Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad 2 unable to connect to MIDI network (OS X)?

I had been using my iPhone 7 (iOS 11.4.1) connected to my MacBook Pro (15", 2017, OS 10.12.6) via MIDImittr in USB mode and I had created a MIDI network in 'Audio MIDI Setup' app where all was working well. I found an iPad 2 (iOS 9.3.5) in a drawer that wasn't getting used and thought I would try and utilize the extra screen real estate but the iPad is having trouble connecting to the MIDI network. The iPad appears in the Audio MIDI Setup's "Directory" and is selectable, but when I click "connect" I get the following message:

"fe80::44c:3a46:5d0c:763:5004 didn't respond to the connection request. Check the address and port, and any firewall or router settings. (19:52:59)"

Port 5004 is the same port I was using with my iPhone. I'm not sure what they mean by "address" and I don't know where to look for "firewall and router settings"?

I Anyone here get this message before? Any ideas how to address it? Maybe the iPad 2's iOS isn't able to connect to a MIDI network?

Comments

• dunno details from own experience, but this paper from 2016 may be a hint (that's an IP v6 adress in your error message)
    https://developer.apple.com/support/ipv6/

• @Telefunky Thanks for the info! Perhaps the iPad version of Quantum is not IP v6 compatible? That is the only difference, app wise from my previous iPhone setup, which was working without issue. I will look into this...

• @morbank said:
    @Telefunky Thanks for the info! Perhaps the iPad version of Quantum is not IP v6 compatible? That is the only difference, app wise from my previous iPhone setup, which was working without issue. I will look into this...

You mention Quantum here - if referring to the app of same name, the Network Session capability has to be enabled from the iPad general app Settings. Midi Network Session should work back to iOS 4.2. The Network Session uses 2 ports, 5004 and 5005 (or whatever you set the port to, always using the next port up as well, one for control data, the other for the Midi payload. IPv4 and ipv6 should both work... if it’s 1st time with the new (old) iPad, may need to do the “trust device” via connecting to iTunes. I did a post a while back digging into Network Sessions a bit, might be worth a look. GL! https://aud-ios.com/2018/03/23/the-macos-midi-network-session-guide/

• @Aud_iOS

Thanks for the detailed information. Yes, I am referring to the Quantum Sequencer app and yes, I do have the Network Session enabled on the settings page. But now that you mention it, I never did get a "Trust this device" message when I first plugged in the iPad to my MacBook, which is odd...