Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is the iPad sound card/circuitry "good"?

When I was doing my DAW thing on my windows pcs, the overwhelming sentiment was to upgrade the pc's sound card because the pre-installed sound card was a piece of crap. I know there's no way to upgrade the iPad/iPhone's sound card or bypass it but is it professional grade? I certainly don't have the ears or expertise to tell. From what I see in this forum, some people are making real cds on the iPad/iPhone. I say "real" to differentiate between them and what I do while sitting on the couch.

Comments

• cheesesteak said:

I know there's no way to upgrade the iPad/iPhone's sound card or bypass it but is it professional grade?

That's not correct. You can connect any class compliant professional USB audio interface to the iPad and use that instead. But the built in sound card is good enough for most things.

• I'm no expert, but one small issue I've noticed is the headphone jack. While things do sound great using the 3.5 mm headphone jack on an iPad 2, they sound absolutely stunning when I listen on the same headphones thru the Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. So that is one factor where an "upgrade" is possible and useful.

Overall, I think the circuitry is sufficient for literally anything you would want to do in audio, especially since you can expand the I/O with any pro USB interface. Your real limits are the software, CPU, RAM, and the cost of a USB class-compliant audio interface.

• The headphone jack is so so on my Air, noticeable difference in sound quality using that compared to say a real audio interface connected via USB. No problems at all using my Lynx Hilo with the Air though :)