Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which is the best DAW for live backing tracks and why?

Obviously a matter of taste but after not getting totally confrotable with BM3 I’m wondering if Cubasis could be the solution.

I just need launch 8 backing tracks and apply some fx as keyboardist/dj of a new band I’m taking part. The usual answer will be Ableton Live I know but if I want avoid buy a laptop if possible...

Thoughts? Experiences?

Comments

• As a test of IOS functionality I'd look at the Audio Evolution Mobile App for $6. It's a lot like Auria Pro ($50) and Cubasis ($50). It has a few basic FX in the App and some better ones as reasonably priced from ToneBoosters. It also has the benefit of running on an iPhone. It's one of the top DAW's on Android so it's slowly adding all the Apple specific features that have made it's IOS adoption slow to catch on.

As it catches on the price disparity with Auria and Cubasis will be addressed. Hopefully pulling their price down and watching AEMS go up. Catch it now. Last month it was free with a $6 cost to get unlimited tracks and FX. Now it's $7 with unlimited tracks and basic FX.

As a keyboard player you'll also appreciate some of the custom soundfonts IAP's and the ability to you own load SF2 soundfonts. It can be the host App for any AUv3 or IAA App so loading a project can load a suite of instruments too on various MIDI Channels.

Any Apple iTunes app can be bought and refunded by checking the "The App didn't do what I thought it did." So, maybe drive them all one at a time until you fall in love with one. And you can later re-buy a rejected App.

• edited August 2018

Thanks @McDtracy I will take a look into it (and maybe embed some yt video to help others due I never heard about it)

Seems like cubasis/auria child as you pointed.

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio de Davy Wentzler
    https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/audio-evolution-mobile-studio/id1094758623?mt=8

Has midi controller support?
    I need it mainly for stage even I appreciate all the multitrack recording capabilities. Thanks!

• Couldn't get a refund for BM3...
    And I also think Cubasis or Auria pro (I think it does live time stretching that could be a plus in a live situation) sounds like good solution to have long audio tracks running. Not sure about using it live with midi controllers, maybe associated with AUM, that could make it better.

• @Dubbylabby said:

If I understand the question correctly I say YES for all IOS DAW's.
    However to map CC knobs, sliders, etc you might want to add another App for that.

You should also look into the AU/IAA Hosting Apps like AUM and
    AudioBus3 (our hosts here in this amazing IOS forum). They can load instruments quickly and AUM also has Recording/Playback Features.

But there's so much involved with MIDI controls I could be misleading you.

Oh yes. Don't forget Apple's Free GarageBand App which is also Universal.

• edited August 2018

@McDtracy said:

@Dubbylabby said:

If I understand the question correctly I say YES for all IOS DAW's.
    However to map CC knobs, sliders, etc you might want to add another App for that.

You should also look into the AU/IAA Hosting Apps like AUM and
    AudioBus3 (our hosts here in this amazing IOS forum). They can load instruments quickly and AUM also has Recording/Playback Features.

But there's so much involved with MIDI controls I could be misleading you.

Oh yes. Don't forget Apple's Free GarageBand App which is also Universal.

I know these and use most of them but I need remote midi control, not midi between them (ie Garageband live loops or volume aren’t midi mappable).

I don’t want to dable with AUM/AB3 until there is a proper AUv3 file/stem player and even so a solution like BM3/cubasis seems more stable from my POV...
    AUM could do the trick but is far from confortable...

Anyone using cubasis for this? I checked time ago dedicated arranger apps (prime and similar) and maybe someone has some experience with them?

I will prefer going the full hardware route but since ketrons are more expensive than macbook pros and I have the microarranger (as Mainstage or sf2 replacement) I need something to play the audio stems from the band. The midi side could be obviated. Even the timing/clock regular problems and realtime launching could be managed from the arranger but I need something recieving midi (clock and messages) running alongside and with some fx to djay them...

I hope it makes more sense now.

Thanks bros for your suggestions :heart:

• For example Multitracker 2.0 app does most of my requeriments minus fx...

• I like auria pro for this

• Audio Evolution came from the Amiga, not Android, it was ported to Android and now ported to IOS ;)

• @Turntablist said:
    Audio Evolution came from the Amiga, not Android, it was ported to Android and now ported to IOS ;)

Interesting. I saw it had 100,000+ installs on Google Play. But it goes all the way to Commodore Amiga's? I had an Amiga 1000 with Floppy Disks to load applications ("Fred Fish" anyone?).

I googled and saw the Audio Evolution version 4 announcement on an Amiga Forum and something about an OS4/Power PC version too or was that the chipset of the later Amiga's after Motorola fell out of use?

• OS4 is the so called current Amiga using ridiculously priced hardware, the actual new Amiga is Vampire and uses OS3.

There is still a full webpage for Audio Evolution Amiga
    http://www.audio-evolution.com/AE4/

• @vpich said:
    I like auria pro for this

How it performs? It’s stable and so...?

• @Dubbylabby said:

@vpich said:

yeah it is pretty stable and the included fx are great. compressors, eq's , buss compressors, etc. and it's a one stop shop. you can record your live performance as you do it and then mix it down.

...ahhh, just reading your post again,...you want to dj between tracks... this might not be the answer then. maybe check out some of the dj mix apps. that might be more what you need

• @vpich said:

@Dubbylabby said:

@vpich said:

yeah it is pretty stable and the included fx are great. compressors, eq's , buss compressors, etc. and it's a one stop shop. you can record your live performance as you do it and then mix it down.

...ahhh, just reading your post again,...you want to dj between tracks... this might not be the answer then. maybe check out some of the dj mix apps. that might be more what you need

Not necessay between them... just some ending fx before load the next ;)