Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence bug(?) multi bluetooth

edited August 2018 in Support and Feedback

@SevenSystems it seems you may only connect an instrument to one other bluetooth device.
Actually, with AUM, running on 3 iPads, I can connect to the other 2, but in Xequence I can see only 1 iPad bluetooth output...

To reproduce the bug;

1.Switch on 3 IOS devices, running each of them AUM
2.On first IOS device connect using bluetooth AUM
3.On the 2 other devices "advertise" to get connected by the first device
4.Launch Xequence on "master" (with AUM connecting to the 2 other devices)
5.create a new instrument and see, there should be only one bluetooth connection available...

And, to me, this is "catastrophic" as midi arpegiators on some synths can't handle the regularity of midi events connecting the iPads by midi direct connections...Bluetooth is more accurate, so needed...

Comments

• edited August 2018

Argh...you can't have 2 types of clock sync on one external bluetooth also (one relative, and one absolute...)
    In fact depending on the external synth I'd need the two variations of these...

BTW, great feature this relative and absolute sync, never heard of that before...That's super cool :)

• I think this might be because the two devices have the exact same name (probably "iPad Bluetooth") and Xequence can't distinguish the two.

Can you try again by replacing one of the "slave" iPads with an iPhone? (you seem to have plenty iOS devices to choose from ;))

• edited August 2018

Yep, I did, and to me it's a confirmed bug...Sending you my screen shots.
    As far as I see, only one bluetooth connection is possible with Xequence...

I also thought about the name problem, and I did a reset on the iPads, set again different names of the iPads (as it was the case originally...but to double check..)

• @SevenSystems ok, I think the problem also with sending a clock to a midi track, to a bluetooth connection, is that it may result in double / triple etc...clock sending on each midi channel send by this type of connection.

In fact, it's not just about bluetooth, let's say you're sending 3 midi tracks to a midi interface, track 1 needs a relative clock, track 2 an absolute, and track 3 no clock at all...

• edited August 2018

I have never even considered sending MIDI sync via Bluetooth, that is just screaming "Problems!"... has anyone else ever tried this (maybe with apps other than Xequence as the master) and got usable results?

Double or triple clock shouldn't be a problem as long as it is a single Xequence instance sending the clock to its instruments, because it (theoretically) keeps track of what instruments receive clock and if several instruments share the same MIDI destination, it only sends it once. But if you suspect you get multiple clocks and can show me i.e. a MIDI monitor screenshot or something, I'll be happy to investigate.

Of course, if you have several Xequence instances running on separate devices and all send clock, there is no way for them to communicate this situation and thus you will get conflicts.

• AUM is doing quite good, I still manage to crash it if you do something really stupid like doubling the clock (immediate crash...)
    No proof atm, but I have a bad feeling about this... ;)
    And no, here I'd like to avoid "multiple instances thing" on different iPad, I plan to use Xequence as my main sequencer, then dispatch midi clips for Modstep, where it's running on 3 iPads, but that's for live situation....And here it's kind of solid solution...(yes yes ;) )