Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Korg Electribe Wave tutorial!

Hi, my name is Marc and I have a full tutorial on my new youtube channel and I'm giving away 50 free custom synth presets for it, since korg only offers a handful of presets that come with the app. I'm trying to get some new subscribers, but a thumbs up will do too, then just send me a message and I'll send you the free presets. I'm going to post a video tonight showing off the free presets.

I aslo made a track using only electribe wave that's up at:

If you have any ideas for a full tutorial that hasn't been done or not thoroughly enough, please let me know. I promise I won't spam the crap out of you all here...I just want to initially let people know my channel now exists!
Marc Pattison

Comments

• Thanks for posting this. Didn't realize you could extract and share presets with it -- I made quite a few that would be nice to be able to share but was thinking it was impossible.

• zip file containing Electribe preset backup file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmj8u0l3ytxjsc1/Free PATTISON electribe presets.zip?dl=0

or
    Korg Electribe file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b84zvi0b1njxyj2/Free PATTISON electribe presets.ewproj?dl=0

use file browser to place in electribe wave folder then restore from preferences.

You can also put it in the korg folder using itunes

• I decided to just share the presets....you can subscribe or not..lol. However...if you like the presets, a thumbs up or subscription would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

• Lot of helpful info in there, thanks.

• Good tutorial. Love the opening AR. Didn’t love the Ozzie machine voice as it’s a long video to listen to a robot voice. But thanks this made me realise this app is not for me. The sounds are so dated

• @universe said:
    Good tutorial. Love the opening AR. Didn’t love the Ozzie machine voice as it’s a long video to listen to a robot voice. But thanks this made me realise this app is not for me. The sounds are so dated

Hi I am curious. You say the sounds are dated? What is current in your opinion? I am genuinely curious?

• edited September 2018

@Chaztrip said:

@universe said:
    Good tutorial. Love the opening AR. Didn’t love the Ozzie machine voice as it’s a long video to listen to a robot voice. But thanks this made me realise this app is not for me. The sounds are so dated

Hi I am curious. You say the sounds are dated? What is current in your opinion? I am genuinely curious?

That’s very subjective, so almost no point going into. Some of the sounds in this app seem to be exactly that - current - ie just following the present generic edm trend. But as soon as you follow a trend you are in a way dated. Record labels churn out carbon copies of the latest sound perfectly repackaged for the mainstream market. Which seems to have filtered down to apps like this. And that’s ok. If you like it you like it. We all have different tastes. It’s just not for me.

• @Chaztrip said:

@universe said:

@bedheadproducer Did a great job: totally engaging video. But I think, yes, the sound set is kind of trite. All the stock demo songs I’ve heard are almost parodies of techno circa 2004. But there seems to be a lot of manipulability (?) in the app. I’ll wait till there are sound packs or sample import. Just opened up the Gestrument beta with its bassoons and viola plucks (and many synth patches) and loved it.

• edited September 2018

@universe said:

Well my last tutorial was a lot shorter and I used a brit voice, I was trying to change it up.
    I would have done the talking myself, but I'm getting my teeth redone and have to go without
    certain teeth in the process, which is effecting my speech, so it would be worse to listen to me lisping for 35 minutes, lol.

I didn't plan on making such a long video, but I quickly realized that the manual explains the details, but explains no workflow at all. I have been on a synth and app buying rampage for about 6 months. This is after having two 8 core i7 PCs with every VST and sample library under the sun for quite a few years.
    What drew me to the Ipad were two main things. 1. with the touch surface and the IOS platform, there generally
    more innovative and unique things being created for sound mangling and sound design than anywhere else. It's been the same old same old in the other realm, for a long time.

I'm generally a rock and metal musician and an accomplished guitarist. (Been playing 35 years and am called a "shredder" ie someone that can play complicated stuff very fast, as if I had to sell my soul to do so..lol) So for me the logical progression to find unique sounds to add to my music that are new and refreshing, is synthesis.

The 2nd thing that drew me in was portability. I love being able to do actual legitimate work towards actual composing, no matter where I'm at, on battery power and I never, ever, have to be bored or non productive, unless I choose to be. The third thing is price. Most of the items for sale on the ipad...their equivalent on a computer, generally costs ten times more...often even more than that...
    So, when it comes to workflow, I'd much rather use the Electribe as a sound module than to make music in. Pattern based recording is for kids. It's practically the worst way to record. The electribe won't even let you play non quantizedmidi or even do triplets unless the swing is turned way up. It takes a modern musician/composer and ties their hands behind their back.

However there is one main reason I decided to put up with that and record a song using patterns and chaining them together....I felt that if I forced myself to work within the application for awhile, I would become familiar enough with the sound design aspects of this app enough that I would come up with some unique sounds...which I did. Oddly enough, I have not used the most unique sounds in a song yet....kind of saving them for the near future, but this app, more than a lot of synths I've purchased, almost instantly had me creating some other worldly sounds. I was quite surprised.

So, the minute it works as an AU, I will use it the most then. In the meantime...I use inter app audio to use it as much like a VST, inside a DAW as possible or just export single parts as audio and import them...whatever it takes to make the music I want to make with the least amount of restrictions on my creativity. Not being able to play lines or program them like the rhythm I hear in my head, is just plain annoying. Lastly, there is one other thing I'm very impressed with with this app.

I have yet to use any kind of VST, or record a song in a DAW, that doesn't need lots of tweeking, via EQ, compression, limiting, multi band compression, etc in order to sound like program material. I took the IPAD with me to listen to the sound quality on stock car stereo, which is the final test for any style of music I record, from dance music(I'm really into psy trance and variations of house, with the occasional dubstep sounds here and there) to hard rock and progressive metal, (IE Periphery, Dream Theater,Soilwork, etc) . This electribe app sounds thumping without woofing out my speakers. That is normally practically impossible. They have equed their sounds , especially the drums and bass sounds...to near perfection. I'm totally floored by this alone. The track I posted, sounds amazing in my car , with absolutely no mastering. God, if only that were possible all the time.

So, in response to your statement that the sounds are generic...well, yes and no. Synthesis ain't new. The core tones, like a saw, sine or square, are older than sin and at the core of all synths. So every synth or VST I've ever heard, has sounds that go back to Pink Floyd, "The Dark Side of the Moon" who are the fathers of Electronic music if you ask me. The electribe, more than many synths I've tried, has unique and quirky sounds IF you are willing to mess with it. I'm a musician, not a sound designer. I hate having to tweek sound too much, because I'd rather spend more time creating. A unique riff with an old, used before sound, is more pleasing to me, than a generic riff with a brand new tone. So unique sounds for me are more for intros, and a surprise somewhere in a song, because I heard once, on youtube even, that a good song has several elements to them, one of them being at least one surprise.... and I agree.

So, for 20 bucks, I'd buy the electribe for ONE unique sound that I could use in ONE song.
    That's all it takes to justify spending 20 or less. And what I got, was an app that actually motivated me to sound design. That's never happened, and I've been recording electronic dance music for at least 15 years. I've always just used presets, because it was quick, easy and generally VSTs come with hundreds of presets. I always spent at least 4 minutes on slightly customizing a preset, unless I was composing classical music, like for film, which I do as well.

The Electribe is so worth the 20 bucks, it's not even funny...but not for it's note sequencing abilities, but for it's sound design capabilities and it's sound automation abilities, because we all know that one of the coolest things about keyboard based music, is that you can morph sounds into things unrecognizable to their origin and still remain musical. God if I could do that with my guitar without a lot of work, I probably would have never gotten into synths. I do mangle guitars as well, but unfortunately when I do, it takes my performance into studio tricks,
    that are virtually impossible to perform live, without having a drummer who can play insanely difficult stuff to a click( which exist, but I could never perform with a click so loud in my ear as a drummer has to, to be able to play over the loud sound of live drums....much less play to a click live in general because it sonically doesn't belong with the music. ) or without hiring an extra pair of hands, to modulate and change my sound for me on the fly live.

The latter just isn't feasible without a good budget and is just another unreliable mouth to feed on the road. I say unreliable, because what musician or person is actually happy(musically speaking) performing by twisting knobs without actually playing any musical notes.....only someone who isn't actually a real musician, (tons of money, like what big DJs make, seems to be the exception to this rule) if you ask me. I'm not saying non musicians can't be great composers...I'm just saying the thrill of playing live, is that it's a highwire act that not just anyone can do, much like a magician. If it were easy, nobody would ever go to see bands or artist play, in my opinion.

So, will the Electribe be even better once they add more features and restrict it less, will be much better and a bigger force to be reckoned with? Sure...but in the meantime, if one simply wants some unique ear candy to add to their music, there's nothing wrong with it, even in it's current state. If I want to, badly enough, get the sounds into a workflow that is far less restrictive...I surely can. I don't HAVE to write full pieces in step mode if I don't want to, and generally I wont, unless I were stuck on a tour bus in Europe somewhere with nothing else better...lol. But even then, these days there a ton of other options.

This was a practice in discipline for me. A. I wanted to write a tutorial that explained more than anyone else and I wanted to learn a bit more about sound design through synthesis and I was able to achieve both, which cost me about two full nights. Now that I've done that, I'm going back to my normal workflow, which always will include some sort of DAW. In fact I'm going to take the song I composed, export the stems and try to add guitar to it.

I hope I've made my case for the fact that you can do exactly what you are seeking with this app....make cool brand new tones and sounds. The fact more people haven't done it yet is for two main reasons. Most people are NOT sound designers and/or lazy and 2. The app has only been out for 2 days.

• Nice tutorial @bedheadproducer Thanks for sharing. I’m curious about that AR character animation at the beginning. Is that an iOS app or?

• @bedheadproducer Hi thanks for the presets I downloaded and put them inside Electribe Wave folder under on my iPad. How do you “restore from preferences” is that a setting within the Korg app. Can all this be done just on the iPad or is iTunes computer link up need ?

• Just go in « preferences » in the korg app. There is a restore button. Be careful, it will replace (erase) all your own custom presets and songs...

• @cuscolima said:
    Just go in « preferences » in the korg app. There is a restore button. Be careful, it will replace (erase) all your own custom presets and songs...

yes , I figured it was a given that you have to back up your current state if you have made your own presets and patterns, but for anyone that hasn't, all it will do is add my presets to the factory ones.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @bedheadproducer btw: Welcome :)

Thanks...I just got a nice comment from the Soundtestroom. Man Doug is a class act. Even though technically the channel I just started is competition...which I really wasn't intending. I just felt I had something to add to the genre.
    Doug has single highhandedly changed my world as a musician and I'm hoping in the future we can collaborate bot musically and in educating the world about IOS music creation. Anyone happen to have his email address?
    And thank you to all have let me step into this club as a newbie with open arms . You really are better than the arm crossing skeptics in the metal world I'm used to.....I'm sure those exist everywhere, but there is an old runny joke..."How many metal guitarists does it take to screw in a light bulb? 1000. 1 to screw in the light bulb, and the other 999 to stand around with their arms crossed and say how they could have done it better.">

@brice said:

Nice tutorial @bedheadproducer Thanks for sharing. I’m curious about that AR character animation at the beginning. Is that an iOS app or?

Yes, almost everything I do including filming, video editing and especially AR is done on IOS.

this particular app is called: Kouji
    I made a video of a character who comes out to talk to a date while I'm in the bathroom, informing her that he always has to hide when girls come over because of sex. It's pretty funny...at least acco
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjEg8y-oprdAhXiHjQIHSKYCVUQFjAAegQIBBAB&url=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kouji-film-your-avatar-in-ar/id1235465596?mt=8&usg=AOvVaw3Wlzn9_GT35j3TiQvOQNyl

you can hear the presets here:

• @bedheadproducer Really enjoyed the sounds and the long post about your history and how the Electribe Wave is well worth it. I need to see that comedy video of yours now!

• @cuscolima said:
    Just go in « preferences » in the korg app. There is a restore button. Be careful, it will replace (erase) all your own custom presets and songs...

Ok cheers I see what they are now,

• I did not mean to post that crap 3 times...damn...lol
    can i delete the excess?

• @AtticusL said:
    @bedheadproducer Really enjoyed the sounds and the long post about your history and how the Electribe Wave is well worth it. I need to see that comedy video of yours now!

thank you...unfortunately I'm a long winded poster at times...I have a lot to say and have never mastered the art of brevity in writing. I'll see if I can dig it up.

• edited September 2018

@bedheadproducer said:
    I did not mean to post that crap 3 times...damn...lol
    can i delete the excess?

It’s actually charming if you read it in an Australian robot voice. ;)

• I did a guitar improv over the top of the song I wrote in the electrbe APP.

• Really awesome guitar playing! And thanks for the video!

• Thanks for reviving this thread.. was just messing with KEW.. wow.. did not know it was such a powerful app..

• The @bedheadproducer can play and produce. Good to see you back.

• Anyone who own this and Xequence 2 know if it’s possible to sequence KEW from X2?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Anyone who own this and Xequence 2 know if it’s possible to sequence KEW from X2?

Yep. But you have dedicated midi channels for synths and drums are only on channel 10 i believe. Synths are 1-8 if i recall correctly.

• Sweet! Been enjoying your music!

@echoopera said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Anyone who own this and Xequence 2 know if it’s possible to sequence KEW from X2?

Yep. But you have dedicated midi channels for synths and drums are only on channel 10 i believe. Synths are 1-8 if i recall correctly.