Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Effect MIX/SEND Feature request

I'm playing around with an amp sim - BIAS AMP 2 - and various audio effect plugins like EOS 2.

it is often desirable to have a WET-DRY setup where one mixer channel ( A ) gets a clean signal from the amp and cab into one while a "WET" signal comprising one or more effect such as delay and reverb go into a separate channel ( B ) .

Currently I cannot see a way of having a separate audio mix channel which takes input from an AMP SIM type IAA ( or AB3 ) app because it seems only one channel can be sourced by such an app.

Some kind of BUSS system like AUM has would help of course.

Comments

• Would you want to do the dry/wet mixing externally, @nonchai? I've actually just built in a dry/wet slider per-effect, which does all the mixing internally. Would that suffice?

• Awesome. Please.

• @Michael said:
    Would you want to do the dry/wet mixing externally, @nonchai? I've actually just built in a dry/wet slider per-effect, which does all the mixing internally. Would that suffice?

Will that allow us to route several channels to a single reverb?

• edited September 2018

@recccp said:

@Michael said:
    Would you want to do the dry/wet mixing externally, @nonchai? I've actually just built in a dry/wet slider per-effect, which does all the mixing internally. Would that suffice?

Will that allow us to route several channels to a single reverb?

Could it be made possible by using the same reverb AU instance on multiple channels?

Edit: it’s not.

• edited September 2018

I think the app MiMiX is perfect for routing inside AB3 if not using AUM . I used it on AB2 in the past.

The only downside is it adds some latency , some might find it noticeable for demanding real-time performing ....

But it’s cheap and supports midi learn (and remote :) )

• @Michael said:

that actually probably would for the time being. One of the biggest issues at the moment is that EOS2 insists on all its cool presets being set at 100% wet - so i have to keep going in and setting the mix to much less and saving the factory preset as a user one. But if you added your dry-wet slider thing that would alleviate this problem.

There were cases recently where I really wanted to just bunch a chain of effects fed by a guitar amp sim - onto a single "wet" track while having the dry guitar amp output also coming out on a separate track - i suppose kind of like doing an effects-send type of thing ( or a little like the WET-DRY rigs one sees in the suit world where the guitarist wants a basic dry guitar signal to go through one amp and cabinet - while effects go out thru a separate speaker - so everything is mixed "In the air"..
    ..... but that can wait :)

I tried it out in AUM and it worked but took up a lot of channels and screen-space to implement all the BUSS SEND business.

• @nonchai said:

@Michael said:

that actually probably would for the time being. One of the biggest issues at the moment is that EOS2 insists on all its cool presets being set at 100% wet - so i have to keep going in and setting the mix to much less and saving the factory preset as a user one. But if you added your dry-wet slider thing that would alleviate this problem.

There were cases recently where I really wanted to just bunch a chain of effects fed by a guitar amp sim - onto a single "wet" track while having the dry guitar amp output also coming out on a separate track - i suppose kind of like doing an effects-send type of thing ( or a little like the WET-DRY rigs one sees in the suit world where the guitarist wants a basic dry guitar signal to go through one amp and cabinet - while effects go out thru a separate speaker - so everything is mixed "In the air"..
    ..... but that can wait :)

I tried it out in AUM and it worked but took up a lot of channels and screen-space to implement all the BUSS SEND business.

Why? It only takes two channels: One with the guitar input and a bus send, another that receives on that bus and has all the effects in a chain.

• edited September 2018

@j_liljedahl said:
    Why? It only takes two channels: One with the guitar input and a bus send, another that receives on that bus and has all the effects in a chain.

remember i wanted "WET and DRY" -

So i create one channel "with the guitar input and a bus send" -
    another receiving on that bus with nothing else ( the DRY mix )
    and another another that receives on that bus and has all the effects in a chain.

So three in all.

Am I missing something ?

( PS the screenshot shows a mic input only because my guitar interface etc are not near my iPad currently )

• edited September 2018

AH typical ! i've just noticed theres a BUS SEND option in the list of available inserts and effect !

SILLY ME!!!!

Ya learn something new every day ... particularly with such a deep app as AUM :)

( its hidden right down at the bottom .. but still ... my bad ! )

• @Michael that sounds awesome.

One of the biggest issues at the moment is that EOS2 insists on all its cool presets being set at 100% wet - so i have to keep going in and setting the mix to much less and saving the factory preset as a user one.

To be honest, this is the problem. Most outboard effect units from the 90s had a brilliant little feature: a global setting for "insert" vs "send" modes. Insert mode would set the mix level to something reasonable across all presets. Send would set it to 100% wet across all presets. There's no practical reason AUs couldn't do the same.

• @nonchai said:

@Michael said:

What I'm wondering is why EOS2 isn't restoring the dry/wet state when a preset is loaded - it seems like this should address the issue if it worked properly, right?

• edited September 2018

@Michael said:

What I'm wondering is why EOS2 isn't restoring the dry/wet state when a preset is loaded - it seems like this
    should address the issue if it worked properly, right?

one would think. Yes.

Also frankly the built in EOS2 preset-list picker is annoyingly hard to dismiss.

• Ah well.

Anyway, the dry/wet functionality is now in beta for your testing pleasure: https://audiob.us/testing