Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB3+Quantum Sequencer+Patterning going TOTALLY out of sync (Ableton Link)

edited September 2018 in Support and Feedback

So... I LOVE Quantum. But this problem beats me.

I'm syncing with ableton link. I start everything from AB3. Sounds fine. After about 1 minute the sync is a mess.

I've tried:

• different wi fi
  • using AUM only instead of AB3
  • switching tempos (gets weird even faster)
  • not switching. takes about 1 minute to get out of sync.

My impression is that Quantum is speeding. It even speeds ahead of the internal Quantum Metronome. Patterning seems to stay in sync to the ableton link click.

WHAT CAN I DO? I really want this to work...

Comments

• This is a 2017 iPad pro, fyi.

• Can you share the AB preset?

• The preset loaded in the end but doesn’t seem to do anything other than 2 beats in patterning

• @thinzappa said:

I'm syncing with ableton link. I start everything from AB3. Sounds fine. After about 1 minute the sync is a mess.

I've tried:

• different wi fi

My impression is that Quantum is speeding. It even speeds ahead of the internal Quantum Metronome. Patterning seems to stay in sync to the ableton link click.

This is a recognized bug in the current version of Quantum; it is, indeed speeding. A beta version is in testing, but is still being tweaked.

• @aplourde said:

@thinzappa said:

I've tried:

• different wi fi

This is a recognized bug in the current version of Quantum; it is, indeed speeding. A beta version is in testing, but is still being tweaked.

thanks for the information!

• edited September 2018

So, is there a way to make timing work (via MIDI only maybe?) or should I just give up on this idea for the time being?

• Ah, then i don´t need to test this - but the preset can now be loaded!

• @thinzappa said:
    So, is there a way to make timing work (via MIDI only maybe?) or should I just give up on this idea for the time being?

I should have a patch submitted by the weekend just need to do some profiling.

• That sounds> @midiSequencer said:

@thinzappa said:

I should have a patch submitted by the weekend just need to do some profiling.

That would be lovely!!

• @aplourde said:

@thinzappa said:

I've tried:

• different wi fi

How do you go about playing in sync with apps NOT being sequenced by Quantum? Or is that the known bug?

I’ve tried slaving Quantum and Patterning inside Cubasis but it doesn’t really work for me there either.

• This is a "workaround" I'm quite happy with. I can at least make weird rhythms go on seemingly forever and be in sync.

Sorry bout the glitches when I'm switching between apps.

• not sure I understand your question. Quantum includes different sync modes (eg sequences or parts can be sync’d). Sync between two or more apps can be achieved (with varying degrees of success) using midi clock, mtc or ableton link.

• The question is: how can I make Quantum sync with other apps (like Patterning) without having them drift apart from each other?

@aplourde mentioned that it's a recognized bug that Quantum is speeding so this leaves me a bit dumbfounded: How can I use quantum with any other app (in this case, Patterning) in a proper way?

To me neither MIDI click nor AB-Link works at all. Quantum and Patterning drift apart completely after less then a minute, the way it does in the first video i posted.

I haven't tried MTC and I'm not sure how to set it up properly with Patterning.

• today I have some time to measure this more accurately over a longer period as I have corrected it but want to be sure its fixed for sure.

• @thinzappa said:
    The question is: how can I make Quantum sync with other apps (like Patterning) without having them drift apart from each other?

You wait for @midiSequencer to fix it :)

@aplourde mentioned that it's a recognized bug that Quantum is speeding so this leaves me a bit dumbfounded: How can I use quantum with any other app (in this case, Patterning) in a proper way?

To me neither MIDI click nor AB-Link works at all. Quantum and Patterning drift apart completely after less then a minute, the way it does in the first video i posted.

Prior to version 1.7(?) Quantum had a clock that ran in sync. However, there's in issue with iOS where switching apps would cause a momentary glitching in the timing. 1.7 was an attempt to resolve that (and it seems to), however it introduced the too-quick timing bug. Hopefully all will be well in the not-too-distant future.

• @aplourde said:

@thinzappa said:
    The question is: how can I make Quantum sync with other apps (like Patterning) without having them drift apart from each other?

Prior to version 1.7(?) Quantum had a clock that ran in sync. However, there's in issue with iOS where switching apps would cause a momentary glitching in the timing. 1.7 was an attempt to resolve that (and it seems to), however it introduced the too-quick timing bug. Hopefully all will be well in the not-too-distant future.

good information, thanks.

• edited September 2018

It's important to know that while MIDI Clock offers a perfect clock synchronization signal that keeps the synced peers in-phase all the time (if they're not buggy, that is :) ), Ableton Link relies on very precise host timers and it's up to the peers to compensate for any drift between the global host time and the peers' local host times. If that's not done correctly, you get drifts.

• Just uploading the timing fix to my beta testers.
    Over 40mins there was no perceptible drift with Patterning2/Quantum playing Zeeon in AUM kicked off by Patterning 2 play button & using Link (with start/stop). In Patterning 2 you can see the notes flash :)

I actually measured a difference as .6 seconds (0.02%) from a theoretical value (counting expected ppqn & audio samples) and some of that was probably due to startup/stop code.

• @midiSequencer said:
    Just uploading the timing fix to my beta testers.
    Over 40mins there was no perceptible drift with Patterning2/Quantum playing Zeeon in AUM kicked off by Patterning 2 play button & using Link (with start/stop). In Patterning 2 you can see the notes flash :)

I actually measured a difference as .6 seconds (0.02%) from a theoretical value (counting expected ppqn & audio samples) and some of that was probably due to startup/stop code.

This sounds great!!

• @aplourde said:

@thinzappa said:

That explains my concerns perfectly. I did record some tracks prior to 1.7 that synced perfectly and then it didn't so I just assumed I was doing something wrong. Thanks for clarifying!

• Update sent to Apple
    . improved timing accuracy over longer periods
    . Added Ableton Link sync per beat
    . fixed crash on ios10 for Options Master/Slave button toggle if Link Off
    . Mixer Labels for S1a etc were not showing properly on 2nd page
    . Link button for faders was crashing on values over 2 (0=not linked, 1=scaled linked, 2=chromatic link)
    . Options - Master/Slave/KeyIn now saved/restored between sessions
    . Inc/dec buttons were not correctly setting chromatic step indicator (yellow labels) if Link (chromatic) set
    . updated to latest Audiobus sdk 3.0.5
    . update to latest Ableton link
    . Made Page button bigger so easier to select on phones

• @midiSequencer said:
    Update sent to Apple
    . improved timing accuracy over longer periods
    . Added Ableton Link sync per beat
    . fixed crash on ios10 for Options Master/Slave button toggle if Link Off
    . Mixer Labels for S1a etc were not showing properly on 2nd page
    . Link button for faders was crashing on values over 2 (0=not linked, 1=scaled linked, 2=chromatic link)
    . Options - Master/Slave/KeyIn now saved/restored between sessions
    . Inc/dec buttons were not correctly setting chromatic step indicator (yellow labels) if Link (chromatic) set
    . updated to latest Audiobus sdk 3.0.5
    . update to latest Ableton link
    . Made Page button bigger so easier to select on phones

I’ll take some of that! Thank you very much 👍