Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LOGIC iOS RUMOURS!/ NEW USB-C RUMOUR + Why JOBS did not let his kids use iPad!

Comments

• And there is an AU that lets you send midi out of GB - though I forget it’s name atm.

• edited September 2018

@BiancaNeve said:
    And there is an AU that lets you send midi out of GB - though I forget it’s name atm.

Really? That would be very useful. Do let me know if you remember :smiley:

• @ricksteruk said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    And there is an AU that lets you send midi out of GB - though I forget it’s name atm.

apeMatrix.

• edited September 2018

@ricksteruk said:

@BiancaNeve said:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/routemidi/id1347099452?mt=8

• @mannix said:
    Weird thing is that they remove the 3.5mm plug. Which they kept on the Macbook Pro with the argument that the 3.5mm input is Pro.

On the other hand that Doug @thesoundtestroom is not replying to the possible introduction of Logic Pro next week, looks like proof that it is true, else he could of course simply deny :)

Yeah, where is Doug? Must be some truth to it...👹

Won’t matter much to me without Ableton Link...

• edited September 2018

Why would it be a "half step" if it's not 100% identical to Desktop Logic? That assumes that being identical to the desktop Logic is somehow the end goal?

An iPad != Desktop, so why would the software need to be identical to be considered good enough? The use cases are different, so the software should also be tailored to the specific contexts of a mobile platform. I for one am happy that Cubasis is not as huge as its desktop counterpart. It would be hell to use on a small touchscreen and take all the fun and speed out of using it.

If you can't work with anything less than a full desktop experience... get a laptop. B)

• @brambos said:
    Why would it be a "half step" if it's not 100% identical to Desktop Logic? An iPad != Desktop, so why would the software need to be identical to be considered good enough? The use cases are different, so the software should also be tailored to the specific contexts of a mobile platform.

If you can't work with anything less than a full desktop experience... get a laptop. B)

Amen!

• @brambos said:
    Why would it be a "half step" if it's not 100% identical to Desktop Logic? An iPad != Desktop, so why would the software need to be identical to be considered good enough? The use cases are different, so the software should also be tailored to the specific contexts of a mobile platform.

I have the faint impression that indeed more and more people actually want to replace their laptops by iPads completely. I wouldn't do that in the next few years personally, but it's undeniable that desktop OS and iOS are getting closer and not everybody needs full-fledged applications. People are already doing full video productions on the iPad for example, something nobody thought about on iPad 1 after its release.

• I’d be very surprised if apple reached out to Doug re testing a new daw. Which leaves me to wonder what actually is the game changer that he referred to.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

@brambos said:

Can work with a rubber band and a shoe box ;) Doesn’t change the fact that Cubasis is a toy

Claiming something is a "toy" as a derogatory word is so Gearslutz 2005.

• I’ve never really got on with Logic, and ended up buying and using Reason as my main DAW.

Doubt I’d bother with a paid iOS version, feel like I’ve moved on from Logic and GB.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @brambos said:

Agreed, most of the time it's not the tools but the end-user that is responsible for the result...
    But then again I'm 'old school' and not someone who expects instant gratification with minimal effort :)
    (But I do get annoyed when stuff I record is 'hidden' from me to further refine it or fix errors without having to re-record everything but hey, that was the way it worked when I got started so all advances are plusses).

And well, the 100% control over details and parameters is 'Tracker Damage' and that's something I guess I'll have to live with...
    ...and thankfully we do have Sunvox :D

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

@LinearLineman said:
    The new iPad Pro thread has revealed possible iOS versions of Logic and Final Cut Pro. Wow! Dang! And Gee whillikers!! That would be so intense. The only other clue I have is Doug's @thesoundtestroom NDA that he has beta tested something really big.
    I am not a desktop person but I checked out Logic for the first time. It does seem awesome for taking the leap to professional production... and now, possibly on a 4 gig iPad? That should be worth a few sage remarks here.

More importantly ( if something could be more important to iOS producers), would it mean that Apple is boosting its commitment to iOS as a viable music making platform? It would reverse a lot of people's opinions re the future. Perhaps just the thing for a dramatic user shift. Your thoughts, and, again, this seems perfectly speculative at least till September 12.

Maybe, Apple saw SynthMaster One ported from desktop into an iOS app AS-IS and got inspired to port their desktop apps? :smiley:

How about releasing their apps on Windows when Microsoft ported their apps to Mac ages ago and crushing it?? Think Apple...

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, it is interesting that the price of a new Pro and Mac Air are coming closer and closer. I have no experience of desktop production, but I might like to try it @AudioGus. So if I am Apple's mark I am the youngest geriatric in town. If the difference is $500 or so I might just swing that way... but the fun factor seems to disappear rather quickly.

Love dose liddle mousies
    Mousies what I lub to eat.
    Bite dey liddle heads off
    Nibble on dey tiny feet!

Gary Larsen, I think.

Just (started) importing those Model 15 patches from Dropbox. Seven patches, seven operations to import each one - using IOS. That's 49 operations, compared to one (drag and drop) using a mouse.
    If Apple really want IOS to replace the desktop they still have a way to go.

• @Dawdles said:

@Samu said:

@brambos said:

Agreed, most of the time it's not the tools but the end-user that is responsible for the result...
    But then again I'm 'old school' and not someone who expects instant gratification with minimal effort :)
    (But I do get annoyed when stuff I record is 'hidden' from me to further refine it or fix errors without having to re-record everything but hey, that was the way it worked when I got started so all advances are plusses).

And well, the 100% control over details and parameters is 'Tracker Damage' and that's something I guess I'll have to live with...
    ...and thankfully we do have Sunvox :D

I think y’all missed the word ‘compared’. ‘Cubasis is a toy COMPARED to Cubase’. I never said Cubasis is a toy. You’re both judging/arguing against an invented viewpoint :/

Typical day in the life - Setting up hardware chains, mixing 60+ tracks most projects, repeatedly recutting and comping, reamping, revising lyrics, continuously switching tons of phrasing etc across tracks to match tweaks to one part, Making multiple track mixes work together as an Lp, etc etc etc.... I think it’s kinda judgemental to assume that someone seeking a daw that makes life as easy/functional as possible is looking for ‘instant gratification with minimal effort’....

Well, you did compare it to a shoebox and a rubber band. Which in the hands of a Mossad agent is a weapon.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

@MobileMusic said:

@mannix said:
    Weird thing is that they remove the 3.5mm plug. Which they kept on the Macbook Pro with the argument that the 3.5mm input is Pro

For removing headphone jack in iPhone it was to make it waterproof and also sell more EarPods. iPad doesn’t need to be waterproof like the mobile iPhone and in this case it is only to sell more EarPods.

Well, an iPad is considerably more difficult to drop in the toilet.

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well, interesting thread so far.... but, my second question:

There is so much opinion that Apple doesn't care much about the iOS music niche. If they were to make a significant introduction at this point along with the new iPad Pro would they be tacitly giving a thumbs up to their commitment to the growth of the iOS platform?

• @Dawdles said:

Typical day in the life - Setting up hardware chains, mixing 60+ tracks most projects, repeatedly recutting and comping, reamping, revising lyrics, continuously switching tons of phrasing etc across tracks to match tweaks to one part, Making multiple track mixes work together as an Lp, etc etc etc.... I think it’s kinda judgemental to assume that someone seeking a daw that makes life as easy/functional as possible is looking for ‘instant gratification with minimal effort’....

Well, you did compare it to a shoebox and a rubber band. Which in the hands of a Mossad agent is a weapon.

Nah, I said I could work with a rubber band and a shoebox. After brambos implied I needed a laptop to make music... I never compared cubasis to that. Some weird lost in translation shit happening!

Nope, not what I said. I said that if you need every feature you have on desktop, you won't ever get it on iOS. Comparing the two and complaining about "what's missing" is a fallacy, because it implies that iOS moves towards becoming identical to desktop. It's not. It is its own thing.

Hence, if you need the desktop experience in order to make music, you'll only find it on a desktop/laptop. iOS is moving in a different/parallel direction, but it's not converging. It can't, because so many things about how/where/when/why we use it are fundamentally different.

• what i'd really like to see is a complete ban on...
    GAME CHANGER.

• edited September 2018

@wim said:

@MobileMusic said:

@mannix said:
    Weird thing is that they remove the 3.5mm plug. Which they kept on the Macbook Pro with the argument that the 3.5mm input is Pro

For removing headphone jack in iPhone it was to make it waterproof and also sell more EarPods. iPad doesn’t need to be waterproof like the mobile iPhone and in this case it is purely to sell more EarPods.

Well, an iPad is considerably more difficult to drop in the toilet.

Exactly - unless someone is sitting on the toilet with an iPad. EEEEWW!!!

Maybe, Apple would remove the jack from Macs too in future to sell more EarPods :neutral:

The thing is - the age-old headphone works like a treat and should have been retained on all devices. There is absolutely no reason to have the latest Bluetooth headphones technology.

• @ricksteruk said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Midiflow

• @mrcanister. Would you prefer "paradigm shift" or how bout "noblesse oblige"? That fits Apple and takes us back to the 18th century.

• LPX on iPad would be cool, but Apple always tries to bring out third parties to talk about how their apps depend on the new hardware.

I may have misunderstood, but I thought that Doug’s NDA was from Propellerheads? In that case, I would LOVE to see Mattias and Hanna take the stage next week...

Besides, LPX is a more polished editing and production environment overall but Reason’s instruments and effects really take the cake.

• Still no Doug showing up here... the plot thickens :)

• @mrcanister said:
    what i'd really like to see is a complete ban on...
    GAME CHANGER.

Thank you. It needed to be said.

• @brambos said:
    Nope, not what I said. I said that if you need every feature you have on desktop, you won't ever get it on iOS. Comparing the two and complaining about "what's missing" is a fallacy, because it implies that iOS moves towards becoming identical to desktop. It's not. It is its own thing.

Hence, if you need the desktop experience in order to make music, you'll only find it on a desktop/laptop. iOS is moving in a different/parallel direction, but it's not converging. It can't, because so many things about how/where/when/why we use it are fundamentally different.

I agree. I don't get why some feel like the ios apps should be exactly like their desktop counter part. The whole beauty of IOS is how different it is from desktop.