Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How long can SoundCloud sustain?

edited September 2018 in Other

A business cannot run on investor funds alone forever - at some point the operators need to execute and show results. Sustainability should be the core value of any business. Quora was valued at almost 2 billion dollars even before they monetized it. Looking at Twitter, Facebook, etc. SoundCloud is nowhere near even a fraction of that kind of traction. Minus, the quality of most of the content on SoundCloud is appalling - just plain bland junk music with no taste (except for some exceptional users).

https://www.businessinsider.com/tomorrow-is-do-or-die-for-soundcloud-2017-8
https://www.google.com/search?q=soundcloud+valuation

https://www.google.com/search?q=quora+valuation

Comments

• Seeing what they promote on their homepage keeps me far far away from it.

Stick with Bandcamp.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would really miss soundcloud, been using them for free for years. Of course I have my complaints which has held me back from being a paid user, just like almost everyone on that site. No wonder they have been on the verge of going under for years. Hopefully they can find a business model that works. The Pro level should be $1/month not $10.

• @LucidMusicInc any difficulty uploading from Cubasis to Bandcsmp? Cost? Thanks!

• I looked up Choon as an alternative. Ironically I posted a thread about it when @o_imseng posted a track on it. I thought others might be interested. If SC is unstable I will look for another host. So in the SC agreement:

By uploading User Content to the Choon Services you also grant a limited, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid up, licence to other users of the Choon Services, and to operators and users of any other websites, apps and/or platforms to which User Content has been shared or embedded using the Choon Services (“Linked Services”) to use, copy listen to offline, repost, transmit or otherwise distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, adapt, prepare derivative works of, compile, make available and otherwise communicate to the public, Your Content utilising the features of the Choon Services from time to time, and within the parameters set by you using the Choon Services. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in the Agreements grants any rights to any other user of the Choon Services with respect to any proprietary name, logo, trademark or service mark that you submit in connection with Your Content, other than the right to reproduce, publicly display, make available and otherwise communicate to the public the same, automatically and without alteration, as part of the act of reposting User Content with which you have associated the same.

For me it probably is no problem to grant these non-exclusive but pretty all encompassing rights to virtually anyone, unless I am reading it wrong, of course.

• edited September 2018

All that is so that other Choon users can create playlists with your tune in it, for which you get the percentage payment you specifed when uploading it. The rights don’t apply outside the Choon framework.

• Hmmm @TheOriginalPaulB, are you sure about this? It seems to grant websites, apps and platforms to use, reproduce and distribute material on the Coon site. I ran a rights based commercial arts business and this seems pretty broad language, but perhaps you have investigated this more than I have,

• edited September 2018

As long as there’s no streaming without payment, how does that matter? Increasing a tune’s availability across a number of platforms just increases the chances you’ll get paid. If it’s non exclusive, you lose nothing. As I see it, the weak point is the bitcoin link in the payment chain. That has yet to be tested. I’m generally something of a cynic, but as I said in another thread, my music earns nothing at the moment, anything will be an improvement.

• Soundcloud is still great to upload demos and it works almost on every site with embed player.
    But it isn‘t the great thing it was some years ago.
    So i wouldn‘t miss it really.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @LucidMusicInc any difficulty uploading from Cubasis to Bandcsmp? Cost? Thanks!

Just upload via Safari. Needs to be .wav format. With a decent connection speed it’s just as easy if not easier than SC to upload and it’s free. You can opt in for some extra services for a nominal fee, less than SCs rates. Best of all you can actually make money using it.

• @LinearLineman I did some searching after I read the rights thing for Choon. The language is identical for Soundcloud as well. With Choon, you have the option to get paid at some point. However, with Spotify going free for artist upload, and paying something like $0.0038 per stream, you have the option to get paid now.

• Thanks @LucidMusicInc and @mjcouche. That is so interesting about the rights thing,

• For me as an unsophisticated moron, the main benefit of Soundclown is that most DAWs (I’m including AudioShare here) have a “export to SoundCloud “ button for easy posting. The day there’s a alternative button on all these DAWs is the day I’ll use it.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    For me as an unsophisticated moron, the main benefit of Soundclown is that most DAWs (I’m including AudioShare here) have a “export to SoundCloud “ button for easy posting. The day there’s a alternative button on all these DAWs is the day I’ll use it.

Even Ableton Live does it ( with Live 10... You can upload MP3’s now, not just WAV files)...

• lol so at $0.0038 per stream, even if Spotify is paying "straight away" I guess best option is to spread the same content on the maximum platforms you can, and be ready to be booked for a live...

• edited September 2018

@Cib said:
    Soundcloud is still great to upload demos and it works almost on every site with embed player.
    But it isn‘t the great thing it was some years ago.
    So i wouldn‘t miss it really.

The issue with their player is that it downloads the entire audio in the background asynchronously increasing the page size (making it ready to play) and Google doesn't like large pages that slow to load and does not rank such pages on the top of their search results. Most of the time, users don't bother to click the Play button in the player where it is is embedded and the whole downloaded media was for nothing and goes waste. In the process, the SEO of the page where the player was embedded takes a hit.

• edited September 2018

@1nsomniak said:
    I would really miss soundcloud, been using them for free for years. Of course I have my complaints which has held me back from being a paid user, just like almost everyone on that site. No wonder they have been on the verge of going under for years. Hopefully they can find a business model that works. The Pro level should be $1/month not $10.

Sure, they could gain more paid clients and make more money by lowering their pricing.

• Now that Spotify has launched it's artist accounts where anyone can upload directly to Spotify for free I think that will kill Soundcloud.

• @MobileMusic said:

@1nsomniak said:
    I would really miss soundcloud, been using them for free for years. Of course I have my complaints which has held me back from being a paid user, just like almost everyone on that site. No wonder they have been on the verge of going under for years. Hopefully they can find a business model that works. The Pro level should be $1/month not $10.

Sure, they could gain more paid clients and make more money by lowering their pricing.

Yeah I’m sure some people are getting overpaid there and they’re just fleecing vulnerable young artists who are forced to use it try and get ahead in the music industry. They’re part of a sinister conspiracy I’m certain about it.

• @rms13 said:
    Now that Spotify has launched it's artist accounts where anyone can upload directly to Spotify for free I think that will kill Soundcloud.

good point

• Another SoundCloud killer I’m using more of is Youtube. Kind of funny as they weren’t even pursuing the music market specifically but that’s where a lot of people go to check out new music now.

• soundcloud is Pinterest for music

• @palm said:
    soundcloud is Pinterest for music

More like Facebook

• After reading this thread, I felt so guilty about having a Soundcloud page that I went and made a Bandcamp page. B)

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @LucidMusicInc and @mjcouche. That is so interesting about the rights thing,

@LinearLineman as my agent, you should 😂

• edited November 2018

Holy Crap! I was listening to a playlist on SoundCloud and they are playing ads now. I clicked Skip each time for a dozen times now and it still keeps playing the same ad in between the songs from a local business - that's a loss to the sponsoring business in ad dollars when I'm indicating to SC that I'm not interested in that business but they are repeating the same annyoying ad with no optimization or switch to anther ad.

Which part of "Skip" is unclear to them? No wonder SC is what it is.

• Soundcloud is just fucking useless. It might as well be dropbox. I’ve had some of my stuff from the ’90s up there for the past five years, and one of the best tracks has had five views, in five years. Useless. It’s good music, too. Five views, in five fucking years. I’ve have had more if I’d just kept them on my hard drive.

• I stopped using Soundcloud entirely simply because the damn player takes too long to load.

People would getter better exposure on YouTube and there’s no upload limit!

• @u0421793 said:
    Soundcloud is just fucking useless. It might as well be dropbox.

It pretty much is like dropbox now, a place for free hosting of music. It doesnt deliver listeners, thats all dependent on off site promotion.

It still has its (waning) place and theres a ton of good music hidden in there but you have to go to other sites to find it lol

• edited November 2018

@u0421793 said:
    Soundcloud is just fucking useless. It might as well be dropbox. I’ve had some of my stuff from the ’90s up there for the past five years, and one of the best tracks has had five views, in five years. Useless. It’s good music, too. Five views, in five fucking years. I’ve have had more if I’d just kept them on my hard drive.

That's strange. I got over 500 views on some of my songs and all of them got likes (7 followers):

https://soundcloud.com/powerobject

Some of the (incomplete, work-in-progress) songs got downloaded too - before I forgot to turn off downloads on them, LOL :smiley: The downloads stopped after I turned them off. Got me thinking - what would they do with the downloaded songs that are incomplete.

I haven't uploaded my newer songs yet for 8 months.