Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LIGHTNING: Future with no Lightning jack......thinking about it?

2»

Comments

• Zero (or as close as) latency Bluetooth, please!

• I just want USB 3 speeds, don't care if they upgrade lightning or switch to USB-C.

this has been an excruciating 6 years of "lightning" at USB 2 speeds, such a joke, especially since USB 3.0 was released around the same time as lightning, maybe before?

I don't even want to know how long it takes a 256gb iPhone to backup over iTunes, lol.

• iPad Pro is already USB 3.0, and has been for a few years.

• @mistercharlie said:
    iPad Pro is already USB 3.0, and has been for a few years.

Only the 12’9 Pro and 10,5 pro

• edited September 2018

@[Deleted User] said:

@mistercharlie said:

I could be wrong, but I believe the USB 3.0 speeds are only when using a lightning to USB-C cable, (which doesn't even come with the iPad Pros). This means all the lightning to USB cables are still restricted to 2.0 speeds even if you have USB 3.0 on your laptop.

[edit: and I should add that in Apple's ecosystem, a 2014 or 2015 MacBook Pro only has USB 3.0, so iOS is restricted to 2.0 transfer speeds unless you either buy a new Mac, or buy a Thunderbolt dock that has USB-C. Then you can go buy a lightning to USB-C cable and get 3.0 speeds... what a mess.]

My point is, "lightning" has never been cutting edge, except for the hardware design of the plug itself. Its all hype and propaganda, even the name itself...

Anything will be better.

• @Hmtx said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@mistercharlie said:

I could be wrong, but I believe the USB 3.0 speeds are only when using a lightning to USB-C cable, (which doesn't even come with the iPad Pros). This means all the lightning to USB cables are still restricted to 2.0 speeds even if you have USB 3.0 on your laptop.

My point is, "lightning" has never been cutting edge, except for the hardware design of the plug itself. Its all hype and propaganda, even the name itself...

Anything will be better.

I’m with you, my iPad Pro is usb 2 and I need a bloody dongle dongel to make music with it. Give me dongless connectivity at 3.1 usb speeds. 🙂

• edited September 2018

@SevenSystems said:
    Re USB-C: Everyone keeps talking about bandwidth and shlandwidth, but the most important advantage of Lightning for me is the mechanical design. Every single USB standard since 1997 or whenever that thing came out was extremely flimsy or had a broken mechanical design. I wonder if USB-C is finally MECHANICALLY robust now? Does it have good contact after 5 years? Does it not fall out on its own? Well, at least it's reversible now so you don't break your ports (!) anymore by merely trying to plug something in! :) (I ruined several expensive laptops that way. Way to go to make a plug that looks symmetrical from the outside, but ISN'T on the inside, holy USB "engineers" ;) ;) ;))

+1 lightning is the most robust connector I know. There are also rock solid third party wires, I use this one since 8 months now without any issues:

Câble iPhone UNBREAKcable Câble... https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B06X9HB9KB?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Also, iOS updates and hardware changes often leads to issues. I agree with statement that it’s wisdom to not change something that works. And I don’t want to buy a new audio interface, my iRig pro I/O works flawlessly with great sound and comes with lightning cable for mobility and usb cable for laptops and CCK3 (unofficial IKM support but works perfectly with a battery power pack or wall plug).

• edited September 2018

@Janosax people need to become more patient again. Yes, maybe a 128 GB backup takes a few more minutes on USB 2 than on USB 3. Who cares! Grab yourself a coffee or go for a walk, or optimize your schedule :D

Also these ridiculous Internet speeds nowadays, people have 100 Mbit connections at home and governments say that's too slow. What the HELL are people doing with all that bandwidth? I've started my Internet use with a 0.0144 Mbit MODEM!!! 😂

• Dong LE.

Yep, now it makes sense.

• edited September 2018

@SevenSystems said:
    Also these ridiculous Internet speeds nowadays, people have 100 Mbit connections at home and governments say that's too slow. What the HELL are people doing with all that bandwidth? I've started my Internet use with a 0.0144 Mbit MODEM!!! 😂

hah, I felt this way once.
    ***Then I got an iPad. I can check the weather app quicker than I can go open the back door and look up at the sky. I can order a customized pizza from the app faster than I can talk to the teenager manning the PizzaHut phone line. iOS is fast and smooth, I'll never go Android.

***Then I got gigabit internet. and I feel the same way all over again.

Why spend time waiting on things you don't have to? I'll get stuff done, then leave it in my pocket while i go for a long walk in the woods, staring at... green, blue, shapes, sounds: taking in nature in full analog.

I do remember the bleep of the analog modem, its awful. I'm a convert to instant data access because I want to spend less time in digital. :smile:

and the minute I save ordering the pizza gives me an extra minute to smile face-to-face with the guy handing the pizza to me at the counter 15 minutes later. Its a good trade-off.

• edited September 2018

@SevenSystems said:
    @Janosax people need to become more patient again. Yes, maybe a 128 GB backup takes a few more minutes on USB 2 than on USB 3. Who cares! Grab yourself a coffee or go for a walk, or optimize your schedule :D

i have 300Mbps at home. 100Mbps is definitely too slow :(
    (J/K) :P

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Streaming 4K video and in the near future 8K.

• edited September 2018

@SevenSystems said:

Mmhhh....i was used to wait 2 hours for 1 GB download and 20 minutes to upload a crappy mp3 to soundcloud....now i have a new connection and it‘s like a new life :)
    1GB in about 20-30 seconds and i finally could upload wav to soundcloud in a few seconds instead of hours!!! All that while streaming Netflix in 4K.
    Never want to go back.
    Downloading new sample libraries and even full PS4 games is no problem now as well.
    Life just started for me :D
    USB 2 is too slow also for streaming samples for me. USB 3 or better works fine.
    Oh and i finally coukd update 60 apps and download all the Logic content (the new Visions presets for Alchemy are fantastic).

• @mannix said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Problem with this statement is a proper uncompressed 4K movie would be around 350-400GB. And my data limit per month is just 1 TB. After that it drops to 50 Mbps.

• @mannix said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

8k lol. It wouldn't make any sense on an ipad. We already don't see the pixels anymore. We would need to mutate our eyes in order for it to be an actual improvement XD

• @Norbert said:

@mannix said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

8k lol. It wouldn't make any sense on an ipad. We already don't see the pixels anymore. We would need to mutate our eyes in order for it to be an actual improvement XD

Yeah, with this 4k stuff, I also keep wondering if it is absolutely necessary to see the individual molecules and hair follicles on the actors in order to enjoy a movie...

What I WOULD appreciate is a FRAMERATE increase, because anything below 60 fps looks like a slideshow to me. Or does 4k include 60fps? (talk about derailing a thread)

• @SevenSystems said:

@Norbert said:

@mannix said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Yeah, with this 4k stuff, I also keep wondering if it is absolutely necessary to see the individual molecules and hair follicles on the actors in order to enjoy a movie...

What I WOULD appreciate is a FRAMERATE increase, because anything below 60 fps looks like a slideshow to me. Or does 4k include 60fps? (talk about derailing a thread)

4k 60fps is what i was talking about when i said it would consume 350-400 GB a movie.

• @Norbert said:

@mannix said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

What you forget is that the industry has to make money. So render old standards obsolete and press out a new one so people have to buy it. Same with all equipment that comes with it. If you can't buy any ordinary replacement you are obligated to buy the new shit.

NHK will launch an 8K satelite channel in december of this year
    https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/10/18/nhk-to-launch-8k-channel-in-december-2018/

• edited September 2018

@mannix said:

@Norbert said:

@mannix said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

What you forget is that the industry has to make money. So render old standards obsolete and press out a new one so people have to buy it. Same with all equipment that comes with it. If you can't buy any ordinary replacement you are obligated to buy the new shit.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/10/18/nhk-to-launch-8k-channel-in-december-2018/

If they manage to find people stupid enough to buy their shit, good for them. I am still gaming on a 1080p TV and as long as there will be some on the market, I don't intend to move on to 4k. And my graphic card is very happy by the decision cause it can play newest games with a 2 years old card.

• @mannix said:

@Norbert said:

@mannix said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

8k sucks. I want 64k so I can see the quarks in addition to the atoms! Ridiculous!

• if major manufacturers start supporting ios charging in their mainstream usb audio interfaces (eg focusrite scarlett), this is a major win...

• @greengrocer said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Kühl said:

@McDtracy said:

@Norbert said:
    Well, usb-c opens all new kinds of possibilities.

You don't say. Are there some devices to consider that might work with Laptops today?

I was just musing that I should put my PreSonus USB audio interface into play with my iPad to add more mic and guitar tracks to projects. It has a MIDI port so it can replace the Korg PlugKey and get power from the iPad using the Camera Adapter and it's power port.

But what does USB-C offer?

Immense bandwidth & therefore speed. Plus, it’s a universal plug. Not bound to Apple products.
    Communication with a larger amount of peripherals and faster communication with outside disks or memory sticks... I dunno, I’m sure it’s a lot of things. Bandwidth always gives something positive. That’s my view. Yeee!
    However, I always hate changing things that work. New things are always a bother somehow...

Kind of an interesting paradox.

The wisdom to know changing something that is not broken is not logical.

However, if the long term good somehow outweighs it, it is somehow a worth sacrifice of time and aggravation.

Change for the reason of change is just an economic imperative. Money must flow.

Money must flow!
    I think that is the end point of the discussion :smile: