Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TWO FOR @KUHL/ jazz chords and horns

Well, @bedheadproducer inspired me with his 27 track Cubasis project, so I upped my jazz tune One For McD from 3 tracks to 5!!! Added to the Ravenscroft grand, iFretless Bass and SynthMaster player pad, two tracks of horns.... a single French Horn from IFretless Brass and a trumpet ensemble from BeatHawk inapp Brass Ensembles.

There is a thread about completing tracks currently. Two nights ago I finished One For McD actually with a horn track, but decided it didn't add anything to the piano bass and synth. But tonight I gave it another go thanks to Marc's inspirational Cubasis story and there was some mojo working this time with the horns. First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

If you listened to One For McD this will be an interesting encore. If you hear both I would really appreciate your opinions if the horns were worth the effort. Thanks!

Comments

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, @bedheadproducer inspired me with his 27 track Cubasis project, so I upped my jazz tune One For McD from 3 tracks to 5!!! Added to the Ravenscroft grand, iFretless Bass and SynthMaster player pad, two tracks of horns.... a single French Horn from IFretless Brass and a trumpet ensemble from BeatHawk inapp Brass Ensembles.

There is a thread about completing tracks currently. Two nights ago I finished One For McD actually with a horn track, but decided it didn't add anything to the piano bass and synth. But tonight I gave it another go thanks to Marc's inspirational Cubasis story and there was some mojo working this time with the horns. First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

If you listened to One For McD this will be an interesting encore. If you hear both I would really appreciate your opinions if the horns were worth the effort. Thanks!

I love this.so Jazzy! Jazz reminds me of black and white movies and when everybody smoked cigarettes or some sort of tobacco product. The Fretless bass sounds real.like you slipped into the shoes of a black jazz upright bassist in 1938. The Horn part eluded me at first because I got caught up by the bass. I love the fluttering horns towards the end.reminded me of a flock of birds coming and going. The Piano comping was incredible too. it kept me guessing if you would make a right or left turn. I love also, your use of tension and release and how by the end it just finishes at the perfect time and just gently melts into the earth.like.I'm done! Thank you.good night!

• @LinearLineman said:

so good I listened twice to catch more of what I missed the first time. Your timing is pretty great on this song in particular.it breathes..but has continuity. I don't know how you do it!

• Another great one! Bravo!

• This was so cool...
    I had to put on my Trenchcoat & hat, and light a cigarette under the streetlight :smile:
    Thanks Mike

• Thanks so much @bedheadproducer. Feels good coming from you. As to how I do it, I am really not quite sure. After a lot of years practicing with limited abilities, the zen seems to have kicked in. a lot easier to surrender now and let the force take over.
    I just wrote down a bunch of chords for this piece not really knowing how they would sound. Somehow it worked, but it proved to me once again that the feeling is so much more important than any particular notes or chords. Actually any notes of chords will work with the right feeling behind it. Shock and awe!

Thanks @theconnactic, so happy you take the time to listen and respond. And thank you @Kuhl for all your support and friendship. Time for you to post!

• edited September 2018

Yes! The horns really make this work. Suddenly the piano is not the focus and there's a lightness and jazz quality in the linear horn lines that make the chord progressions satisfying. I'd glad you didn't see the piece as being finished but just a "sneak peek" of a Work in Progress.

Now the young jazz composer can start here and then play the 1st version to catch all the chord complexity.

"Feeling" may be the most important to you but for everyone else the years you put in learning scales and chords to the point where you don't think in terms of scale or chords (except in this piece where you wrote some down)... those years matter. For you it's like a reset: OK forget all that scale-chord crap and just feel something and put that into this keyboard. Simple.

It's like the late room service maid that woke Bruce Lee from a deep sleep and ended up in the Hotel Parking Lot. She never knew what hit her and Bruce didn't know anyone tried to wake him up... just the intersection of bad luck and preparation.

So, feel grasshopper but when you get a moment share the chords you chose with the composers without black belts. We would like to learn and are still on the path to "feeling" beyond theory.

Is there an app that could notate this music for us? (I kid).

• "The intersection between bad luck and preparation" classic stuff, @McD. I will pm the chords to you, but they are very basic, just to give me the tonal center, major or minorness and Dom and Maj 7ths.

• edited September 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    Thanks so much @bedheadproducer. Feels good coming from you. As to how I do it, I am really not quite sure. After a lot of years practicing with limited abilities, the zen seems to have kicked in. a lot easier to surrender now and let the force take over.
    I just wrote down a bunch of chords for this piece not really knowing how they would sound. Somehow it worked, but it proved to me once again that the feeling is so much more important than any particular notes or chords. Actually any notes of chords will work with the right feeling behind it. Shock and awe!

Thanks @theconnactic, so happy you take the time to listen and respond. And thank you @Kuhl for all your support and friendship. Time for you to post!

I can’t post something not yet ready. I’m writing a bit every night, the progress is ok I guess, but I must take my time. I will hear the piece when it’s done, and if it’s any good, I’ll post a bit of it.
    Tonight I’ll try to install iOS 12 on my 12,9s :smile:

• Always impressed the stuff you do with the bass. That little horn line at 2:35 is classic too. Really like this one.

• @LinearLineman said:
    "The intersection between bad luck and preparation" classic stuff, @McD. I will pm the chords to you, but they are very basic, just to give me the tonal center, major or minorness and Dom and Maj 7ths.

The chords are not really all that basic. In fact it's damn tricky to figure out what key this music is in. Would anyone care to listen and take a guess. There are no wrong answers. I'm guessing A minor but with a modal scale like Phrygian or Locrian but hopefully someone will hear a tone center that would make a satisfying end. I think the actual ending is a potential modulation to a relative key like F or C.

Please share your thoughts on what the key center (and scale if you're inclined) might be. The @LinearLineMan just tries to avoid anything that has been used before so there's no circle of 5ths leading to some final Root. He was taught to avoid anything that sounded too familiar. I think rulers were involved because he follows these rules strictly.

• edited September 2018

Thanks so much for listening and your praise @oat_phipps. It means a lot to me, especially as you are a bassist.

@McDtracy yes, it does seem tricky, but probably Am is as close as one can get in this shifting landscape. Abandoning a key center and yet retaining a musical membrane seems progressive, don't you think? And, I guess you are right, having no rules can be construed as a rule! Like the expression
    "everything in moderation" is an extremist's statement. Everything in moderation...except iOS .... Ahhh, that does feel better.

• OMG, Mike! I'm in love with this track! :love:
    Your works keep getting better and better
    Also, I think this is one of the best mixes you delivered

• Wow, thanks for the generous praise @senhorlampada! You have given me great support from the beginning. I am grateful and it is very much appreciated!