Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Usb hub school me

So i am assuming if i have a usb hub (novation audio bus) i am now opened up to a wider array (almost all?) choice if mid controllers, correct??

Comments

• Class compliant ones.

• edited August 2018

Yep, class compliant only same as before you got a hub, you just can use more of them at once now.

• @Dubbylabby said:
    Class compliant ones.

@Tarekith said:
    Yep, class compliant only same as before you got a hub, you just can use more of them at once now.

Thx!

• edited August 2018

@Tarekith said:

As Tarekith notes, only class compliant ones since you can't add drivers. The Novation will merely pass the usb data through.

I'd also search here or otherwise or post again if there is a specific unit you are looking at.

In my own testing of a usb hub and iPad, I've found quite a few that are 'class compliant,' in a sense, but are not fully ios compliant. Notes and ccs almost always work, but sometimes things like switching octaves does not work with iOS. But, as they should, those units fully work with a desktop/laptop without installing any drivers. I gathered through some Googling that they use a generic usb audio driver.

I can at least tell you the several I use that fully work:
    Akai MPD 218
    Akai MPK Mini mk2
    Keith McMillan softstep

• @Multicellular said:

@Tarekith said:

As Tarekith notes, only class compliant ones since you can't add drivers. The Novation will merely pass the usb data through.

I'd also search here or otherwise or post again if there is a specific unit you are looking at.

In my own testing of a usb hub and iPad, I've found quite a few that are 'class compliant,' in a sense, but are not fully ios compliant. Notes and ccs almost always work, but sometimes things like switching octaves does not work with iOS. But, as they should, those units fully work with a desktop/laptop without installing any drivers. I gathered through some Googling that they use a generic usb audio driver.

I can at least tell you the several I use that fully work:
    Akai MPD 218
    Akai MPK Mini mk2
    Keith McMillan softstep

Awesome thx. Yes over the years i have tried many along with much recearch.
    Do you know if the novation impulse or arturia keylab work well? (Im a powered hub)

• @breilly I know the impulse works. I have the 25key version. There is a video somewhere on my channel.

I can also confirm that M-Audio Axiom's work, launchpad pro, arturia minilab, korg trition Taktile, The FBV MK2 foot pedal. All work.

• @gmslayton said:
    @breilly I know the impulse works. I have the 25key version. There is a video somewhere on my channel.

I can also confirm that M-Audio Axiom's work, launchpad pro, arturia minilab, korg trition Taktile, The FBV MK2 foot pedal. All work.

Awesome thx! Buying the impuse 49.....Would like to assign sliders to adsr envelopes.

• I kind of want to get rid of my Axiom 49 and try and find a used Impulse 49.

• For controllers, I'm using:

Arturia Minilab I
    iRig Keys 37 Pro
    Keith McMillen K-Board
    Keith McMillen BopPad
    Korg nanoKontrol2
    Korg nanoPad2

All of these work both with and without the hub. I also have a Zoom H4n that I use as an audio interface and that only works with the hub. I have an Anker 7-port powered hub that works just fine.

• Most newer devices are class compliant. Most manufacturers list it on their site if it is or isn’t. Sometimes devices powered by USB may not get enough power from some hubs and you’ll need a powered hub in the chain. I happen to have the very first keyboard with built in USB MIDI from 2001 and it doesn’t work on iOS. Won’t work on Windows anymore either just Mac and Linux. In that case, I just use a 5pin to USB MIDI adapter. The majority of things made after 2010 are class compliant though.

• edited August 2018

@Multicellular said:
    Notes and ccs almost always work, but sometimes things like switching octaves does not work with iOS. But, as they should, those units fully work with a desktop/laptop without installing any drivers. I gathered through some Googling that they use a generic usb audio driver.

Any controller I’ve ever had does not send octave switch as MIDI data. Octave switch is always part of the internal workings of the controller to change what note values are being sent. iOS shouldn’t be reading octave switch unless it’s a CC parameter for octave on a synth oscillator or something. So, I wonder what those switches are really doing. Have you tried a MIDI monitor? Also, some things use NRPN instead of CCs and not everything can use NRPN (non registered parameter number).

• @DMan said:

@Multicellular said:
    Notes and ccs almost always work, but sometimes things like switching octaves does not work with iOS. But, as they should, those units fully work with a desktop/laptop without installing any drivers. I gathered through some Googling that they use a generic usb audio driver.

Any controller I’ve ever had does not send octave switch as MIDI data. Octave switch is always part of the internal workings of the controller to change what note values are being sent. iOS shouldn’t be reading octave switch unless it’s a CC parameter for octave on a synth oscillator or something. So, I wonder what those switches are really doing. Have you tried a MIDI monitor? Also, some things use NRPN instead of CCs and not everything can use NRPN (non registered parameter number).

The older Alesis VI25 was one. I did use a midi monitor on the Alesis and I got nothing with the octave switches. Unfortunately I can't remember which, but there was one other that had that behavior when I went and tested at Guitar Center. But yes most are definitely internal as they should be.