Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Real time sequencer AUM?

Comments

• @crony said:
    @j_liljedahl I meant the midi panel here that you don't have in the effect slot, but that might not have any sense at all... :D

That same MIDI panel will appear when you load a Music Effect, which can accept MIDI input. ;)

• edited August 2018

@crony said:
    @j_liljedahl I meant the midi panel here that you don't have in the effect slot, but that might not have any sense at

if the effect has midi functionality you will have midi options available.... Brambos beat me to it !! hihi

• Oups...thanks :)

• @crony said:
    Oups...thanks :)

its all good news man :-)

• And just so we have a screenshot for that as well... :)

• @RajahP said:

@Dawdles said:

Something special is happening here on Audiobus Forum which I never saw happen on KVR and other forums... We have great developer giving their opinion here which can only be a good thing for iOS music production...

Well said👍🏼 We have delvelopers asking users if such and such a fuction would be useful. Wow! I have a new outlook on humanity

• @midiSequencer said:

But what you are describing here is a daw app not a clip record/playback app - something like sony acid pro or maybe Genome?
    I've always liked that way of arranging but midiRecorder needs to do the basics first with a simple grid of pads.

Stickin to your plan nice👍🏼!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@brambos said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    @midiSequencer

Will the app have a low CPU footprint do you believe? Will it be possible for it to work from the AUfx slot in AUM at some point in the future maybe?

Why would you want it to run in the effects slot? It will not automatically receive MIDI from the 'upstream' apps, if that's what you're hoping to accomplish. You will always need to manually wire MIDI inputs into the plugin, regardless of whether it's placed in the instruments slot or the effects slot.

I would also like to tell you that a future update of AUM will have "midi-only" slots that can be used for MIDI plugins such as this, instead of wasting a whole audio channel strip for it. But yes, I want to keep MIDI routing fully flexible so you'd still need to tap the little button next to the node to choose where it receives MIDI from, there will be no automagic stream of MIDI flowing from top to bottom.

SWEET!🍒

• iOS music is driven by passion, there is no other explanation for that! And its precious!

• edited August 2018

@Dawdles said:

@Samu said:

@Dawdles said:

Everyone’s looking for different solutions to different problems. I’m just bitter cos there’s currently no multitrack (>multiple AU) pattern recording/sequencing/launching AU solution on iOS that allows you to program/switch multiple patterns/tracks simultaneously in a single, focused GUI ;)

Sounds like ModStep might fit the bill here even though it's not been update in a while :D
    (It can host the AUv3's too in case you want to cut down on app-switching and it can record the Plug-In audio too).

I should probably check out modstep again... never gelled with it in past, lots of aspects felt really clunky to setup and I also had lots of bugs etc...haven’t opened it since long before midi AU etc arrived, is it up to date with those kind of things? Stable now? As I remember it was pretty vanilla for sequencing, no probability or conditions etc, has it gotten more interesting in those areas over past year or so?
    Thanks

If you want to try something much simpler / more usable - try looking at Beatonal.

@midiSequencer you might want to have a look too.

It allows up to 4(I think) different tracks to be sequences. And it’s kind of a midi looper based on keyboard and rhythms like Figure.

I really like it, but no one talks about it much.

It’s not AU

• @j_liljedahl said:
    And just so we have a screenshot for that as well... :)

At first i though you posted a cameo of AUFX:Dub AU :) - but then i tested that the IAA version also shows the midi selector in AUM.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    @midiSequencer you might want to have a look too.

It allows up to 4(I think) different tracks to be sequences. And it’s kind of a midi looper based on keyboard and rhythms like Figure.

I really like it, but no one talks about it much.

It’s not AU

It the AUv3 midi bit I'm interested in now - writing my own version of MusicPlayer that can record & play (multiple tracks) at the same time. My recording is using Audiokit btw as its a nice wrapper for MusicSequence/MusicTrack and I need swift.

• @breilly this is a forum devs can get great feedback on design!

• @midiSequencer said:
    Might be good to have a record setting that says record 4 bars then playback in a loop automatically? So you set a fixed length - would need to add a visual clue (not just rely on the host display)....

Super duper trooper yes, please!

• @Dawdles said:
    This looks useful I guess but imho just prolongs the current issue of not being able to simultaneously switch multiple AU’s patterns from one sequencer.

An example could be a performance consisting of -
    Track 1 - Bass - Model d
    Track 2 - Ambience - Spacecraft
    Track 3 - Ambience - Dixie
    Track 4 - Lead - Tardigrain

Separate sequencer per AU is a bust. Can’t switch/mix and match patterns across all tracks simultaneously.

You can switch across several separate Rozeta sequences at once via patterns and MIDI messages. Just have to use the same message for each instance/pattern.

When I look at the screenshot of Tony's new app I imagine 1) filling all 4 of those pads with variations of the same type of track (say 4 different bass lines) and 2) using a MIDI command to switch between them.

• @Samu said:
    @midiSequencer Looking good :)

Can't help to wonder if it will include some kind of editing of the recorded clips?
    (Still drooling after the sketches you made of a piano-roll editor long, long time ago hehe).

This will a quite handy tool for recording/re-playing midi-clips and transposing them with the keyboard.
    Currently I'm just waiting for IKMultimedia to release the editor for the UNOSynth so I tweak it to the max.

A 'midi-looper' will be a perfect companion for it :)

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I hope it comes with some form of piano roll editor to correct mistakes. :smile: My piano playing sucks. :wink:

• Oh man @midiSequencer thank you for this! I can’t wait.

From my first quick looks at the GUI and from scanning the thread, this looks like exactly what I have been craving so much that I have been working on learning enough programming to do it myself if needed!

One thing especially hope is that this could be used to capture a midi performance in one host, then be used to play back that same sequence in another host with minimum hassle. Hopefully, just save, fire up the other host, load the plugin, load the saved file, and go.

It would be great if there was iCloud integration as well so that saved recordings could be picked up seamlessly on another device.

Thanks again for doing this. I so look forward to it. B)

• @midiSequencer said:

@Dawdles said:

Yeh it’s good news for some people, which is cool :) But for others it’s more like, ‘why only one track!?! ;) Not saying I wouldn’t find it useful for sketching a quick idea out, or for some minimal compositions. But in general...feels like a sideways step. If I wanna sketch a quick idea out I can use bm3...

It records multi (midi) channel - if I added a feature to 'split by channel' - so ch1 to track 1, ch2 to track 2 etc would that be helpful? You would then a) export as a multitrack midi file & b) be able to split the record across pads.

It should still be a 1 button record app - you setup your options before that - mostly so you can do multiple takes then choose which to discard say?

Very cool! The performance / looper side of this sounds intriguing, but all I really want is an ultra-lightweight multichannel MIDI recorder. Basically the MIDI equivalent of the built-in audio recording in AUM.

I want to be able to record my live jam performances as MIDI as well as audio, but I push my iPad to the limit, so when I try to fire up Auria to capture the MIDI I run out of headroom and everything falls apart.

Ideally this is really, really, really, really lightweight! ;)

• @aplourde said:

@midiSequencer said:

@Dawdles said:

Yeh it’s good news for some people, which is cool :) But for others it’s more like, ‘why only one track!?! ;) Not saying I wouldn’t find it useful for sketching a quick idea out, or for some minimal compositions. But in general...feels like a sideways step. If I wanna sketch a quick idea out I can use bm3...

It records multi (midi) channel - if I added a feature to 'split by channel' - so ch1 to track 1, ch2 to track 2 etc would that be helpful? You would then a) export as a multitrack midi file & b) be able to split the record across pads.

It should still be a 1 button record app - you setup your options before that - mostly so you can do multiple takes then choose which to discard say?

Very cool! The performance / looper side of this sounds intriguing, but all I really want is an ultra-lightweight multichannel MIDI recorder. Basically the MIDI equivalent of the built-in audio recording in AUM.

I want to be able to record my live jam performances as MIDI as well as audio, but I push my iPad to the limit, so when I try to fire up Auria to capture the MIDI I run out of headroom and everything falls apart.

Yep, this is exactly what i want for AUM too.

• @syrupcore said:
    When I look at the screenshot of Tony's new app I imagine 1) filling all 4 of those pads with variations of the same type of track (say 4 different bass lines) and 2) using a MIDI command to switch between them.<

and maybe a midi note to trigger those pads?

• edited August 2018

Don’t recall if it’s been said already, but overdub and also a fast drag’n’drop of the midi scenes between pads would be great...
    Also undo/redo

@midiSequencer

• @syrupcore said:
    When I look at the screenshot of Tony's new app I imagine 1) filling all 4 of those pads with variations of the same type of track (say 4 different bass lines) and 2) using a MIDI command to switch between them.

I'm looking at possible 16 pads - its just 4 for now, well 1 to prove I can get it working!
    But yes, the pad playback & settings will allow automation either using an AUParameter or a midi cc.

• edited August 2018

@Audiojunkie said:

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I hope it comes with some form of piano roll editor to correct mistakes. :smile: My piano playing sucks. :wink:

thats a different app (as its considered midi editing) - but I have some code for that already - here is it in action 4 years ago!
    This was the one @Samu alluded to earlier. Funnily enough thats called Midi Recorder - but only had the editing bit.
    I'd need to make that AUv3

• @wim said:
    Oh man @midiSequencer thank you for this! I can’t wait.

From my first quick looks at the GUI and from scanning the thread, this looks like exactly what I have been craving so much that I have been working on learning enough programming to do it myself if needed!

One thing especially hope is that this could be used to capture a midi performance in one host, then be used to play back that same sequence in another host with minimum hassle. Hopefully, just save, fire up the other host, load the plugin, load the saved file, and go.

It would be great if there was iCloud integration as well so that saved recordings could be picked up seamlessly on another device.

The idea is that it captures all midi messages from the input, records it directly to a Midi track in memory . You can then swipe the filename in the list to save that recording buffer to a .mid file (stored on the apps Documents folder), or share it using airplay (so iCloud ,audioShare app, email etc).

The pads are there to store tracks you recorded (or loaded) - with the intention of playing them back with/without loops, shortened/lengthened/transposed etc.

But the main purpose of the app is to be a sketchpad for you to record all midi so you can save/share it. That bit is all working now.

• @aplourde said:

Yes I'm going to keep the design of a single button to record to memory - you can setup options before then (e.g. sync method, start on key, max length, etc).
    The record button will be an AU Parameter too - so you can trigger this record to buffer remotely.

• @crifytosp said:
    and maybe a midi note to trigger those pads?

yes, we can look at different methods to activate each pad playback - plus the ability to chain them to play one after another.

• @crony said:
    Don’t recall if it’s been said already, but overdub and also a fast drag’n’drop of the midi scenes between pads would be great...
    Also undo/redo

Overdub is possible if I don't clear out the previous recording.
    Drag n drop - I would love to do, but it may be buttons for now.
    Not sure undo/redo is workable - maybe just for quantise - I'd have to give you options to pick old versions. I will keep it in mind though.

• @midiSequencer said:

@wim said:
    Oh man @midiSequencer thank you for this! I can’t wait.

The idea is that it captures all midi messages from the input, records it directly to a Midi track in memory . You can then swipe the filename in the list to save that recording buffer to a .mid file (stored on the apps Documents folder), or share it using airplay (so iCloud ,audioShare app, email etc).

The pads are there to store tracks you recorded (or loaded) - with the intention of playing them back with/without loops, shortened/lengthened/transposed etc.

But the main purpose of the app is to be a sketchpad for you to record all midi so you can save/share it. That bit is all working now.

From what I’m understanding, this is exactly the ticket. Just to be sure, will this workflow work?

1. Load the recorder in one host such as AUM.
    2. Record some midi.
    3. Save to a midi file
    4. Load the recorder in another host such as Cubasis
    5. Load the midi file just recorded
    6. Play back unaltered in Cubasis with looping via the pads

If so, then this is exactly what I hoped for, and from one of my favorite developers. B)

Also hoping the automatic state saving includes all loaded midi, and currently selected pad, playback settings, etc. so that opening a host project restores everything as much as possible to where it was left.

Preset saving of the same would be fantastic!

Thanks again a thousand times. :)

• edited August 2018

@wim said:
    From what I’m understanding, this is exactly the ticket. Just to be sure, will this workflow work?

2. Record some midi.
    3. Save to a midi file
    4. Load the recorder in another host such as Cubasis
    5. Load the midi file just recorded
    6. Play back unaltered in Cubasis with looping via the pads

If so, then this is exactly what I hoped for, and from one of my favorite developers. B)

Also hoping the automatic state saving includes all loaded midi, and currently selected pad, playback settings, etc. so that opening a host project restores everything as much as possible to where it was left.

Preset saving of the same would be fantastic!

Thanks again a thousand times. :)

Almost. Its....

2. Record some midi (to an internal buffer) - you can optionally quantise in realtime.
    3. Save internal buffer to a standard midi file (apps Documents folder)
    4. Share that .mid file to any app that recognises .mid files (e.g. Cubasis, AudioShare, email, iCloud etc)
    5. That app should either load up automatically or have the .mid file stored internally

You can also in my app

1. Either record a new midi take or load from file Documents into the buffer
      2.Apply some optional processing (e.g. Quantise)
    2. copy the buffer midi to one of the selected pads
    3. Play back unaltered from the pads (in sync with Link or Host tempo)
      5.Have options to modify the pad playback (non-destructively) - transpose, shorten/lengthen, etc

So its all about capture & store with a set of pads you can playback - with airplay you share the midi clip you recorded to any other app that recognises & accepts .mid files.

In use I see this being used in two ways:
    1) A quick recording of all midi so you can save & share
    2) Pads setup with midi to let you playback midi clips by just pressing a button (the pad itself)

• @midiSequencer
    Great and utterly missing app. This will make the AUM workflow complete!

Could I request for a percussion mode feature, making it possible to record multiple ‘overlapping’ taps on a single pad (externally or in the app). Technically this comes down to registering the note on messages without taking into account the note off messages. This is a common situation when fingerdrumming (consecutive fingertaps without lifting the fingers in beween), so is kind of a must for apps that use (external or onscreen) pads to input notes. Modstep and xequence have percussion modes, but a auv3 app would be so much more elegant to use in AUM.