Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Imagine if ios devices had a simple audio in jack.

This would be too good (and too simple) to be true.

• Devices in series: sound gerator to fx, to recorder.

No need for clunky audio routing: all apps working with any other apps.

Tech giants sucks.

Let me dream of an alternate reality, or is there any audio interface the size of a 1/8 jack that allow device charging...?

Comments

• I'd rather imagine that the next iPad had an audio out jack. Alas it looks like it does not :(

• @Philippe said:

Tech giants sucks.

Let me dream of an alternate reality, or is there any audio interface the size of a 1/8 jack that allow device charging...?

In fact the jack has input mic and stereo output...

So I supose you want to mean stereo input but for mono fx it’s doable ATM (for models with mic/headphone connector of course...)

• I tried one of these but it didn’t work for some obscur reason. Perhaps bad luck with a defective ebay china dongle. I might give it a try again.

Most of the fun I had latelly was with pocket operators or volcas into monotron to op-1 to field recorder. Quite satisfiing.
    Ios devices could be close with a pocket midi knob / button case and and audio in jack (that I have to invent).

• edited September 2018

Probably it didn’t worked for lacking of some resistance...

So the most obvious and cheap solution are irig cables.

@Philippe said:
    Ios devices could be close with a pocket midi knob / button case and and audio in jack (that I have to invent).

Explain it further since there are also korg and roland little gadgets for lightning maybe as solution...

Roland go:mixer/pro and korg plugkey, to be exact...

• what I would love it to be able
    to play a synth in the ipad, send it out, and through some guitar pedals and then record that audio back into the ipad

• @Philippe said:

Tech giants sucks.

tascam made a 30 pin line in interface with an 1/8 stereo input, I have the mic that they made at the same time and it was able to charge at same time, so I bet the line version also would. The mic works with a 30 pin to lightning adapter. Not quite as easy as a built in jack, but considering apple killed off the headphone jack I don't imagine a proper input is coming anytime soon....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @eross said:
    what I would love it to be able
    to play a synth in the ipad, send it out, and through some guitar pedals and then record that audio back into the ipad

In mono and without monitoring final stage maybe it could work with some AUM dabbling...

• I’ve got one of these stashed away somewhere:
    http://www.tascam.eu/en/ixz.html
    I rarely use it but it’s handy to know I have it.

• Built-in audio input in devices not manufactured for a pro-audio audience aren't pro-quality. iDevices have a mono audio in. But they aren't as good as the audio input devices made expressly for high-quality recording. It would make no sense for manufacturers to build in the quality of audio input that most of us would want.

• Pro name, Pro price, entry features, Profits, problem in satisfaction department.

• edited September 2018

@eross said:

Yamaha AG-06 will do this, just connect your iPad to 3/4 or 5/6 and return the processed signal into channel 1 & 2, with channels 1&2 selected as output and only these will travel down the USB cable back into your iOS device. Just a pity that the great onboard reverb can't be recorded in this mode. There are 3 different audio interface setups that can be switched between on the mixer, really versatile device!

• @eross said:

I started a topic on this last week

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/540225#Comment_540225

• edited September 2018

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@eross said:

Yamaha AG-06 will do this, just connect your iPad to 3/4 or 5/6 and return the processed signal into channel 1 & 2, with channels 1&2 selected as output and only these will travel down the USB cable back into your iOS device. Just a pity that the great onboard reverb can't be recorded in this mode. There are 3 different audio interface setups that can be switched between on the mixer, really versatile device!

really? interesting? so this will take the signals out of the ipad and convert it to instrument level and correct impedance, so it can go
    through some of my guitar pedals, and then it goes back into the ipad via usb channels 1/2? if so, that sounds brilliant

• edited September 2018

@eross said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

@eross said:

really? interesting? so this will take the signals out of the ipad and convert it to instrument level and correct impedance, so it can go
    through some of my guitar pedals, and then it goes back into the ipad via usb channels 1/2? if so, that sounds brilliant

I haven't used guitar pedals very often so can't say anything about impedance. There is a separate monitor output with independent volume so I can't imagine this would be an issue. I found one used for half the retail price so I snapped it up without researching. Was planning to replace it with a "better" one but have been very pleasantly surprised at the performance on iOS and windows so am planning on getting a second one when finances improve.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@eross said:

tthat would be dope!

• @eross said:

The mixer FX loop will most likely be line level, but as @BlueGreenSpiral says, you can use the output level if available. Lots of pedals are surprisingly flexible in the inputs they accept. Probably to allow for input from very loud pedals.