Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Finally Ableton app for iOS (not really)

Comments

• @Enkerli said:

@studs1966 said:

@Enkerli said:

@Turntablist said:
    Unlikely, Native Instruments have very few developers in house, the ones that are directly employed by Native Instruments have to share their time between development on Kontakt/Reaktor/Maschine in that order (Order of rate of perpetual income)

Aww… Way to ruin it for us!
    Y’mean it’s not this Fall that we’ll get an iOS version of Reaktor (compatible with existing ensembles)?
    :'(

Nah, it’s gonna be iMashine 2, but with up to 8 channels of Audio( depending in iPad... 4 minimum)... with extra tools.. to:Play samples ( better than Beathawk)....

That’s probably better playing to their strengths. Not my kind of thing, but at least there‘s precedent.

Therei is no way Ableton can make an app on iOS work the same as a Desktop... Too much. CPU, especially with the sample manipulation of “ Elestic v3 technology’s”....

Hm… While it’s hard to compare ARM and x86 performance, there’s been quite a bit of noise about recent iOS chips outperforming relatively recent laptops and desktops. And my 2012 MacBook Pro does run these DAWs fairly well. Sounds to me like RAM might be the bigger constraint. But some cross-platform devs could chime in.

My expectation for these mainstream devs isn’t that they’d release full-featured versions of their DAWs for iOS but that they’d have fairly powerful apps which complement the workflow. Haven’t done much in Cubasis and never worked in Cubase, but it does sound like that integration works fairly well. To me, the way Korg paired Gadget with macOS is a pretty neat model. Korg Gadget for macOS is somewhat limited as a DAW, but it does integrate nicely with the iOS version. And since you can export to Ableton Live projects with support for the VSTs, it means you can start a project in Gadget for iOS and finish it in Live. That makes quite a bit of sense.

As we know, there’s a Grindhouse soundtrack made entirely in Gadget for iOS. With time, iOS-based workflow will likely expand. Who knows, Apple may even end up realizing that there’s an actual pro market on iOS and greatly enhance their devices for such work.

That's a fair point..... I really do hope I'm wrong?... Actually thinking about it, Ableton 32bit work good with samples, & it worked great on Windows & Mac, but I'm not a programmer, so I think you could be right about the Ram side of things, which would be restrictive...

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Now DJ Puzzle is making Maschine Kits. Great more NI kits by iPad producers. I wonder if NI are gonna are drop a iPad Maschine specific controller. Would be nice .

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2126575257605458&id=36769457062&refsrc=http://t.co/CQ17xWpS5z&_rdr

The new maschine mk3 is class compliant on the audio side. If NI implements the “midi/hid” side inside a new iMaschine app it should work (with dedicated psu due to mifi restrictions).
    A dedicated mikro mk3 (without screens) also could be possible but too much development for a forgotten platform (iOS)

• Ahá! Source of the rumour!

https://www.theverge.com/bazinga-apple-releases-desktop-daw

Say hello to Trusty the Clown and his friend Rick Astley :trollface:

• Been a while since rumours of Ableton for iOS were discussed.
    From Ali Ahmet on the AUv3 group on Facebook. Sounds like an attempt at a mockup.

• StageLight is the closest thing so far, but it needs to iron some midi issues

• @Korakios said:
    StageLight is the closest thing so far, but it needs to iron some midi issues

They seem to have all gone for a long summer vacation though.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@Korakios said:
    StageLight is the closest thing so far, but it needs to iron some midi issues

They seem to have all gone for a long summer vacation though.

Indeed! But can't blame them, they were super productive a few months ago ,plus iOS 13 adds many new features, so (hopefully) they are working on it. At least support team is always there for feedback :)

• I’d actually be much more excited if Bitwig was the first major iOS DAW. They’ve been far ahead of the curve with their elegant touch screen implementation. They’re more forward thinking in a lot of areas, actually, so it’d make sense for them to be seriously looking into iOS.

I have too many other desktop DAWs to adopt yet another as of now, but would buy it for iOS in a heartbeat, especially if it were under $100. Having it on iPad might even convince me to spring for a desktop version for obvious reasons.

• @ZenEagle said:
    I’d actually be much more excited if Bitwig was the first major iOS DAW. They’ve been far ahead of the curve with their elegant touch screen implementation. They’re more forward thinking in a lot of areas, actually, so it’d make sense for them to be seriously looking into iOS.

I have too many other desktop DAWs to adopt yet another as of now, but would buy it for iOS in a heartbeat, especially if it were under $100. Having it on iPad might even convince me to spring for a desktop version for obvious reasons.

Agreed. I have been using logic since version 1.1 so have no interest in switching anytime soon, but i would definitely be interested in an iPad version, no doubt.

Considering how much content is supplied with the desktop DAWs, it would be logical if a developer released a lite-ish version with much less included content. They could offer more via IAP to keep the cash registers Ringing.

• If Logic/Garageband/Mainstage add live loops I will be happy. Easy to do than port Logic into iPadOS but let's hope it's coming soon too...

• edited June 2019

With a little more features added.. FLStudio can win the ‘Performance Mode’ war.. Dug into it recently and it’s editing features (within PM) sets it apart from the others.. just more work on clip launching/capture and it’s the winner by far.. and maybe a port to iOS...

edit.. I do own Maschine and Ableton live..

• @Enkerli said:
    Been a while since rumours of Ableton for iOS were discussed.
    From Ali Ahmet on the AUv3 group on Facebook. Sounds like an attempt at a mockup.

Even though it's a 'mockup' I still want it on iOS ASAP.
    Give it Simpler, DrumRack, AudioTracks, Midi Tracks, AUv3 Instrument & Effects support and it's goodbye to most other DAWs on iOS, seriously.

Even though I love my iPad I've lately been using thru IDAM as a sound module recording sounds into Live Lite and messing around with it but can't help to think how much smoother the process would be without having to mess with the computer...

It almost feels like the big players are intentionally keeping the more advanced features away from iOS...
    (Like where the Cubase Sampler Track that was introduced over two years ago, and we just recently got a triplet grid in Cubasis and are still stuck at mechanical 48ppqn in 2019 like WTF!).

I do get that sales might not be high but consider the fact that many stay away from iOS since the software is 'crippled' compared to what they are used to...

Oh well, I hope things will change if not this year, maybe the next or next after that...

• I hate this thread. Crushed every time. :)

• @Samu I have been doing the same, except with Studio One. Using my iPad through my iCA4+ to just record audio into studio one.

My question for you, since you mention Live Lite, Would an 8 track DAW be enough? I feel like when we start using the tools outside the scope it can cause more problems. or start trying to program a full, 128 track daw on an iPad, and loading up 128 instances of D1. Also not saying that an iPad could not handle it but do we really need it. I am just saying, sometimes limiting can be good for creative processes.

I can picture a Ableton Live Lite clone like you, with a clip mode and song mode. AUv3 host. Maybe mix of Midi and Audio tracks. possibly up to 16 tracks. a drum rack, audio sends, midi routing. The only thing I would want is, in clip mode, that the audio tracks could overdub.

• @gmslayton said:

My question for you, since you mention Live Lite, Would an 8 track DAW be enough?

For me the 8 tracks of Live Lite are enough as I'm not a huge fan of clip-launching.

Since most of the DAWs on iOS support more than 8 tracks I don't see why a potential iLive couldn't do that too.
    And if CPU is an issue it's always possible to freeze/render to audio.

What bugs me more is that we still after all these years do not have a sampler that is even remotely close to either Ableton Simpler or Cubase Sampler Track and that is what is starting to grow on me since i love to sample stuff...

In order for a sampler to be efficient (ie. allow working with the audio in the 'session') it has to be integrated in the host.
    AUv3 Samplers will never be able to gain the same level of host integration as a built-in one. AUv3's on iOS still suffer from restriction set by iOS and I don't seen that situation getting better as even macOS Catalina is starting to mess things up (I will not be able to update until Yamaha brings out a Catalina compatible driver for the UR-242 and it will also break many of the apps I use daily so I'm unlikely to update to Catalina at all).

BM3 is due for an update phase and I do hope 'they' deliver this time around...
    (I decided not to be part of the beta this time around and add more stuff to the cue of issues that are yet to be resolved).

The irony here is that I have more and in some cases better tools for iOS than I have for my Mac but just a few pieces are missing and that drives me nuts :D

• @Samu said:
    Even though I love my iPad I've lately been using thru IDAM as a sound module recording sounds into Live Lite and messing around with it but can't help to think how much smoother the process would be without having to mess with the computer...

On the "computer", the process is very smooth already without iOS, not to mention countless fantastic freeware synths and fx and unfortunately it seems that most musicians do agree ;)

• @Samu said:

@gmslayton said:

My question for you, since you mention Live Lite, Would an 8 track DAW be enough?

For me the 8 tracks of Live Lite are enough as I'm not a huge fan of clip-launching.

Since most of the DAWs on iOS support more than 8 tracks I don't see why a potential iLive couldn't do that too.
    And if CPU is an issue it's always possible to freeze/render to audio.

What bugs me more is that we still after all these years do not have a sampler that is even remotely close to either Ableton Simpler or Cubase Sampler Track and that is what is starting to grow on me since i love to sample stuff...

In order for a sampler to be efficient (ie. allow working with the audio in the 'session') it has to be integrated in the host.
    AUv3 Samplers will never be able to gain the same level of host integration as a built-in one. AUv3's on iOS still suffer from restriction set by iOS and I don't seen that situation getting better as even macOS Catalina is starting to mess things up (I will not be able to update until Yamaha brings out a Catalina compatible driver for the UR-242 and it will also break many of the apps I use daily so I'm unlikely to update to Catalina at all).

BM3 is due for an update phase and I do hope 'they' deliver this time around...
    (I decided not to be part of the beta this time around and add more stuff to the cue of issues that are yet to be resolved).

The irony here is that I have more and in some cases better tools for iOS than I have for my Mac but just a few pieces are missing and that drives me nuts :D

Funny you mention Catalina?... I’ve been getting loads of email from VST companies (Slate Digital, Acid Pro Tools, ect).. Do not update to Apples Catalina yet.. There are problems with it at the moment.. If you can wait a little longer until things are fixed, do not update.. It reminded me when Windows we’re updating everybody to Windows 10... Steinberg said to he same for Cubase, a long time ago.. Apple must be having a bit of trouble at the moment (or Devs with new format?).. I’m glad I’m a Windows 10 nutcase.. But things will sort itself out.. Bit of teething problems at the moment, I would of thought?..

• @ecamburn said:
    I hate this thread. Crushed every time. :)

It will be funnier if you had been the OP... :facepalm:

I trolled myself, it isn’t amazing?!

• how many of you have been tempted to try out bitwig on another tablet?

• Clickbait thread title!

• @kobamoto said:
    how many of you have been tempted to try out bitwig on another tablet?

Yep, when my pc dies i will go tablet and bitwig

• @raimundoarriagada said:
    buy a macbook

I have a mac mini.

@maxwellhouser said:
    Clickbait thread title!

Karma hit me...

• Please, somebody change the title of this thread... so misleading. Tricks me every time... :)

• So it's BS?

Lame thread.

• wimwim
    edited September 2019