Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT - Video output from iPad pro

Ever since I got this shiny refurbished Ipad10.5, I've had in the back of my mind the following: This bad boy sports a graphics card that is 'supposedly' 2-4x as fast as my laptop... (2011 MBP w/ upgraded gpu).

1. What is the best way to send video out while also connecting my soundcard / midi etc? Would love to run some sort of visualizer along with my musical performance.

2. When is someone going to make a really interesting VJ type app? So far all I have found is TouchViz, which runs smooth as could be, but again, refer to #1.

I realize this isn't a video forum, but this is where I'm most active for iOS stuff, any tips ideas suggestions appreciado

Comments

• There are dongles to connect iPad to hdmi or vga appletv has worse lag than Bluetooth

Have a look at takete

• @BiancaNeve said:
    There are dongles to connect iPad to hdmi or vga appletv has worse lag than Bluetooth

Have a look at takete

That is what I thought... Takete looks okay, but I'd love something that you can build multi-stage video feedback networks with resizing and different blendmodes, fx etc between iterations of feedback. Someone will eventually nail this. Happy to consult any Dev's looking to make something in this realm...

TBH - the best would be a modular / node based system for this, with a nice array of not so complex tools you can creatively chain for more complex setups. Hopefully a Dev out there is working on a simplified Max/MSP/Jitter sort of environment, it would be so lovely on iOS!!

• Hopefully we'll get a more advanced toolset one day. You should also look into K-machine which can load GLSL shaders and does video out of hdmi and uses Link.

One way is to use two ipads, use bluetooth midi to receive from first ipad producing audio/midi and the midi pushes Touchviz so it should be pretty well in sync as bluetooth is pretty good. K-machine is Link based so can edit gfx clips in time so that would work without midi.

Not sure if when using the hdmi cable for video out you can output audio from the headphone jack, this might work in AB3 multiroute mode, might need to experiment.. :)

You can also get hdmi video/audio splitters so you can separate the audio stream from the video and push that into a sound card.

• edited August 2018

@BiancaNeve said:
    There are dongles to connect iPad to hdmi or vga appletv has worse lag than Bluetooth

Have a look at takete

But the OP asked for

@scottsunn said:

1. What is the best way to send video out while also connecting my soundcard / midi etc? Would love to run some sort of visualizer along with my musical performance.

So

airplay + cck midi

or

hdmi dongle + bluetooth midi controllers.

Since he/she asked for “soundcard” there is no choice... or there is a bluetooth soundcard not adding lag?

Video lag is workable if the user sets audio delay compensation and perform in headphones without delay but opposite IDK.

• I think the only realistic option for live, synced music and VFX is 2 iOS devices, one for audio/MIDI and one for video. Ableton Link and such should be able to keep the two devices in sync.

• Thanks for chiming in eh'ryone. I'll look into this a little later, just sync a laptop for now as there are way more visual tools out there for my old faithful mbp2011. I will check out K-machine though, just to see what sort of shader manipulation exists at present. The new Max/MSP comes out next month, looks pretty much like a lot of bees and their knees, or dogs and their bollocks, check the media: https://cycling74.com/products/new-max-version-8/