Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS > Modular linking

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I don't have a eurorack system (but do have 0-Coast & Softpop) but my old housemate had a beast of a system so I've learnt a lot.

You can interface with things like ES-8, which allows you to record directly into your iPad (4 mono channels) and send stuff into the iPad/iPhone and back. There is Audulus and zMors Modular for merging the iOS devices into the rig.

I prefer to think about just clocking the 2 things together. So the upcoming Ableton Link module Spooky Action I am watching with a lot of interest. There is the cheaper option of the Missing Link thing but that looks like an even more limited release.

I did get Fugue machine working with his system for a couple of experiments, with a FH-1 and a USB MiDI interface (iConnectMIDI2+.)

If I was to control a rig with my iOS devices, I would consider the Endorphin.es Shuttle Control, it has 2 USB ins! Imagine that, controlling different sequences/modulations with an iPad and iPhone separately!

• I find this one quite interesting: A bluetooth / MIDI to CV and Clock interface plus an iOS app
    http://quicco.co.jp/mi1e/

Unfortunately the app seems to support nothing like IAA, AUv3, CoreMidi routing etc. so I'm asking myself if the hardware will accept any MIDI CC or Clock communication from an iOS DAW or MIDI sequencer. Reading the manual it doesn't seem like that's the case.

• Currently just a simple Pittsburg midi/cv module plus I have ES disting mk4 which you can buy a extra midi in/out module that connects to it for 40 euro. I also was considering the hermod for a future investment... shame to hear there are some current issues, hopefully the mentioned update resolves it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One cool trick I know people have done using AUM and a DC-coupled audio interface (like ES-8) is to create a simple clock pulse WAV file and load it into a FilePlayer with sync enabled. Voilá, clock output!

• edited September 2018
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

@Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    Currently just a simple Pittsburg midi/cv module plus I have ES disting mk4 which you can buy a extra midi in/out module that connects to it for 40 euro. I also was considering the hermod for a future investment... shame to hear there are some current issues, hopefully the mentioned update resolves it.

Disting mk4’s on my list.. Over the past few days it’s very quickly become a very long, very expensive list :/ Still not sure I’m gonna jump in....Haven’t even got a case yet and I’m my head I’m already spending the next 5 years (non) disposable income....

Will check out the Pittsburgh midi/cv. Is it usb or din?

Hermod does look cool/useful. Might go with cheap/basic solution to begin with and keep an eye out for the update to see how that pans out...

Actually the Pittsburgh is midi din, I have the older model and to be honest the pitch isn’t the most accurate if you are OCD like me but if you get the newer model I hear it has been resolved plus the dudes at Pittsburgh are so nice, they offered to replace the chip on my old model for free

https://www.thomann.de/gb/pittsburgh_modular_midi3.htm

It’s tricky for the price because you could buy something like a Behringer neutron for 300 euro and that has midi in/out (din/usb) and through plus two cem oscillators and a mod matrix and there are many other eurorack synth with built in midi nowadays.

ES-8 has sample accurate timing and something to look into especially if you use ableton live.

• edited September 2018
  • @Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Dawdles said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    Currently just a simple Pittsburg midi/cv module plus I have ES disting mk4 which you can buy a extra midi in/out module that connects to it for 40 euro. I also was considering the hermod for a future investment... shame to hear there are some current issues, hopefully the mentioned update resolves it.

Disting mk4’s on my list.. Over the past few days it’s very quickly become a very long, very expensive list :/ Still not sure I’m gonna jump in....Haven’t even got a case yet and I’m my head I’m already spending the next 5 years (non) disposable income....

Will check out the Pittsburgh midi/cv. Is it usb or din?

Hermod does look cool/useful. Might go with cheap/basic solution to begin with and keep an eye out for the update to see how that pans out...

Actually the Pittsburgh is midi din, I have the older model and to be honest the pitch isn’t the most accurate if you are OCD like me but if you get the newer model I hear it has been resolved plus the dudes at Pittsburgh are so nice, they offered to replace the chip on my old model for free

https://www.thomann.de/gb/pittsburgh_modular_midi3.htm

It’s tricky for the price because you could buy something like a Behringer neutron for 300 euro and that has midi in/out and through plus two cem oscillators and a mod matrix and there are many other eurorack synth with built in midi nowadays.

ES-8 has sample accurate timing and something to look into especially if you use ableton live.

Yeah neutron has crossed my mind, so much there for the £.....Maybe later ;)

Hermod/Shuttle Control etc really appeal cos of the multiple CV/Gate outs. Not sure I’d go down that kind of road, might feel too similar to daw work, but having the option feels like it’d make sense, to begin with at least...

From gear I have already it seems like iPad, Dominion one, Analog Keys and Octatrack could all intergrate pretty nice in to a minimal rack while I’m adding to it. Ideally I’d like to eventually feel like I have enough modules to use the modular standalone tho. I like the idea of just focusing on one space and being able to easy take it to jams without bunch of set up hassles etc.. iPad will maybe always have a place in the pile tho....ridiculously portable :)

Feels like it’s one of those things you can’t figure out where you’ll end up before you do it tho. Maybe I’ll end up using Ableton like you mention. Or liking the Octatrack pairing. Trial and error I guess. Expensive, time consuming trial and error :/

Expensive, time consuming and always a spoiler hiding somewhere no matter how much research is done 🙂

• edited September 2018
  • https://forum.audiob.us/profile/Dawdles
    I dipped my toe into modular and quickly got out, thankfully. The GAS for apps and modules is basically the same other than the price obviously. But yes trying to find a workflow is not easy and very subjective. Ios AU or bust has been a great recent decision for me. Lots of creative developing going on here..... some seems very modular minded.
    A great read from Bram Bos:

https://forum.audiob.us/profile/Dawdles

• edited September 2018

I recently got myself a DFAM and started building a modular rig. Which currently only has dreadbox whiteline VCO, frequency central raging bull which is a moog taurus mk1 filter/VCA clone, dreadbox envelope, doepfer exp. VCA, passive multi and passive divider.
    I bought an beatstep pro few days ago mainly for midi-cv purposes, but also trying to use it as a sequencer as well, hopefully some sketch pad sequencer i could then record elsewhere or sample modular playing it.

I have been using mpc live for a while with ipad just a sound module and fx processor for hardware synths. But i was trying to figure out if i could get rid of the mpc somehow with BSP and trying to incorporate ios more.

However i tried this with bm3 today and it didnt seem to play with BSP very nicely with, which is a shame as bm3 would had been a perfect app for my needs if i were to ditch the mpc(to feed the starting modular addiction ofc ;D ). The problem was that with bm3 forcing the mmc from transport controls to work, but they work differently with bsp and then bm3 started bugging something and i remembered why its good to keep certain tasks outside of ios.. Maybe ill just keep sampling to mpc.

I got the BSP used and could sell for the same price, so im still kinda looking for better options. I have been eyeing at expert sleepers es8, but dunno about it. It would eat a large part of the budget i have for the setup.

If someone has some ideas for my setup, im all ears. Still trying to wrap my head around it and see what is possible using the BSP and whether i should get something else instead.

Slim phatty will most likely go to fund eurocrack

• edited September 2018

@ToMess said:
    I recently got myself a DFAM and started building a modular rig. Which currently only has dreadbox whiteline VCO, frequency central raging bull which is a moog taurus mk1 filter/VCA clone, dreadbox envelope, doepfer exp. VCA, passive multi and passive divider.
    I bought an beatstep pro few days ago mainly for midi-cv purposes, but also trying to use it as a sequencer as well, hopefully some sketch pad sequencer i could then record elsewhere or sample modular playing it.

I have been using mpc live for a while with ipad just a sound module and fx processor for hardware synths. But i was trying to figure out if i could get rid of the mpc somehow with BSP and trying to incorporate ios more.

However i tried this with bm3 today and it didnt seem to play with BSP very nicely with, which is a shame as bm3 would had been a perfect app for my needs if i were to ditch the mpc(to feed the starting modular addiction ofc ;D ). The problem was that with bm3 forcing the mmc from transport controls to work, but they work differently with bsp and then bm3 started bugging something and i remembered why its good to keep certain tasks outside of ios.. Maybe ill just keep sampling to mpc.

I got the BSP used and could sell for the same price, so im still kinda looking for better options. I have been eyeing at expert sleepers es8, but dunno about it. It would eat a large part of the budget i have for the setup.

If someone has some ideas for my setup, im all ears. Still trying to wrap my head around it and see what is possible using the BSP and whether i should get something else instead.

Slim phatty will most likely go to fund eurocrack

Man, you can go quite a few different directions here. Have you tried to contact the dev's from BM3? I would double check if they can help with the transport control issue you mention.