Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS 12 Garageband Update!!!

12346»

Comments

• @Telstar5 @icsleepers Thank you both. The swipe was what I was missing. I created a whole other problem by deleting the fx channel in the list of devices on the left though. Suddenly I could hear the effects being applied but had no way to alter them! All good now and I think GarageBand, as others have said in this forum, has matured massively. It really is great on the iPhone. Maybe I could stave off my pocket operator purchases for a bit longer. Plenty of fun to have here! Alchemy is incredible and I love the percentage chance thing in the beat sequencer.

• Hmm.

I'm having trouble restoring purchases in GarageBand on my iPhone 8. It's the 'Product Red' loop pack.

Pressing restore flashes these two additional doalogues.

Had the same issues on the iPad Air 2 a while but but when GarageBand got an update I was able to restore them again.

• @Samu I have the same thing, but as GarageBand don’t have any iap I suppose that restore purchase item is there just in case? All loop packs have to be downloaded again after a fresh install in my experience.

• @Janosax said:
    @Samu I have the same thing, but as GarageBand don’t have any iap I suppose that restore purchase item is there just in case? All loop packs have to be downloaded again after a fresh install in my experience.

I’ve downloaded all the ’other’ sounds and before it was possible to restore the Product Red loops that I purchased long, long time ago :) (Strangely enough the Product Red loops are iOS exclusive so they are not available in either GarageBand or LPX on the Mac).

Oh well, guess the next update to GarageBand will fix this...

• @PhilW said:
    Just an additional thought - I know GB gets some flack for not having all the “professional” features - but I would have sold my granny to have something like it when I was making music 30 or 40 years ago (sorry Gran, RIP).

😂😂😂 ya man, just a few years ago I woulda sold any family member to have something like gb

I don't really use it much, but when I do im impressed

• There are just a few 'things' I miss in GarageBand.

Editing the recorded touch-instrument automation (pitch-bend, mod-wheel, knobs etc).
    AUv3 automation & editing would be a bonus...

A simple 'normalise' and 'destructive trim'(ie. permanently delete un-used data) in the GB Sampler.

Only way to partially do this is to 'trim' the audio on the audio track do a 'merge track'(It will trim and normalise the audio file) and then drag the merged piece of audio to the sampler track.

Now 'merge' might sound like an ideal solution but considering GarageBand duplicates the session each time using 'merge' it creates a lot of redundant sessions. A 'merge in place' would be ideal here, ie skip creating copies of the sessions :)

• edited January 2019

@Samu
    What I do to manage more easily my duplicated merged song files, is to create a « temp » folder. If I want to do several « merge », I close the song and drag it in that folder then reopen it. At the end of the process I delete all duplicated files except first and last ones, or if I want to keep all of them I create a song folder and move all of them inside it. Don’t forget to delete permanently all trashed duplicated files from time to time to manage storage (I’ve just deleted 137 trashed merged files lol). Everything can be done from GB. When you get used to that it’s not such a problem :)

• @Janosax said:
    Everything can be done from GB. When you get used to that it’s not such a problem :)

Yeah, I actually enjoy using GarageBand on my iPhone 8!

I'm slowly starting to get used to using the 'sections' and chop up everything in 4 bar chunks just like 64 row 'tracker patterns' :)

The only 'problem' with merge I've got is that the resulting audio is more or less equal to the size of the entire track.
    So when creating samples I try to keep the entire sample-creation project around 1-2 bars...

The more I think about it...
    ...if 'dragging an event (audio or midi) to the sampler track' would automagically 'merge & trim' the audio that gets dropped to it?

This would be a productivity boost for sure :)

• edited January 2019

O> @Samu said:

I'm slowly starting to get used to using the 'sections' and chop up everything in 4 bar chunks just like 64 row 'tracker patterns' :)

Yes those sections work quite well, that is similar in fact to Gadget scenes but horizontal. I often produce that way and copy paste everything when done in loop mode to improvise an arrangement.

The only 'problem' with merge I've got is that the resulting audio is more or less equal to the size of the entire track.
    So when creating samples I try to keep the entire sample-creation project around 1-2 bars...

If you trim or chop with scissors an audio part in arrangement view and drag it inside sampler it will have the desired trimmed lenght too. For midi or processed audio, and if you want to keep original track, you can duplicate it by copying the region and paste it in a blank space. That way both region and track/instrument/effects will be duplicated. Then merge it, trim or chop it with scissors and drag the region you want in sampler. At the end, you can delete merged track. You will keep original track too that way.

• @Janosax said:

If you chop with scissors an audio part in arrangement view and drag it inside sampler it will have the lenght cut too.

Yes, but GB wil save the entire audio-file as part of the sampler instrument not just the selected portion :)
    This is why a 'destructive trim' is needed once the audio copied in to the sampler...

• edited January 2019

@Samu said:

@Janosax said:

If you chop with scissors an audio part in arrangement view and drag it inside sampler it will have the lenght cut too.

Yes, but GB wil save the entire audio-file as part of the sampler instrument not just the selected portion :)
    This is why a 'destructive trim' is needed once the audio copied in to the sampler...

Ok, so if you want to manage files destructively from a long song, it’s still possible but need more taps. Copy the region you need, close song and create a new one, you can use simple audio track. Then paste in blank space your region, new track will be added. Set section lenght, merge your track, copy the merged region, open original song, paste region and drag in sampler. Could be faster with improved features, but that way you not force yourself to only work on two bars loops at the beginning of the song creation, and can do some sampler instruments at any stage and still manage files like you wish :)

• edited January 2019

@Janosax said:

@Samu said:

@Janosax said:

Ok, so if you want to manage files destructively from a long song, it’s still possible but need more taps. Copy the region you need, close song and create a new one, you can use simple audio track. Then paste in blank space your region, new track will be added. Set section lenght, merge your track, copy the merged region, open original song, paste region and drag in sampler. Could be faster with improved features, but that way you not force yourself to work on two bars loops at the beginning of the song creation, and can do some sampler instruments at any stage and still manage files like you wish :)

I'll have to see a a copy & paste round-trip via AudioShare will fix this or something...
    But even when recording audio straight into the sampler it would be handy with a destructive trim ;)
    (And other 'basic' sample-editing features like normalise).

• @Samu said:

@Janosax said:

@Samu said:

@Janosax said:

Ok, so if you want to manage files destructively from a long song, it’s still possible but need more taps. Copy the region you need, close song and create a new one, you can use simple audio track. Then paste in blank space your region, new track will be added. Set section lenght, merge your track, copy the merged region, open original song, paste region and drag in sampler. Could be faster with improved features, but that way you not force yourself to work on two bars loops at the beginning of the song creation, and can do some sampler instruments at any stage and still manage files like you wish :)

I'll have to see a a copy & paste round-trip via AudioShare will fix this or something...
    But even when recording audio straight into the sampler it would be handy with a destructive trim ;)
    (And other 'basic' sample-editing features like normalise).

Yes export your soloed track to AudioShare, normalize and trim it inside it then copy to pasteboard and paste to GB.

Of course those basic features and others miss but I think we shouldn’t have too much hope about their implementation :D BTW, merge feature adds some normalisation in the process.

• @Janosax said:

Of course those basic features and others miss but I think we shouldn’t have too much hope about their implementation :D BTW, merge feature adds some normalisation in the process.

Yepp, and it also 'bakes in' all the effects used on the track which is really nice!

Considering how GarageBand 'wastes storage-space' with its duplicate project copies when merging tracks, lack of destructive trim etc. etc. I could go into 'conspiracy mode' but nah...

I had hopes that 'Copy' in GarageBand it would put a trimmed piece of Audio in the Generic Paste board but nah.
    The paste board stays empty so no way to paste it into AudioShare :)

Both NAMM and CES are just around the corner so we might get an update to GarageBand too hehe...

• @Samu said:

@Janosax said:

Yepp, and it also 'bakes in' all the effects used on the track which is really nice!

Considering how GarageBand 'wastes storage-space' with its duplicate project copies when merging tracks, lack of destructive trim etc. etc. I could go into 'conspiracy mode' but nah...

I had hopes that 'Copy' in GarageBand it would put a trimmed piece of Audio in the Generic Paste board but nah.
    The paste board stays empty so no way to paste it into AudioShare :)

Both NAMM and CES are just around the corner so we might get an update to GarageBand too hehe...

iCloud storage upgrade conspiracy!!!

Yes usually there is an update in December if I remember well let’s hope it’s coming!! :)

• @Janosax said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Got to say after a productive Garageband session tonight that it's currently top of the stack for me as far as a writing tool on iOS. Now I'm just riffing alchemy arpeggios over the grooves we produced and basking in their glorious vitality. I'll be returning, but do need to learn how to get these stems out though!!

About stems: just merge in arrangement view each track individually, this will create new rendered audio tracks, it’s faster than export track by track using solo. Then go into Files app and copy your GB project from GB folder to AudioShare. Go to AudioShare, open GB project, you will find there all project files including all freshly merged audio files aka stems :)

Gosh after all these years I never knew this.. super duper trick !!
    Thanks

• @Janosax said:
    Also, GB has loop mode audio clip fixed length feature, it’s a must have!! Even Ableton is not able to do that and it has been asked for age!!

Sorry, could you explain what you are referring to here? Thanks.

• @SealTeamSick said:

@Janosax said:
    Also, GB has loop mode audio clip fixed length feature, it’s a must have!! Even Ableton is not able to do that and it has been asked for age!!

Sorry, could you explain what you are referring to here? Thanks.

It’s kind of auto punch in/out. In Ableton Live, audio clips in session view need to tap two times to start and stop recording, as you can’t set a specific lenght like with midi clips. In GarageBand, loop mode view allows to record both audio and midi with automatic stop, and you can set a specific lenght too so your hands are free regarding stop recording. Here’s is the way to use it:

Double tap an empty slot in the loop grid:

Set the loop lenght with a tap on the little number icon on the right:

After record, you can then swipe down from here to open the editor view:

You can here edit region, copy paste it, change audio gains or midi settings per region, etc... just like a mini arrangement view. Top feature for a loop grid!!!!: