Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Au Audio effects for ambient jams?

Really enjoing adding effects to long dreamy pads.

Virsyn- Bandshift, fun silkysmooth freq shifter
Bram bos- Preforator, gates for pad notches
Audio damage-Quatromod

Can you suggest any others to get creative with? (Besides the obvious reverbs and delays)
-thx

Comments

• edited September 2018

AAS Objeq by Applied Acoustics Systems

They describe it as something to put on drums but I think it works great as a pitchshifter (of sorts) and resonator.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aas-objeq/id1160030374?mt=8

• There was a recent thread with lots of great suggestions: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28396/ios-must-have-effects-for-ambient-downtempo

And while you state AU, I would suggest that there are a lot of great IAA apps for creative sound processing: my personal favorite of Fieldscaper, Crystalline, ElasticFX, Moebius Lab, etc.

• @audiblevideo said:
    AAS Objeq by Applied Acoustics Systems

They describe it as something to put on drums but I think it works great as a pitchshifter (of sorts) and resonator.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aas-objeq/id1160030374?mt=8

I wish you could reset the pitch with a double tap though.

• Lot's of good cheap IAA FX:
    Holderness Bundle of 6 FX
    AAS Objeq for sure - it works like magic on any impulse since it's made to make table tapping sound like african hand drums, cajons, djembe, bass marimbas, and oil can drums. Use it on a punchy bass line and watch out
    ToneStack Go with Motherloads 1,2,3 - guitar trash made virtual

AUv3
    Consider using the AUv3 FX capability of SynthMaster One for something special (See Doug's Video re: setup)
    GliderVerb is not just a verb (it glides too)
    One Bit (turns any input into random Morse Code "Dit-Dit-Dot")

AU MIDI
    Physicles - combining Physics and 'sicles (What's left after they Pop) Kinetic random sweetness (with balls)

• @McDtracy said:

Oops... I signed an NDA. Please pretend I didn't disclose "One Bit". Dah-Dah-Dah Dah-Dit-Dah? Game Changer? No. More of a Diaper Changer. Still, Ambient Projects with secret messages?

"I am the walrus"
    "Paul is dead"

You can send the App SMS messages and hear the Morse Code in the audio. Could be big with the Hamm Radio crowd.

• @McDtracy said:

@McDtracy said:

Oops... I signed an NDA. Please pretend I didn't disclose "One Bit". Dah-Dah-Dah Dah-Dit-Dah? Game Changer? No. More of a Diaper Changer. Still, Ambient Projects with secret messages?

"I am the walrus"
    "Paul is dead"

You can send the App SMS messages and hear the Morse Code in the audio. Could be big with the Hamm Radio crowd.

Haha. When i was about 17 I made a short brass band arrangement of my name in morse code. Think I still have an audio clip of it somewhere — it actually sounded pretty good!

• @aplourde said:
    There was a recent thread with lots of great suggestions: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28396/ios-must-have-effects-for-ambient-downtempo

And while you state AU, I would suggest that there are a lot of great IAA apps for creative sound processing: my personal favorite of Fieldscaper, Crystalline, ElasticFX, Moebius Lab, etc.

Hey thx! Maybe im being shallow but im keeping things strictly AU. Its just a smoother work flow and a lot less glitchy.

• @breilly said:

@aplourde said:
    There was a recent thread with lots of great suggestions: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28396/ios-must-have-effects-for-ambient-downtempo

Hey thx! Maybe im being shallow but im keeping things strictly AU. Its just a smoother work flow and a lot less glitchy.

Yah, for me now I will load IAA into BM3 only for a short bit for sampling. I dump all IAA before quitting a session.

• @McDtracy said:
    Lot's of good cheap IAA FX:
    Holderness Bundle of 6 FX
    AAS Objeq for sure - it works like magic on any impulse since it's made to make table tapping sound like african hand drums, cajons, djembe, bass marimbas, and oil can drums. Use it on a punchy bass line and watch out
    ToneStack Go with Motherloads 1,2,3 - guitar trash made virtual

AUv3
    Consider using the AUv3 FX capability of SynthMaster One for something special (See Doug's Video re: setup)
    GliderVerb is not just a verb (it glides too)

AU MIDI
    Physicles - combining Physics and 'sicles (What's left after they Pop) Kinetic random sweetness (with balls)

aas objeq is auv3 as well

• Holderness bundle

• @breilly said:

@aplourde said:

Certainly your prerogative, but I will say the AUv3 only means you are missing out on some of the most interesting and powerful apps out there!

Fieldscaper, Moebius Labs and ElasticFX go far beyond what any AUv3 effects currently offer. I'll also mention the recently 64-bit-ified Jasuto as it's a modular synth / effect that has FFT capabilities.

Beyond that are the sound generators like Samplr, Borderlands Granular (also works as an effect), Soundscaper, Fieldscaper (non-looping effect with loaded sample), iPulsaret, the full version of iVCS3, Shoom....
    And then the rhythm makers: Patterning, Elastic Drums, SeekBeats, Xynthesizr....

Personally, I find working with IAA / Audiobus apps with the Audiobus panel or Audiobus Remote a better workflow than constantly opening / shuffling AUv3 windows. Yes, ad hoc MIDI mapping is quicker with AUv3 (dependent on your host), but I have, for the most part, created MIDI mappings for my IAA apps, so after the initial tedium, its currently just as quick for me to remotely control them.

Regarding glitching, IAA apps can be prone to leaving zombie processes, but proper app closing ettiequte deals with that (as well as an audio sub-system reboot). Frankly I'm seeing a lot of AUv3 crashes these days. I'm guessing it's memory leaks and the small limit imposed by Apple (Dedalus, Axon 2, iSEM, Replicant 2 are the worst offenders)

• Don’t forget the great all-rounder “Turnado”.

• @Proto said:
    Don’t forget the great all-rounder “Turnado”.

Always thinking Turnado is just for crazy stuff but not for “dreamy ambient” as @breilly mentioned...😎

• @chandroji said:

@Proto said:
    Don’t forget the great all-rounder “Turnado”.

Always thinking Turnado is just for crazy stuff but not for “dreamy ambient” as @breilly mentioned...😎

I use it for dreamy audio

• @chandroji

The green ones are for crazy stutter/loop fx. Turnado got so many fx and presets it’s suited for all kinds of music. I must admit you need to tame the beast a bit and not use all fx slots at once. :)

• Audio Damage Discord 4 I would say is a near-must for what you want

• @oat_phipps said:
    Audio Damage Discord 4 I would say is a near-must for what you want

I agree. Was gonna point this one out since it seems to be constantly overlooked

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@oat_phipps said:

I agree. Was gonna point this one out since it seems to be constantly overlooked

Yeah, even just turning the left and right semi-tones to -9 and 14, say, gives everything especially pads a good stereo, lower-fi feel

• @aplourde said:

@breilly said:

@aplourde said:

Certainly your prerogative, but I will say the AUv3 only means you are missing out on some of the most interesting and powerful apps out there!

Fieldscaper, Moebius Labs and ElasticFX go far beyond what any AUv3 effects currently offer. I'll also mention the recently 64-bit-ified Jasuto as it's a modular synth / effect that has FFT capabilities.

Beyond that are the sound generators like Samplr, Borderlands Granular (also works as an effect), Soundscaper, Fieldscaper (non-looping effect with loaded sample), iPulsaret, the full version of iVCS3, Shoom....
    And then the rhythm makers: Patterning, Elastic Drums, SeekBeats, Xynthesizr....

Personally, I find working with IAA / Audiobus apps with the Audiobus panel or Audiobus Remote a better workflow than constantly opening / shuffling AUv3 windows. Yes, ad hoc MIDI mapping is quicker with AUv3 (dependent on your host), but I have, for the most part, created MIDI mappings for my IAA apps, so after the initial tedium, its currently just as quick for me to remotely control them.

Regarding glitching, IAA apps can be prone to leaving zombie processes, but proper app closing ettiequte deals with that (as well as an audio sub-system reboot). Frankly I'm seeing a lot of AUv3 crashes these days. I'm guessing it's memory leaks and the small limit imposed by Apple (Dedalus, Axon 2, iSEM, Replicant 2 are the worst offenders)

Thx for your reply. I dont feel good about not using such creative apps but it just absolutely kills me when getting those prompts: click to restart app, lauching delays etc via iaa.
    My first thought is return to hardware 😆. However i do find it much more pleasurable to use such deep creative apps as standalone. IOS is ever evolving, we’ll see whats to come.

• edited September 2018

@Proto said:
    @chandroji

The green ones are for crazy stutter/loop fx. Turnado got so many fx and presets it’s suited for all kinds of music. I must admit you need to tame the beast a bit and not use all fx slots at once. :)

Maybe you are right @Proto !

But I haven't seen a single video where Tornado was used for ambient style music. All 127 YouTube videos about Tornado are rather used in EDM or extremely experimental music styles.

So far I had the impression that ambient musicians are not the target group of Tornado. But maybe I'm wrong... 😎

I'm really interested in nice effects but especially the Tornado videos couldn't convince me to buy the app yet. At least not for my dreamy ambient music.

Possible Turnado can fit within very dark ambient...😊

• @chandroji
    I'm not saying it's the best for ambient, but just lots of fx in one AU. Also don't forget you have a lot of edit and lfo possibilities inside turnado. Just wanted to say lots of value for only a few cups of coffee.

• Turnado can be whatever you want...sure if you use one of the presets they tend to be pretty crazy. But i usually setup my “virtual pedalboard “ per track/jam. Usually 2-3 different delays, 2 reverbs, one glitchy slicer and then whatever else fits.

Here is a track i had uploaded running my guitar in

And a new one i just uploaded today, neosoulkeys fed by rozeta cells.

• @vpich said:
    Turnado can be whatever you want...sure if you use one of the presets they tend to be pretty crazy. But i usually setup my “virtual pedalboard “ per track/jam. Usually 2-3 different delays, 2 reverbs, one glitchy slicer and then whatever else fits.

Here is a track i had uploaded running my guitar in

And a new one i just uploaded today, neosoulkeys fed by rozeta cells.

Yooo that second video was mad dope and impressive! Killer

• @oat_phipps said:

Luvin discord thx! Mannnn audio damage and virsyn just do it so right👌🏼

• I am getting discord 4 now.
    I'm looking at filter station, but thinking maybe just go Fab filter and call it a day... They say it's great for eqing and filtering.... So why buy 10 apps when one could be the answer 😁

Replicant looks cool but I don't make glitchy drums, wood love to hear people use it on synths or samples to see what it can do outside of drums

• And I need more reverb, adverb looks fun... But there are so many to choose from, eos is great and crystalline but I want more 😂

• Thanks. I have dischord on my short list. Looks great. @reasOne i like replicant a lot, used it on a video before but it does create pops on synth notes.

• @vpich said:
    Thanks. I have dischord on my short list. Looks great. @reasOne i like replicant a lot, used it on a video before but it does create pops on synth notes.

Gotta link ?