Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using Qwerty keyboard for midi input — any ideas?

Is there a way to do this across variou apps (rather than in just one host app) — Using one of the fancy midi routing apps currently available?

Comments

• It's not exactly possible. The problem is that iOS requires the app receiving qwerty input to be in the foreground. For good reason—you wouldn't want to be mistakenly typing into a background app nor would you want some nefarious app to be listening to qwerty input while in the background.

Sidecar by @SecretBaseDesign gets around this (I think) by running in "Slider over" or split view. IIRC, as long as it's up on the slider over or split (or full screen, I imagine), it can take you qwerty input and send it to any app it's connected to. I don't own it so you might want to check with others or email Patrick directly to confirm before purchasing.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sidecar-midi-controller/id1073305840?mt=8

• A Qwerty keyboard for SunVox works. I verified using a Bluetooth keyboard as well.

• Doesn't the soft keyboard in GB (Mac) record MIDI notes?

• @audiobussy said:
    Is there a way to do this across variou apps (rather than in just one host app) — Using one of the fancy midi routing apps currently available?

A feature like this would sit best inside Audiobus, ApeMatrix, AUM in the shape of custom keyboard-to-MIDI CC and Notes mappings.

• @rs2000 said:

@audiobussy said:

A feature like this would sit best inside Audiobus, ApeMatrix, AUM in the shape of custom keyboard-to-MIDI CC and Notes mappings.

Interesting idea

• Hopefully Bram bos will reconsider and implement in the next update of Mozaic

• Sidecar has already been mentioned and works well. You can map the keys to notes or CCs

• M’y first music software on pc was Synapse Orion and it permitted QWERTY keyboard note entry. I don’t know why anybody would want to do that . Not a pleasant way to enter musical nite. I would rather enter note in a grid with my finger.

Get a cheap midi keyboard you will not regret.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Hopefully Bram bos will reconsider and implement in the next update of Mozaic

Yes this would be great!

• @mjcouche said:
    Sidecar has already been mentioned and works well. You can map the keys to notes or CCs

thaks mate, i just prefer to not deal with split screen, it has to always be on top inorder to work.

• @ecou said:
    M’y first music software on pc was Synapse Orion and it permitted QWERTY keyboard note entry. I don’t know why anybody would want to do that . Not a pleasant way to enter musical nite. I would rather enter note in a grid with my finger.

Get a cheap midi keyboard you will not regret.

I want a cheap compact nano qwerty keyboard to trigger , mute , solo etc. and to use the mouse pad as x\y! !

wouldnt it be cool!

https://www.banggood.com/I8-Wireless-Three-Color-Backlit-2_4GHz-Touchpad-Keyboard-Air-Mouse-For-TV-Box-MINI-PC-p-1121240.html?cur_warehouse=CN

• Yes it is cool but using QWERTY format for entering note is very not intuitive and a pain.

• @ecou said:
    Yes it is cool but using QWERTY format for entering note is very not intuitive and a pain.

Another serious issue is QWERTY keyboards on iOS don’t notify anything when the key is released.

So, you can’t get duration of a note like you can with a midi keyboard. Any app would have to assume some kind of length for each note, and it would be the same for all notes.

• @wim said:

@ecou said:
    Yes it is cool but using QWERTY format for entering note is very not intuitive and a pain.

Another serious issue is QWERTY keyboards on iOS don’t notify anything when the key is released.

So, you can’t get duration of a note like you can with a midi keyboard. Any app would have to assume some kind of length for each note, and it would be the same for all notes.

So essentially how the current crop of drum sequencers work :smile:

• It seems AU plugins can't receive key strokes unless a text field in their UI has focus. It may be different for standalone applications in the foreground.