Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How would we go about doing community songs? Could we use git or something?

edited September 2018 in Support and Feedback

Sorry, wrong category

Comments

• I’d be up for a git based collaboration

• Me too, but if it is too geeky it scares people away, and that kinda defeats the purpose...
    Isn’t there something simpler for music nowadays? There were lots of promissing ones last time I checked, but that was a few years ago...

• I'd be down for a git collaboration but I'm not sure about integration with ios.

I think Splice is considered the hotness but also think it's desktop only. https://splice.com/features/studio

• There’s steingbergs vst go available on iOS- but not sure how well it works personally

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Maybe it could work like that:
    1. Agree on bpm and key
    2. Collaborators produce parts in that bpm and key
    3. Collect the parts via Dropbox and assemble them to a finished piece

• I wouldn’t be up for a time based collab but I’d be more than up for having a communal BM3 project uploaded on GitHub that people are free to ‘branch’ (which might just be downloading to their local device) off and mess with, then we could have some consensus on what elements will be ‘merged’ (which may just be a manual edit and force push) back to master. I’ve never used it for this purpose and it might take some figuring out to get a working. Any ‘dependency’ issues could be avoided by bouncing to audio and removing any third party IAA/AU apps before committing.

I didn’t read this whole article and I don’t know if this functionality in the Git iOS app is free (app is free to install but has IAPs) but it seems that it’s possible to commit directly from the iOS files app:
    https://www.macstories.net/ios/ios-11s-streamlined-yet-extensible-file-management/

It does seem far fetched, but I’d be up for trying it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’m happy to hear you guys are enthusiastic about it, but this raises so many questions... For starters, we would need to be able to “compile” the song, so either we agree on the apps and share files so each person has a working copy of the project, or we share stems (which seems easier, but doesn’t allow further tweaking from other collaborators)

What if we start simple, for example with 120bpm 8 bar loops? Each contributor could upload a trimmed audio loop, or maybe even if it’s a popular app we probably all own, the midi+preset+any instructions needed to replicate the sound.
    Then anyone of us could pick a few sounds and fork them into a song, that other people could add to, and so on.

I’m not sure how this could scale into full songs, but I think the only way for that to work would be for each of us to have a (manually) synchronized project in our ipads, and all agree on a DAW or apps we all own

• I've always thought Gadget would be great for this - it's would be quite easy and quick to share a project (as long as no imported samples). One person starts with a drum beat in London- next person adds a bass line in Phoenix - next person adds a synth part with Wolfsburg and so on. No downloading megabytes of wav audio, no setting up midi or anything fancy involved... Just touch the cloud icon on the name of the gadget project to share to cloud, import that file into files or audioshare and share it to dropbox.

• @OscarSouth yeah a community BM3 project could be great. Or xequencer+AB3+AUM combo with some AU synths we all own

• @Dawdles I like the “add to the mix and share forward” idea,, but we must also share individual stems, otherwise the next person can’t fit into the mix.

But this seems like the way to start

• @pedro said:
    @OscarSouth yeah a community BM3 project could be great. Or xequencer+AB3+AUM combo with some AU synths we all own

I think the latter there would be trouble, because its quite a specific combination of apps (all of which come with a moderate price tag) and lots of people won't own them all together (or will own different IAPs for Xequencer etc.)

I'm guessing that most people here own BM3 since it was free at one point and everyone probably grabbed it at that point. No idea how easy it is to export a whole project to Files and commit, but Git would be awesome if that was a possible workflow. It'd keep historical records of every step on the way and people could branch it off to collaborate in 'subsets' with specific AU instruments and such like, then bounce to audio before they merge it into the master branch.

This is all just brainstorming -- no idea on the realism of this.

Maybe it could even just be done through file sharing with Audioshare? On my Linux machine I can drag and drop into Audioshare's iTunes sharing folder using the basic file browser (I'm guessing that also works on Windows and Mac?) which makes it very quick and easy to move files of any kind onto and off the device with that app as a proxy. Extra steps of course though and it might end up actually being more interesting to brainstorm ideas for collaborating with Git than actually going to the effort of doing it, haha.

• @Halftone I’d be fine with gadget provided I don’t have to buy any more modules :)

@OscarSouth we could create a Dropbox shared folder. But I’m not sure of the realism of this either :)

• Dropbox is a more logical and practical choice with none of the novelty.

• Songtree - Music Maker by Songtree S.r.l.???

• @NoiseHorse said:
    Songtree - Music Maker by Songtree S.r.l.???

Seconding SongTree as well, its made just for this.

I poked around the app before but didn't contribute, downloaded it again tonight and it seems much more simplified. I don't see the cool tree structure any more but it should still work.

Made an account and uploaded a simple tabla beat that could be taken in many different directions if anyone wants to build on it.
    http://songtr.ee/song/761841/Manphibian/Manphibian-Tabla-Drum-Loop

• I hear about this, gonna give it a try, thanks @NoiseHorse @1nsomniak

• edited September 2018

@1nsomniak that’s a cool tabla rhythm, I wouldn’t mind throwing in a beat and bassline :)
    I tried the songtree thing for minute, all I wanted was to d/l your file to mangle on my ipad, but it seems I can’t... I installed the app, is there a way to open your file in audioshare or something, so I can edit it before re-uploading my overdub?

• @pedro said:
    @1nsomniak that’s a cool tabla rhythm, I wouldn’t mind throwing in a beat and bassline :)
    I tried the songtree thing for minute, all I wanted was to d/l your file to mangle on my ipad, but it seems I can’t... I installed the app, is there a way to open your file in audioshare or something, so I can edit it before re-uploading my overdub?

Yes, click that icon to "record over this song"
    Then choose "pro recorder" to get to their DAW like screen
    Press and HOLD on the waveform and more options will come up where you can "open in..." Audioshare