Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

RE-1 Virtual Tape Machine & Looper - Amazing for Dub

Comments

• @ka010 said:

@iamspoon said:
    @ka010 Looks and Sounds very good! Any slim chance of iOS10 compatibility?

Yes, next build will be iOS9+ again.

@Mark B said:

This is the amount of noise that builds up on its own. No input, just overdub on. All head faders playing and mix set to 100%

That would be due to electrical noise and mains hum which the moment are fixed at -75db I think. I could think of to options here:
    1. Disable them if overdub is engadged
    2. Add an option to turn them on/off

What would you guys prefer?

Always prefer option to turn on/off if not too difficult to implement.

• @ka010 said:

@iamspoon said:

@Mark B said:

This is the amount of noise that builds up on its own. No input, just overdub on. All head faders playing and mix set to 100%

That would be due to electrical noise and mains hum which the moment are fixed at -75db I think. I could think of to options here:

I like some noise to build in overdub. My vote is a backend switch setting for those who don’t like it. I don’t think it needs to be crowded into the main interface.

• @ka010 said:

@iamspoon said:

@Mark B said:

I like the noise. I think an option to disengage is preferable if it fits your UI. > @breilly said:

Could this be used as s simple looper in the aum effect slot?

@ka010 can someone explain how this would be used as realtime looper, like a loop pedal? The signal routed through the tape heads mean there is a delay on the looped signal. Any looping done on top of the audio coming out is then further delayed. Could there be a no-delay (sans latency) setting for one tape head as another spacing setting? This could solve the problem.

• @ka010 said:

I’d like an option to turn them off please. I’ve found this app is excellent for building seamless looping drones for a project i’m working so I’d like an option to keep them clean of additional noise.

• @skiphunt said:
    I just tried a quicky 7min session while screen recording. No noticeable heat change, but my battery dropped about a percentage per minute. Granted, the screen recording likely ate a fair bit of that up, and I also had Tumblr, TestFlight, Firefox w/3tabs, Safari w/11tabs, Mail, Notes, Photos, and AppStore running in the background too.

I’m going to try again later with all other apps closed down, but 1% per minute drain does seem excessive... even without any heat and all those other apps running while screen recording.

This was just loose and not so great, but here’s a little demo where you can see the app in action and watch the battery drain.

By the way... in the video I’m running a beta of apeMatrix and I accidentally revealed a couple of apeMatrix module goodies that are on the way ;) I was going to delete the video since it’s just a quicky impromptu session to show the app in action with almost no thought put into it, but I ask the apeMatrix dev and he was cool with letting it ride

• @ka010 said:

Cool thanks.

Probably an on/off toggle but I haven't tried it out yet as I'm on iOS10 : )

• @skiphunt said:

@oat_phipps said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I've been enjoying RE-1 but have a stupid question: how do you use it as simple looper? i.e. record a loop and stop the record process while having the loop continue to play (and have the input instrument still be audible so that you can play along with the loop.

It seems like I must be overlooking something obvious.

This is a common question so far. I think it might be a bug that the audio stops playback when you turn 'overdub' off. Can someone in touch with the developer pass this on? @skiphunt , maybe? I'll tag him here, too.

@ka010 : See potential bug above, please.

All you have to do is turn the input dial on the left side on the way down while overdub engaged. Your sample will continue to loop and your source will continue to play. Same if you load in a sample that you just want to loop with or without RE-1 effects. Just load it into RE-1 and turn input level to zero. Hit overdub and your sample will play without overdubbing anything more onto the loop.

Skip: Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. If you turn the input down, you won't hear your input source. So, you can't play along with the loop. I tried that before posting. I also don't think that is how it should work.

I am not sure what the intended behavior is, but it feels like the Overdub button should be toggling recording to the "loop". Right now, when you start recording a loop by engaging Overdub, it does what I would expect. When you press Overdub again to turn off the overdub, you stop hearing the loop entirely. If it kept the loop recording you just made that would solve the problem. As it is, the loop stops playing when you turn Overdub off and then starts playing again when you turn it on.

Currently, as far as I can tell, if you are creating a live loop by recording your input source, you can't play along with the loop (and have the input source heard) without adding to the loop. If overdub is on, your playing adds to the loop (as you'd expect) and if you turn off overdub, the loop stops playing. If you turn the input down, you simply (as expected) turn down the volume of your input source.

I hope that made sense.

• edited August 2018

I just bought it...but unfortunately something is wrong:
    1) I got too much noise and cracklings when I load it in an AUM AUv3 effect slot. I had to close/open the AUM session. (1 channel session)
    2) the tape heads wasn’t moving (play back visual effect)...closed/open AUM session and worked.

Generally various malfunctions (in AUv3 effect mode)...that seem to go only after relaunching AUM or ER-1.

(iPad Pro 10.5//11.4.1)

Am I doing something wrong?

• @YannisHatzi said:
    I just bought it...but unfortunately something is wrong:
    1) I got too much noise and cracklings when I load it in an AUM AUv3 effect slot. I had to close/open the AUM session. (1 channel session)
    2) the tape heads wasn’t moving (play back visual effect)...closed/open AUM session and worked.

Generally various malfunctions (in AUv3 effect mode)...that seem to go only after relaunching AUM or ER-1.

(iPad Pro 10.5//11.4.1)

Am I doing something wrong?

If you have Link Transport turned on, the effect only works while AUM is playing. Not sure otherwise.

• @ka010 said:

@iamspoon said:

@Mark B said:

I would love to see a Spring Reverb added to it..... Bringing it up to the RE301

• edited August 2018

@espiegel123 said:

@skiphunt said:

@oat_phipps said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I've been enjoying RE-1 but have a stupid question: how do you use it as simple looper? i.e. record a loop and stop the record process while having the loop continue to play (and have the input instrument still be audible so that you can play along with the loop.

It seems like I must be overlooking something obvious.

This is a common question so far. I think it might be a bug that the audio stops playback when you turn 'overdub' off. Can someone in touch with the developer pass this on? @skiphunt , maybe? I'll tag him here, too.

@ka010 : See potential bug above, please.

All you have to do is turn the input dial on the left side on the way down while overdub engaged. Your sample will continue to loop and your source will continue to play. Same if you load in a sample that you just want to loop with or without RE-1 effects. Just load it into RE-1 and turn input level to zero. Hit overdub and your sample will play without overdubbing anything more onto the loop.

Skip: Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. If you turn the input down, you won't hear your input source. So, you can't play along with the loop. I tried that before posting. I also don't think that is how it should work.

I am not sure what the intended behavior is, but it feels like the Overdub button should be toggling recording to the "loop". Right now, when you start recording a loop by engaging Overdub, it does what I would expect. When you press Overdub again to turn off the overdub, you stop hearing the loop entirely. If it kept the loop recording you just made that would solve the problem. As it is, the loop stops playing when you turn Overdub off and then starts playing again when you turn it on.

Currently, as far as I can tell, if you are creating a live loop by recording your input source, you can't play along with the loop (and have the input source heard) without adding to the loop. If overdub is on, your playing adds to the loop (as you'd expect) and if you turn off overdub, the loop stops playing. If you turn the input down, you simply (as expected) turn down the volume of your input source.

I hope that made sense.

espigel123,

I tried this to verfiy before I posted it and it worked as I described.

Here's what I did and you can tell me if that's what you're trying to do as well.

Loaded RE-1 into the fx slot of AUM or apeMatrix or AB3. I used AUM for this test.

Then added Swarplug in the source input. Selected a sequence and hit play.

Started overdub in RE-1 and got my 4 bar loop, then stopped overdub, turned input for RE-1 all the way down on left side, then adjusted all the effects in RE-1 that I wanted in RE-1 with overdub engaged BUT with input turned all the way down. This doesn't effect the Swarplug source still playing.

At this point, I'm hearing the RE-1 4-bar loop playing with effects via overdub engaged with no input dialed in. AND, I'm hearing my original Swarplug still playing. Both playing at the same time and no more overdubbing as long as RE-1 overdub input is turned all the way down.

I can disengage my Swarplug app in the input slot, the RE-1 Swarplug loop with effects still playing. I can change the source Swarplug to another sequence without effecting my Swarplug loop as long as the input in the RE-1 interface is turned all the way town... essentially, playing along with the loop without overdubbing to it.

If I swap out the source in the same channel for something else, you can't play along with the loop, but you could add another channel in AUM/apeMatrix/AB3, etc. and play along with it that way.

• @skiphunt : if I understand you correctly, you are using an input source that is audible independent of its path through RE-1 -- is that correct? You are hearing the Swarplug's output from a parallel path?

@gmslayton posted a useful video showing a setup with AUM that accomplishes what I want. By bussing into RE-1 pre-fader rather than using RE-1 as an Insert Effect -- and then using the send bus level to control routing the input source into RE-1.

I can make that work -- it still seems like a bug to me that turning overdub off stops the loop playing.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @skiphunt : if I understand you correctly, you are using an input source that is audible independent of its path through RE-1 -- is that correct? You are hearing the Swarplug's output from a parallel path?

@gmslayton posted a useful video showing a setup with AUM that accomplishes what I want. By bussing into RE-1 pre-fader rather than using RE-1 as an Insert Effect -- and then using the send bus level to control routing the input source into RE-1.

I can make that work -- it still seems like a bug to me that turning overdub off stops the loop playing.

The original source in the same AUM channel continues to play. In this case I was using the SwarPlug AU app. The loop continues to play. I disengage the Swarplug and re-engage... still plays independently of the recorded/overdubbed loop without overdubbing more as long as the input is down.

However, if I changed my source in the same AUM channel, it will not play. The RE-1 loop dominates.

But yeah, I had a quick skim of audiodabbler's video and that method will give you more control in AUM. You could do it even easier in apeMatrix because RE-1 continues to play like an instrument even when nothing else is routed to it.

• I was sent a beta test of the new version. It appears the dev has already isolated the heat issue (iPad pro’s and their gpu processing) and mitigated it to a point that I would consider no longer a concern. The only heat this will be generating from now on is on my beats.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @skiphunt : if I understand you correctly, you are using an input source that is audible independent of its path through RE-1 -- is that correct? You are hearing the Swarplug's output from a parallel path?

One question is if running with Overdub on, even with the Input turned down, will continually add noise?

There's discussion above about a way to turn this noise off, but I like the idea of noise being added while you're recording / overdubbing. However, I don't want to keep adding noise to a loop that is just playing back. Therefore, having Overdub just toggle the recording state and keeping the loop playing would be the ideal.

• edited August 2018

Unfortunately too complex routing and workflow...removed all the fun and spontaneity this app could give.
    Not very handy for live jamming with friends (or else) and not for everyone (at least for a newbie like me). I really wanted to love this app. Great effort tho! Cheers!

• +1 for the noise option.

Like this app a lot.

• Very buggy app, unusable really, was loading at full output volume and overloading horrendously . Controls very sticky and jumpy. Timing was questionable at best. Then it crashed completely ! In a screeching cacophony! It wasn’t ready for release. It looks great
    But that is about all. I just don’t understand the videos that come out saying how amazing it is? When it’s simply not usable. I guess they get the apps for free and have to make content.
    Got a refund.

• @AndyPawlak said:
    Very buggy app, unusable really, was loading at full output volume and overloading horrendously . Controls very sticky and jumpy. Timing was questionable at best. Then it crashed completely ! In a screeching cacophony! It wasn’t ready for release. It looks great
    But that is about all. I just don’t understand the videos that come out saying how amazing it is? When it’s simply not usable. I guess they get the apps for free and have to make content.
    Got a refund.

You do have a point. There's a great app under there, and certainly this isn't the only guilty developer, but it's a shame that (me included) we've been trained to expect bugs, put up with them, and wait for their fixes.

• @oat_phipps said:

@AndyPawlak said:
    Very buggy app, unusable really, was loading at full output volume and overloading horrendously . Controls very sticky and jumpy. Timing was questionable at best. Then it crashed completely ! In a screeching cacophony! It wasn’t ready for release. It looks great
    Got a refund.

You do have a point. There's a great app under there, and certainly this isn't the only guilty developer, but it's a shame that (me included) we've been trained to expect bugs, put up with them, and wait for their fixes.

I pay $5 for the app as it looks like a cool FX that is AU and a bit different to others of its type. I let the developer know what bugs I hit. The price goes up after things get polished up.

No complaints!!!

• From a pure R&D standpoint I see why devs are in a hurry sometimes to get these apps released. If you’re a small developer, it’s you coding by yourself. For, what, months or more? All of that time testing, revising, testing, building, rebuilding, etc. no feedback except yourself. Then you get your beta team, then they stop finding stuff, or they can’t follow-through and drop off the project. More testing for you when you really need more eyes on the app. At some point, you need to get this thing in front of more people, more workflows, more apps colliding with your app. Maybe you need to recoup financially, emotionally, or maybe just move on to the next phase of the project.

It’s not like we are paying Boeing prices here. I can deal with bugs for these prices, knowing that most of these folks (the developers and this dev in particular) are really into making great products and will.

• @kinkujin said:
    From a pure R&D standpoint I see why devs are in a hurry sometimes to get these apps released. If you’re a small developer, it’s you coding by yourself. For, what, months or more? All of that time testing, revising, testing, building, rebuilding, etc. no feedback except yourself. Then you get your beta team, then they stop finding stuff, or they can’t follow-through and drop off the project. More testing for you when you really need more eyes on the app. At some point, you need to get this thing in front of more people, more workflows, more apps colliding with your app. Maybe you need to recoup financially, emotionally, or maybe just move on to the next phase of the project.

It’s not like we are paying Boeing prices here. I can deal with bugs for these prices, knowing that most of these folks (the developers and this dev in particular) are really into making great products and will.

Will artists start releasing their albums with bugs now that physical media has all but disappeared? ('Oh we'll be patching that second guitar solo, our users requested more pinch harmonics..hold tight for the update').

TO BE CLEAR: I am not drawing a parallel in anyway between music-making and coding. Just riffin' off the cuff.

• For others with an IPad Pro....

I am using the newest beta which has helped the overheating issue in Cubasis. Now in Cubasis, the app doesn’t overheat or drain the battery so quickly.

I’m still having some issues when used in audiobus as an au or iaa, however. The center gets hot pretty quickly, (but the heat doesn’t creep out to the edges of the iPad, like before). Also, battery still drains VERY quickly in audiobus.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @AndyPawlak said:

@kinkujin said:
    From a pure R&D standpoint I see why devs are in a hurry sometimes to get these apps released. If you’re a small developer, it’s you coding by yourself. For, what, months or more? All of that time testing, revising, testing, building, rebuilding, etc. no feedback except yourself. Then you get your beta team, then they stop finding stuff, or they can’t follow-through and drop off the project. More testing for you when you really need more eyes on the app. At some point, you need to get this thing in front of more people, more workflows, more apps colliding with your app. Maybe you need to recoup financially, emotionally, or maybe just move on to the next phase of the project.

I guess it’s a different culture , studio professionals work to exact degrees, there are no half measures. You only sleep when it’s perfect.

Studio professionals don’t have to worry about the music crashing on an exotic combination of battered 6 year old playback hardware and a Nepalese brand of headphones. They can simply dismiss the ‘muddy mix’ as a subjective thing.

• @Dawdles said:

@gusgranite said:

@oat_phipps said:

@AndyPawlak said:
    Got a refund.

I pay $5 for the app as it looks like a cool FX that is AU and a bit different to others of its type. I let the developer know what bugs I hit. The price goes up after things get polished up.

No complaints!!!

Is this dev generally on point with sorting fixes? If so I’ll risk it and buy at the intro price.

Absolutely! Take a look at the Volt version history.

• @brambos said:

Studio professionals don’t have to worry about the music crashing on an exotic combination of battered 6 year old playback hardware and a Nepalese brand of headphones. They can simply dismiss the ‘muddy mix’ as a subjective thing.

Haha, so true 🤪😂

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ka010 can someone explain how this would be used as realtime looper, like a loop pedal? The signal routed through the tape heads mean there is a delay on the looped signal. Any looping done on top of the audio coming out is then further delayed. Could there be a no-delay (sans latency) setting for one tape head as another spacing setting? This could solve the problem.

Yep, looking into adding an option for that.

@kinkujin said:

Thank you, you nailed it!

@brambos said:

Exactly.

• @gusgranite said:

@Dawdles said:

@gusgranite said:

@oat_phipps said:

@AndyPawlak said:
    Got a refund.

No complaints!!!

Is this dev generally on point with sorting fixes? If so I’ll risk it and buy at the intro price.

Absolutely! Take a look at the Volt version history.

+1!