PSA: Don't update to iOS 12.4 if you use apps in AB output slot or IAA apps that use the mic.
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34030/urgent-psa-hold-off-updating-to-ios-12-4-if-you-use-apps-in-output-slot-in-audiobus

THE BEST PART OF APPLE WWDC/KEYNOTE EVENTS IS...

12345679»

Comments

  • @mAxjUlien said:
    Yeah Mac App Store is pretty sad but we know why that is. No one is forced or motivated to cut Apple in on the 30% tax when consumers still go to dev websites for downloads. If that were to change...the App Store would be lit like July 4th. Wait for it....it’s coming. Or...the inevitable merge iOS/OS.

    But the iOS app store isn‘t better for pro music apps.
    The mac store seems great for selling Logic f.e.

  • @Cib said:

    @mAxjUlien said:
    Yeah Mac App Store is pretty sad but we know why that is. No one is forced or motivated to cut Apple in on the 30% tax when consumers still go to dev websites for downloads. If that were to change...the App Store would be lit like July 4th. Wait for it....it’s coming. Or...the inevitable merge iOS/OS.

    But the iOS app store isn‘t better for pro music apps.
    The mac store seems great for selling Logic f.e.

    That's Logical.

  • But it‘s stainless steel (again).

  • @u0421793 said:

    @Cib said:
    But it‘s stainless steel (again).

    Wow, that's tough shit.

  • @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    A similarly specced Dell XPS costs half as much as the Mac. When I bought mine, the XPS equivalent actually cost more.

    I'm not familiar with the Dell XPS, but isn't the logical choice to just buy one of those then, if you believe that they're equivalent, yet one costs twice as much as the other?

    I don’t want to buy a Dell. I’m just trying to point out, and apparently failing, that MacBook Pro prices have leapt dramatically since I bought one.

    I’ll try again:

    2012 (late)
    MBP £1474
    Dell XPS equivalent £1749

    2018 (now)
    MBP £2500
    Dell XPS equivalent £1200 ish.

    I don’t want a Dell, or a 13” MBP, or a second-hand hatstand. I want Apple to allow those of us who don’t have money to burn, to be able to afford an entry level 15” MacBook Pro like we did a few years ago.

    Over the last 5 years Dell have knocked £500 off the price, Apple have added £1000.

    Allowing for inflation, and special extra taxes for UK customers I’d expect to get an entry level MBP for about £1800. £2500 is taking the piss - particularly after reading about issues with the new models.

    The last MacBook I purchased was about 10 years ago, so I haven't been closely following MacBooks and MacBook Pros these past few years, and I do think that I know where you're coming from and you don't like that there isn't an affordable MacBook Pro 15" available anymore.

    From a pragmatic point of view, Apple has made a calculated and deliberate move and since they do not offer an entry level 15" MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar/Touch ID etc., Apple is apparently fine with not offering an affordable entry level 15" anymore. Apple is apparently fine with only offering the 13" as the entry level, budget model.

    I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with their choices. I am just trying to say that there's nothing that you can do about that of course. Apple has made their move and their decisions, and you are free to make your next move and your next choice.

    Well yeah, I know that. Basically Apple have taken the decision making of MacBook Pro laptop vs Windows laptop out of my hands, since I’m never going to be able to afford £2500 for a laptop. Unless the next OS update cripples it even more, or the motherboard packs up, I’ll keep my old one going for as long as I can, then get a cheap Dell or HP. If the Air’s were 15” I’d probably look into those....just have to see what’s around when this one packs up - probably gold plated MacBook Pros for ten grand.

    Don't understand your complaining. If you don't have the money, just make your laptop or pc hardware run MacOS. Don't want to do the whole installation yourself, buy a second hand Hackintosh machine.

    https://hackintosh.com/

  • @greengrocer said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    A similarly specced Dell XPS costs half as much as the Mac. When I bought mine, the XPS equivalent actually cost more.

    I'm not familiar with the Dell XPS, but isn't the logical choice to just buy one of those then, if you believe that they're equivalent, yet one costs twice as much as the other?

    I don’t want to buy a Dell. I’m just trying to point out, and apparently failing, that MacBook Pro prices have leapt dramatically since I bought one.

    I’ll try again:

    2012 (late)
    MBP £1474
    Dell XPS equivalent £1749

    2018 (now)
    MBP £2500
    Dell XPS equivalent £1200 ish.

    I don’t want a Dell, or a 13” MBP, or a second-hand hatstand. I want Apple to allow those of us who don’t have money to burn, to be able to afford an entry level 15” MacBook Pro like we did a few years ago.

    Over the last 5 years Dell have knocked £500 off the price, Apple have added £1000.

    Allowing for inflation, and special extra taxes for UK customers I’d expect to get an entry level MBP for about £1800. £2500 is taking the piss - particularly after reading about issues with the new models.

    The last MacBook I purchased was about 10 years ago, so I haven't been closely following MacBooks and MacBook Pros these past few years, and I do think that I know where you're coming from and you don't like that there isn't an affordable MacBook Pro 15" available anymore.

    From a pragmatic point of view, Apple has made a calculated and deliberate move and since they do not offer an entry level 15" MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar/Touch ID etc., Apple is apparently fine with not offering an affordable entry level 15" anymore. Apple is apparently fine with only offering the 13" as the entry level, budget model.

    I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with their choices. I am just trying to say that there's nothing that you can do about that of course. Apple has made their move and their decisions, and you are free to make your next move and your next choice.

    Well yeah, I know that. Basically Apple have taken the decision making of MacBook Pro laptop vs Windows laptop out of my hands, since I’m never going to be able to afford £2500 for a laptop. Unless the next OS update cripples it even more, or the motherboard packs up, I’ll keep my old one going for as long as I can, then get a cheap Dell or HP. If the Air’s were 15” I’d probably look into those....just have to see what’s around when this one packs up - probably gold plated MacBook Pros for ten grand.

    Don't understand your complaining. If you don't have the money, just make your laptop or pc hardware run MacOS. Don't want to do the whole installation yourself, buy a second hand Hackintosh machine.

    https://hackintosh.com/

    Yeah it's the best move right now I think. For those who really need the power, better buy a PC and install OSX, before apple dumps intel and gets back to own brew CPUs (which has been rumored and would mean they might once again block OSX to run on anything else but their products).

  • edited September 2018

    @Norbert said:
    I prefer to invest in a good ipad for production and have a shit phone just in case I need to make some calls. I guess I will keep my SE a couple more years

    That’s my approach too. I don’t waste money on iPhone or the latest MacBook as I use iPad most of the time. I love tablets.

  • @LinearLineman said:

    @Kühl said:

    @LinearLineman said:
    Well, caught Tim Cook live. Counted one "awesome" and one "magical. He does not disappoint! Just phones and watches.
    I guess I can start up a new rumor thread!

    @Nobert, I respectfully disagree. The prices for their products are determined by what the market will bear. If a person cannot afford the new X phone, he or she can buy a lesser device, or an Android, or used. I cannot afford a $1200 phone, but again I have no use for it. People complain about $20 apps. Get free apps. It has always been the same baked beans, you buy what you can afford. The tech is great at all levels. There is no entitlement here. Capitalism has not been suspended last I heard.

    I have suspended & dismantled capitalism in a circumference of 100 meters around my house :)

    Well, that's good for Norwegians where every citizen is an oil baron!💵💷💶💴💰❤️

    Just like in Venezuela you mean :smile:

    Well anyway. I lay up last night thinking about my Mac Pro Silvertower with 30” Cinema Display screen...
    It’s still a powerful machine, but I have no more room in my truck. So today I called my friend Kyrre, who dreams of a Mac but can’t afford it. I asked him if he wanted it for free. The guy went bananas on the phone :smile:

  • @Kühl said:

    @LinearLineman said:

    @Kühl said:

    @LinearLineman said:
    Well, caught Tim Cook live. Counted one "awesome" and one "magical. He does not disappoint! Just phones and watches.
    I guess I can start up a new rumor thread!

    @Nobert, I respectfully disagree. The prices for their products are determined by what the market will bear. If a person cannot afford the new X phone, he or she can buy a lesser device, or an Android, or used. I cannot afford a $1200 phone, but again I have no use for it. People complain about $20 apps. Get free apps. It has always been the same baked beans, you buy what you can afford. The tech is great at all levels. There is no entitlement here. Capitalism has not been suspended last I heard.

    I have suspended & dismantled capitalism in a circumference of 100 meters around my house :)

    Well, that's good for Norwegians where every citizen is an oil baron!💵💷💶💴💰❤️

    Just like in Venezuela you mean :smile:

    Well anyway. I lay up last night thinking about my Mac Pro Silvertower with 30” Cinema Display screen...
    It’s still a powerful machine, but I have no more room in my truck. So today I called my friend Kyrre, who dreams of a Mac but can’t afford it. I asked him if he wanted it for free. The guy went bananas on the phone :smile:

    Both generous and cool.

  • @knewspeak said:

    @Kühl said:

    @LinearLineman said:

    @Kühl said:

    @LinearLineman said:
    Well, caught Tim Cook live. Counted one "awesome" and one "magical. He does not disappoint! Just phones and watches.
    I guess I can start up a new rumor thread!

    @Nobert, I respectfully disagree. The prices for their products are determined by what the market will bear. If a person cannot afford the new X phone, he or she can buy a lesser device, or an Android, or used. I cannot afford a $1200 phone, but again I have no use for it. People complain about $20 apps. Get free apps. It has always been the same baked beans, you buy what you can afford. The tech is great at all levels. There is no entitlement here. Capitalism has not been suspended last I heard.

    I have suspended & dismantled capitalism in a circumference of 100 meters around my house :)

    Well, that's good for Norwegians where every citizen is an oil baron!💵💷💶💴💰❤️

    Just like in Venezuela you mean :smile:

    Well anyway. I lay up last night thinking about my Mac Pro Silvertower with 30” Cinema Display screen...
    It’s still a powerful machine, but I have no more room in my truck. So today I called my friend Kyrre, who dreams of a Mac but can’t afford it. I asked him if he wanted it for free. The guy went bananas on the phone :smile:

    Both generous and cool.

    Thank you ☺️

  • @Kühl said:
    I called my friend Kyrre, who dreams of a Mac. I asked him if he wanted it for free.

    Good story.

  • edited September 2018

    After selling BILLIONs of computers and iDevices, Apple has access to a massive amount of BIG DATA, Marketing Data Science, Data Visualization, statistics, analytical insights, market dynamics and trends that facilitate them decide on features and pricing of their products. It is not wise for us to challenge (with our half-baked knowledge) the thousands of highly qualified, experienced and cream-of-the-crop Engineers, Marketers, Sales pros, C-level Executives, etc. working at Apple who made sane business decisions and state that Apple is doing things wrongly. We cannot say millions of clients who made Apple a Trillion-dollar company were wrong and we are right.

    If they converted the 15" MacBook Pro into SSD and Retina-only that resulted in a $1000 price increase, it happened only after an extensive study of the market needs, demands and sales trends. Major business decisions like this are not made lightly - never! Maybe, 15" MacBook Pro with HDD and non-Retina wasn't selling as much and wasn't worth the hassle (it was discontinued only after a couple of years of launching the SSD/Retina version and so that's a hint of what was selling and what was not selling). It made business-sense to them to keep only the SSD/Retina version as a pro laptop for Pros. If you own a business, you will not oblige just a few of your customers who expect you to continue offering a product that is not selling for you but incurring losses! If it was selling, they would have definitely retained that version - just like they still keep selling many lower-end and older models. A huge chunk of their revenue comes from lower-end and older model stream. No one loses money in business.

    There is a reason why people want to buy Apple products (even though they seem expensive). There is a reason why Dell keeps slashing prices of their crappy products. The reason is age old and we all know it - "We get what we pay for".

  • @LinearLineman said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear , thank you for the writing compliment. I try to put my ideas across as forcefully and as entertainingly as I can for the fun of it. If people want to complain about prices, really, it's fine by me. It is their pain (or pleasure) after all. And that's why we come here, no? For fun and a little harmless drama.

    I will cry my kingdom for some horsemeat, as well, Monsieur Goodyear. Where were you when I needed you on my meaningless rumor thread?

    I was in the wings, an Arathorn quite ready yet unneeded...

  • @JohnnyGoodyear Thank you, Royal Eagle. You would have swept us to 15k I am sure.

  • @MobileMusic said:
    … We cannot say millions of clients who made Apple a Trillion-dollar company were wrong and we are right.

    Of course we can, in fact we must, and even, so must they. Otherwise we’re in the realm of belief, superstition, religion and groupthink. Always question what you know.

  • Don't understand your complaining. If you don't have the money, just make your laptop or pc hardware run MacOS. Don't want to do the whole installation yourself, buy a second hand Hackintosh machine.

    Or better still, run Linux. Much better performance from your hardware due to less OS overhead, and no included crapware like Windows. OSX is ok, but not that great.

  • edited September 2018

    @greengrocer said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    A similarly specced Dell XPS costs half as much as the Mac. When I bought mine, the XPS equivalent actually cost more.

    I'm not familiar with the Dell XPS, but isn't the logical choice to just buy one of those then, if you believe that they're equivalent, yet one costs twice as much as the other?

    I don’t want to buy a Dell. I’m just trying to point out, and apparently failing, that MacBook Pro prices have leapt dramatically since I bought one.

    I’ll try again:

    2012 (late)
    MBP £1474
    Dell XPS equivalent £1749

    2018 (now)
    MBP £2500
    Dell XPS equivalent £1200 ish.

    I don’t want a Dell, or a 13” MBP, or a second-hand hatstand. I want Apple to allow those of us who don’t have money to burn, to be able to afford an entry level 15” MacBook Pro like we did a few years ago.

    Over the last 5 years Dell have knocked £500 off the price, Apple have added £1000.

    Allowing for inflation, and special extra taxes for UK customers I’d expect to get an entry level MBP for about £1800. £2500 is taking the piss - particularly after reading about issues with the new models.

    The last MacBook I purchased was about 10 years ago, so I haven't been closely following MacBooks and MacBook Pros these past few years, and I do think that I know where you're coming from and you don't like that there isn't an affordable MacBook Pro 15" available anymore.

    From a pragmatic point of view, Apple has made a calculated and deliberate move and since they do not offer an entry level 15" MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar/Touch ID etc., Apple is apparently fine with not offering an affordable entry level 15" anymore. Apple is apparently fine with only offering the 13" as the entry level, budget model.

    I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with their choices. I am just trying to say that there's nothing that you can do about that of course. Apple has made their move and their decisions, and you are free to make your next move and your next choice.

    Well yeah, I know that. Basically Apple have taken the decision making of MacBook Pro laptop vs Windows laptop out of my hands, since I’m never going to be able to afford £2500 for a laptop. Unless the next OS update cripples it even more, or the motherboard packs up, I’ll keep my old one going for as long as I can, then get a cheap Dell or HP. If the Air’s were 15” I’d probably look into those....just have to see what’s around when this one packs up - probably gold plated MacBook Pros for ten grand.

    Don't understand your complaining. If you don't have the money, just make your laptop or pc hardware run MacOS. Don't want to do the whole installation yourself, buy a second hand Hackintosh machine.

    >

    It’s a thread about Apple, and I made a comment on the £1000 price hike for an entry level MBP.

    Ok?

  • @pauly said:

    Don't understand your complaining. If you don't have the money, just make your laptop or pc hardware run MacOS. Don't want to do the whole installation yourself, buy a second hand Hackintosh machine.

    Or better still, run Linux. Much better performance from your hardware due to less OS overhead, and no included crapware like Windows. OSX is ok, but not that great.

    Unless you are also a gamer and then it becomes complicated.

  • @MonzoPro said:

    @greengrocer said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    A similarly specced Dell XPS costs half as much as the Mac. When I bought mine, the XPS equivalent actually cost more.

    I'm not familiar with the Dell XPS, but isn't the logical choice to just buy one of those then, if you believe that they're equivalent, yet one costs twice as much as the other?

    I don’t want to buy a Dell. I’m just trying to point out, and apparently failing, that MacBook Pro prices have leapt dramatically since I bought one.

    I’ll try again:

    2012 (late)
    MBP £1474
    Dell XPS equivalent £1749

    2018 (now)
    MBP £2500
    Dell XPS equivalent £1200 ish.

    I don’t want a Dell, or a 13” MBP, or a second-hand hatstand. I want Apple to allow those of us who don’t have money to burn, to be able to afford an entry level 15” MacBook Pro like we did a few years ago.

    Over the last 5 years Dell have knocked £500 off the price, Apple have added £1000.

    Allowing for inflation, and special extra taxes for UK customers I’d expect to get an entry level MBP for about £1800. £2500 is taking the piss - particularly after reading about issues with the new models.

    The last MacBook I purchased was about 10 years ago, so I haven't been closely following MacBooks and MacBook Pros these past few years, and I do think that I know where you're coming from and you don't like that there isn't an affordable MacBook Pro 15" available anymore.

    From a pragmatic point of view, Apple has made a calculated and deliberate move and since they do not offer an entry level 15" MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar/Touch ID etc., Apple is apparently fine with not offering an affordable entry level 15" anymore. Apple is apparently fine with only offering the 13" as the entry level, budget model.

    I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with their choices. I am just trying to say that there's nothing that you can do about that of course. Apple has made their move and their decisions, and you are free to make your next move and your next choice.

    Well yeah, I know that. Basically Apple have taken the decision making of MacBook Pro laptop vs Windows laptop out of my hands, since I’m never going to be able to afford £2500 for a laptop. Unless the next OS update cripples it even more, or the motherboard packs up, I’ll keep my old one going for as long as I can, then get a cheap Dell or HP. If the Air’s were 15” I’d probably look into those....just have to see what’s around when this one packs up - probably gold plated MacBook Pros for ten grand.

    Don't understand your complaining. If you don't have the money, just make your laptop or pc hardware run MacOS. Don't want to do the whole installation yourself, buy a second hand Hackintosh machine.

    >

    It’s a thread about Apple, and I made a comment on the £1000 price hike for an entry level MBP.

    Ok?

    I have to agree with @MonzoPro here. I think the evidence shows from a UK perspective (and maybe others), that Apple price points are increasing. Yes, they have cheap entry points, but many of those seem like cut down older products when historically new computer tech gets cheaper as time goes by.

    Apple are masters of muddying the waters of product placement and the upsale price range - it’s simply not easy to compare even their own ranges / memory configurations etc. I often find myself desiring that sweet spot that exists between their product positioning. They simply want you to spend more all the time.

    It’s not all winging about price on its own, it’s also about worth positioning. We all over time associate certain levels of tech with certain price points - a gauge of worth if you will. The older Apple management knew this and made damn sure they hit those each time. The new management are much more savvy however and have found that for the majority, they can up sell - this means more profit.

    So let’s give @MonzoPro a break shall we. He really does have a point that things have changed. Yes, Apple may be upping the tech points with those prices, but they are also changing the price of certain traditional points of entry too - upwards. All very clever and will make them more money. Those they lose are a minority and they don’t care how they feel.

    As the saying goes ‘with great power comes great responsibility’. As reality goes ‘with great power comes great wealth’.

  • @Fruitbat1919 said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @greengrocer said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    A similarly specced Dell XPS costs half as much as the Mac. When I bought mine, the XPS equivalent actually cost more.

    I'm not familiar with the Dell XPS, but isn't the logical choice to just buy one of those then, if you believe that they're equivalent, yet one costs twice as much as the other?

    I don’t want to buy a Dell. I’m just trying to point out, and apparently failing, that MacBook Pro prices have leapt dramatically since I bought one.

    I’ll try again:

    2012 (late)
    MBP £1474
    Dell XPS equivalent £1749

    2018 (now)
    MBP £2500
    Dell XPS equivalent £1200 ish.

    I don’t want a Dell, or a 13” MBP, or a second-hand hatstand. I want Apple to allow those of us who don’t have money to burn, to be able to afford an entry level 15” MacBook Pro like we did a few years ago.

    Over the last 5 years Dell have knocked £500 off the price, Apple have added £1000.

    Allowing for inflation, and special extra taxes for UK customers I’d expect to get an entry level MBP for about £1800. £2500 is taking the piss - particularly after reading about issues with the new models.

    The last MacBook I purchased was about 10 years ago, so I haven't been closely following MacBooks and MacBook Pros these past few years, and I do think that I know where you're coming from and you don't like that there isn't an affordable MacBook Pro 15" available anymore.

    From a pragmatic point of view, Apple has made a calculated and deliberate move and since they do not offer an entry level 15" MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar/Touch ID etc., Apple is apparently fine with not offering an affordable entry level 15" anymore. Apple is apparently fine with only offering the 13" as the entry level, budget model.

    I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with their choices. I am just trying to say that there's nothing that you can do about that of course. Apple has made their move and their decisions, and you are free to make your next move and your next choice.

    Well yeah, I know that. Basically Apple have taken the decision making of MacBook Pro laptop vs Windows laptop out of my hands, since I’m never going to be able to afford £2500 for a laptop. Unless the next OS update cripples it even more, or the motherboard packs up, I’ll keep my old one going for as long as I can, then get a cheap Dell or HP. If the Air’s were 15” I’d probably look into those....just have to see what’s around when this one packs up - probably gold plated MacBook Pros for ten grand.

    Don't understand your complaining. If you don't have the money, just make your laptop or pc hardware run MacOS. Don't want to do the whole installation yourself, buy a second hand Hackintosh machine.

    >

    It’s a thread about Apple, and I made a comment on the £1000 price hike for an entry level MBP.

    Ok?

    I have to agree with @MonzoPro here. I think the evidence shows from a UK perspective (and maybe others), that Apple price points are increasing. Yes, they have cheap entry points, but many of those seem like cut down older products when historically new computer tech gets cheaper as time goes by.

    Apple are masters of muddying the waters of product placement and the upsale price range - it’s simply not easy to compare even their own ranges / memory configurations etc. I often find myself desiring that sweet spot that exists between their product positioning. They simply want you to spend more all the time.

    It’s not all winging about price on its own, it’s also about worth positioning. We all over time associate certain levels of tech with certain price points - a gauge of worth if you will. The older Apple management knew this and made damn sure they hit those each time. The new management are much more savvy however and have found that for the majority, they can up sell - this means more profit.

    So let’s give @MonzoPro a break shall we. He really does have a point that things have changed. Yes, Apple may be upping the tech points with those prices, but they are also changing the price of certain traditional points of entry too - upwards. All very clever and will make them more money. Those they lose are a minority and they don’t care how they feel.

    As the saying goes ‘with great power comes great responsibility’. As reality goes ‘with great power comes great wealth’.

    I also agree with your point. They seem to be releasing older, tech for the same price point.
    Many times people here have been disappointed with the specs even on the top line products when compared to Apple products, that's even when you pay the extra price difference for the Apple device.

  • One thing that really puzzles me though is how after all these years, no one has criticised the true anti-competitive nature of the iOS AppStore.

  • @knewspeak said:
    One thing that really puzzles me though is how after all these years, no one has criticised the true anti-competitive nature of the iOS AppStore.

    The App Store is just crap. If it wasn’t for this Forum, I would never know anything I liked was even released. Apple push what they believe will make them money and the rest is just for number of apps on store bragging rights.

    Dropping of the affiliate program will really make it tougher for the small selling apps.

  • @Fruitbat1919 said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @greengrocer said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @CrazySynthMan said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    A similarly specced Dell XPS costs half as much as the Mac. When I bought mine, the XPS equivalent actually cost more.

    I'm not familiar with the Dell XPS, but isn't the logical choice to just buy one of those then, if you believe that they're equivalent, yet one costs twice as much as the other?

    I don’t want to buy a Dell. I’m just trying to point out, and apparently failing, that MacBook Pro prices have leapt dramatically since I bought one.

    I’ll try again:

    2012 (late)
    MBP £1474
    Dell XPS equivalent £1749

    2018 (now)
    MBP £2500
    Dell XPS equivalent £1200 ish.

    I don’t want a Dell, or a 13” MBP, or a second-hand hatstand. I want Apple to allow those of us who don’t have money to burn, to be able to afford an entry level 15” MacBook Pro like we did a few years ago.

    Over the last 5 years Dell have knocked £500 off the price, Apple have added £1000.

    Allowing for inflation, and special extra taxes for UK customers I’d expect to get an entry level MBP for about £1800. £2500 is taking the piss - particularly after reading about issues with the new models.

    The last MacBook I purchased was about 10 years ago, so I haven't been closely following MacBooks and MacBook Pros these past few years, and I do think that I know where you're coming from and you don't like that there isn't an affordable MacBook Pro 15" available anymore.

    From a pragmatic point of view, Apple has made a calculated and deliberate move and since they do not offer an entry level 15" MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar/Touch ID etc., Apple is apparently fine with not offering an affordable entry level 15" anymore. Apple is apparently fine with only offering the 13" as the entry level, budget model.

    I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with their choices. I am just trying to say that there's nothing that you can do about that of course. Apple has made their move and their decisions, and you are free to make your next move and your next choice.

    Well yeah, I know that. Basically Apple have taken the decision making of MacBook Pro laptop vs Windows laptop out of my hands, since I’m never going to be able to afford £2500 for a laptop. Unless the next OS update cripples it even more, or the motherboard packs up, I’ll keep my old one going for as long as I can, then get a cheap Dell or HP. If the Air’s were 15” I’d probably look into those....just have to see what’s around when this one packs up - probably gold plated MacBook Pros for ten grand.

    Don't understand your complaining. If you don't have the money, just make your laptop or pc hardware run MacOS. Don't want to do the whole installation yourself, buy a second hand Hackintosh machine.

    >

    It’s a thread about Apple, and I made a comment on the £1000 price hike for an entry level MBP.

    Ok?

    I have to agree with @MonzoPro here. I think the evidence shows from a UK perspective (and maybe others), that Apple price points are increasing. Yes, they have cheap entry points, but many of those seem like cut down older products when historically new computer tech gets cheaper as time goes by.

    Apple are masters of muddying the waters of product placement and the upsale price range - it’s simply not easy to compare even their own ranges / memory configurations etc. I often find myself desiring that sweet spot that exists between their product positioning. They simply want you to spend more all the time.

    It’s not all winging about price on its own, it’s also about worth positioning. We all over time associate certain levels of tech with certain price points - a gauge of worth if you will. The older Apple management knew this and made damn sure they hit those each time. The new management are much more savvy however and have found that for the majority, they can up sell - this means more profit.

    So let’s give @MonzoPro a break shall we. He really does have a point that things have changed. Yes, Apple may be upping the tech points with those prices, but they are also changing the price of certain traditional points of entry too - upwards. All very clever and will make them more money. Those they lose are a minority and they don’t care how they feel.

    As the saying goes ‘with great power comes great responsibility’. As reality goes ‘with great power comes great wealth’.

    Here here !

  • @Fruitbat1919 said:

    @knewspeak said:
    One thing that really puzzles me though is how after all these years, no one has criticised the true anti-competitive nature of the iOS AppStore.

    The App Store is just crap. If it wasn’t for this Forum, I would never know anything I liked was even released. Apple push what they believe will make them money and the rest is just for number of apps on store bragging rights.

    Dropping of the affiliate program will really make it tougher for the small selling apps.

    Agree. Besides that if you look further than their careful created image you'll see a company that doesn't like to be critized and with the power they carefully build they litterally destroy critics, they avoid taxes where they can and they even own an investment company with a big share in their own stock that manipulates their stock prices. The only thing Apple cares about is profit and for this it is important how the control their so called positive image if they face critique.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @LinearLineman said:
    Guys, I fail to understand the sense of entitlement people are expressing. The Germans, in their 1930s wisdom made the Volkswagen, a car for the people.... They also made the Porsche, for a few people. Can anyone here seriously complain they cannot afford a Porsche, the price must come down for them?

    If the iPhone were some lifesaving medical procedure... Maybe...maybe their could be a case for righteous indignation, but for a discriminatory purchase? Come on. The iPhone is the Mercedes of phones, and like Mercdes you can buy entry level or buy used for half the price. Where is the rancor justified here?
    What law says everyone should be able to afford a luxury item?

    Add to this INFLATION, and as was said R&D... I mean, nano pieces in the chips, a trillion calculations ( is that true?) could any of us come up with such innovative crap? But we use it, create with it and get a hell of a lot of pleasure out of it that our forbears of 60,000,000 years could never acquire for all the cowrie shells on the island. The Chinese have a computer, last I heard, that can do four quadrillion calculations in a second... Damn, if it weren't so expensive I could have that! Those blasted, greedy Chinese!

    If you are under eighteen I can allow for a certain amount of naivety and misguided all for one ideas. But if you are a mature adult ranting about tremendously successful technological innovations and their expense perhaps you can remember the introduction of the color tv.... Very expensive and not everyone could get one.... But Lordy, now everyone has one. All these new expensive features will be available in time, just as power windows and mirrors are in the humblest vehicles. But then there will be new stuff... Earl Grey, hot, perhaps. Will you still bitch with your $200 ( inflation adjusted to $100) iPhone X clone in your hand?

    I have come to expect maturity in most areas on this forum, but whenever cost is discussed the mewling begins. And over what? The French Revolution was fomented in part by the rising cost of bread. People need to eat. But dining on nanochips? Let them eat Samsung! I make satisfying music on an ipad4. I will probably buy a used Pro2. Thank you Apple for making it possible. But there is a gorgeous Arabian stallion for sale... Those bastards, how dare they ask for that price when horse meat is $4 a pound!

    I don't agree philosophically (or maybe socio-politically?) with all of this, but it is well written and I am a tart for a turn of phrase and when I'm feeling a little Marie-Antoinette-like (as regards the complaining buggers) I am going to shout Horsemeat! from now on as I shuffle off towards the guillotine....

    “ Horse Chestnuts! “ should be the cry... there won’t be any conker tree’s left in the uk in another 10 years, then we can all whinge about the £40 per bag price as we queue at the roasting stall on Market st in the autumn months.. ( jesus! that time of year is upon us already .. did this forum just steal my summer? )

  • edited October 2018

    Apple iPad Pro event is on Oct 30

    https://apple.news/AeedB1U1rRa2KxMKykjLnSg

Sign In or Register to comment.