Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using iPad as MIDI input to Ableton

I'm trying to use some apps on my iPad as a MIDI sequencer for Ableton essentially.
I have the iPad connected to my MacBook via USB. I have IDAM setup correctly. Ableton recognizes and even appears to record the MIDI notes. However, when playing back, I get no sound. I do have an instrument on the track in Ableton.
Thanks

Comments

• In Ableton>preferences>audio do you have speakers or headphones correctly selected for output?

Also, if you are using Ableton's sampler, are sounds mapped to the pitch range of your midi track. (Test with one of the other Ableton instruments that is less likely to be pitch range mapped.)

Not sure if you are new to Ableton, but you are activating play on the track - not just activating the transport and no tracks, right?

• Channel Settings MIDI correct on Ableton?

Solo/Mute button is odd at times the coloring on mine so maybe enable audio you attempting to play?

Is the midi triggering sounds or just not recording in Piano roll?

Odds are channel settings are off or flip flopped.

There are several ways to goof it up .....I know.

IF IF YOU SET iDAM up and then used it without restarting that may also jam up.

iDam is not always agreeable.

TRY THIS IF IT PERSISTS INSTEAD OF iDAM:

UBridge

Does great job connecting iOS devices to computer

it is from Nuno who brought us DRC synth.

He has an awesome Ableton Controller app that this is used to connect.

But it is a great tool.

Maybe check out his other app if you have a chance:

https://www.imaginando.pt/products/lk

This is as good as you get for complete control of MIDI and then if you have AUDIO of iDAM set up you can use all of it together.

• Sorry I wasn't getting response notifications.
    @Angie Yeas I have "Built-in Output" selected for audio output.

So you can see in the screenshot I have some midi in Ableton and I have instruments n the track. Still no sound though.
    If I manually enter a midi note in the same track, I get a sound.
    I guess my main question is: it should be possible to use an iPad app through IDAM as a sequencer for an Ableton instrument correct?

• I’m not a lot of help for you. When I send midi from iPad to Ableton, I do it over WiFi using rptMidi on the PC and network midi in iOS. Basically just keeping a WiFi midi connection into Ableton and the hitting Ableton’s midi capture button if inspiration hits.

Do you have the arm button on?

• @Angie I didn't know rptMidi existed. thanks for mentioning it.

• @[Deleted User] This will be useful for you as well: http://musicappblog.com/wireless-network-midi-ipad-to-pc/

@Antkn33 That article also links to wifi midi instructions for mac. Not sure if that would be of any benefit, but perhaps.

• One other thought for @Antkn33 - Try setting up iPhone and midi before turning on Ableton. (Or shut down and restart Ableton if you already have it open.) I just had it not register my wifi MIdi connection until I did a restart.

• @Angie said:
    @[Deleted User] This will be useful for you as well: http://musicappblog.com/wireless-network-midi-ipad-to-pc/

@Antkn33 That article also links to wifi midi instructions for mac. Not sure if that would be of any benefit, but perhaps.

perfect! :-)

• You should be seeing the external midi activating the yellow level markers. If not, check preferences to make sure the input channel is turned on.

• Well, I don't know what happened but it started working as expected. Weird.... I have no idea what I did differently (if anything).

• @Antkn33 said:
    Sorry I wasn't getting response notifications.
    @Angie Yeas I have "Built-in Output" selected for audio output.

So you can see in the screenshot I have some midi in Ableton and I have instruments n the track. Still no sound though.
    If I manually enter a midi note in the same track, I get a sound.
    I guess my main question is: it should be possible to use an iPad app through IDAM as a sequencer for an Ableton instrument correct?

From the picture try on the “Post FX” to change the same as your midi input ( so it matches)... Also arm it ( red colour on that channel).... If there is midi showing & no sound, change “Monitor” from “Auto” to “In” on that channel..