrait mode so the faders get to be 100mm long throw style for precise level changes & fader rides, etc.

It’s a personal decision of course but it’s just really as close to mixing with an actual mixer as it gets right now on iOS...

But ‘long press’... ....ugh

• edited September 2018

@JRSIV said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

@sch said:

@SevenSystems said:

@sch said:

Having gotten really into mixing with Harrison's 'Mixbus' DAW and studying that quite deeply recently, I now see the same kind of workflow represented in Auria Pro (just without nearly as much hype, promo and supporting documentation surrounding it). It's a very powerful and productive workflow! I'd previously been drawing comparisons to the 'nested plugins' style of DAW workflow, but the bussing/grouping flow with most processing on the channels themselves is really great and definitely more efficient. For me personally it's also faster. I prefer the channel strips and DSP of Mixbus to Auria Pro personally, but the PSP strips in Auria Pro are also first class and I'd be more than comfortable mixing on there (just rarely do because if I'm sitting with studio monitors in front of me, I'm by necessity already in front of my laptop..).

• Funny

I find that the reverb and delay are just fine

Gadget is good for people who want to make electronica for the dance floor

Until NS2 comes I don’t see anything other than GarageBand that is a suitable self contained eco system for credible dance music to be fair

I like what it gets me to do at least if you kindly lend me your ears

• @mindscaper said:
    Until NS2 comes I don’t see anything other than GarageBand that is a suitable self contained eco system for credible dance music to be fair

Auxy.

• @mindscaper said:

Gadget is good for people who want to make electronica for the dance floor

Here’s a track of mine, entirely Gadget (except for the vocals) and is as far from the dance floor as I could imagine – it’s just straight pop (I think).

Mere Unfound

• @mindscaper, for "basic" and "mainstream" dancefloor, it might be OK. But for really complex genres, like melodic / progressive / deep trance, its routing and effects are just too inflexible.

• @OscarSouth said:

@mindscaper said:

Please post auxy examples :)

• edited September 2018

@mindscaper said:

@OscarSouth said:

@mindscaper said:

Go look for literally 1000s of examples on their forum: https://disco.auxy.co/ (I don't write dance music personally). Also I reckon if you scroll through the newsfeed on the app's front page you'll find a dosen or so links to listen to or even open up project files of kickin' tracks that fit the description.

Personally, by far the best sounding 'contemporary' (as in popular mainsteam styles) electronic music from the iOS platform that I've heard has been produced with Auxy.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @mindscaper, for "basic" and "mainstream" dancefloor, it might be OK. But for really complex genres, like melodic / progressive / deep trance, its routing and effects are just too inflexible.

Hmmm

I’ve heard decent trance made in gadget , drum and bass and even intense glitch stuff

This was on gadget cloud ages ago, it was proper stuff and I hope you don’t just listen to gadget stuff posted on here, cause so many people use music apps that don’t post here ( it’s a big wider world out there lol)

Anyway,.. if you have any links to decent non gadget trance especially the deeper progressive side ( like what Sasha would play) please link

• @OscarSouth said:

@mindscaper said:

@OscarSouth said:

@mindscaper said:

Go look for literally 1000s of examples on their forum: https://disco.auxy.co/ (I don't write dance music personally). Also I reckon if you scroll through the newsfeed on the app's front page you'll find a dosen or so links to listen to or even open up project files of kickin' tracks that fit the description.

Ok I will thanks

I don’t vibe with auxy tho but for those that do and can create good things with it then that’s amazing they can get stuff done with it

ios has tons of cool tools:)

It’s what you do with them that counts- put the hours in