Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

RE-1 Virtual Tape Machine & Looper - Amazing for Dub

Comments

• @studs1966 said:
    Do people remember AUFX Dub?...... That is still a good Dub Box....

Yeah great app, would be better as an AU though.

Not sure if it does the same level of degradation as the new one though, as I haven’t got the new one to compare.

• @MonzoPro said:

@studs1966 said:

Not sure if it does the same level of degradation as the new one though, as I haven’t got the new one to compare.

Yeah, this RE-1 app seems to do everything I want, but doesn't yet support iPhone. I'd like to find something as good as this, but supporting iPhone and in AU format. :smile:

• I wonder how it co> @MonzoPro said:

@studs1966 said:

Wasn’t the Dev going to make all his AUFX apps AU?.... Think it was after he made AUM?..... Now gone all quiet..... Or have I got it wrong?.....

• @Audiojunkie said:
    Are there any existing AU apps for iPhone currently existing that can create the "dub" echo like this one?

Italizer from the same developer and DubStation 2 from Audiodamage come to mind.

• @Samu said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    Are there any existing AU apps for iPhone currently existing that can create the "dub" echo like this one?

Italizer from the same developer and DubStation 2 from Audiodamage come to mind.

Cool! I forgot about DubStation 2! I have this app already! That should get me by! :-) Thanks!

• I just tried a quicky 7min session while screen recording. No noticeable heat change, but my battery dropped about a percentage per minute. Granted, the screen recording likely ate a fair bit of that up, and I also had Tumblr, TestFlight, Firefox w/3tabs, Safari w/11tabs, Mail, Notes, Photos, and AppStore running in the background too.

I’m going to try again later with all other apps closed down, but 1% per minute drain does seem excessive... even without any heat and all those other apps running while screen recording.

This was just loose and not so great, but here’s a little demo where you can see the app in action and watch the battery drain.

• What is all this talk about 'dub'? I've always just called a delay a delay. Wouldn't any delay be good for 'dub'? Or are you talking about a specific music style or genre? I've always been at a loss over this.

• edited August 2018

@studs1966 said:
    I wonder how it co> @MonzoPro said:

@studs1966 said:

Wasn’t the Dev going to make all his AUFX apps AU?.... Think it was after he made AUM?..... Now gone all quiet..... Or have I got it wrong?.....

He’s said it’s on the list today in another thread, but doesn’t seem top priority. It’d be nice, but I’m not complaining as his other apps are essential for me, and so happy he concentrates on those.

• @Audiojunkie said:

@MonzoPro said:

@studs1966 said:

Yeah, this RE-1 app seems to do everything I want, but doesn't yet support iPhone. I'd like to find something as good as this, but supporting iPhone and in AU format. :smile:

It does sound very good in the vids, pretty sure I don’t have anything else that would create the same effect.

Hope the issues are sorted soon.

• @oat_phipps said:
    What is all this talk about 'dub'? I've always just called a delay a delay. Wouldn't any delay be good for 'dub'? Or are you talking about a specific music style or genre? I've always been at a loss over this.

Enlighten me too in this regard please. I don’t get it.

Anyways I have dub delay from Audiodamage but RE-1 is my new favorite. I was never really happy with dub station or how is it called.
    We don’t have many delays on iOS, haven’t we?!?!

• edited August 2018

@david_2017 said:

@oat_phipps said:
    What is all this talk about 'dub'? I've always just called a delay a delay. Wouldn't any delay be good for 'dub'? Or are you talking about a specific music style or genre? I've always been at a loss over this.

Anyways I have dub delay from Audiodamage but RE-1 is my new favorite. I was never really happy with dub station or how is it called.

I think when people say dub they mean dub reggae, one of the best musical styles ever created by some crazy jamaican geniuses (lee perry amongst others)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Throw in another complaint for battery drain. I went from 95% to 82% in 10 minutes tops.

That's worse than Model 15. It's a Gadget-level battery sucker, which is the most severe I'Ve encountered.

Dream: Kai figures out the issue, passes along the secret to Korg. All is well with the world.

well Kai says he has rewritten the animations manually, probably to circumvent apple core animation and it will be a lot better. You can tell its the gui causing the prob , if you operate the app in the background the heat disappears quickly. I’ll suggest he does a bit of moonlighting for Korg, then Gadget will be a ‘cool’ app once more..

• edited August 2018

@fattigman said:

@david_2017 said:

@oat_phipps said:

I think when people say dub they mean dub reggae, one of the best musical styles ever created by some crazy jamaicans geniuses (lee perry amongst others)

Hm, is that it? Strange. I still think a delay is a delay. It's like THE staple effect after reverb in all genres of music, don't get how it has such a strong 'dub association.

RE-1 inspired me to reexperiment with Kosmonaut. Really like the RE-1, but Kosmonaut's getting me what I want out of the looper. It's easy to dial in a level on the looper that stays constant, which is the big problem for me, and the sound degradation is much more of a slow degradation. They're different things to be sure, but Kosmonaut wins this aspect for me.

• Hey guys, I've been meaning to weigh in on this sooner but I wanted to take some time to look into this whole heat/battery situation first.

So, here's whats happening. First of all, there does not seem to be a problem in the sense that the app doesn't work the way it should. That said, as some reported, it can generate an unusual amount of heat in some cases. Responsible for this, as some may have guessed, is the large amount of high frame rate animations which is essentiall running all the time, if the UI is visible that is.
    So, if you want to verify this, simply put the app into the background or hide the UI otherwise and you should see a noticable cooldown.

Now, I'm not entirely sure why these animations appear to be more ressource intensive on some devices than on others but it may be a bug in Apples animation framework, I'm still investigating.

Regardless, I did spent most of the day replacing that code with a manual approch which does appear to give substiantially better results. A beta is currently waiting for review and should be available by tomorrow, those affected are welecome to check out the beta.

• @oat_phipps said:

Jamaican style of music developed in the late 60's / early 70's by the likes of King Tubby and Lee Scratch Perry. Tape was THE medium and defined the sound. Tape delay and spring reverbs are the standout effects. It was the first music (aside from maybe some early electronic pioneers like Raymond Scott and les paul) to wildly exploit tape echo. certainly the first genre to do so.

Digital Dub came around in the 80's and obviously there are a million subgenres that have spun out, most of them not capturing the raw, adventurous and creative spirit of the original innovators imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_music

• @oat_phipps said:

@fattigman said:

@david_2017 said:

@oat_phipps said:

I think when people say dub they mean dub reggae, one of the best musical styles ever created by some crazy jamaicans geniuses (lee perry amongst others)

Hm, is that it? Strange. I still think a delay is a delay. It's like THE staple effect after reverb in all genres of music, don't get how it has such a strong 'dub association.

Well, a synth is a synth and a guitar a guitar but they still sound different. In my mind at least a dub delay in the most classical sense is a tape delay. Simply because that's what they used to make dub back in day. Much like spring reverbs (on a snare for instance), they are what creates that typical dub vibe.

• Thank for checking in @ka010 and for the fast response!

• @palm said:

@oat_phipps said:

Jamaican style of music developed in the late 60's / early 70's by the likes of King Tubby and Lee Scratch Perry. Tape was THE medium and defined the sound. Tape delay and spring reverbs are the standout effects. It was the first music (aside from maybe some early electronic pioneers like Raymond Scott and les paul) to wildly exploit tape echo. certainly the first genre to do so.

Digital Dub came around in the 80's and obviously there are a million subgenres that have spun out, most of them not capturing the raw, adventurous and creative spirit of the original innovators imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_music

Thanks, i understand the connotation now.

• Number 5 in paid apps in the UK App Store now. Games have practically disappeared from the list! Music apps are back. Weird!

• edited August 2018

@skiphunt said:

@Cib said:

@Samu said:

@skiphunt said:

And, of those who sit it out and miss the launch sale... IMO it’s absolutely a bargain at the $10 it’ll go up to Sept 1st :)

Guess we'll need more demos of it then as Dougs demo did NOT sell it to me and that's just about the only one out there...

Agree. Interested (if there will be an iPhone version as well maybe) but while $10 intro is nice i also can get something like U-He Colour Copy for $50 which is in another league.
    I repeat often but i still don‘t get why these apps get released without proper demos, videos and tutorials.
    Looks nice but yeah....nice isn‘t enough in the saturated market.

It's actually a $5 intro. :) Goes up to $10 Sept 1st.

I don't think the tape looper market sector for iOS is saturated at all. There's FlyTape and the Klevgrd one. Nice, but they're more focussed on the emulation and fx. I can use the iDensity AU as an effective looper, but not as much control, as it's mostly focussed on the granular aspects. Revisited Humbletune's Nils as a looper, but it's not AU and it's a bit quirky to get a handle on the export/import of samples. Brambos' Kosmonaut is nice for looping, but it's mostly focussed on the fx part and not so much of the tape looping part.

So, unless there's one I missed, that hardly seems saturated.

There is the Tape Delay in Cubasis, which I really like but is sort of a random entity....
    There's also Echo Pitch: all the demos for it sound like Robert Fripp, but I could never make behave at all.

• @fattigman said:

@david_2017 said:

@oat_phipps said:

I think when people say dub they mean dub reggae, one of the best musical styles ever created by some crazy jamaican geniuses (lee perry amongst others)

I was hoping that it the Dev could include a Spring Reverb?..... Then you can get the “King Tubby” sound...

• @studs1966 said:

@studs1966 said:

Although @j_liljedahl is top dev when talking about audio apps and did make amazing things (AUM to recall one), it's unclear if all those things that are promised will going happen soon. Nearly more than 2 years ago he promised to implement LINK into Sector so far this did not happen. I read somewhere he's now daddy and this also takes a lot of his time. Understandable ;)

• @greengrocer said:

@studs1966 said:

@studs1966 said:

Although @j_liljedahl is top dev when talking about audio apps and did make amazing things (AUM to recall one), it's unclear if all those things that are promised will going happen soon. Nearly more than 2 years ago he promised to implement LINK into Sector so far this did not happen. I read somewhere he's now daddy and this also takes a lot of his time. Understandable ;)

Plus, he's obviously a driven and idea-filled guy, and those usually like to keep moving forward, despite their best intentions. Would be pleasantly surprised if it ever happens.

• @oat_phipps said:

Dub is a genre of music[2] that grew out of reggae in the 1960s, and is commonly considered a subgenre,[3] though it has developed to extend beyond the scope of reggae. Music in this genre consists predominantly of instrumental remixes of existing recordings[4] and is achieved by significantly manipulating and reshaping the recordings, usually by removing the vocals from an existing music piece, and emphasizing the drum and bass parts (this stripped-down track is sometimes referred to as a riddim). Other techniques include dynamically adding extensive echo, reverb, panoramic delay, and occasional dubbing of vocal or instrumental snippets from the original version or other works. It was an early form of popular electronic music.[5] The Roland Space Echo was widely used by dub producers in the 1970s to produce echo and delay effects. --Wikipedia

For me, I associate it especially with long extended never ending echos like the Roland Space Echo. :smile:

• SECTOR syncs perfectly by IAA sync

• I've been enjoying RE-1 but have a stupid question: how do you use it as simple looper? i.e. record a loop and stop the record process while having the loop continue to play (and have the input instrument still be audible so that you can play along with the loop.

It seems like I must be overlooking something obvious.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @studs1966 said:

@fattigman said:

@david_2017 said:

@oat_phipps said:

I was hoping that it the Dev could include a Spring Reverb?..... Then you can get the “King Tubby” sound...

Yeah. this is one Auv3 that just doesn't exist. there are some good reverbs, but none that does a spring. Maybe when tonestack makes it over, I'll use that, but that spring didn't sound very good to me. Personally, i'd be more than happy with a convolution Auv3, but a convincing emulation along the lines of like Springbox is what I'm dreaming of.

for now I'm using Mobile Convolution IAA, but it crashes pretty regularly :(

• @Audiojunkie said:

@MonzoPro said:

@studs1966 said:

Virsyn Tap Delay

• @studs1966 said:

Yes it is!