Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Samplebot as a sampler...passing by Modstep

edited August 2018 in Support and Feedback

Hello,
@Michael

I'd like to use SampleBot as a sampler controlled by Modstep.
I have 2 issues.

1.If I want to assign a note to a track in continuous (like a "regular" sampler that playing the sample if a note is played, and stop while releasing the note) I have a message "this controller is not compatible with the action"...I can set a play, but in this case, I'll have also to press a second time to stop the sample. Why can't I do that ?
But at some point I could assigned the way I wanted, I don't know why, but at some point or in a certain order, it accept it, even with this alert message.

2.While switching app, with a very simple pattern in Modstep playing (just one sample) it just lag as hell...

AUM is telling me I'm using 30% of CPU, and everything else, before introducing SampleBot was working perfectly fine...
So...Any clues ?
Thanks

Comments

1. You probably need to select the "Press or Release" trigger, rather than just the the Press (or Release) one.
    2. Huh, I don't know about that one. Could you do a screen recording so I can see exactly what you're talking about?
  • 1.Ah yes it works fine :)
    2.Well...I tried, but I don't get the sound or just sometimes...I'll try to make it again tomorrow...

• Sure - some questions, if you don't manage to make it work while recording: any glitches, or is it just a delay in triggering the sample? Is the delay constant? Does it happen just while switching, or does the delay remain the same afterwards?

• edited August 2018

Ok, in fact, it seems it's Modstep that can't handle the midi to SampleBot properly, but it's really weird, it's just two samples, two notes, same iPad, CPU at 30%, nothing crazy here...Then I did the same kind of simple loop into SampleBot, and there was not any problem then...except the usual glitch sometimes...
    So I think I'll use SB as some sort of patterns mode , but now, I've got a problem to start/stop the beast...

Could you add (...) a proper stop action and a proper play for the timeline ? Or there's something I don't get with the actions available...
    If I set a note to start it from Modstep, then while stopping the daw, I doesn't stop...obviously, he's waiting for the same note to stop, but of course it doesn't know when I'll press stop.

I guess for now I have to add a rule with StreamByter to translate a MMC stop to my note send by Modstep, that should work... :D
    But not totally as Mostep is looping at some point, so...it will stop on the next cycle of Modstep :dizzy:

I kind of expected a start/stop driven by Link also, is it normal that it doesn't react that way ?
    I'll see if program change work as expected also, to change my patterns....

• Could you add (...) a proper stop action and a proper play for the timeline ? Or there's something I don't get with the actions available...

Tried "Toggle Clock Pause" ?

I kind of expected a start/stop driven by Link also, is it normal that it doesn't react that way ?

SB does respond to Link Start/Stop (but not all apps send it out. Audiobus does, as does Loopy).

• edited August 2018

So to answer your question it’s a delay while switching apps, si one sample continues a bit, an other one is not in place, it’s like midi getting movements.
    I found out that it’s Modstep that “moves” a bit, but I don’t get why other apps driven by it doesn’t “move” (mainly drums apps, Elastic drums, Ruismaker, Ruis fm.)
    Creating patterns in Modstep would be easier...
    I’ll try out with Xequence and Cubasis to see how it reacts...

• MIchael are we getting new options like hold option?

• edited August 2018

@Michael Hmm...Ok, I tried to use BeatMaker 3 to do the same thing (drive his sampler from Modstep) and here, no "jumps" at all.
    I wonder if Samplebot is "missing" (or need some polish) some sort of midi buffer to be used like this ?

Good news is I finally found a utility to BM3 (in my workflow) :)

• I was thinking the same, yeah; I haven't designed SB for external sequencing, so it's not really optimised for that. That's going to change though

• @Frenq said:
    MIchael are we getting new options like hold option?

Yep