Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence + Audiobus + AUM, best practices for a complete music production environment

Comments

• No video but @SevenSystems provided the setup information. Either in this thread or the docs (maybe both). Once set up, opening the AB3 doc loads the AUM and Xeq files.

What is tripping you up about the setup?

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@McD said:
    Has anyone put up a video for this:

Xequence (MIDI Channels) + AB3 (AB Channels) + AUM (MIDI + AB Channels)

use case?

PERSONAL GOAL: Optimize the ability to import a set-up and then just work primarily from AUM using the AB3 Transport "sidecar".

I think Xequence operates outside of both AB3 and AUM and allows Apps to be the targets for MIDI Channels. Is that the case? A good video would really help navigate the "unknowns" of AB3, IAA, Core MIDI, Virtual MIDI, Bluetooth MIDI, AU FX, Audio Routing and the proper order to "save work in progress". I'm sure there are gotchas.

The only gotcha is IAA apps that don’t have Audiobus state saving. Other than that, there are particular midi setups needed for certain IAA apps. No video can hope to cover all that ground for all apps.

• @wim said:

@McD said:

No video can hope to cover all that ground for all apps.

Thanks. Just checking for "prior effort".

READ ON AT YOUR PERIL - GETTING OLD SUCKS:

When faced with a learning curve for any Apps I own I tend to buy a new App instead and discover it has a learning curve. When it doesn't I tend to use it a lot.

Sometimes I try to learn the new App and make some progress then a new App comes along and I get side tracked and forget what I had learn so far.

Sisyphus and the Rolling Stones - Live from Hell

Did I mention I love puzzles? I just buy them faster than I can solve them and in 3 months I forget how I solved them before.

It's OK. It keeps me from loosing too many dendrites and it's a hedge against dementia.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

The wiki is gonna be a great thing for the expiring brain cells issue. Way easier to keep up to date than videos too.

• @wim said:
    The wiki is gonna be a great thing for the expiring brain cells issue.

Wiki's are great for organizing information that's generated by a mob.
    I'm looking forward to read/writing with the Wiki.

If the search engine on the forum was more effective that would also help.
    I can still use it to find essential details on most apps.

• @espiegel123 said:
    No video but @SevenSystems provided the setup information. Either in this thread or the docs (maybe both). Once set up, opening the AB3 doc loads the AUM and Xeq files.

What is tripping you up about the setup?

@mcd: The detailed setup instructions are the first post in this topic. There is also a step-by-step guide with pictures in the Xequence manual.

If you have any trouble ask away. I'll add a link to this topic in the knowledge base.

• I've added a knowledge base article with links to the this topic and the Audio Dabbler's tutorial series. Add any tips or tricks:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32269/xequence-linear-midi-sequencer/p1

• @espiegel123 thanks for the knowledgebase thread.

@McD if there's any questions regarding specifics, just let me know.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I've added a knowledge base article with links to the this topic and the Audio Dabbler's tutorial series. Add any tips or tricks:

That's great. I like the "Audio Dabbler's" tutorial style.

Anyday now, I'm expecting @SevenSystems to follow through with an "audio recording/playback" product. I have faith... believing things without any evidence to
    justify the believe. "It's coming."

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I've added a knowledge base article with links to the this topic and the Audio Dabbler's tutorial series. Add any tips or tricks:

Anyday now, I'm expecting @SevenSystems to follow through with an "audio recording/playback" product. I have faith... believing things without any evidence to

"Any day now" is a bit optimistic (NS2 was 6 years in the making ;)), but the rest of your prophetic prediction seems quite reasonable :)

• @SevenSystems said:

@McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

"Any day now" is a bit optimistic (NS2 was 6 years in the making ;)), but the rest of your prophetic prediction seems quite reasonable :)

This is great news. Under 6 years.

NS2 isn't even done yet by the way. Opps... dendy might be listening.

Humor is dangerous and subject to being taken seriously.

• @Tronlady said:

@Kühl said:

@SevenSystems said:

EDIT 2: The office cat is a bit in need of affection right now, first things first! :)

Respect! The pussycat comes first. I hope you give it delicious food :)

I love this forum.....GEAR.....AND CATS!!!! 😍

And new interesting, reasonably priced, music apps :)

My Tiger says hello 🐯 he eats me out of the house soon, thank goodness I’m vegan 😂

• @McD said:

@wim said:

@McD said:

No video can hope to cover all that ground for all apps.

Thanks. Just checking for "prior effort".

READ ON AT YOUR PERIL - GETTING OLD SUCKS:

When faced with a learning curve for any Apps I own I tend to buy a new App instead and discover it has a learning curve. When it doesn't I tend to use it a lot.

Sometimes I try to learn the new App and make some progress then a new App comes along and I get side tracked and forget what I had learn so far.

Sisyphus and the Rolling Stones - Live from Hell

Did I mention I love puzzles? I just buy them faster than I can solve them and in 3 months I forget how I solved them before.

It's OK. It keeps me from loosing too many dendrites and it's a hedge against dementia.

Hasn’t failed me yet.

• edited April 2019

It’s a semi-long thread... but did I see somewhere ‘Xequence AUv3’ mentioned, or maybe II misread?

• @RajahP said:
    It’s a semi-long thread... but did I see somewhere ‘Xequence AUv3’ mentioned, or maybe II misread?

Various parts of Xequence are being made available as AUv3 plugins (so far the keyboard and drum pads, more are planned). The other thing that's still on the cards for some day is AUv3 hosting in Xequence (use synths and effects directly in Xequence with a full mixer etc.). That's the only stuff I can think of :)

• Is Au3 midi plugin support on the cards?

• edited April 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@RajahP said:

Various parts of Xequence are being made available as AUv3 plugins (so far the keyboard and drum pads, more are planned). The other thing that's still on the cards for some day is AUv3 hosting in Xequence (use synths and effects directly in Xequence with a full mixer etc.). That's the only stuff I can think of :)

Interesting.. looking forward to that..

Gadget has an interesting midi import feature that takes a long midi file (say 64 bars) and would break it up into say, 8 ‘8-bar’ loops or however you will like to set it up (16 ‘4-bar loops, etc.) . Which can now be exported as multiple midi loops.. Can we get this in Xequence.. or maybe it’s there and I missed it..

Thanks..

Did get the Au Pad and Keys.. 🙏

Edit.. I guess AUM’s link start and stop update should make Xequence less needed as an AU..

• @RajahP : Gadget does that because it’s sections are limited in length. Why would you want Xequence to break up a MIDI file on import? You can split “blocks” easily enough in Xequence and put them where they make sense.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @RajahP : Gadget does that because it’s sections are limited in length. Why would you want Xequence to break up a MIDI file on import? You can split “blocks” easily enough in Xequence and put them where they make sense.

I’m thinking of exporting to desktop, Capturing a Future Drummer performance and sending say 8 4-bar midi loops to Maschine for example..

• @SevenSystems said:

@RajahP said:

That sounds exciting looking forward to that.

• @cian said:
    Is Au3 midi plugin support on the cards?

Maybe, but not the highest priority -- first of all, audio (instruments + FX).

• I just want to say thanks to whoever resurrected this thread. I had stopped using audiobus and was just using AUM. I couldn't really see the need for Audiobus anymore, but intrigued I followed a couple of the suggestions and now I have a really nice setup. When the merge functionality for Audiobus goes live I will be in a really good spot.

Audiobus remote makes this setup even better. The ability to switch screens with my phone instantaneously is so awesome. Just press a button and I can switch between sequencers, or the sequencer and the synth it's driving, or between synths as I tweak them... Really fluid.

Also creating complex chains in Audiobus, which feed into more conventional channels in AUM (drumrack, bass, etc) really helps my headspace.

• @SevenSystems said:

@cian said:

That's a shame. I guess I need to find a workaround for feeding AU3 midi output into xequence.

• edited April 2019

@cian said:

@SevenSystems said:

@cian said:

That's a shame. I guess I need to find a workaround for feeding AU3 midi output into xequence.

I think that should be pretty straightforward, all you need is an AUv3 plugin that can send its MIDI input to a Virtual MIDI port (Xequence's), or to Xequence's AB3 MIDI In port. I think Audiobus even has this functionality built-in, but maybe someone else can chime in on this.

• I’ve seen this thread but didn’t realize the benefits until last night. I’m really digging AB as the state saver and app switcher. Only thing I’m running into is that Xequence doesn’t stop playing when I stop in AB. If I hit play again it stops. Then I can stop/start and I’m back in sync. Not sure if I’m missing a transport option.

• @rezidue said:
    I’ve seen this thread but didn’t realize the benefits until last night. I’m really digging AB as the state saver and app switcher. Only thing I’m running into is that Xequence doesn’t stop playing when I stop in AB. If I hit play again it stops. Then I can stop/start and I’m back in sync. Not sure if I’m missing a transport option.

Are you using the latest of both versions?

Are you initiating playback with the AB play button for all AB or tapping on Xequence’s play button on the palette?

• @SevenSystems said:

@cian said:

@SevenSystems said:

@cian said:

I think that should be pretty straightforward, all you need is an AUv3 plugin that can send its MIDI input to a Virtual MIDI port (Xequence's), or to Xequence's AB3 MIDI In port. I think Audiobus even has this functionality built-in, but maybe someone else can chime in on this.

It’s pretty easy really. There are at least two ways to do it.

• You can put Xequence in the output position and the AU midi plugin in either the input position or the FX position as appropriate. Put the app you want to hear in the position next to Xequence. Or...
    • Put Xequence in the output position and the AU midi plugin in either the input position or the FX position as appropriate. Then, in a separate lane put Xequence in the input position and the app you want to hear in the output position. Enable midi thru in Xequence.

I prefer the second way. This makes it easy to have Xequence play the app once you’ve recorded the midi.

Without Midi Thru

Audiobus preset 'Xequence Parallel': http://preset.audiob.us/2LvtrG6Bmd7a3Hs

With Midi Thru

Audiobus preset 'Xequence Midi Thru': http://preset.audiob.us/0e62gnmysd7gZmK

• @espiegel123 said:

@rezidue said:
    I’ve seen this thread but didn’t realize the benefits until last night. I’m really digging AB as the state saver and app switcher. Only thing I’m running into is that Xequence doesn’t stop playing when I stop in AB. If I hit play again it stops. Then I can stop/start and I’m back in sync. Not sure if I’m missing a transport option.

Are you using the latest of both versions?

Are you initiating playback with the AB play button for all AB or tapping on Xequence’s play button on the palette?

It does get confused sometimes if you use both the AB play button and the Xequence play button. A second tap on the AudioBus play button usually does the trick. It’s best to stick to just the AB play button. But this doesn’t always work for recording. If you hit record in Xequence, then the AB play button, record stops.

What I do is hit the AB play button, then quickly hit record in Xequence. Xequence starts at the next bar. If you time it right, they both start at the same time. I set count-in to zero in Xequence so that AB doesn’t start playing during the count-in.

Also, but sure Link start/stop is enabled in AudioBus’s settings.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

I had a great time last night using Xequence to compose in Korg Wave rather than its internal sequencer. Both were loaded into Audiobus for easy app switching. When I had all the parts as I wanted them I recorded the Xequence output in KEW and it was all captured perfectly.

That was sooo much more pleasant than sequencing in KEW.

• @wim thanks so much for helping out -- if I had money, I'd employ you instantly :)