Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Real time sequencer AUM?

Comments

• @midiSequencer said:

@wim said:
    From what I’m understanding, this is exactly the ticket. Just to be sure, will this workflow work?

1. Load the recorder in one host such as AUM.
    2. Record some midi.
    3. Save to a midi file
    4. Load the recorder in another host such as Cubasis
    5. Load the midi file just recorded
    6. Play back unaltered in Cubasis with looping via the pads

If so, then this is exactly what I hoped for, and from one of my favorite developers. B)

Also hoping the automatic state saving includes all loaded midi, and currently selected pad, playback settings, etc. so that opening a host project restores everything as much as possible to where it was left.

Preset saving of the same would be fantastic!

Thanks again a thousand times. :)

Almost. Its....

1. Load the recorder in one host such as AUM.
    2. Record some midi (to an internal buffer) - you can optionally quantise in realtime.
    3. Save internal buffer to a standard midi file (apps Documents folder)
    4. Share that .mid file to any app that recognises .mid files (e.g. Cubasis, AudioShare, email, iCloud etc)
    5. That app should either load up automatically or have the .mid file stored internally

You can also in my app

1. Either record a new midi take or load from file Documents into the buffer
      2.Apply some optional processing (e.g. Quantise)
    2. copy the buffer midi to one of the selected pads
    3. Play back unaltered from the pads (in sync with Link or Host tempo)
      5.Have options to modify the pad playback (non-destructively) - transpose, shorten/lengthen, etc

So its all about capture & store with a set of pads you can playback - with airplay you share the midi clip you recorded to any other app that recognises & accepts .mid files.

In use I see this being used in two ways:
    1) A quick recording of all midi so you can save & share
    2) Pads setup with midi to let you playback midi clips by just pressing a button (the pad itself)

So, you can’t just load a .mid file (previously recorded and processed in your app) into your own app and play it back? If so I think you’re missing something huge. Please consider the workflow I’m proposing and it’s potential usefulness.

Loading midi files into other apps is almost always a pain in the ass. Certainly it’s different and usually sub-optimal. What I really, really, really want is to be independent of that! I want to grab a performance, take it to any AUv3 midi host, and have it play back exactly as it was in the other app.

Please, please consider it. The workflow you describe is significantly less useful IMO. I can’t say I’m super-excited about it. I get so sick and tired of dealing with the crappy midi import ability of various hosts. I was hoping to get past that with this.

Even better if implemented with savable presets that would load the midi file(s) and settings onto the pads in one go.

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

If not, then I swear I’m going to write it myself and blow your app away. :p

... in about 10 years.

• @midiSequencer said:

@syrupcore said:
    When I look at the screenshot of Tony's new app I imagine 1) filling all 4 of those pads with variations of the same type of track (say 4 different bass lines) and 2) using a MIDI command to switch between them.

I'm looking at possible 16 pads - its just 4 for now, well 1 to prove I can get it working!
    But yes, the pad playback & settings will allow automation either using an AUParameter or a midi cc.

I reckon 4 is plenty. Keep it simple smarty.

16 (or 32 or 64) could also be great but I reckon 1) it's a different app/use case and 2) it would then need to be polyphonic (play back multiple pads at once, like Ableton or Launchpad, etc).

'Record and loop right away' is the main feature for me, personally. Everything else is gravy.

• Yes, If you can save the internal buffer as presets then perhaps you might be able to share the midi between hosts?
    I'd also be more keen on that than importing/exporting midi files :)

I also think 16 pads is a good number for a song structure mode.

• @syrupcore said:

@midiSequencer said:

@syrupcore said:
    When I look at the screenshot of Tony's new app I imagine 1) filling all 4 of those pads with variations of the same type of track (say 4 different bass lines) and 2) using a MIDI command to switch between them.

I'm looking at possible 16 pads - its just 4 for now, well 1 to prove I can get it working!
    But yes, the pad playback & settings will allow automation either using an AUParameter or a midi cc.

16 (or 32 or 64) could also be great but I reckon 1) it's a different app/use case and 2) it would then need to be polyphonic (play back multiple pads at once, like Ableton or Launchpad, etc).

'Record and loop right away' is the main feature for me, personally. Everything else is gravy.

Record and insta loop is the most important feature for me also.

• edited August 2018

@wim said:
    So, you can’t just load a .mid file (previously recorded and processed in your app) into your own app and play it back? If so I think you’re missing something huge. Please consider the workflow I’m proposing and it’s potential usefulness.

Loading midi files into other apps is almost always a pain in the ass. Certainly it’s different and usually sub-optimal. What I really, really, really want is to be independent of that! I want to grab a performance, take it to any AUv3 midi host, and have it play back exactly as it was in the other app.

Can an AUv3 even access the Files app directly? Particularly its own storage area? If so, +1 to what wim said. Especially this bit:

Even better if implemented with savable presets that would load the midi file(s) and settings onto the pads in one go.

• @syrupcore said:

@wim said:

Can an AUv3 even access the Files app directly? Particularly its own storage area? If so, +1 to what wim said. Especially this bit:

An AUv3 and its container app (the app you actually download from the App Store, which bundles the AUv3 plugin(s)) can share a common file storage. It's called "App Groups". That's the way AUv3's can implement their own preset system and save presets that are then available when using the plugin regardless of which host. Same goes for any kind of files, so it's fully possible for @midiSequencer to allow storing midi files in this storage space for reuse. The main container app could then have a simple file list of stored midi files with export/import abilities (via the iOS Files system, allowing access to AudioShare, iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc).

• ... and AudioShare is still the ultimate midi file repository. B)

• @charleso said:
    @midiSequencer
    Great and utterly missing app. This will make the AUM workflow complete!

Could I request for a percussion mode feature, making it possible to record multiple ‘overlapping’ taps on a single pad (externally or in the app). Technically this comes down to registering the note on messages without taking into account the note off messages. This is a common situation when fingerdrumming (consecutive fingertaps without lifting the fingers in beween), so is kind of a must for apps that use (external or onscreen) pads to input notes. Modstep and xequence have percussion modes, but a auv3 app would be so much more elegant to use in AUM.

Interesting idea - I wasn't thinking of using the pads to input midi. Will add it to my list

• @wim said:

Please, please consider it. The workflow you describe is significantly less useful IMO. I can’t say I’m super-excited about it. I get so sick and tired of dealing with the crappy midi import ability of various hosts. I was hoping to get past that with this.

You can load if you can get the .mid file to the apps Documents folder.

Looking at what you wrote I can see we were talking about different things. I was just talking about sharing the .mid file to other apps to import, you were talking about sharing the whole app (and all its recorded clips).

As the midi is stored in the apps own Document folder, running the app up in another host will of course have the same access to files.

As I have pads it is sensible to assume the Presets will cover the save/restore of these.

• @syrupcore said:

@midiSequencer said:

@syrupcore said:

aiming on getting 1 perfect & performant first!

• @[Deleted User] said:

I'm coding that insta loop now with the aim it will sync with the host or link for when it plays back.

• @midiSequencer said:

@[Deleted User] said:

I'm coding that insta loop now with the aim it will sync with the host or link for when it plays back.

excellent!

• @syrupcore said:

The Files app is interesting too - will add that support so you can use in folders.

Yes the presets will save the midi filenames - I don't think you can store files in the presets.

• @j_liljedahl said:

An AUv3 and its container app (the app you actually download from the App Store, which bundles the AUv3 plugin(s)) can share a common file storage. It's called "App Groups". That's the way AUv3's can implement their own preset system and save presets that are then available when using the plugin regardless of which host. Same goes for any kind of files, so it's fully possible for @midiSequencer to allow storing midi files in this storage space for reuse. The main container app could then have a simple file list of stored midi files with export/import abilities (via the iOS Files system, allowing access to AudioShare, iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc).

I'm currently implementing AU Presets (the + button in AUM) but not necessarily App Groups. Will look into that too.
    My AU view controller itself has the airplay pop-up rather than the app container.

• @wim said:
    ... and AudioShare is still the ultimate midi file repository. B)

airplay -> audio share shows you the midi file you just recorded too!

• @[Deleted User] said:

@syrupcore said:

+1 👍🏼

• @midiSequencer said:

@j_liljedahl said:

I'm currently implementing AU Presets (the + button in AUM) but not necessarily App Groups. Will look into that too.
    My AU view controller itself has the airplay pop-up rather than the app container.

I have not yet made any AUv3 plugin myself, but I was assuming App Groups was the only way to have a shared storage for the plugin. But you're saying that the standard app Documents folder can be used from the plugin? If so, that's great, as long as you don't need access to the files in the stand-alone container app.

• @j_liljedahl said:

I have not yet made any AUv3 plugin myself, but I was assuming App Groups was the only way to have a shared storage for the plugin. But you're saying that the standard app Documents folder can be used from the plugin? If so, that's great, as long as you don't need access to the files in the stand-alone container app.

Oh how we would all luv tha aufx space n dub for AU, just sayin 😉

• @breilly said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Oh how we would all luv tha aufx space n dub for AU, just sayin 😉

Of course.. it will come sooner or later :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

yes I just tested this out - Documents is unique so App Groups are necessary if you need to share.

• @midiSequencer :love: at all of it. You have my email if you need a tire kicker. :)

• @midiSequencer said:

@wim said:

You can load if you can get the .mid file to the apps Documents folder.

Looking at what you wrote I can see we were talking about different things. I was just talking about sharing the .mid file to other apps to import, you were talking about sharing the whole app (and all its recorded clips).

As the midi is stored in the apps own Document folder, running the app up in another host will of course have the same access to files.

As I have pads it is sensible to assume the Presets will cover the save/restore of these.

Yay! I’m stoked to hear this. Can’t wait. B)

• @syrupcore said:
    @midiSequencer :love: at all of it. You have my email if you need a tire kicker. :)

You're still on my beta list ;)

• Just an update - I now have midi record to playback in a loop with/without fixed length loops working on one pad.
    Now adding additional controls to improve this before I scale up to 4.

Bpm is curious - I can record host BPM but I'm not sure I can alter the host bpm from an AU - probably can from Link.

• Awesome man!!! SO looking forward to get this into my workflow! Love it already from your description sir!!!

• @midiSequencer said:

Bpm is curious - I can record host BPM but I'm not sure I can alter the host bpm from an AU - probably can from Link.

Tempo Division / Multiplication per pad might be an option here?

• @Samu said:

@midiSequencer said:

Tempo Division / Multiplication per pad might be an option here?

for playback yes (so you can play x2 speed say) - but my question above relates to recording bpm changes in realtime and playing them back - I can record them but not play them back to AUM say. Need to investigate some more

• @midiSequencer said:
    Just an update - I now have midi record to playback in a loop with/without fixed length loops working on one pad.
    Now adding additional controls to improve this before I scale up to 4.

Awesome! Totally gonna help the work flow, and thx for including “without fixed length”, fantastic for ambient jammin off the grid👍🏼

• edited September 2018

@breilly said:
    Awesome! Totally gonna help the work flow, and thx for including “without fixed length”, fantastic for ambient jammin off the grid👍🏼

yeah unlimited will just act as a recording - you press the record button to start/stop it(or automate it).

With a length dialled in it will record that many beats (or maybe bars I'm thinking) then auto load into the AU render part that can output the midi.

It also pads out the length to that recorded (so its a fixed beat length even if you only record 1 note). This way its easier to sync & easier to just drop into your tracks in other apps.