Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sample and File management recommendation

Hello,

I have been coming back to IOS music making after taking a break some time ago, and after a lot of research, I see sample and file management really hasn't progressed all that much under IOS and am wondering how some people manage and sync their files?

On my computer, I use a single folder structure that is sync'ed to OneDrive and have broken down al of my samples and loops into various categories under that structure. All of my DAWs can see any of the files there, and any time I add something new, the files are automatically sync'ed back to OneDrive without any manual intervention.

I am trying to replicate this in the IOS world, but really do not see one app or solution that will fill that need. I tend to use Cubasis as my main Daw, and various AUs and AB3 instruments. I do have AudioCopy and AudioShare installed which works great for iMPC Pro 2 and some of the AUs, but none of these are automatic. nor use OneDrive.

As a bit of a work around, I use GoodReader to automatically sync the sample folders I want under my OneDrive folder structure, and this also gives me a great way of auditioning samples, but not from within a DAW, only from within Goodreader itself.

I am really trying to stay away from iCloud storage space as I would like to have a single repository for all sample and audio files under OneDrive.

How does everyone else get around all of these discombobulated systems and closed sandboxes?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

I am using iMazing. Fairly angry to have to use a 3rd party lap/desktop app to simply manage files on my iPad, but it works.

• edited September 2018

iOS recently introduced new APIs that let any app browse all other apps' storage and all installed cloud providers -- so basically, the same as your regular "Open" or "Save" dialogs on Windows. Unfortunately, it's very new and not many apps have implemented them yet. But with time... :)

• @SevenSystems said:
    iOS recently introduced new APIs that let any app browse all other apps' storage and all installed cloud providers -- so basically, the same as your regular "Open" or "Save" dialogs on Windows. Unfortunately, it's very new and not many apps have implemented them yet. But with time... :)

That was over one year ago and a year before that iOS Fileprovider extension dropped together with iOS DocumentPicker so technically the ’solution’ has been in place for almost two years... AudioShare added iOS Fileprovider Extension weeks after iOS10 dropped.

For some strange reason developers have almost been boycotting adding iOS DocumentPicker and ActionSheet for file import & export which honestly puzzles me...

• @Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

That was over one year ago and a year before that iOS Fileprovider extension dropped together with iOS DocumentPicker so technically the ’solution’ has been in place for almost two years... AudioShare added iOS Fileprovider Extension weeks after iOS10 dropped.

For some strange reason developers have almost been boycotting adding iOS DocumentPicker and ActionSheet for file import & export which honestly puzzles me...

I am not fully up on it but it seems like different issues hit different devs and it is just overhead to figure out. Even things like how they have to handle state saving / preset sharing if they load files etc. Just sounds like there are some under the hood protocol messes.

• edited September 2018

@Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

That was over one year ago and a year before that iOS Fileprovider extension dropped together with iOS DocumentPicker

When you're as old as me, 2 years old IS "very new" ;)

• I’ve said this before . I’m getting the new MacBook AIR and integrate both that and iOS. . There’s no good answer to this that I can see coming within the near future .

• @SevenSystems said:

@Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:

That was over one year ago and a year before that iOS Fileprovider extension dropped together with iOS DocumentPicker

When you're as old as me, 2 years old IS "very new" ;)

Haha, you guys are awesome!
    But I was also thinking recently, man, I totally missed that one 😂