Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone using Harrison Mixbus?

edited September 2018 in Other

Picked up a licence for it today to use in mixing/mastering tracks for an upcoming recording project that'll mainly be tracked from a live iOS setup into BM3.

Have been attracted to Mixbus for a while as a Linux native DAW with a solid reputation. I also like the style of 'emulated desk' mixing with loads of channel strips that it encourages and I have a couple of colleagues in production who use it and speak highly of it.

Had a play and seems very nice! Loads of really high quality plugins available on Linux too. Haven't done a lot of mixing/mastering in the last few years so I'm looking forward to getting more deeply into it!

Anyone else here used/using Mixbus?

Comments

• It can be a bit unstable, and the built-in analog emulation eats up some CPU on its own. But... it sounds good and can make mixing easier, for sure. It's fairly basic when it comes to MIDI, and I think it still can't handle VST3 instruments and effects (though there's some cumbersome workarounds, such as something by Blue Cat). Generally, it does encourage you to mix with your ears, not your eyes, and puts the tools necessary to do that - and sound good - at your fingertips.

• edited September 2018

@vitocorleone123 said:
    It can be a bit unstable, and the built-in analog emulation eats up some CPU on its own. But... it sounds good and can make mixing easier, for sure. It's fairly basic when it comes to MIDI, and I think it still can't handle VST3 instruments and effects (though there's some cumbersome workarounds, such as something by Blue Cat). Generally, it does encourage you to mix with your ears, not your eyes, and puts the tools necessary to do that - and sound good - at your fingertips.

Yeah, that's the impression I got from reading around about it. I don't think I'll be mixing anything but audio stems so that all seems to fit my use-case. Didn't have any stability issues here so far and it definitely did sound great. I love how the compressor reduction is side by side with the channel volume too.

It also looks like it's possible to control pretty much every aspect of it via OSC and there's a touchOSC layout for it available -- so that's nice!

Cooler yet:

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    It can be a bit unstable, and the built-in analog emulation eats up some CPU on its own. But... it sounds good and can make mixing easier, for sure. It's fairly basic when it comes to MIDI, and I think it still can't handle VST3 instruments and effects (though there's some cumbersome workarounds, such as something by Blue Cat). Generally, it does encourage you to mix with your ears, not your eyes, and puts the tools necessary to do that - and sound good - at your fingertips.

No Linux DAW supports VST3 yet as far as i am aware, either native Linux VST3 plugins (which dont exist yet anyway) or Windows VST3 via Wine.

• I use mixbus on Mac and love it. There are some crashes on occasion but the sound and ease of use in mixing make it worth it. I just got 32c over the summer and now version 5.

• @Turntablist said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

No Linux DAW supports VST3 yet as far as i am aware, either native Linux VST3 plugins (which dont exist yet anyway) or Windows VST3 via Wine.

I’m not sure of the tech involved but I have a music/media optimised distro called ‘AVLinux’ on one partition for working with audio and it came with a whole bunch of hand picked native plugins pre-installed. There are literally hundreds and the quality is fantastic!

• @OscarSouth said:

@Turntablist said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

I’m not sure of the tech involved but I have a music/media optimised distro called ‘AVLinux’ on one partition for working with audio and it came with a whole bunch of hand picked native plugins pre-installed. There are literally hundreds and the quality is fantastic!

I used to use av Linux as well, it is really good. Ultimately the fight with JACK and sound card drivers, etc just became not worth the hassle though. Which is too bad because Microsoft and apple are both pretty frustrating, but not in a way that prevents work from getting done (although apple does seem to be working on that as a goal....)

• @mrufino1 said:

@OscarSouth said:

@Turntablist said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

I used to use av Linux as well, it is really good. Ultimately the fight with JACK and sound card drivers, etc just became not worth the hassle though. Which is too bad because Microsoft and apple are both pretty frustrating, but not in a way that prevents work from getting done (although apple does seem to be working on that as a goal....)

Have been fortunate with this myself. Both my iCA4+ and Presonus iTwo have worked perfectly with JACK without needing to install any drivers. I pass audio and MIDI between Linux and iOS with the iCA4+ same as I would between two iPads.

• @Turntablist said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

Carla supported VST3 until recently (when JUCE was removed). I believe the plan is to re-add VST3 support soon. :smile:

• I suggest subscribing to newsletter cause Ive seen Mixbus sales for under 30€. Never used it for recoding or edited , only routed audio from Reaper and used it as effect.
    It does have unique sound but always wondered why they don’t make a vst channel strip for users that don’t want to learn a new DAW ....

• @Korakios said:
    I suggest subscribing to newsletter cause Ive seen Mixbus sales for under 30€. Never used it for recoding or edited , only routed audio from Reaper and used it as effect.
    It does have unique sound but always wondered why they don’t make a vst channel strip for users that don’t want to learn a new DAW ....

Yeah picked it up for €20 yesterday!

Did a bit of mixing with it today and very happy with the results. Great sounding DAW. Highly connectable with iOS too! I have an initial device hosting a control surface with TouchOSC and a second hosting plugins/instruments in AUM (audio routed with iCA4+). Will be finishing all my tracks this way from now on!

• 20E :o . Just saw it on the site. But I also saw v5 of 32c launched (on sale too for 100E!). I wonder if v5 of Mixbus would follow ....
    Still for 20E it's great deal ;)

• edited September 2018

@Korakios said:
    20E :o . Just saw it on the site. But I also saw v5 of 32c launched (on sale too for 100E!). I wonder if v5 of Mixbus would follow ....

Yea, v5 is definitely coming so I see it as a good deal overall on the upgrade (add another 20) and in the meantime I’ve already got a wicked DAW here to be working with!

• edited September 2018

V5 of 32c is absolutely awesome. V5 of standard mixbus is coming, I know that.

Here's a track just released today, mixed in 32c, started in v4 but finished in v5.

https://shutterwax.com/track/big-news

• edited September 2018

@OscarSouth said:

@Korakios said:
    20E :o . Just saw it on the site. But I also saw v5 of 32c launched (on sale too for 100E!). I wonder if v5 of Mixbus would follow ....

Yea, v5 is definitely coming so I see it as a good deal overall on the upgrade (add another 20) and in the meantime I’ve already got a wicked DAW here to be working with!

@mrufino1 said:
    V5 of 32c is absolutely awesome. V5 of standard mixbus is coming, I know that.

Here's a track just released today, mixed in 32c, started in v4 but finished in v5.

https://shutterwax.com/track/big-news

Ohhhh yeah!!! Didn't expect this!

• I've heard they have pretty damned good customer service. That's good business right there.

• This is the first big project that I completed between iOS music production apps and Mixbus:

http://udagan.bandcamp.com/track/t-kh

I had my Mixbus machine (running in Debian based Linux) running and connected to an iCA4+ interface, with an iPad Air2 connected to the same device. I routed audio and MIDI between the two machines and tracked everything in Mixbus. Mixbus slaved very well to a MIDI clock when needed and the automatically calculated delay compensation was flawless.

When the audio was tracked I switched over to Mixbus and mixed/mastered the thing in there. Absolutely great experience -- painless, flexible and fast, and the console emulation DSP is fantastic. Killer workflow!