Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why are there so few actual compositions done fully on an ipad?

Hi, I'm new around here, so excuse any ignorance in my questions or statements...as I just not be in the Know yet about some things...I've watched hundreds if not over a 1000 videos about IOS music apps and ios music creation, but almost none of the presenters ever post any songs. It seems to me that most people dabble? Why? I suppose this could change soon as the IPAD gets more powerful and has more storage space. I think that time is almost here. .

Comments

• Well, I have a catalog of over 300 songs, half of them instrumentals, across a plethora on genres and done exclusively on the iPad. If you dig in his forum you’ll find out I’m in no way exceptional.

• That’s actually pretty far from the truth around these parts. :smile: Just take a look under the Creations category in this forum. I released a full album done entirely on my iPad. And I’m not the only one.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7tIsCntoSUfWNUEY6iL0nc

• i disagree with you thread statement ...

maybe it's because those people posting videos about ios music focus too much time on making the videos (it can be a time consuming process) that they don't focus as much on producing finished tracks. If you look around enough you'll find there are countless people making music on ios who probably never ever make videos and spend all their time making tracks solely on an ipad or iphone (Count me in this group)

the ipad has been powerful enough to make full on/ well polished tracks for many years now

• edited September 2018

Hmmm, i think the ratio of incomplete / dabbler / complete is probably pretty consistent across OSes...

But/also/maybe/err if we are talking which platform gets better results etc, that is a whole other semantic square dance.

• @bedheadproducer said:
    Hi, I'm new around here, so excuse any ignorance in my questions or statements...as I just not be in the Know yet about some things...I've watched hundreds if not over a 1000 videos about IOS music apps and ios music creation, but almost none of the presenters ever post any songs. It seems to me that most people dabble? Why? I suppose this could change soon as the IPAD gets more powerful and has more storage space. I think that time is almost here. .

Because nobody is happy with just one toy. When you strip it all down to the root that is what you will find.

• edited September 2018

In the past three months I have completed 12 pieces and two four movement symphonies (Synthonies actually) here is one currently on page one. Many like @theconnactic @ScottVanZandt are prodigious producers. That being said I think there could be a lot more postings on Creations. People are shy to show their work.

@bedheadproducer you have tuned in at exactly the right time. A new iPad Pro coming out in October with 512 ROM and 4 RAM. An incredible array of DAWs, synths, acoustics and effects. Ask for suggestions before you buy. You will save a lot of money!
    I made this thirty minute piece on an ipad4 1gbRAM 32 ROM in forty hours. Welcome to the best iOS forum on the planet with the nicest and smartest people.

• edited September 2018

@bedheadproducer said:

I released a 13 song rock album 2 years ago, and I’m about halfway done with my next one.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7bVIngbLlD3sBzG0eekSGv?si=SKGanTmkTVCh4-1QoF_Lew

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thinking-makes-it-so/1139845269

There’s a song of the month thread here that seems to have quite a few participants.

• @LinearLineman do you know if Apple will be lifting the app memory limits ?

• I am one of those who never finishes anything, but that´s OK.

But for example, i cannot stop hearing this:

https://open.spotify.com/album/7tIsCntoSUfWNUEY6iL0nc

From one of our forum members :) :) :)

• edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

@universe I think I misspoke. I was sure I had seen the 512 written about somewhere in my searches but could not find it. Wishful thinking perhaps, tho I would never need so much ( I think). I will edit my comment. Thanks!
    Edit: it seems 512 is on the way.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I released this, earlier this week, and it was composed entirely on my iPhone 8 Plus. The recording moved over to LPX when I wanted to do the vocals, mixdown and mastering, but if it were easier to get files from one app to another on the same device, I could well have done the lot on iOS (except for flex pitch and binaural panning).

The single, Summer Blue Fade (for days like today)
    https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/ianktindale/emeI

The album, Electric Ian (a concept album, for those as nerdy as I am)
    https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/ianktindale/emfN

The composition and everything (up to, as I say, the vocals) was entirely Gadget.

• @bedheadproducer said:

Hey, I’m churning out opus after opus here....

• @LinearLineman said:
    In the past three months I have completed 12 pieces and two four movement symphonies (Synthonies actually) here is one currently on page one. Many like @theconnactic @ScottVanZandt are prodigious producers. That being said I think there could be a lot more postings on Creations. People are shy to show their work.

@bedheadproducer you have tuned in at exactly the right time. A new iPad Pro coming out in October with 256 ROM and 4 RAM. An incredible array of DAWs, synths, acoustics and effects. Ask for suggestions before you buy. You will save a lot of money!
    I made this thirty minute piece on an ipad4 1gbRAM 32 ROM in forty hours. Welcome to the best iOS forum on the planet with the nicest and smartest people.

September 12 is the new date Mike

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

Deleted duplicate post

• I find jammin more fun.

• When you do see that they posted a song, usually less people care about it. So maybe they just stick to what people like. Tutorials, reviews, overviews, and sometimes jams etc. More people are likely to watch those I think. There are plenty of people making compositions on iOS, you’ll have to look harder to find them because they probably won’t be a top hit recommendation or maybe they never made a video because they were focused on the composition.

• This is a gear forum :)

• @wim said:

@robosardine said:

@bedheadproducer said:

The title your thread to reads like a statement of fact- you ask to forgiven for any ignorance that it may contain-which it clearly does- yet you can’t even be bothered to change it even after you realise this during the time you are composing the rest of it.
    It is always easier to forgive someone’s ignorance after said ignorance has been pointed out to them and they then acknowledge then this as having been something that they were hitherto unaware of.
    I once asked someone to forgive my ignorance and stupidity before punching them in the mouth as part of a social experiment I had conceived for myself- I couldn’t understand why they were so upset about it- I had even explained to them earlier that I was new in the area and had heard that most of the locals would put up with pretty much anything.... still can’t understand it to this day🤔

Wow. Harsh. :/

Give the guy/gal a break. First day on the forum and maybe doesn’t even know you can change a thread title. Not a very nice intro for a new community member.

Fair enough- maybe it was a little harsh- I just found it a little lazy and presumptious and jumped out of the traps a little bit.... I perhaps detected an underlying hostility that isn’t actually there. I would never have phrased a question like this being new to a forum myself.

• I definitely dabble, but that is the whole point. Making end results (as in what many would consider finished songs), is not the only end result. I just get lots of fun from playing music.

As for the percentages of what iOS is used for musically, who really knows. Is it possible to make great tracks totally on iOS? Yeah of course it is, but why bother? Most people who make music to sell, just use whatever is needed to obtain the result and making it iOS only is not important.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

Of the total population of music on the internet, only a tiny fraction is identified by how it was made, I don’t think there’s enough data to make any conclusion about how much or little is made on iOS.

Certainly the platform is capable. Those who say it isn’t are comparing it to their preferred workflow. Just look at what was available in th 60s and 70s compared to today on an iOS device. It’s just a matter of will. I know my desktop DAW is far more powerful but I can’t compose on it to save my life anymore. My mind just goes blank. On my iPad I never, ever lack inspiration!

I put up with the comparatively kludgy workflow on iOS for that reason and because of the abundance of inexpensive and inspirational tools.

• @realdawei, I respectfully disagree. It is primarily a gear forum, however, as stated on the home page:

"Discussion forum for Audiobus, the app-to-app audio platform for iOS and anything related to mobile music."

One of the great things about this forum is its scope, as represented by the categories including Creations and Off Topic. If it was meant to be solely about gear then there would not be these categories. Anything that promotes iOS, especially evidence that people are creating finished works with it is good for the platform, IMO. When I post on SoundCloud I add an iOS hashtag to each piece. Affordability, portability, pushing the limits of a limited device, mouseless workflow... These aspects won't grab everybody's attention, but it grabbed mine and I can see a ten year old loving it and making his or her first recordings. Because it is FUN!

@Fruitbat1919 you make a valid point...I am aware most really productive people here use a combination.... Let's see where it is at in three years ( hopefully I will still be alive!).

@mAxjUlien I certainly agree with you. The "everybody is entitled to be famous" approach is tough for me to swallow. Still, without it I wouldn't be posting my stuff, which I hope is a cut above. I think the "followers" aspect of SoundCloud leads to more discriminating listening for each viewer. And going thru a lot of less than great stuff to find the gems can be fun.

• @mAxjUlien said:
    I’ll go a different way...today, peoples constant need for relevance or validation has people sharing way too much. Even music. We don’t need more, we actually need less and better.

If people would stop sharing so much and actually work on their craft more...when they finally share, it might actually be good or worth hearing.

99% of the shit on SoundCloud, Youtube, Choon, is just that. Shit. :s

Used to be a lot harder to share your music with the world, by the time you got the equipment and know how...you were probably worth listening too.

Now, not so much. Everyone’s a star. Not.

I agree with this. I’ll add that there is an ease with which some things are shared that makes everything feel disposable. I’ll also add that in the past, even when people were making music with crappy equipment and less than perfect technique, getting something out there spoke to a sincere need and desire to “put it out there” which had a kind of prima facie credibility that just doesn’t exist any longer.

• @mAxjUlien said:
    Used to be a lot harder to share your music with the world, by the time you got the equipment and know how...you were probably worth listening too.

The 80s being the exception of course. :D

• I wonder what Doug @thesoundtestroom has to say about this subject. I think he has made seventeen or so albums, not sure how iOS has figured in, but he and Haq seem to be the premier presenters ( I like Andrew Huang, but I am not sure he is strictly iOS).

• I join previous speakers. But I want to note that the correction of the vocals remains a weak point in the IOS so far. Like giant ultra-realistic sampling instruments.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2018

iOS music making is kind of an amateur thing still. I'm sure Ipad instruments, sketches, field recordings are used on pro tracks all the time though.

Doing it all on iOS is hard mode.