Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 Browsing Full Sample Name

Maybe i‘m just an idiot. When i go to my „sample“ folder in Beatmaker 3 i only can read the first words of the sample‘s name. That is a problem when browsing large collections. Is there a way to read the full name or to activate Full Screen View within the samples folder? Thanks!!!

Comments

• If there's a way I haven't found it. And yes, it's frustrating!

• Yes, this and needing search and filter. Has been reported and is hopefully going to get fixed.

• Yes, this is another example of the bad programming in BM3.
    They do the same for MIDI ports, where you can only guess which is what and try help yourself with experiments.
    The developers do not seem to use the App themselves, which is always a bad. Otherwise, those bugs would have been fixed one day after the release.

• @tja said:
    Yes, this is another example of the bad programming in BM3.
    They do the same for MIDI ports, where you can only guess which is what and try help yourself with experiments.
    The developers do not seem to use the App themselves, which is always a bad. Otherwise, those bugs would have been fixed one day after the release.

Totally disagree. BM3 is one of the most adventurous undertakings on iOS. It has some brilliant programming and yes, a lot bugs. Look at how long the similarly complex NS2 DAW is taking. Look at how long certain ‘obvious’ bugs in Korg apps have taken to get fixed (years). The developer does use it to make music. Where did you hear he doesn’t?

• @tja said:
    Yes, this is another example of the bad programming in BM3.

Very uninformed disrespectful post, you have no idea about the codebase or the things involved in changing any of said codebase.
    There is no need to be disrespectful to developers and claim things as bugs when something is just not implemented the way you personally would like it.

• @gusgranite and @Turntablist
    My post was intentionally formulated this way.

The last update was 7, yes SEVEN month ago!
    They do nothing, it seems to me.

And in all the updates they did deliver, they did not manage to roll out even the state of MIDI from the beta versions, as far as I remember.

And having sample names and MIDI ports not even readable it like software from a child.
    It is clear from that, that the developers do not use the App themselves!
    Such things would have long be fixed otherwise.

You may not like my stance to this, but it simply describes what is real!

But I should bother less, as I don't use the App - only maybe later for the song mode.

• edited September 2018

7 months between updates is not too much if you ask me -- that is, IF the last available version of the respective app in the App Store is close to bug- and issue free (which BM3 doesn't seem to be from what I'm reading here. I must admit I have not dug deep into it so far as I have the same problem as many others, the app simply is TOO innovative for me.). But I'm also an old conservative fart. :)

• @tja frustration at a lack of updates is totally valid but saying “bad programming” and “software from a child” is just rude and misinformed.

• tjatja
    edited September 2018

@gusgranite said:
    @tja frustration at a lack of updates is totally valid but saying “bad programming” and “software from a child” is just rude and misinformed.

As I said, intentionally - maybe Intua is reading this.

But, those two things are neither rude nor misinformed.
    Just the truth, but formulated harsh.

The programming for MIDI ports and, as it seems, even samples, is just a bad joke, nothing else!

You may not want to hear or see this, but...

Just try to select the right channel :D B) ;)

• edited September 2018

There is nothing real about that stance, first beta testers shouldn’t be telling about features in public because it causes these knds of childish tantrums when a beta feature doesn’t get released, second you say you don’t use thesoftware but you use every opportunity it seems to bad mouth it and its programmers, again just childish behaviour.

A real stance is you do not like the software, so you ignore it and threads about it, i despise Gadget, am i in every thread disrespecting it and its programmers, no, why, because it is an amazing bit of software created by amazingly talented programmers, just because i do not like it or it does not fit my particular mindset does not change that.

• tjatja
    edited September 2018

@Turntablist said:
    There is nothing real about that stance, first beta testers shouldn’t be telling about features in public because it causes these knds of childish tantrums when a beta feature doesn’t get released, second you say you don’t use thesoftware but you use every opportunity it seems to bad mouth it and its programmers, again just childish behaviour.

A real stance is you do not like the software, so you ignore it and threads about it, i despise Gadget, am i in every thread disrespecting it and its programmers, no, why, because it is an amazing bit of software created by amazingly talented programmers, just because i do not like it or it does not fit my particular mindset does not change that.

Yes, it may be true that Intua has my full childish attention.
    I can try to control myself a bit better in this regard.

But reading that not even the names of samples can be read because of the "good" programming and intense use by the developers themselves just infuriated me.

In future, I will try better to ignore such thing.

Anyway, it's still the truth ;)

• For anyone on the fence about what a fantastic piece of software BM3 is already (bugs’n’all!) check out the top tunes being made with it:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1609749049093011

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/categories/showcase

• edited September 2018

In support of @tja, in all seriousness: When you have a selection list of important stuff in which each entry looks exactly the same, then this really is a serious problem and it must mean that the developer did never use it, because -- it's simply not usable 😂 at least on tja's device. Maybe there's enough room for the full labels on a 12.9" iPad, and that's the only device the developer has tested it on.

• Twenty characters for a name is actually quite a few, but lets not forget here that tja doesn’t use the software and just doesn’t like the developer for whatever reason, because the developer knows longer names to be read and even tried scrolling names, but that was not very nice, so the discussion then went to full screen browsing.
    But again, tja doesn’t use the software, doesn’t like the developer, and doesn’t know anything about the developer discussing with his users to come up with a better way on this issue.
    Perhaps you shouldn’t support his childish uninformed nonsense at all ;)

• edited September 2018

Sorry didin’t see the post above about MIDI ports, it shows the ports as registered, in the case of Audiobus the names are a bit ridiculous to be perfectly truthful, Audiobus - Bram Boss Bassline would fit perfectly, Audiobus actually registers “Audiobus - Audiobus MIDI destination endpoint for peer Bram Boss Bassline”
    But the request is not can we have simplified names in Audiobus or the actual target at the start of the name, it is blame Beatmaker because i hate Beatmakers developers.

Yes port aliasing would be nice and has been talked about with the developer, but come on, you think that port naming by Audiobus is normal ?
    Also the name scrolling was tested here too, didn’t work, felt very strange.

• @Turntablist said:
    Yes port aliasing would be nice and has been talked about with the developer, but come on, you think that port naming by Audiobus is normal ?

You have a point there. I'm not sure how Xequence would react to such long port names either. Time to test! :)

• tjatja
    edited September 2018

@Turntablist I added MidiFlow to show that this is the same.
    But don't forget, that this seems to be the same for sample names, where long names are very common!

Anyway, it's true that I am not happy with Intua, but I promised to control myself better in this regard ;)

• Hrmmm. I just host all my AUs and external gear directly in BM3. I rarely use Audiobus as a go between...if i do this kind of thing i usually just host in AUM...but everyone’s needs are unique to their workflow...low friction is mine so i can get making tunes. <3 o:)

• @tja in fact MF adaptor 2 shows perfectly and is a reasonable name, in fact it has plenty of space left for extra characters, all the ones not showing have Audiobus involved.

Yes it could be better, from both developers.

I just searched Beatmaker here for your posts, can we assume the delayed release of the iPhone version of Beatmaker 3 is where the hatred stems from ?

• @Turntablist said:
    @tja in fact MF adaptor 2 shows perfectly and is a reasonable name, in fact it has plenty of space left for extra characters, all the ones not showing have Audiobus involved.

Yes it could be better, from both developers.

I just searched Beatmaker here for your posts, can we assume the delayed release of the iPhone version of Beatmaker 3 is where the hatred stems from ?

Partly. Mostly because they explained nothing about the delayed release, which seemed quite arrogant to me and then the series of new versions without what was expected: MIDI stuff that was there in the betas and then the lack of transient detection which was there in BM2 already and also the promised iPhone version. But mostly because I feel them to be arrogant, which makes me angry. And maybe also, because some people always defend Intua and BeatMaker, which makes me feel the need to say something different ;)

Childish attention :p

• “We become what we think about most of the time,” a wise man once said.

• edited September 2018

@echoopera said:
    “We become what we think about most of the time,” a wise man once said.

couldnt help but think this as well

• Bm3 is quite a powerful package, in being so it is quite deep and feature rich...i think it just takes time to get everything running perfectly smooth...bm2 stayed under development for a long long time...it still works and could be a solution for those who dont like or cant use bm3. I have no doubt in my mind that intua will indeed address everything in time. For what it is worth just know that for under 50 bucks you have bought a more powerful sampler than most out there...

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

(Rant alert ... sorry.)

I think it’s extremely arrogant to feel entitled to updates from any developer regarding development priorities, upcoming features, or timeline. No developer owes that to anyone, and frankly it’s a no-win proposition for them. Promise things too far out and people get angry. Pressure yourself into making up a date, and you’re not only being dishonest (because all but simple updates are nearly impossible to predict), and then people get even more angry if you miss a deadline.

Sure, certain developers around here are exceptionally great about giving peeks into what’s coming down the pipeline next, and what features they’re considering or not. But arrogant not to respond to pissy, arrogant, entitled bitching?? That’s over the top. If I were the developer, I would have to withhold response because my response would be far from customer-service friendly.

Now, I do have to say I feel bad for the BM3 beta testers. From what I read some time ago, their betas have expired and there has been no communication about the status (though that could have changed since I read that). Now those people have volunteered their time and effort, so they could reasonably expect better communication. But even then, I have to assume the developer is in some kind of difficulty or uncertainty, not arrogant.

Open communication from developers is very nice to have, and probably helps them sell more software. But it’s just plain wrong to feel entitled to product progress reports on-demand, other than for maybe for bug reports through the developer’s own communicated reporting method. Particularly not for the prices we pay for iOS software.

@tja glad to hear that you have decided to be less aggressive toward Intua. B)

• Bm3 being referred to as a toy or something to that regard is one of the most incredulous things I have read on this forum.

Ever.

• There's an emotional state people can reach called Righteous Indignation. RI is typically a reactive emotion of anger over perceived mistreatment, insult, or malice. It is akin to what is called a sense of injustice. "I have been wronged."

Often when requesting a developer/vendor change an App we start with courtesy and start our internal clock. Let the clock run too long or get a reply that seems like an insult and you can see a user slip into this state of RI.

A normal human being in this state becomes hostile but operates from the belief anyone being treated this way would understand and be empathetic. Maybe they will sign on to raise hell with the vendor. Mobs can form quickly with great but flawed Apps like Reason Compact? IT'S FREE! Still... RI Mob 'cause they could have... ya-da, ya-da. FREE w/ Reason Lite for dessert. Still... RI.

I get there often and my spouse will suggest: "Would you rather be right or effective? What will get the offending person/vendor to give you what you seek? Maybe you should just try working on something less frustrated... wait for the change you seek."

I usually turn on her in a state of RI and so it's goes. Talking someone out of RI is a request to absorb the "steam". "Hey, Hurt me."

I have (yet) to buy BM3 and this helps me feel somehow like I dodged a bullet.

Carry on.

• PS Some poor souls live in a perpetual state of Righteous Indignation. Give them a lot of room to vent here freely. It makes the world a safer place.Something (perceived or real) painful put them there.

OK. Carry on.

• @wim said:
    (Rant alert ... sorry.)

I think it’s extremely arrogant to feel entitled to updates from any developer regarding development priorities, upcoming features, or timeline. No developer owes that to anyone, and frankly it’s a no-win proposition for them. Promise things too far out and people get angry. Pressure yourself into making up a date, and you’re not only being dishonest (because all but simple updates are nearly impossible to predict), and then people get even more angry if you miss a deadline.

Sure, certain developers around here are exceptionally great about giving peeks into what’s coming down the pipeline next, and what features they’re considering or not. But arrogant not to respond to pissy, arrogant, entitled bitching?? That’s over the top. If I were the developer, I would have to withhold response because my response would be far from customer-service friendly.

Now, I do have to say I feel bad for the BM3 beta testers. From what I read some time ago, their betas have expired and there has been no communication about the status (though that could have changed since I read that). Now those people have volunteered their time and effort, so they could reasonably expect better communication. But even then, I have to assume the developer is in some kind of difficulty or uncertainty, not arrogant.

Open communication from developers is very nice to have, and probably helps them sell more software. But it’s just plain wrong to feel entitled to product progress reports on-demand, other than for maybe for bug reports through the developer’s own communicated reporting method. Particularly not for the prices we pay for iOS software.

A necessary rant. If I had my way, I would trade the flag option on posts for a “misplaced energy” alert. Disparaging developers does nothing to move things forward.

• ___> @rockodil said:

Maybe i‘m just an idiot. When i go to my „sample“ folder in Beatmaker 3 i only can read the first words of the sample‘s name. That is a problem when browsing large collections. Is there a way to read the full name or to activate Full Screen View within the samples folder? Thanks!!!___

yes, there is a way!

In the sample folder, select 'Edit' at top right. Select the sample you want to read and at the bottom select 'Rename'. It will display the entire sample name no matter how long.

enjoy!

• @BitterGums said:
    ___> @rockodil said:

Maybe i‘m just an idiot. When i go to my „sample“ folder in Beatmaker 3 i only can read the first words of the sample‘s name. That is a problem when browsing large collections. Is there a way to read the full name or to activate Full Screen View within the samples folder? Thanks!!!___

yes, there is a way!

In the sample folder, select 'Edit' at top right. Select the sample you want to read and at the bottom select 'Rename'. It will display the entire sample name no matter how long.

enjoy!

Thanks, this seems to be a workaround till the bug get fixed!
    Just to make clear : I really enjoy BM3! My favourite App