Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Real curious, but I'm not buying it until I hear from our trusted panel of app experts about whether it's the Master-Drum-Synth-synchronizer everybody's been waiting for or not.

• From what I've read, you'll have to wait until the SDK is released and then implemented by the various developers before you'll notice any improvement in the sync outside of whats already implemented in those apps.

• The web site http://midib.us describes it as a cutdown version of MidiBridge by the same developers.

• edited December 2013

Just bought it,not because I'm expecting to get rock solid midi clock from it but as a useful midi tool.
    I've just tested Beatmaker 2,Auria and Loopy and the only one that generated any data that the app could analyse was loopy which is a bit confusing,are the other two generating gobbledygook ?

• Does that mean we won't need this if we already own MidiBridge...

• @jmsexton it has features not (currently) available in midibridge like clock sync and clock snooping. Once the sdk is in the wild, presuming devs do anything with it, it will be further differentiated from MidiBridge in its ability to unify ports and what not. This sounds like a great step but I'm with @noisehorse - I'll buy it if/when devs start to incorporate the SDK. I already know clocks blow on iOS so I don't need the snooper just yet. :)

• It'll be interesting to see how this catches on with developers and how many will implement it....waiting game

• I should have said 'like publishing a master clock for apps to sync to' instead of 'clock sync'. The devs claims it's the most solid clock master on iOS according to his testing. If that is enough to get apps to play nicely together (with their existing MIDI clock code), I'll buy it. Somehow, I doubt it though.

• edited December 2013

Syncs with DM1, and allows you to set BPMs. Start and stop works. Tested with Music Studio and that works also. I'll give it a run thru with major daws next.

Update: worked with Auria also.

• Thanks @mgmg4871! Can you get Auria to sync with DM1 and/or Funkbox? Like, press play in Auria and DM1 starts in time? If so, instabuy.

• Testing it more, I know it needs AB. Here's why. I can sync and play from Midibus, but can't get Auria to trigger DM1 from Auria. It will trigger Music Studio from within Auria. So, if it had AB that wouldn't be a problem with Dm1, because you would have the Midibus transport in Auria to trigger DM1. Same thing with Funkbox. The Midibus needs a bus ride from Audiobus.

• There is a fast switching feature, it just doesn't work with all apps.

• Thanks for checking Mr. Morris. I appreciate it.

• @syrupcore I think I have to backtrack on what I said. I failed to set DM1 on channel 10. I was able to start DM1 from within Music Studio. I will have to redownload Auria to test, but I think it will work.

• Still no love from Auria. Everybody, back on The Bus.

• Would it be possible to clock sync two apps running on different iPads with this and apollo? If yes that would be awesome

• I test it now:
    Can sync Samplr to Auria

ps: But works only if Midibus is the master clock (play and stop through his transport)

• Cubasis is in the "deluxe" position of not receiving Midi Clock,just sending (if ever).So,i suppose Midibus is currently quite worthless for me?!

• @Buska said:

Would it be possible to clock sync two apps running on different iPads with this and apollo? If yes that would be awesome

Ok guys I just bought it, and yes it does work over apollo, but drifts out of sync after a few bars... So pretty useless to me right now :(
    Guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get a iconnect4+ for stable clock to two iPads

• Just wanted to say that we have absolutely nothing to do with this.

• @Sebastian said:

Just wanted to say that we have absolutely nothing to do with this.

Unfortunately ;-)

• @mgmg4871 - great photo! Perfect way to explain it haha

• If a genie suddenly appeared and said I will grant you one wish but it can only be regarding Audiobus 2.
    Then it would be copy all the midi clock code from Loopy HD or Midibus and paste it into Audiobus 2 and add
    Transport controls to the Audiobus icon in the tabs bar then bingo,I'm a happy man.

• edited December 2013

@Multitouch - let me quote our own Audiobus 2 announcement:

Audiobus 2 will have a brand new look which enables us to add additional features more easily in the future and which we think looks really great and in tune with the design of iOS 7.

• Doesn't look like they'll be a double decker Bus.
    Fast switching to Audiobus and MTC may be only option.

Morning Morris,

Thanks for the kinds words about Midibus. This is the first cut, so really
    testing the water. Adding Audiobus fast switching/transport is something
    on my list to look at for sure.

The problem is that Audiobus requires an audio engine and like MidiBridge
    because Midibus is a pure MIDI app, it does not have one. When Audiobus
    were in their development phase (about 18 months ago) I had conversations
    with them to convince them to make the switching/transport control not
    tied to having an audio engine. I also tried to convince them to build on
    the OMAC fast-switch stuff (or assimilate OMAC into Audiobus) rather than
    redeveloping their own version for Audiobus. I was not able to do this,
    so I guess I was left by the roadside!

Ideally there should be one tech. for fast-switching. Maybe there will be
    a move to consolidate OMAC/Audiobus/Midibus sometime?

PS. Auria needs MTC to slave (not clock). The next version of the MidiBus
    app will send clock and MTC simultaneously and apps/devices that support
    either will thus be synchronisable. Thus you will be able to drive Auria
    and those other apps together from Midibus.

Regards,
    Nic.

• ^ ^ This genie is so coy. ;-) Consider your lamp rubbed, @Sebastian.

Solid MIDI transport function, with controls on the tab bar would be amazing.

• edited December 2013

@Sebastian I know this is YOU

And @Michael

• @Sebastian said:

I'd say that's pretty obvious if you've opened both apps.

• edited December 2013

@Sebastian said:

The name is really a shame. Glad he got his app out and hope the tech matures because it's aiming to solve a real problem but still think the name is a tacky bite. Could have stopped there but he went on to make the URL http://midib.us/. Weak.

• I think the real story is a little more nuanced, and older, and deeper, than you suggest, @syrupcore. It usually is. Both sides are real nice people. Humans, if you will. And both products are truly complements to each other, I always am running both.