Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Files app: Content Unavailable Due to Unknown Error?

Comments

• @Carnbot said:

@gusgranite said:

@Carnbot said:
    Feedback on this bug just sent to Apple. Have just been importing samples to AudioLayer
    So frustrating. Seems to happen with "on my ipad" folders.

I had it too for weeks. Submitted Apple bug but just got the scripted response that didn’t help. Then it went away either because of a) an Apple update (I’m now on the latest iOS), b) I was nearing my max capacity so I cleared a lot of samples off the iPad (most likely fix in my situation), or c) some other unknown fix...

Plenty of space left on mine and on latest iOS, reinstalled Files app hasn't helped either. But yes it's probably because it's only designed for the consumer still and not pro use yet...

Have you power-cycled the iPad?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Carnbot said:

@gusgranite said:

@Carnbot said:
    Feedback on this bug just sent to Apple. Have just been importing samples to AudioLayer
    So frustrating. Seems to happen with "on my ipad" folders.

I had it too for weeks. Submitted Apple bug but just got the scripted response that didn’t help. Then it went away either because of a) an Apple update (I’m now on the latest iOS), b) I was nearing my max capacity so I cleared a lot of samples off the iPad (most likely fix in my situation), or c) some other unknown fix...

Plenty of space left on mine and on latest iOS, reinstalled Files app hasn't helped either. But yes it's probably because it's only designed for the consumer still and not pro use yet...

Have you power-cycled the iPad?

oh yes, tried that a few times :)

• I sent in a bug report a few hours ago on this. Then talked to tech support who wanted me to update from 12.1.1 up. Went to the next point version and it didn’t help and now I’ve updated to the latest iOS beta, and no surprise, it’s not helping.

This has been going on about a year for me and I have nearly 100gb left on this iPad. My guess is that it’s some number of files somewhere causing it, but if there’s an upper limit to files then Apple should acknlowledge and publish that.

• Yeah I think it's a number of files issue. That's not acceptable if so, they can't sell these as "Pro" with that kind of limitation. I've been deleting some folders and I think I may have solved it, seems more stable now. Maybe each app has a number of files limitation.

• To be honest, if it is a "too many files" situation, Apple better fix it and quick. I can't express how frustrating it is when Apple claims their iPad Pros are "Pro devices" and yet have consumer limitations, their canned replies, etc. This should be considered a critical bug fix for something so basic.

I still haven't had the issue since I deleted iZip Pro, but come to think of it in hindsight, the problem occurred once I unzipped the zip file from KB6.com. Over 10,000 drum samples in that pack. It doesn't happen when the pack is in Audioshare, because Audioshare seems to be separate from "On My iPad". However, this means if I wanted to transfer all of my drum samples into Nanostudio 2 from Audioshare, and NS2 didn't have the ability to unzip zip files, I'd be royally fucked once I pass 5000 files and have to transfer the rest "one by one" using "open in". (Does Nanostudio 2 have the ability to open .zip files full of samples? Or only project-related? @dendy )

• Yes, I'm certain that's what's caused it for me too, I've been using an app called local storage for a repository of files and kept loads of midi files, samples, image and video files to be transferred into other apps when ready. I must have gone over an amount acceptable by the Files app. I think it's just the Files app at fault though not the OS so that should be an easy enough to fix, when they get around to upgrade it.

• What’s odd about this is, it’s intermittent. After powering down the device (Pro 10.5) the issue clears for a bit. Sometimes. Same with using the two button cycling protocol, sometimes clears the issue sometimes not.

• I wonder if it's because it's re-indexing the files and is ok for a while until it reaches the limit again. Just a guess though.

• @Carnbot said:
    I wonder if it's because it's re-indexing the files and is ok for a while until it reaches the limit again. Just a guess though.

I think that’s a good guess

• edited January 2019

@jwmmakerofmusic
    Does Nanostudio 2 have the ability to open .zip files full of samples? Or only project-related? @dendy )

If you open zip file using apple's "open in nanostudio" standard dialogue from any app (inćuding audioshare for example), NS unpacks that file and places all meaningfull files (including subdirectories) from that zip archive where they belongs - Obsidian patches to obsidian patch directory, Slate banks to Slate banks directory and samples to Library/Inbox

At least theoretically, i did not test it with large archives :-)

• tjatja
    edited January 2019

@jwmmakerofmusic I had this reproducable with both AudioShare (about 1000 AudioBus files) and DEVONthink To Go (lots of PDFs), when there are many files in one folder.
    The Apps themselves do not have problems with this, but accessing over the Files App has.
    I could only fix the Files App by a hard reboot.
    I even spoke to an Apple support member who "never saw such many files before".
    I did not open a separate case at Apple.
    I solved the situation by splitting folders into several with less files.

• edited January 2019

on other side - guys like a really ? 1000+ files in single folder ?

I was always trying avoid this even on desktop :)

This! Split to subfolders, categorize things, it must be hell to search something speciffic in gigantic list of thousands files in single folder ... Sounds like pretty much nightmare to me :-)

• @Carnbot said:
    I wonder if it's because it's re-indexing the files and is ok for a while until it reaches the limit again. Just a guess though.

That actually sounds pretty convincing. If they're using the same "technology" as Spotlight on the Mac, then it's no surprise it's royally messed up -- every time I get a Mac, first thing I have to do is hard-disable everything Spotlight related, because otherwise, the Mac will take several minutes to respond to every mouseclick, every time.

• @dendy said:
    on other side - guys like a really ? 1000+ files in single folder ?

I was always trying avoid this even on desktop :)

The Audulus patches are just in one folder, and before extracting you don't even know.

And lots of zip files for WAV or images or web archives also contains several thousand files.

iOS should be able to handle that - as every other OS I ever saw.

• I don’t get the idea of keeping thousands of samples on an iPad or iPhone.

Be honest. You’ll never use most of them.

There’s a certain amount of “hoarder” involved there methinks. I was once guilty of it myself. ;)

• Not necessarily. If you’ve spent twenty plus years curating a sample library where you know where most files are and can access them quickly for what you need, I wouldn’t say that’s hoarding. If the device is marketed as pro, having hundreds of files in folders shouldn’t be a limitation.

@anickt said:
    I don’t get the idea of keeping thousands of samples on an iPad or iPhone.

Be honest. You’ll never use most of them.

There’s a certain amount of “hoarder” involved there methinks. I was once guilty of it myself. ;)

• Working with large numbers of files is just normal when working as a creative pro. iPad file manager will have to deal with it eventually and take it out the "executive toy" zone. Audiolayer can work with thousands of samples per instrument. The New ipad pro has 1TB of space and this will get bigger.

The hardware is outrunning the software and Apple will need to address it (as their recent stock plunge is probably telling them, hopefully). You can't spend that much money on an ipad and have it basically just an entertainment device.

• edited January 2019

@bounce
    . If you’ve spent twenty plus years curating a sample library where you know where most files are and can access them quickly for what you need, I wouldn’t say that’s hoarding.

But you would probably not collect samples for 20 years into single one folder :)) That would be insane.
    You would probably collect such library nice categorised to folders, subfolders, subsubolders, to be able actually access them quickly for what you need. That's why i was wondering about thousand files in single folder. As i said, i had bad experience with tousands of files in single folder even on desktop (on Windows to be more speciffic)

@tja
    The Audulus patches are just in one folder, and before extracting you don't even know.

Uhm, ok i would call this as obvious app design flaw (althought of course i thing Autulus is totally awesome genial app)

• edited January 2019

I don’t have a folder structure like that. Of course it’s segmented into other folders. And sometimes it’s good to have folders full of a ton of files anyway for reasons you might not be aware of or need.

I was responding to: “I don’t get the idea of keeping thousands of samples on an iPad or iPhone.”

• In my 30+ years as a creative professional, the most useful thing to me has not been having a huge collection of files sitting on my computer mostly unused and taking up space (not to mention the time taken to “curate” them) but rather using online services to choose what I need per project. I agree with @dendy post above. But - to each their own! B)

• @tja said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic I had this reproducable with both AudioShare (about 1000 AudioBus files) and DEVONthink To Go (lots of PDFs), when there are many files in one folder.
    The Apps themselves do not have problems with this, but accessing over the Files App has.
    I could only fix the Files App by a hard reboot.
    I even spoke to an Apple support member who "never saw such many files before".
    I did not open a separate case at Apple.

Ah! Okay, well none of my other packs should suffer this issue. :) It was one (free) pack with (I think) well over 1000 drum machine folders. Creating an A-M and an N-Z directory each would've likely solved it.

• @anickt said:
    In my 30+ years as a creative professional, the most useful thing to me has not been having a huge collection of files sitting on my computer mostly unused and taking up space (not to mention the time taken to “curate” them) but rather using online services to choose what I need per project. I agree with @dendy post above. But - to each their own! B)

Thankfully no process or truth is universal otherwise the music would be boring.

• @dendy said:

@tja

Uhm, ok i would call this as obvious app design flaw (althought of course i thing Autulus is totally awesome genial app)

This is just a zip file with Audulus Patches.
    It has nothing to do with the App.

• I’ve started having this issue myself a couple days ago.its happened before here and there but it started happening every time I opened my files app or tried opening GarageBand songs on my iPad. Powering off didn’t help so I upgraded my IOS, didn’t help. Deleted and reinstalled the files app, didn’t help. So I tried going to the location tab and turning off “ on my iPad “, then turning it back on and it seems to have helped at the moment. I’ll see how long it last until I get that error again. Note that when I turned it off I hit “done” before I turned it back on.

• Worked for me! For about three minutes

• Content unavailable due to unknown error, 

When the message started to appear?

It was not when i moved my folder that contain 100s of files into my iphone, but when i tried to go inside iphone storage section inside iphone setting,

If you go down to the part where you can find which app consume how much megabytes,

Here i can pick any app and go inside for more details, except the keynote app, iphone stuck immediately.

This was the point where you can go back to files and start seeing the mentioned message(Content unavailable due to unknown error)

I guess the reason is not because of the folder contains 100s of files but because there are some unsupported files some where in my folders tree,

Any way i found a solution to put everything as it was,

I did use the solution provided by STRIZBIZ, and it also worked for a few minutes,

A small modification that eliminated the issue is turning off (on my phone) from locations list inside THE KEYNOTE APP Not the files app, of courses it will be turned off from both, 

After turning it off from keynote app turn it on again but from files app, 

One more issue i was facing in parallel with this issue, that all deleted files not listed in recently deleted section,

Now i can see them there.

• edited February 2019

Please file a bug report with Apple. This is a really annoying bug and as many reports they get will hopefully push them to fix it. :)

it looks like it's definitely a problem with certain files or how they are named. I had this problem and deleted a folder which contained 50 midi files and the problem disappeared.

drat, it disappeared but then came back :neutral:

• Yes, pleaseeee report to Apple! It will not be fixed otherwise

• Wow. Just ran into this and this is the first hit on google. We are our only hope.