Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Egoist AUv3 - Beat not working?

i'm teaching myself Egoist and I've noticed that when I pull it up as an AU, the Beat section doesn't play and I can't load a drum kit. Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• All working fine on mine @Daveypoo.
    Air2 ios12

• Working here too, Air2 iOS 12

• @Daveypoo said:
    i'm teaching myself Egoist and I've noticed that when I pull it up as an AU, the Beat section doesn't play and I can't load a drum kit. Anyone else experience this?

Try opening in standalone first.

• Open in standalone first

• Ok - I must be living in Bizarrotown.

I built up a sequence in Egoist standalone earlier today. I saved the preset and closed out standalone, opening apeMatrix. I loaded an instance of Egoist and loaded my saved preset and the drums didn't work. I had experienced this same issue when I first installed Egoist but I hadn't opened the standalone at that time.

Anyway, I just opened the standalone again and launched apeMatrix while standalone was still open. Now the Au works fine, with or without the standalone open.

WTF?!?!?!?

I'm fine with it working, but that was just weird....

• I love Egoist and truly appreciate the AUv3 version. But damn. I've seen weirdness going between standalone and AU routinely. I load a sample in standalone and save. Go to AU and load the preset and seems good. Fiddle in DAW and come back to find the sample missing and a text directory showing where the sample should be. Not complaining but.... It's a bit flaky still.

• edited September 2018

Yup, it has it’s kinks but Sugar Bytes has always been good at ironing them out. I sure hope BM3 also updates its AU scaling to avoid the panning in the window that is currently going on.

• @AudioGus said:

Yup, it has it’s kinks but Sugar Bytes has always been good at ironing them out. I sure hope BM3 also updates its AU scaling to avoid the panning in the window that is currently going on.

Yeah it's not a big deal but annoying to have to drag the window up to get the patterns. Fingers crossed!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@AudioGus said:

Yeah it's not a big deal but annoying to have to drag the window up to get the patterns. Fingers crossed!

It is more of a testament to just how gosh darn perfect it was. It deserves the same as an AU.

• @AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AudioGus said:

It is more of a testament to just how gosh darn perfect it was. It deserves the same as an AU.

So true.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

Redoing the UI to be scalable could be a huge effort depending on how the graphics were done. I’m guessing they’re all bit mapped, not vector graphics. Could be a huge time investment for virtually no payback. I can’t imagine anyone making a buy decision based on that feature or lack thereof. I’m gonna just learn to live with the scrolling.

• edited September 2018

You need to load the kit first.

Not sure if it’s the same issue but I remember being puzzled by the lack of sound until I saw empty in the kit box. Seems like egoist defaults everything to empty in AU.

• @Daveypoo said:

Egoist is a shit show since AU.

Remember other day Davey we talked about SBytes Turnado.

This is lumped in to my displeasure with the AU scenario.

Egoist is too robust to size to screen etc.

Turnado I want m XY

So AU swing and miss for me with Sugar Bytes.

• edited September 2018

@wim said:
    Redoing the UI to be scalable could be a huge effort depending on how the graphics were done. I’m guessing they’re all bit mapped, not vector graphics. Could be a huge time investment for virtually no payback. I can’t imagine anyone making a buy decision based on that feature or lack thereof. I’m gonna just learn to live with the scrolling.

It is already scalable just fine, I meant fixing BM3 to scale AUs better. If you open the FX panel you can see it is possible. Sometimes I even use it like this, but yah pretty tiny, They just need to allow users to maybe adjust the scale by bringing in the left panel themselves to taste (and of course saving that info per session).

• I do love having states save in sessions now so it is worth the hickups for me.

• Does anyone know how to change patterns when using Egoist as an AU in a DAW such as Cubasis? So I have figured out how to get the AU working, and how to get some sort of control from the DAW, but am not sure how to have the DAW instruct Egoist to change patterns.

I think the first problem I couldn't figure out was why Egoist wouldn't play the Bass/drums or Effects while working in a DAW. Then I realized you need to have the pattern mode selected and not the keyboard mode with the bottom left button.

And now I am trying to figure out how to build a number of patterns, and then have the DAW control when they are chosen. Has anyone come across this piece of info yet?

• @fotizimo said:
    Does anyone know how to change patterns when using Egoist as an AU in a DAW such as Cubasis? So I have figured out how to get the AU working, and how to get some sort of control from the DAW, but am not sure how to have the DAW instruct Egoist to change patterns.

I think the first problem I couldn't figure out was why Egoist wouldn't play the Bass/drums or Effects while working in a DAW. Then I realized you need to have the pattern mode selected and not the keyboard mode with the bottom left button.

And now I am trying to figure out how to build a number of patterns, and then have the DAW control when they are chosen. Has anyone come across this piece of info yet?

Page 10 of the manual explains it...

http://downloads.sugar-bytes.de/manuals/Egoist.pdf

• Unless I am missing something, that is only referencing how to start/stop when used within a host, but doesn't mention how to migrate through various patterns.

Athough on pg12 it mentions:

Pattern Selector.
    Selects the pattern that you wish to play. MIDI Learn (right click) the arrows in the pattern selector

this is giving you sixteen playable slice keyboards complete with settings, effects etc. Extremely handy for live purposes.

I will test this latter and see if I can get midi to control when the pattern moves from 1 to 2 and so on.

• Actually,> @AudioGus said:

Actually, it looks like the manual you linked to is the full-blown VST version.

The IOS version has a slightly different guide, which seems to have different info on pg16:

http://downloads.sugar-bytes.de/manuals/Egoist_iPad.pdf

• @fotizimo said:
    Actually,> @AudioGus said:

The IOS version has a slightly different guide, which seems to have different info on pg16:

Isnt this what you wanted?

• @AudioGus said:

@fotizimo said:
    Actually,> @AudioGus said:

Isnt this what you wanted?

Strangely, I do not think that is how Egoist works when in AU mode, as the keys (C1 etc) seem to map to slices of the sample, and not the patterns, or at least that is what I found when I was trying it this morning.The global setting for external + host starts the pattern and while using as an AU the keys played slices of samples while the bass/beats pattern were playing as programmed.

Maybe I have to do more testing as I do not really know the app itself all that well. To be honest, I bought it early when it came out, and played with it, but I never really got it as I always wanted it to work with other apps. Now that it is an AU, I feel like I would like to fully understand how it works.

• @fotizimo said:
    Strangely, I do not think that is how Egoist works when in AU mode, as the keys (C1 etc) seem to map to slices of the sample, and not the patterns, or at least that is what I found when I was trying it this morning.The global setting for external + host starts the pattern and while using as an AU the keys played slices of samples while the bass/beats pattern were playing as programmed.

Maybe I have to do more testing as I do not really know the app itself all that well. To be honest, I bought it early when it came out, and played with it, but I never really got it as I always wanted it to work with other apps. Now that it is an AU, I feel like I would like to fully understand how it works.

Have you clicked the little keyboard icon to the bottom left of the screen?
    This selects between different modes, pattern select or slice select