Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I-Rig low Input signal from ukulele

I use a makala Acoustic concert Uke with pick up (PS 900 passive EQ). Now i connected it to irig and my iPad. But the input level is much low, about -30db. Also with gain i have no chance to get a good recording. What am i doing wrong? Or is my setup stupid? Thanks for tipps!

Comments

• A passive pick up doesn't provide enough signal for recording.

Your options are:

1. Fit an active pick up. Not as hard as it seems. Or sell this one and buy a uke with an active pick up.
    2. Buy a preamp
    3. Buy a small mixer to act as a preamp but can also be used elsewhere.
    4. Buy an interface with preamps.

I'd say point 1 and 4 are probably your best bet.

• edited September 2018

you probably don't want to spend a fortune on a (proper) preamp, so this thing should help you out for about 20 bucks:
    http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/harleybenton/microstomp/ratedboost#pictures
    In a general context -30dB (peaks) isn't a problem with good conversion.

Dunno the iRigs quality, but my acoustic guitar recordings usually are on a similiar low level. Most audio editing apps have an 'add gain' feature which allow to increase the signal. If the amount is limited (say to 6 or 10dB) then simply repeat a couple of times.
    It's NOT like enlarging photos (where you loose resolution), but simply a bitshifting process. 24 dB of additional gain are a 'loss' of 4 bits, which still leaves 20 'usable' bits - more than enough. (1 bit represents 6dB of loudness)

• But simple gain adjustments boost the recording's noise floor as well. So, it depends on how much noise is in that signal. Good low-noise preamps add more gain than noise. I use one whenever I take the signal from an underpowered pickup--even under-powered electric guitar pickups.

• That's why I suggested the cheapo pedal - the IK preamp is likely to be adjusted to typical guitar pickups (which deliver more level than the piezo device of the Uke).

• edited September 2018

Just to attempt the lowest cost solution. Run the Uke signal through Amazing Noises "Limiter - Audio Processor" for $3.

It worked on a Piano sample that has incorrect volume settings in a SFZ I imported into Auria Pro. The Piano got louder and did not change "coloring" (i.e. add distortion or noise).

It also has controls to add (Tube) Saturation to the input and sweeten the Uke's sound.

It also has presets to add extreme distortion for "Extreme Metal Hawaiian" or "Hipster Fuzz Uke".

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/limiter-audio-processor/id945375756?mt=8

The raised noise floor will simulate classic vinyl if you push it.
    $3 for so much control is worth a shot while you wait for product to arrive.

If it works please let us know. You could also go for the best compressor and see how it manages this challenge for extra $'s.