Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

adventures in outboard gear with ios - Korg Volca keys

Hi all. So last night I had set myself a goal. Send a sequence from Xynthesizr to my Korg Volca keys. Hooked up with my Presonus iTwo ... configured Xynthesizr (man that's hard to type) midi settings, iPad recognized my Presonus instantly. All good so far.

Then I sent my sequence out to Korg Volca. Nothing. Ok, so I tried changing the midi channel and landed on 2. It started playing an internal sequence I had stored on the Volca. Ok, midi is getting there. Turned off sequence manually on volca and I got just the lowest octave of my sequence, sent from Xynth ...

No matter what I did I could get no more of the notes other than from lowest octave from my sequence in Xynthesizr in to the Volca. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Trying to go from memory here. But Xynthesizr has option to send different channels depending on the key range, doesn't it?

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Midi implementation chart is your friend :wink:
    http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/USA_volcakeys_MIDI_Chart_E.pdf

Thanks Dubby!

@senhorlampada I don't recall seeing that but I'll look into it. Thanks for chiming in!

• edited September 2018

@kinkujin said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Thanks Dubby!

@senhorlampada I don't recall seeing that but I'll look into it. Thanks for chiming in!

It suposes to be the recieved (and send if you mod it) data so maybe it’s the mode what droves you mad? Check whatever it means and set it properly to your needs :wink:

Extra:
    http://fabriziopoce.com/volcacontrol.html

http://www.fabriziopoce.com/VKeys-UG.pdf

• edited September 2018

Would love something like this on ios ... or is there? .... (suddenly feel stupid and feel like the answer lies in front of me but I cannot put the pieces together)

• @kinkujin said:
    Would love something like this on ios ... or is there? .... (suddenly feel stupid and feel like the answer lies in front of me but I cannot put the pieces together)

Not at the moment.

• @kinkujin said:

I once started on a set of Lemur templates to do that. But I stopped after (half-finishing) the Beats template :#

• @brambos said:

@kinkujin said:

I once started on a set of Lemur templates to do that. But I stopped after (half-finishing) the Beats template :#

sad ...

• @kinkujin said:

There is an app called RouteMIDIApp that resides in an IOS DAW as an AU and is supposed to send midi to outboard gear such as you describe. I bought it the other day, but haven't yet tried it yet with my Volcas as i need to redo all my midi. Maybe that is what you are looking for.

• @fotizimo said:

@kinkujin said:

There is an app called RouteMIDIApp that resides in an IOS DAW as an AU and is supposed to send midi to outboard gear such as you describe. I bought it the other day, but haven't yet tried it yet with my Volcas as i need to redo all my midi. Maybe that is what you are looking for.

Cool ... i'll look it up. Thank you.

• As seen here you can easily drive multiple volcas with a single iOS device. You probably just have the midi settings wrong in either the idevice or the volca.

• @kinkujin said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Thanks Dubby!

The Volva sequencer would start playing if it receives MIDI Clock....make sure this is off on your host or set the Volca to use local clock.
    There is also a note in the MIDI Implementation about Notes - Received when global parameter MIDI RX ShortMessage is set to ON.

Don't have the volca so cannot help with where or how to set these on the unit.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@kinkujin said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Thanks Dubby!

The Volva sequencer would start playing if it receives MIDI Clock....make sure this is off on your host or set the Volca to use local clock.
    There is also a note in the MIDI Implementation about Notes - Received when global parameter MIDI RX ShortMessage is set to ON.

You can set it to receive clock and still ignore start/stop messages. Another trick is to just empty all the stored patterns that way even if the pattern starts to play it won't affect anything.

• That is great. Lovely sound.

So, yeah, you're probably right. I can easily get overwhelmed with the choices.
    Have you ever used Xynthesizr for anything like the above vid? Thanks!

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

As seen here you can easily drive multiple volcas with a single iOS device. You probably just have the midi settings wrong in either the idevice or the volca.

This sounds awesome!
    I tried this exact set up but failed miserably! Do you have Modstep set up to receive the Volca Sample as individual midi channels per sample? I have the Retrokits cable which I thought would make things simpler, but it just confused things even more for me! I must admit, I find Modstep quite intimidating.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@kinkujin said:

@Dubbylabby said:

Thanks Dubby!

You can set it to receive clock and still ignore start/stop messages. Another trick is to just empty all the stored patterns that way even if the pattern starts to play it won't affect anything.> @Oblique said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

As seen here you can easily drive multiple volcas with a single iOS device. You probably just have the midi settings wrong in either the idevice or the volca.

This sounds awesome!
    I tried this exact set up but failed miserably! Do you have Modstep set up to receive the Volca Sample as individual midi channels per sample? I have the Retrokits cable which I thought would make things simpler, but it just confused things even more for me! I must admit, I find Modstep quite intimidating.

Yep. In this video I was sending individual lanes for channels 1-10. Set the keys and bass to receive channels 11 and 12.

• I'll have to see if I can trick my UNOSynth to forward the incoming midi to the output so I can drive the Volca Bass from that :) (I disabled that feature before to avoid 'midi-loops').