PSA: Don't update to iOS 12.4 if you use apps in AB output slot or IAA apps that use the mic.
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34030/urgent-psa-hold-off-updating-to-ios-12-4-if-you-use-apps-in-output-slot-in-audiobus

LOGIC iOS RUMOURS!/ NEW USB-C RUMOUR + Why JOBS did not let his kids use iPad!

1356715

Comments

  • @brambos said:

    @Dawdles said:

    @brambos said:
    Why would it be a "half step" if it's not 100% identical to Desktop Logic? An iPad != Desktop, so why would the software need to be identical to be considered good enough? The use cases are different, so the software should also be tailored to the specific contexts of a mobile platform.

    If you can't work with anything less than a full desktop experience... get a laptop. B)

    Can work with a rubber band and a shoe box ;) Doesn’t change the fact that Cubasis is a toy

    Claiming something is a "toy" as a derogatory word is so Gearslutz 2005.

    Agree :)
    Toys are more serious than ever.

    btw what I'm really missing is toy instrument AUv3s. We got nearly everything on iOS but still missing those simple acoustic but also electronic toys.

  • @lukesleepwalker. Fair enough. Let's hear a better phrase from you. Does it really matter? How about ice cream... that's kind of worn out, too. In Turkish its dondurma... mmm sounds much sexier!😘

  • oh yeah, I forgot about that little mystery app Dougwas talking about a while back. if this isn’t it, I wonder how
    close the release
    is? and what is it? any clues?

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @lukesleepwalker said:

    @mrcanister said:
    what i'd really like to see is a complete ban on...
    GAME CHANGER.

    Thank you. It needed to be said.

      1. Game changer is dropped so often it seems to have lost its meaning. When I look back I don’t see anything that has changed any games whatsoever other than audiobus at the onset and AU and even AU isn’t a game changer, as opposed to a nice convenience.
  • We need some real links fast!

  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oh, hit close to my trigger... any 'daw' that won't let you re-order FX... that just... ...I mean... are we doing this or not?

  • para-dime, maybe, but still grandiose. telepathic music making would be, for sure.
    in the mean time, the good ole ten digits should see us thru.
    (although, a stable midi clock out of cubasis would definitely prompt an underpants change from me)

  • @BiancaNeve said:

    @ricksteruk said:

    @BiancaNeve said:
    And there is an AU that lets you send midi out of GB - though I forget it’s name atm.

    Really? That would be very useful. Do let me know if you remember :smiley:

    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/routemidi/id1347099452?mt=8

    Thank you :smiley: That looks just the ticket!

  • @Dawdles said:

    @hansjbs said:

    @brambos said:
    Nope, not what I said. I said that if you need every feature you have on desktop, you won't ever get it on iOS. Comparing the two and complaining about "what's missing" is a fallacy, because it implies that iOS moves towards becoming identical to desktop. It's not. It is its own thing.

    Hence, if you need the desktop experience in order to make music, you'll only find it on a desktop/laptop. iOS is moving in a different/parallel direction, but it's not converging. It can't, because so many things about how/where/when/why we use it are fundamentally different.

    I agree. I don't get why some feel like the ios apps should be exactly like their desktop counter part. The whole beauty of IOS is how different it is from desktop.

    Missing the point. Say there are two identical daws, except one has take lanes and user fx chains, one doesn’t. The one without isn’t ‘different’, it’s just worse..

    Which would you prefer came in to existence, given the choice?

    It’s not even worth arguing about...

    Oh, come on, man, just own it! You are definitely an audiosnob, and that's fine. We need you here. But you absolutely called Cubasis a toy — then humble-bragged about your "typical day in the life" of, "[s]etting up hardware chains, mixing 60+ tracks most projects, repeatedly recutting and comping, reamping,..." etc. That's cool. You're awesome. You know your shit. Your opinion carries weight.

    It's cool. We're good.
    And the reason it pisses people off is that you're right. A lot of iOS is not ready for the big leagues.

  • @Universe. Love this little etymological sidebar. Ok , it is overused. As I said, paradigm shift is over the hill, too. But the concept is valid. If Apple commits to a big upgrade app that makes iOS accepted by a much larger audience then the future and course of iOS is possibly insured as opposed to the many who opine iOS has hit a wall, reached a peak, uncared for by Apple, a losing proposition for devs and will never surpass or be able to even compete with desktop. Was desktop a paradigm shift? Is a complete DAW on iOS like Reason or Logic as @dawdles suggests a game changer? Of course it is. Who gives a f$&%#k what you call it? What is really so irksome about an overused phrase when nothing better has come along yet. It does not lack meaning. You know exactly what is intended... paradigm shift!! ios accepted by a wide audience as a valid music creation platform. How about an overused emoji😃? I don't hear anyone complaining about that little freakish habit.
    🚻🚮☪️✡️✝️.... I'm sick of these, too. Have lost all meaning for me.

  • wimwim
    edited September 2018

    @ExAsperis99 said:
    And the reason it pisses people off is that you're right. A lot of iOS is not ready for the big leagues.

    Or maybe for those of us who have fully dumped desktops for music in favor of iOS, it can feel like implying that we're just amateurs not ready for the big leagues. Personally I'm comfortable enough in my own skin that someting like that doesn't cause self-doubt, but many musicians are a touchy breed.

  • edited September 2018

    @LinearLineman ha I seem to have touched a nerve of some kind ? Didn’t mean to. But TO ME gamechanger implies something much more than being discussed here. We already have auria pro. That’s a fully functional and deep desktop come to iOS. So the software is nothing new. The game changer was the fact that we could have this software on an even more portable scale with the iPad and a touch screen, so with new methods of interaction and creativity. That already happened when the iPad was invented. And the previous as you call it paradigm shift was the iPhone. And the next will likely be Apple AR glasses.

  • edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @brambos said:

    An iPad != Desktop …

    Actually, I wouldn’t agree that they’re equal or equivalent. The fact that I can’t freely move something made in one app into any other app that uses the same type of thing – on the same machine – makes iOS far inferior to a laptop OS unless you stick to only using one app, like angry birds or something. I’m increasingly discovering that it wasn’t just Gadget audio into Auria Pro that can’t be done, there’s a dismaying array of apps that can’t inter operate with media created in another app on the same machine, when they clearly should be able to. If it is audio, any app capable of using audio must be able to accept audio freely and easily. If it is midi, the same. If it is pixel graphics, there’s no excuse for any graphics app to be able to read any others work. If it is vector graphics, they need to get their act together to allow inter operation, after all, there’s only a few ways to describe vector art, so it shouldn’t be impossible to interchange accurately. I expect any app that works with a certain type of work to be able to freely take it from any other app or give to any other app, without making it difficult to pass it on to another app. Going outside the iOS machine – halfway round the world through an independent proprietary cloud system – is unacceptable. It must work in an easy and not frustrating way. A laptop or desktop doesn’t have stupid arbitrary limitations like that, so an iPad mustn’t either. Hence, I disagree.

  • @u0421793 said:

    @brambos said:

    An iPad != Desktop …

    Actually, I wouldn’t agree that they’re equal or equivalent. The fact that I can’t freely move something made in one app into any other app that uses the same type of thing – on the same machine – makes iOS far inferior to a laptop OS unless you stick to only using one app, like angry birds or something. I’m increasingly discovering that it wasn’t just Gadget audio into Auria Pro that can’t be done, there’s a dismaying array of apps that can’t inter operate with media created in another app on the same machine, when they clearly should be able to. If it is audio, any app capable of using audio must be able to accept audio freely and easily. If it is midi, the same. If it is pixel graphics, there’s no excuse for any graphics app to be able to read any others work. If it is vector graphics, they need to get their act together to allow inter operation, after all, there’s only a few ways to describe vector art, so it shouldn’t be impossible to interchange accurately. I expect any app that works with a certain type of work to be able to freely take it from any other app or give to any other app, without making it difficult to pass it on to another app. Going outside the iOS machine – halfway round the world through an independent proprietary cloud system – is unacceptable. It must work in an easy and not frustrating way. A laptop or desktop doesn’t have stupid arbitrary limitations like that, so an iPad mustn’t either. Hence, I disagree.

    We agree. “!=“ means “is not equal to” :)

  • edited September 2018

    you all are too much fixed on LPX iOS... it wouldn't make much sense in Apple portfolio in my opinion. Upgraded GB iOS version very likely, LPX i'm in doubt...

    The "THING" which was Doug reffering can be anything from this list :

    • Beatmaker 3 iPhone version
    • Nanostudio 2
    • Mini DAW which @giku_beepstreet mentioned he is working on long time ago
    • Ableton iOS
    • Some massive Cubasis update
    • Some massive Gadget update with re-thinked linear sequencer
    • something completely different like Serum, Massive, Sylent or other iconic desktop synth ported to iOS

    Or (most probably) something what is nobody expecting..

    Don't get too fixed to LPX iOS instead there is high chance you'll ne dissapointed at the end ;-)

  • Maybe Logic Compact?...... how does that sound to you?😛

  • "Game changers" on iOS included....

    -Xewton Music Studio/FL Studio Mobile 1 and 2 (both developed by Xewton back when music creation on an iPhone wasn't much of a thing and the iPad 1 wasn't even released yet)
    -Nanostudio
    -Garageband
    -ReBirth/Thor
    -Audiobus
    -Audioshare
    -Auria
    -Cubasis
    -Korg Gadget
    -Interapp Audio
    -AUM
    -iOS 10 (Audio Units)

    (Did I miss any?)

    We really haven't had any new game changers since the introduction of Audio Units as far as I recall. Not even Auxy as much as I love the app. Maybe Pro-Q2 could be considered a game changer, I don't know, don't care. I think Nanostudio 2 will be somewhat of the next game changer with how incredibly flexible Obsidian seems to be.

    However, something massive like Logic or Reason on the iPad Pro, the full versions mind you, could definitely be the next big game changers. Or even a subscription-based AU collection like Komplete (download and use only what you need), Roland Cloud, etc. (Hopefully it's RC or Komplete.)

  • @robosardine said:
    Maybe Logic Compact?...... how does that sound to you?😛

    You mean garage band ?

  • @dendy said:
    you all are too much fixed on LPX iOS... it wouldn't make much sense in Apple portfolio in my opinion. Upgraded GB iOS version very likely, LPX i'm in doubt...

    The "THING" which was Doug reffering can be anything from this list :

    • Beatmaker 3 iPhone version
    • Nanostudio 2
    • Mini DAW which @giku_beepstreet mentioned he is working on long time ago
    • Ableton iOS
    • Some massive Cubasis update
    • Some massive Gadget update with re-thinked linear sequencer
    • something completely different like Serum, Massive, Sylent or other iconic desktop synth ported to iOS

    Or (most probably) something what is nobody expecting..

    Don't get too fixed to LPX iOS instead there is high chance you'll ne dissapointed at the end ;-)

    I would have imagined the thing has already been release a while ago.

  • edited September 2018

    any version of Logic woud make GB virtually obsolete. I don't think after years of developement Apple throws to trash GB by creating it's direct competitor. I may be wrong but i think GB is in Apple portfolio of apps "iPad thing", LPX is "Mac thing"... period

    If i should bet, i bet for GB update revealed at keynote (true mixer, editabke automation, more complex sequencer), and i also bet thing Doug is reffering is completely unrelated to Apple and it will be product of some small company, or single developer..

    lets see

  • @wim said:

    @ExAsperis99 said:
    And the reason it pisses people off is that you're right. A lot of iOS is not ready for the big leagues.

    Or maybe for those of us who have fully dumped desktops for music in favor of iOS, it feels like implying that we're not ready for the big leagues. Personally I'm comfortable enough in my own skin that a comment like that doesn't cause self-doubt, but most musicians are a touchy breed.

    That says it all as far as I am concerned. Humans are a touchy breed. All the difficulties of life to deal with... then we come here and talk about something that might be considered abstract as compared to cancer, poverty and a hell of a lot more that hits us before we are a grease spot on the pages of history. Perspective, gentlemen and ladies.

    I think everyone would agree that iOS isn't quite there. It doesn't stop anyone from pushing the boundaries of what is possible. There are those (classical music forums) that will never accept desktop as a valid platform for creating "serious" music. One day these "experts" will not be able to distinguish between a virtual violin virtuoso performance and the "real" thing. If iOS does not get derailed by lack of interest from Apple I believe it will equal desktop and present new and unexpected modalities.
    If Apple gives us a big surprise on the 12th along with the new iPad Pro 512 it will be a g#%€e ch%#?!£er. Just my opinion.

  • @dendy said:
    any version of Logic woud make GB virtually obsolete. I don't think after years of developement Apple throws to trash GB by creating it's direct competitor. I may be wrong but i think GB is in Apple portfolio of apps "iPad thing", LPX is Mac thing...

    Isn't GarageBand free? If so then that's not competition, it's up-sell.

  • @wim said:

    @dendy said:
    any version of Logic woud make GB virtually obsolete. I don't think after years of developement Apple throws to trash GB by creating it's direct competitor. I may be wrong but i think GB is in Apple portfolio of apps "iPad thing", LPX is Mac thing...

    Isn't GarageBand free? If so then that's not competition, it's up-sell.

    Apple does get 30% of the profit from any developer, competitor or not. In fact, from a Return on Investment perspective, they probably make more profit from software developed by others than they do from their own.

  • No need for an iPad Pro to run Reason or Logic Pro on an iPad. Even today's "low-cost" iPad has more horsepower than the Mac G4 or Intel P3 that were running Logic Pro 9 or Reason 5 quite well.
    I guess it's only a matter of time until one of the larger companies with enough development manpower smells new business and decides to adapt their DAW or a sensibly reduced but still very capable version of it to iOS.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    🚻🚮☪️✡️✝️.... I'm sick of these, too. Have lost all meaning for me.

    haha! touche. me too. i shake your cyber hand.
    i've no idea what logic is like, always been a windows man. but you're right, it might be a green light for other development-all rumours at the moment. it does seems to be more to do with people's preferences for how to get things to done tho. plenty of great apps already for me.

  • @universe... no nerve hitting. Just having some fun on a Tuesday night. The thread is nearing 2k in five hours. I believe I am the one who touched a nerve,

    But I can't seem to get my point across. The new high jump record ( better than GC?) will be a demonstration that Apple is committing to the iOS platform and it is not something that will go the way of their affiliate program when it is no longer needed. If a trillion dollar company says that iOS music is here to stay and not just as an afficienado's niche that would be a ga.... something unexpected and you can bet that there will be big improvements to come in hardware and software. But hey, I am just a geezer jazz player having some fun with my friends on this unique forum and an iPad4. I know nothing except how to beat the bushes,

Sign In or Register to comment.