Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Lightning to USB Camera connector: can audio be recorded from it as a source in Windows?

I'm considering buying one of these "amazing" dongles (dongles!) but am concerned that it won't be seen as an audio source I can record from within my PC DAW. Ideally, I'd just plug it into a USB port on my PC, and tell my DAW to use it as an audio source.

I used to use studiomux, but that seems to largely be abandonware. I'd rather not have to load music stuff on my MacBook that's for work since I know it's easy there. I'm trying to maintain a digital connection rather than converting it to analog between. It really shouldn't be hard, but is this still just a dream? Thanks!

Comments

• Nope. You would still need Studiomux. The Lightning to USB 3 Adapter doesn’t affect things at all. It’s exactly the same as plugging your iOS device into your PC directly.

• To do what you want you need to get one of the iconnectivity audio interfaces. Literally nothing else let's you maintain the digital connection from iOS=>windows. Now if you're on Mac doesn't the iPad show up as an audio device just using the normal lightening cable ?

• Wim's answer is correct.

• Before I moved my DAW from a PC to a Mac I was using for that the iconnectmidi2+ along with Asio4all driver. This way my SPL Crimson soundcard and the iPad (via iconnectmidi) were along considered by Ableton live as my two audio sources. It worked pretty well.

• Ugh. I have a focusrite 6i6 and I'm not willing to switch from their asio drivers to asio4all in order to add another little box.

Just another day in my love/hate with Apple, I guess. My iPhone will just stay a standalone instrument. This would be so easy for apple to solve.....

Thanks for the responses. Even if they were what I was afraid of! 😀

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    Ugh. I have a focusrite 6i6 and I'm not willing to switch from their asio drivers to asio4all in order to add another little box.

Just another day in my love/hate with Apple, I guess. My iPhone will just stay a standalone instrument. This would be so easy for apple to solve.....

I hear you, studiomux does work though. It can be a pain but it is usable.

• edited August 2018

@[Deleted User] said:

@vitocorleone123 said:
    Ugh. I have a focusrite 6i6 and I'm not willing to switch from their asio drivers to asio4all in order to add another little box.

Alas, it stopped working for me 6+ months ago. I checked again the other day, and the Studiomux console disappears from the system tray (Windows 10 PC) as soon as I try to hover over it - and even if i don't do that, it doesn't recognize the iphone is connected with studiomux running. Reinstalling the console app didn't fix anything.

• edited August 2018

@vitocorleone123 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

Alas, it stopped working for me 6+ months ago. I checked again the other day, and the Studiomux console disappears from the system tray (Windows 10 PC) as soon as I try to hover over it - and even if i don't do that, it doesn't recognize the iphone is connected with studiomux running. Reinstalling the console app didn't fix anything.

I had a flickering studiomux icon thing going on once, was USB related but i can't remember how i solved it.. Have you tried the old trick of seeing if itunes recognises your iphone first?

• You got your computers mixed :D Win is for work and mac for spare time! That is if you have programs that only run on windows

• edited August 2018

@ToMess said:
    You got your computers mixed :D Win is for work and mac for spare time! That is if you have programs that only run on windows

Ha! I'm a long-time Windows user (know it very well at this point so it runs flawless etc. - except for the rare BSOD caused by NVIDIA drivers) at home, though I started on an Apple //c as a young kid and have been using an iPhone since they came out, etc. I only have a MacBook Pro because I work on UX design teams for jobs and, well, other designers feel they need to use Macs. :)

There is no "better" OS at this point, in my opinion. They both have +/-. But I'll stop there as that's a very very deep rabbit hole we don't need to go any further into! Heh.

I had a flickering studiomux icon thing going on once, was USB related but i can't remember how i solved it.. Have you tried the old trick of seeing if itunes recognises your iphone first?

iPhone plugs in and syncs in iTunes just fine. I read that if a system tray behaves like the studiomux console and vanishes from the system tray on hover, it's probably because windows can't communicate with it so it shuts it down (or it runs in the background.... but it doesn't seem to, since the vst plugins don't recognize a phone is connected).

• @vitocorleone123 said:

I’ve never had the slightest bit of trouble with asio4all. In fact it’s always performed better than the native drivers for the audio devices I’ve had.

I’ve also always had both installed at the same time so switching between them, as you might need to do temporarily when using the phone is just a matter of a few mouse clicks. That’s been my experience anyway. Ymmv.

• @wim said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

I’ve never had the slightest bit of trouble with asio4all. In fact it’s always performed better than the native drivers for the audio devices I’ve had.

I’ve also always had both installed at the same time so switching between them, as you might need to do temporarily when using the phone is just a matter of a few mouse clicks. That’s been my experience anyway. Ymmv.

Interesting. I'll have to make sure my daily PC backup is in effect and load asio4all alongside the focusrite asio drivers and give it a try. If it seems good (or good enough, anyway!), that could open the door to a future iconnect device for sure.

• edited August 2018