Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Grooverider or Quantum or Korg Electribe Wave - help me choose

Okay, so I've been doing some reading and research. I have read some threads, and to be honest, I'm sort of leaning towards GR-16, but I just don't have the time to read a 100 + page thread. I love Korg and Korg apps so that's got that going for it. And I'm way enamored with the app in development from the creator of Quantum. No, I don't want to get them all. hehe

I'm into alot of styles but def lean towards less in your face dance music. I dig more jazzy-type harmonies but I'm a rubbish keyboard player. Hence, this whole way of working has a bit of an appeal to me.

I'm probably more into "sounds" and synthesis than pure samplers but this may be because I've never really worked with them. I'm looking for a playground where I can dig in, not worry about too many choices, get some stuff going, then be able to 1) either complete in that app or 2) conveniently export outside to clean up and/or expand.

This would not be my sole way of working but would be a supplement to when I want to go this way. However, I'm open to where this sort of choice would take me. I'd love to hear your thoughts and please ask if I haven't provided enough info to go on here. I may or may not even get any of them after your comments. I'm trying to be completely open-minded on this decision.

Oh and I use a iPad pro 12.9 2017. Your comment and opinions are always valued!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mAxjUlien said:
    Yeah because you’re not going to end up getting them all.lol.

Put their names in a hat, pick one and leave the others in the hat as u know you’ll be adding more names. Pick a winning lottery app slip every time u get the itch. Simplicity. B)

No I'm not!

Honestly though, are they all that good? Or are you just being kitsch. :smile:

• edited September 2018

Not to push you towards my workflow but i own both Grooverider 16 and Electribe Wave and have produced more work with Electribe Wave. Here are my examples of that work:

link to playlist:
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYTt8s7J_3t7QG47hbpaKs6PKwAxmZCo9

Now that I’m using it with StepPolyArp i am in bliss.

I think one of the benefits of GR-16 is that is offers MidiOut so you can use it to sequence other synths and gear which is really cool. And the dev is just amazing.

It’s a good time to have these problems just hard on decision making.

But if i has to choose I’d go with electribe Wave. It just fits my workflow and style though.

As far as Quantum...i love the features and potential the app offers, i just can’t gel with the UI...a bias from being a UI Designer my self so I’m particularly sensitive to UI and workflows.

• I don’t have Wave but Quantum and GR-16 are two of my favourite apps on iOS. Quantum is such a deep sequencer with so ways to ‘humanise’ and tweak the sequences. GR-16 is completely different but equally impressive due to its triggers and modulations plus synth engine, plus sample import. Two standout iOS apps that could easily be hardware all on their own.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’ve got GR and KEW. Out of the two I prefer the Korg. It’s got less options and features, but a better workflow.

• @echoopera : Lovely track! May I ask how you created the accompanying video?

• isn’t there a grooverider updating coming out very soon? I love grooverider! i’d highly recommend it

• @eross said:

when are these coming out? looks cool

Who knows?? I’m hoping once the next iOS update happens. Both apps have been a long time coming but the devs both make great stuff. As far as Grooverider vs Wave, I think a big difference is you can import samples into GR. Otherwise they both sound great and are somewhat similar.

• edited September 2018

I also agree with @anickt about Drambo and NS2.

I can highly recommend Quantum, it is a deep and fully featured sequencer. I have KEW but for me the mono mode has some weird popping sounds which i don't like at the moment, apart from that it has potential.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

Well, if Drambo were released today, i'd not be holding out on that. That's a given to me.

I hear rumors that GR-16 is evolving away from 1 page design. Is this true?

NanoStudio is a completely different animal to these beasts, if Im reading it right. Linear DAW. AU support. Cubasis alternative for me. This will be my main ios tool, if all goes well.

I'm actually looking to this beatbox thing to sort of rock-my-way of doing things. This decision came after dealing with latency issues in Korg Gadget and thinking ... hwhaaaaa!? I've got the best ipad available at the moment and this should not be happening. (probably should open another thread). Gadget is supposed to be my get-crap-done-machine.

@mAxjUlien you seem to know me ... hehehe

• edited September 2018

Also ... what is next for the three apps I mentioned? Well the Korg just came out some what's next is bug fixes I guess.

But the other two, it'd be great hear where the devs are taking these apps. You are welcome here as well.

• It gets real my friend. Truth is...I use maybe 5 apps consistently and I didn’t need to upgrade my iPad.

@mAxjUlien ya know, you may not have meant to be my conscience, but it worked. Decided against this, at least for now. The aforementioned Drambo will likely fill the bill here. Not to mention, the other 5 apps I need to use. Yeah, the FIVE APPS.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

@Telstar5 said:
    @echoopera : Lovely track! May I ask how you created the accompanying video?

Thanks for giving it a viewing. For this one i used STAELLA on iPad for the visuals. And for others in the playlist i used a mix of Tunr and LumaFusion.

Link to video playlist:
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYTt8s7J_3t7QG47hbpaKs6PKwAxmZCo9

• Go for the Electribe Wave!

• @kinkujin said:
    I love Korg and Korg apps so that's got that going for it. And I'm way enamored with the app in development from the creator of Quantum. No, I don't want to get them all. hehe

Gadget is a synth powerhouse already, even if you're only using the factory synths.
    By layering 2 tracks (which is easy with the quick copy/paste facilities for clips) you have an even wider choice of sounds.

I'm into alot of styles but def lean towards less in your face dance music. I dig more jazzy-type harmonies but I'm a rubbish keyboard player. Hence, this whole way of working has a bit of an appeal to me.

How do you usually play your chords? Builtin keyboard or external MIDI keyboard?

I'm probably more into "sounds" and synthesis than pure samplers but this may be because I've never really worked with them. I'm looking for a playground where I can dig in, not worry about too many choices, get some stuff going, then be able to 1) either complete in that app or 2) conveniently export outside to clean up and/or expand.

GR-16 has one great advantage: You can import new samples for drums and/or synthesis.
    Its one-page synthesis engine is really fast, and the menu has a wide choice of both factory PCM and typical synth waveforms, combined with a good choice of filters (per track!) and a simple but effective modulation section.
    The waveforms will very soon (just waiting for AppStore review) be expanded with a brand-new wavetable engine (a little bit like the one in Electribe Wave) that can be modulated too and give you these evolving or aggressive wavetable sounds that so many like in E.Wave.

This would not be my sole way of working but would be a supplement to when I want to go this way. However, I'm open to where this sort of choice would take me. I'd love to hear your thoughts and please ask if I haven't provided enough info to go on here. I may or may not even get any of them after your comments. I'm trying to be completely open-minded on this decision.

Recommending anything is especially difficult when you're out for the "best DAW" or composition tool, it's such a personal thing...

• @rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:
    I love Korg and Korg apps so that's got that going for it. And I'm way enamored with the app in development from the creator of Quantum. No, I don't want to get them all. hehe

Gadget is a synth powerhouse already, even if you're only using the factory synths.
    By layering 2 tracks (which is easy with the quick copy/paste facilities for clips) you have an even wider choice of sounds.

How do you usually play your chords? Builtin keyboard or external MIDI keyboard?

GR-16 has one great advantage: You can import new samples for drums and/or synthesis.
    Its one-page synthesis engine is really fast, and the menu has a wide choice of both factory PCM and typical synth waveforms, combined with a good choice of filters (per track!) and a simple but effective modulation section.
    The waveforms will very soon (just waiting for AppStore review) be expanded with a brand-new wavetable engine (a little bit like the one in Electribe Wave) that can be modulated too and give you these evolving or aggressive wavetable sounds that so many like in E.Wave.

Recommending anything is especially difficult when you're out for the "best DAW" or composition tool, it's such a personal thing...

Very helpful stuff here, thanks.

I go back and forth to inputting notes via midi keyboard, onscreen and piano roll (if I must).

So ... what else is planned for GR-16? More expansions? New app?

This would be a crap shoot for sure - no idea if I'd like to work this way or not. Probably should just stay on the sidelines and appreciate what others are doing with beatboxes and keep on with Gadget, etc.

• @kinkujin said:

@rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

I go back and forth to inputting notes via midi keyboard, onscreen and piano roll (if I must).

This would be a crap shoot for sure - no idea if I'd like to work this way or not. Probably should just stay on the sidelines and appreciate what others are doing with beatboxes and keep on with Gadget, etc.

I’m not really a beatbox kinda guy, but I found the Korg workflow pretty easy to slip into, whereas GR, and the old Korg iElectribe have me scratching my head.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I’m not really a beatbox kinda guy, but I found the Korg workflow pretty easy to slip into, whereas GR, and the old Korg iElectribe have me scratching my head.

Interesting. As @echoopera says above "I think one of the benefits of GR-16 is that is offers MidiOut so you can use it to sequence other synths and gear which is really cool. And the dev is just amazing." ... this is in GR-16s favor to me. If I was going to jump.

• @MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

@rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

So interesting. I was about to start a thread about how I am baffled by ElectribeWave, which drove me back into GR16, which I am newly blow away by. GrooveRider is about as close as we come to an Elektron Digitakt on iOS. KEW, I'm eager to believe in, but I can't get beyond the preset patterns and songs, and I'm lost in a maze of preset songs.
    @MonzoPro I would love to here the step-by-step of how you get going. It must be easier than finding a preset, and deleting, one by one, preset patterns....

• @kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

Interesting. As @echoopera says above "I think one of the benefits of GR-16 is that is offers MidiOut so you can use it to sequence other synths and gear which is really cool. And the dev is just amazing." ... this is in GR-16s favor to me. If I was going to jump.

Oh yeah it’s got loads of features. But like BM3, if I don’t use it for a few weeks, the next time I open it I’m completely lost. Could just be my advanced age, losing me marbles etc. but I find the UI too complicated.

Others love it, like BM3, but they tend to be regular users, rather than occasional dabblers like me.

If you think you’re going to spend a lot of time with other though, then GR is probably the best bet.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

@rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

So interesting. I was about to start a thread about how I am baffled by ElectribeWave, which drove me back into GR16, which I am newly blow away by. GrooveRider is about as close as we come to an Elektron Digitakt on iOS. KEW, I'm eager to believe in, but I can't get beyond the preset patterns and songs, and I'm lost in a maze of preset songs.
    @MonzoPro I would love to here the step-by-step of how you get going. It must be easier than finding a preset, and deleting, one by one, preset patterns....

I’ve never used an Elektron, so I guess GR is a bit of a new thing for me.

I’m a pretty basic KEW user, but I load up an init pattern, put 4 synth notes on the first step, assign that step to play as many steps as you like (e.g. 16 steps for the pattern), select arp and poly mode, and I’m off. That gives me something to work with, so I then tap out some beats, put a second synth melody in, and record a live bassline with synth 3.

Save the pattern, copy it, change it a bit and repeat a few more. I then trigger the patterns live, recorded into AUM.

I use the pattern editing section quite a bit - useful for copying blocks.

That’s my basic starting mode, and I build up from there.

• GR and elektron units share a few similarities like step-based entry and an awkward way of editing polyphonic tracks, but that's part of the groovebox heritage.
    Live sampling and sample editing, multi-step parameter locks, MIDI control facilities and the feeling you get when operating the hardware unit make even the smallest of the elektron family, the Digitakt, something special.
    GR-16 has other advantages over the Digitakt, that's why I like to use both.
    Things might change when GR-16 gets a third page for editing notes full-screen but nothing is announced yet. For doing polyphonic work, Gadget is much more edit-friendly but one combination I do like a lot is an elektron Digitakt as clock master and both Gadget and GR-16 as clock slaves. Both sync to MIDi clock very well and while Gadget does the "bread and butter stuff", GR-16 does the screaming monophonic synth lines and synth percussion, including live tweaking and "parameter locking" i.e. automating synth knobs per-step. GR-16 adds the synth that's missing in the Digitakt.
    Hey, you can even choose between using Gr-16's sequencer synced to DT or sequencing the synth parts by using different MIDI tracks on the DT, wherever you prefer to sequence the instruments. DT can send MIDI over USB and MIDI ports (e.g. with bluetooth dongles attached) so it's easy to connect two iPads/iPhones.

• edited September 2018

@MonzoPro said:

I’m a pretty basic KEW user, but I load up an init pattern, put 4 synth notes on the first step, assign that step to play as many steps as you like (e.g. 16 steps for the pattern), select arp and poly mode, and I’m off. That gives me something to work with, so I then tap out some beats, put a second synth melody in, and record a live bassline with synth 3.

Save the pattern, copy it, change it a bit and repeat a few more. I then trigger the patterns live, recorded into AUM.

Dude... you enlightened me...
    KEW was gathering dust here already :lol:

Thanks so much :smile:

• edited September 2018

My choice has been made. I had decided not to purchase any as of yesterday. By end of the night I had read some more. I went to the App Store and tried to purchase but my wifi crapped out (a common occurence in the kinkujin household) so I couldn't get it. Came here today and watched a video on GR-16 and said .... DONE!
    @mAxjUlien The mighty app won this time.

• @senhorlampada said:

@MonzoPro said:

Dude... you enlightened me...
    KEW was gathering dust here already :lol:

Thanks so much :smile:

You’re welcome - enjoy!