Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Thoughts on audiobus new mixer view?

Trying out the new audiobus mixer view, not really feeling it.
What are your thoughts?

Comments

• I'd like to hear more about your thoughts too, @breilly!

• I'm a fan, I think it's just what the Dr ordered. It would take up less real estate is the apps ran vertical, but it's still really DOPE and I'm glad to see it, was a pleasant surprise

• Hey michael, first no disrespect, i love you work and i could never do it.
    However the new mixer just seems a bit redundant. Like what im doin over on this view i can also do in that view. Also i find there too many levels added to just one instance (over the instrument, the effects and the midi). Things get wide quickly. Personally i wish there were more routing options on the audiopage and the mixer page left cleaner and more stream lined. An example would be to be able to put a single loopy track in an effects slot and run other effects after it. But I lean towards the minimal style of things, maybe this benefits more towards others.

• Instead of side by side *

• I flat out love it. I'm thinking there could be some ways to compact it a bit maybe, but also see that the priority is (and should be) on touch friendliness. I'd rather scroll some than have to tap on tiny icons. A master channel might be nice. But then again, that would trigger the requests for buses, sub-mixes, etc. At that point I'd rather just involve a AUM or a DAW than have Audiobus become bloated.

Audiobus is now smack-dab at the center of virtually every music making session I start up. And I look forward to it every time. :)

• @wim said:
    I flat out love it. I'm thinking there could be some ways to compact it a bit maybe, but also see that the priority is (and should be) on touch friendliness. I'd rather scroll some than have to tap on tiny icons. A master channel might be nice. But then again, that would trigger the requests for buses, sub-mixes, etc. At that point I'd rather just involve a AUM or a DAW than have Audiobus become bloated.

Audiobus is now smack-dab at the center of virtually every music making session I start up. And I look forward to it every time. :)

:spiritanimalemoji:

I love it too. It buts right up against the need to load AUM. Perfectly. I mean, in the scenario where you need more than the AB mixer affords, AUM can be brought into the mix (ahem, ty, ty) with perfect AB integration in seconds. Really, thank you both.

• I like the new mixer view, clearly and smooth! But I would really like to see, midi learn for external HW controllers.

• edited September 2018

@breilly said:
    Hey michael, first no disrespect, i love you work and i could never do it.
    However the new mixer just seems a bit redundant. Like what im doin over on this view i can also do in that view. Also i find there too many levels added to just one instance (over the instrument, the effects and the midi). Things get wide quickly. Personally i wish there were more routing options on the audiopage and the mixer page left cleaner and more stream lined. An example would be to be able to put a single loopy track in an effects slot and run other effects after it. But I lean towards the minimal style of things, maybe this benefits more towards others.

Agree with that. @Michael : I find new mixer very useful with midi mixing and effects mix knobs. But it’s quickly very confusing, as effects are inserts and their faders are redundant with instruments faders. One idea could be to keep only effects mix knobs and perhaps bypass and even to make them hideable with a button on instrument mixer channel, with knobs shown vertically when their tab is open? Same with midi, should be hideable too. A configurable mixer in short. One thing AB mixer did better than AUM is readability, it was nice for live use. But now, we have to scroll a lot too. I write as others with full respect for your work, I love AB and use it everyday, just hope to help a little bit as we know you really listen to users feedback :)

Edit: AB remote could also benefit of buttons to hide AU instruments, midi and effects, everything can become pretty small quickly, here on iPhone 7 Plus:

• Despite the clutter, I think the faders and meters per FX are very useful for seeing and adjusting the signal being passed from one FX to another. This can have a significant effect (no pun intended) on the tone from something like ToneStack. It can also be much more effective to pull down a send level where it’s actually overloading than just pulling down the output fader.

• @wim said:
    Despite the clutter, I think the faders and meters per FX are very useful for seeing and adjusting the signal being passed from one FX to another. This can have a significant effect (no pun intended) on the tone from something like ToneStack. It can also be much more effective to pull down a send level where it’s actually overloading than just pulling down the output fader.

Good point!! :) Custom mixer could keep best of both sides.

• @slaq said:
    I like the new mixer view, clearly and smooth! But I would really like to see, midi learn for external HW controllers.

This. All day and Sunday too. And just so the horse is completely beaten, PC messages to load presets on the fly live. When these things arrive, AB will be THE solution for musicians who play live. Godspeed!

• Thanks for the great feedback everyone! That's fantastic, and much appreciated. I'm a bit clueless sometimes when it comes to actual workflow, so I need to hear this :D

I'll see what I can do about the issues raised. And I'm working right now on app-wide MIDI controls which will kick arse. Heads-up: I think MIDI control will be a reasonably-priced in-app purchase (few bucks).

• @Michael said:
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone! That's fantastic, and much appreciated. I'm a bit clueless sometimes when it comes to actual workflow, so I need to hear this :D

I'll see what I can do about the issues raised. And I'm working right now on app-wide MIDI controls which will kick arse. Heads-up: I think MIDI control will be a reasonably-priced in-app purchase (few bucks).

Totally fair.

• Thanks @Michael now I don’t need to feel as guilty. ;)

• @Michael said:
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone! That's fantastic, and much appreciated. I'm a bit clueless sometimes when it comes to actual workflow, so I need to hear this :D

Great, thanks!

• Is it possible to see the AU effect and the AU synth keyboard in the IPad at the same time to play and modify the effects in real time?

• I think it looks good
    Been having Syntronik crash in AB when selecting a second synth layer but that’s probably a IK bug I guess.