Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Testing AU memory Limits in iOS 12

I saw mention that the AU memory limit for higher end devices was increased in iOS 12. Just got done with a quick test and it looks true. I was only able to load one instance of Neo Soul Keys before and now I can load three. With Kaspar I could load four before but now it can handle six instances before crashing.

I’m on a 10.5” and would like to hear about others experiences.

Comments

• I am on a 2017 ipad and before could only get three instances of Synthmaster One at time in BM3 but now I can get five. Whoot! Didn't think it would help on this device but it certainly seems to be the case for me.

• No difference on my iPad Pro 9’7 2017

• 4 instances of Model D at 256 samples on 9.7" pro. I couldn't do that before.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    No difference on my iPad Pro 9’7 2017

Is that 2016 with 2GB ram? I wonder if the increase only happened on 4GB models.

• @rezidue said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Is that 2016 with 2GB ram? I wonder if the increase only happened on 4GB models.

The 2017 ipad is 2 gigs which is why I was (and still am) surprised at being able to get two more instances.

• @AudioGus said:

@rezidue said:

@[Deleted User] said:

The 2017 ipad is 2 gigs which is why I was (and still am) surprised at being able to get two more instances.

Odd, you would think a 2GB pro would notice the benefits as well if you do.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mAxjUlien said:
    12th instance of SM1 crashed my iPad Pro 10.5. Doubt I’ll ever need anything close to 11.

Note: Just realized I had App Store updates DLing, KEW and Gb running in the background also

I just tested and crashed on the 27th instance...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mAxjUlien said:

@rezidue said:

@mAxjUlien said:
    12th instance of SM1 crashed my iPad Pro 10.5. Doubt I’ll ever need anything close to 11.

Note: Just realized I had App Store updates DLing, KEW and Gb running in the background also

Lol. I restarted and got 29 but it was hella sluggish at 28...

Looks like I’m going to have to find another reason for not making music besides ‘I can’t load enough instances...’

• The 10.5 just became interesting to me.

• @rezidue said:

@mAxjUlien said:

@rezidue said:

@mAxjUlien said:

Lol. I restarted and got 29 but it was hella sluggish at 28...

Looks like I’m going to have to find another reason for not making music besides ‘I can’t load enough instances...’

+1 :smiley:

Remember, adding tracks and assigning AUs to them is one thing. Closing the project and reopening it without any skips/failures/hiccups is another thing. If it can reopen the project intact without losing any settings/tweaks/sounds, you are golden.

• @AudioGus said:

@rezidue said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Indeed mine is the 2 gig model and I have been testing an au app which will crash after two instances. This is still the case after ios 12 so no improvement for ipad pro 9'7 2gig

• Awesome, finally we can load more than 32 instances of Ripplemaker!

• @mAxjUlien said:

What DAW you used to load the 12 SM1 AUs?

• I'm guessing you'll still get it on the neck if your cpu/ram can hold the load.

So yes, probably great news for those liking to use many instances of the same app.

Unless I'm missing something?

• @brambos said:
    Awesome, finally we can load more than 32 instances of Ripplemaker!

what device is this on if you dont mind me asking ?

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@brambos said:
    Awesome, finally we can load more than 32 instances of Ripplemaker!

what device is this on if you dont mind me asking ?

IIRC I got to 32 on the Air 2, but it could have been the Pro.

But my plugins - especially the synths rarely use more than a handful of MB memory per instance.

• I’ve never had more than one stable instance of BeatHawk running in BM3 without crackles. While BH still loses its sound save on startup in BM3 still, I can now run many instances playing with absolutely no crackles.

• @mAxjUlien said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’ve never had more than one stable instance of BeatHawk running in BM3 without crackles. While BH still loses its sound save on startup in BM3 still, I can now run many instances playing with absolutely no crackles.

How/why are you using BH in BM3 if u don’t mind my asking? I have BH and am always looking for ways to expand Bm3. Is it just to use a particular sound or is there something juicy hidden within BH I’m missing?

How: as an AU.

Why: I really like some of the sounds in BeatHawk. Also I really like the simplicity of starting a track going in BeatHawk - something about it’s structure makes starting something seem so easy and hassle free. Once I’ve got something basic down, it’s then easy to send the midi to other DAWS (Hate that BM3 does not export midi stems - unless I’ve missed it). I prefer working with midi instead of the audio files at this stage.

I do have most of the sample packs for BM3 and obviously I could sample them (but I’m too lazy mostly lol).

Also was just seeing if it would work now as I’m not using BM3 as much these days. I love BM3, but I really want these first:

1. Rozeta to work again.
    2. Midi file export.
    3. Freeze function.
    4. More options for the inbuilt keyboard.
  • Anyone updated an Air 2 yet? Interested to hear if there’s any speed improvements or problems.

• @mAxjUlien said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@mAxjUlien said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I’ve never had more than one stable instance of BeatHawk running in BM3 without crackles. While BH still loses its sound save on startup in BM3 still, I can now run many instances playing with absolutely no crackles.

How/why are you using BH in BM3 if u don’t mind my asking? I have BH and am always looking for ways to expand Bm3. Is it just to use a particular sound or is there something juicy hidden within BH I’m missing?

How: as an AU.

Why: I really like some of the sounds in BeatHawk. Also I really like the simplicity of starting a track going in BeatHawk - something about it’s structure makes starting something seem so easy and hassle free. Once I’ve got something basic down, it’s then easy to send the midi to other DAWS (Hate that BM3 does not export midi stems - unless I’ve missed it). I prefer working with midi instead of the audio files at this stage.

I do have most of the sample packs for BM3 and obviously I could sample them (but I’m too lazy mostly lol).

Also was just seeing if it would work now as I’m not using BM3 as much these days. I love BM3, but I really want these first:

1. Rozeta to work again.
    2. Midi file export.
    3. Freeze function.
    4. More options for the inbuilt keyboard.

Thanks...always looking for new workflow gains or wrinkles. ;)

Me too. I find the experimenting on what approach to take as fun as the playing the instruments - one reason I don’t care if I never “finish” a tune :p

• @MonzoPro said:
    Anyone updated an Air 2 yet? Interested to hear if there’s any speed improvements or problems.

I did update mine, but as it's my secondary device haven't used it enough yet to notice any issues. Feels much the same but can't really tell yet. No regrets yet about updating all my devices.

I like the new tape measure too :smiley:

• @Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Anyone updated an Air 2 yet? Interested to hear if there’s any speed improvements or problems.

I did update mine, but as it's my secondary device haven't used it enough yet to notice any issues. Feels much the same but can't really tell yet. No regrets yet about updating all my devices.

Give a man an inch...

• @Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

Cheers!