NOISE x Cubasis 2.6

LFSLFS
edited September 2018 in General App Discussion

Hi all,

It is time and time again fascinating what has happened and happens in the iOS world, in a fairly short amount of time since bringing Cubasis to the iPad back at the end of 2012.

Needless to say, we are very happy about the fruitful cooperation with our new friends at ROLI, which started and immediately greatly evolved when discussing MPE support for Cubasis 2.6.

Being musicians ourselves in the Cubasis team, it is always a great pleasure seeing gifted people using products for what they are made for - getting creative and make some great music.

Hope you like ROLI's short clip, as much as we do...

Best,
Lars

«1

Comments

  • Love it. Thanks for sharing and caring and bringing us all along for the ride.

  • Yeah I’m enjoying Noise in Cubasis more than I thought :)

  • @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yeah I’m enjoying Noise in Cubasis more than I thought :)

    Yup. I was thinking about it too much and when I shut up and just played with it was amazing how much better it started sounding/being :)

  • Yummy!
    This cubasis update even makes me crave some Roli Blocks even more :wink:

  • Brilliant use of the sunglasses.

  • @LFS

    Hi Lars,

    The Roli app / keyboard has potential and I like the general aesthetic of the sound design in the demo presets but most of them have way too much default wet fx in them. We should be able to turn off reverb and delay completely. As it is I am just not tempted to get any of these packs and am surprised it would be like this particularly given the price.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yeah I’m enjoying Noise in Cubasis more than I thought :)

    Yup. I was thinking about it too much and when I shut up and just played with it was amazing how much better it started sounding/being :)

    Zappa words of wisdom

  • @Fruitbat1919
    Now you’re talkin! ;) My favorite artist in my favorite pic of him. Nice

    @Fruitbat1919 said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yeah I’m enjoying Noise in Cubasis more than I thought :)

    Yup. I was thinking about it too much and when I shut up and just played with it was amazing how much better it started sounding/being :)

    Zappa words of wisdom

  • Good times !

  • Please tell Roli to allow the swam instruments in Cubasis. I’d buy them all!

  • I don’t get all this hype about Roli. The same thing can be done with a mod wheel and aftertouch without costing an arm and a leg.

  • @Rich303 said:
    I don’t get all this hype about Roli. The same thing can be done with a mod wheel and aftertouch without costing an arm and a leg.

    Well, you'd need at least polyphonic aftertouch and one modwheel (and one pitch bender too) for each key pressed. Good luck :D

  • @rs2000 said:

    @Rich303 said:
    I don’t get all this hype about Roli. The same thing can be done with a mod wheel and aftertouch without costing an arm and a leg.

    Well, you'd need at least polyphonic aftertouch and one modwheel (and one pitch bender too) for each key pressed. Good luck :D

    My JP-8080 and Axiom 49 do all that just fine.

  • edited September 2018

    @rs2000 said:

    @Rich303 said:
    I don’t get all this hype about Roli. The same thing can be done with a mod wheel and aftertouch without costing an arm and a leg.

    Well, you'd need at least polyphonic aftertouch and one modwheel (and one pitch bender too) for each key pressed. Good luck :D

    I sometimes wonder though if many musicians can exploit the potential of so much and multiple "controllability", given that the cognitive load for extracting anything musically meaningful from it must be tremendous? I doubt even 1% of musicians would be capable of making full use of PolyPressure.

  • The more you use it, the more intuitive it becomes. A piano player does not consciously think about how hard to hit each and every note, it just flows from the feeling.

  • @SevenSystems said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @Rich303 said:
    I don’t get all this hype about Roli. The same thing can be done with a mod wheel and aftertouch without costing an arm and a leg.

    Well, you'd need at least polyphonic aftertouch and one modwheel (and one pitch bender too) for each key pressed. Good luck :D

    I sometimes wonder though if many musicians can exploit the potential of so much and multiple "controllability", given that the cognitive load for extracting anything musically meaningful from it must be tremendous? I doubt even 1% of musicians would be capable of making full use of PolyPressure.

    Agreed. It would really be nice if they could split that data so it can be more editable.

  • There are always enemies of the new... called Luddites in a bygone era. I have been spreading the iOS gospel to my old jazz buddies in NY. Haha! The best comment from one talented schizophrenic alto frenemy was, "I don't make music with robots!" Wouldn't that be great!

    My recording label Newartistsrecords.com is mission bound to improvised music, yet I am pretty sure there would be heated and mostly one sided debate as to the suitability of my improvised synthojazz concoctions for inclusion in the catalog. I could pretty much predict their rejection and I am a founding member! No worries, I would never suggest it to them.

    Anyway, not a one of them would trade their saliva saturated reeds for a Roli Seaboard and I can understand it. Traditional jazz instruments are boundless musical opportunities. But it is not either-or. It is both. They will never overcome what is basically their fear of the new to grok that. In twenty-five years most of them will be dead (including me, of course, but I have found iOS joy in my eighth decade) and their uptight ( ponce adventurous) unadventurous opinions will be dust.

    But can you imagine the music of 2043? Certainly the qwerty keyboard and the mouse will only be found in museums. Forget MPE. It will be the latest Musk Thought Contoller we will dream of having. Count on it.

  • edited September 2018

    @PhilW said:
    The more you use it, the more intuitive it becomes. A piano player does not consciously think about how hard to hit each and every note, it just flows from the feeling.

    Exactly. Get used to playing longer sustained pad-type sounds on the Animoog keyboard and it becomes second nature to vary each note’s timber independently and pitch bend between certain notes while continuing to hold others.

    MPE is just an extension of that ‘Animoog keyboard experience’ because it gives you both ‘pressure’ and also virtual ‘slide’ on each key you press. Plus independent pitch bend for each note.

  • edited September 2018

    And some of it is unconscious. With a real physical Roli Block controller, there will be small but perceptible variations in pressure etc for each finger which create a more dynamic, organic feel. It is one reason why the CS80 was such a revered instrument - and now (at last!) we can create that magic for a reasonable price and with a large (and growing) number of wonderful sound sources.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    My recording label Newartistsrecords.com is mission bound to improvised music.

    This makes me think of Bob Dylan plugging in his electric guitar at the Newport Folk Festival. It's an art form in a straight jacket
    of conventions enforced by those that live by those norms as the one true art.

    Your record label is a haven for a very special kind of musician that would not find a home anywhere else. Your current musical output is really different from your recorded discography of 5 albums at newartists. They will throw bottles at you for changing into something "electric" and unnatural. I'm glad they have found their answer but it's not mine. I'm more interested in the questions posed by what people are doing using these affordable tools. Even more so than what state-of-the-art producers can doing using the expensive tools. That just leads to envy of the tools. What's possible with IOS leads to seeking art as a personal form of expression without the approval of a committee rubber stamping the seal of approval on the work.

    @echoopera for example buys Korg ElectriTribe Wave and starts posting daily tracks made at lunch. And they sound great... like the Suzanne Ciani music of the 70's on Buchla Synthesizers using a $20 App.

    That's just one example of inspiration and proof the cost of the tools is no longer the determining factor in the quality of the sounds produced. (I can hear @Dawdles thinking... I don't like KEW's synth). Well, it works for me. He's got more hours driving synths than I do but still... $20 and done?

    I think (like Picasso) you are re-inventing yourself at age 70 just as you probably did 30 years ago when you started taking lessons with Connie and maybe a few times before that with Musical Theater and other roads less taken.

    An artist that stops searching for new modes of expression and re-evaluating their process has become a craftsman (I'd imagine). I'd like to think I could have been an artist but I just didn't have the work ethic required. I preferred steady income too.

  • Re: Zappa
    “When your audience consists of mostly dudes, , then there’s something wrong with your music”—Miles Davis

  • @SevenSystems : Brilliant comment..!!!!

  • @PhilW said:
    And some of it is unconscious. With a real physical Roli Block controller, there will be small but perceptible variations in pressure etc for each finger which create a more dynamic, organic feel. It is one reason why the CS80 was such a revered instrument - and now (at last!) we can create that magic for a reasonable price and with a large (and growing) number of wonderful sound sources.

    Yes, of course some / most of it is unconscious. But then I wonder, can't it just be replaced with random variation, an LFO, or an aux envelope? ;) (sorry, just trying to save people money here! (and myself the work of adding MPE support to Xequence! ;) )))

  • You can maybe get part of the way there like that, particularly if they can be applied on a per voice basis. But I think there is something magical that happens between the brain and the fingers that lets feeling and emotion flow in a way that can’t be fully automated.

  • OK... will throw away my "old conservative fart" hat ;)

  • I think we’re underestimating musicians and music makers here. Even people who are not technically trained in anything use keyboards. MPE actually offers a greater range of expression. You can ring more from one note than you could with a traditional synth. How many musicians understand midi? Doesn’t stop them from using it with great results. That’s all MPE is afterall... midi. You don’t really have to know how it works. You press the keys and move your fingers around. You make cool sounds and then you make cool songs!

  • @LinearLineman said:
    There are always enemies of the new... called Luddites in a bygone era. I have been spreading the iOS gospel to my old jazz buddies in NY. Haha! The best comment from one talented schizophrenic alto frenemy was, "I don't make music with robots!" Wouldn't that be great!

    My recording label Newartistsrecords.com is mission bound to improvised music, yet I am pretty sure there would be heated and mostly one sided debate as to the suitability of my improvised synthojazz concoctions for inclusion in the catalog. I could pretty much predict their rejection and I am a founding member! No worries, I would never suggest it to them.

    Anyway, not a one of them would trade their saliva saturated reeds for a Roli Seaboard and I can understand it. Traditional jazz instruments are boundless musical opportunities. But it is not either-or. It is both. They will never overcome what is basically their fear of the new to grok that. In twenty-five years most of them will be dead (including me, of course, but I have found iOS joy in my eighth decade) and their uptight ( ponce adventurous) unadventurous opinions will be dust.

    But can you imagine the music of 2043? Certainly the qwerty keyboard and the mouse will only be found in museums. Forget MPE. It will be the latest Musk Thought Contoller we will dream of having. Count on it.

    Great post in a cool thread...

  • One thing the guitar always had over the keys was the expression you could add with things like vibrato, quarter-note bends, slurring, sliding etc... MPE brings all of that to the keys, it's a game-changer IMO. :p

  • @SevenSystems said:

    @rs2000 said:

    @Rich303 said:
    I don’t get all this hype about Roli. The same thing can be done with a mod wheel and aftertouch without costing an arm and a leg.

    Well, you'd need at least polyphonic aftertouch and one modwheel (and one pitch bender too) for each key pressed. Good luck :D

    I sometimes wonder though if many musicians can exploit the potential of so much and multiple "controllability", given that the cognitive load for extracting anything musically meaningful from it must be tremendous? I doubt even 1% of musicians would be capable of making full use of PolyPressure.

    Well, polypressure could be assimilated to bending chords on a guitar and it's not that difficult there so I don't see why it should be something tremendously difficult and thus unused on Roli.

  • @richardyot said:
    One thing the guitar always had over the keys was the expression you could add with things like vibrato, quarter-note bends, slurring, sliding etc... MPE brings all of that to the keys, it's a game-changer IMO. :p

    Absolutely .. A ROLI controller coupled with a suitable sound generator would be an awesome thing, unfortunately there are still too many limitations in the iOS sounds available. Now that MPE is adopted as part of the MIDI standard and Apple are selling the ROLI hardware hopefully that will change.
    This Cubasis update bring MPE to Cubasis which is great, now all we need is more MPE controllers and MPE capable sound sources.

Sign In or Register to comment.