Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to connect an iPad to a Vintage Korg MS20 ?

Hi!

I would like to connect my iPad Air 2 to a Vintage Korg MS20 from the 70ies, so that I could use sequencers like Fugue Machine, Quantum, Senode and others to generate sounds from the MS20.
Which hardware would you recommend?
And which protocol makes more sense? CV/Gate or MIDI?

Thanks!
Oli

Comments

• edited August 2018

Midi wasn't invented yet when the MS20 appeared on the scene ;)
    So it's CV/Gate or a Midi-to-CV converter - Expert Sleepers make such stuff.
    You can't abuse your iPad's audio output for that purpose because it's AC - and DC is required.
    It's that conversion to DC what the Expert Sleepers (and similiar boxes) do.
    ps: but you can send trigger signals (just some audio spikes) to the MS20 until you get a proper solution, which will be a lot of fun already.

• edited August 2018

@oli said:
    Hi!

I would like to connect my iPad Air 2 to a Vintage Korg MS20 from the 70ies, so that I could use sequencers like Fugue Machine, Quantum, Senode and others to generate sounds from the MS20.
    Which hardware would you recommend?
    And which protocol makes more sense? CV/Gate or MIDI?

Thanks!
    Oli

Well if it suits your workflow I believe the Arturia Keystep/beatstep Pro can output correct cv/gate for a MS20. Meaning you use midi from ipad to keystep/beatstep then keystep/beatstep send cv/gate to the MS20.

• Think Arturia stuff is the way to go but you also have that Kenton stuff: kentonuk.com/products/select/m-cvsel.shtml

• @oli sounds you’ve got a world of fun ahead. Enjoy the ride.

• Thanks to all for your answers and the heads up from kinkjin :)

Funny thing is, I own an Arturia Keystep, so I will check this out.
    The nicest thing would be to have a slim, little box or just a cable (or no cables! like over bluetooth, hehe), so the setup won´t look too messy.
    A friend told me, I should check this module by Expert Sleepers, because it´s also an USB Midi Host (don´t know what´s the advantage of that...) :
    http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh2.html
    And this CV.OCD thing here:
    https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi-to-cv-box/
    What do you think?
    Thanks!

• edited August 2018

@oli said:
    Thanks to all for your answers and the heads up from kinkjin :)

Funny thing is, I own an Arturia Keystep, so I will check this out.
    The nicest thing would be to have a slim, little box or just a cable (or no cables! like over bluetooth, hehe), so the setup won´t look too messy.
    A friend told me, I should check this module by Expert Sleepers, because it´s also an USB Midi Host (don´t know what´s the advantage of that...) :
    http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh2.html
    And this CV.OCD thing here:
    https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/cvocd-a-super-flexible-midi-to-cv-box/
    What do you think?
    Thanks!

I’d go with CV.OCD. Expert Sleepers is not standalone. Either is way more than you need for what you’re trying to do but there aren’t many more options and I don’t think any that would cost less than OCD or just use the Keystep. I’d start there.

• You can’t go wrong with Expert Sleepers but this type of thing goes well in a eurocrack set up, a usb midi host can send/receive midi and power something like a novation launch control without need for a PC.

You have a Keystep so you can already have a go at iPad midi to the MS20! 😎

• Beware, the MS-20 uses a different different pitch cv scale than most other synths. It uses hz/volt, rather than the usual volt/octave. It takes a special midi to cv converter, that has the option for hz/volt. Good luck!

• @Processaurus said:
    Beware, the MS-20 uses a different different pitch cv scale than most other synths. It uses hz/volt, rather than the usual volt/octave. It takes a special midi to cv converter, that has the option for hz/volt. Good luck!

It's terrible to see a dream painted and destroyed in such a short thread but that's what happens when you "way back" to the 70's, I guess.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai.

• edited August 2018

@Processaurus said:
    Beware, the MS-20 uses a different different pitch cv scale than most other synths. It uses hz/volt, rather than the usual volt/octave. It takes a special midi to cv converter, that has the option for hz/volt. Good luck!

Arturia Keystep/beatstep has option for MS20 cv/gate (Korg format) which is helpful :-) The jumpers on the back of the keystep must be changed accordingly.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Arturia Keystep/beatstep has option for MS20 cv/gate (Korg format) which is helpful :-)

And... The Dream is Back on Track!

• @McDtracy said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    Arturia Keystep/beatstep has option for MS20 cv/gate (Korg format) which is helpful :-)

And... The Dream is Back on Track!

👍