Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

RE-1 Virtual Tape Machine & Looper - Amazing for Dub

Comments

• Feels kinda good I'm starting to be able to control my app-o-holism and not get 'everything' that gets released.
    Soon the lust for the 4Pockers things will fade and I already have a few tape-saturators to boot.

• not much luck in Audiobus, both standalone and AU. fine with AUM

• @paradiddle said:
    Anybody tested this? Already found a bunch of bugs in the standalone and the au version.

Please report them to the dev if you haven't already done so.

• @Samu said:
    Feels kinda good I'm starting to be able to control my app-o-holism and not get 'everything' that gets released.
    Soon the lust for the 4Pockers things will fade and I already have a few tape-saturators to boot.

It’s not for everyone. Not a tweaker heavy app either, for those who like tinkering more... more of the intuitive and get right in there to use sorts of apps.

Looks like the 50% launch sale goes until Sept 1st, so over a week more for those who want to sit it out a bit longer. :)

I still have not been able to reproduce the heat/battery issue a few have reported, but the dev has and he is on the case. Might be related to the animation.

I’ve got a very thin, mostly plastic cover on mine that shouldn’t be shielding much, but I’m gonna pop it out later and see if I can notice any extra heat. Definitely no change in battery behavior. The dev said the 15min tests I did yesterday should’ve revealed it if I too had the problem, but it didn’t. Runs perfect and no issues other than I’ve yet to get the link transport working with apeMatrix. Works perfectly with AUM.

• @ALB said:
    It crashes pretty regularly in standalone for me, especially trying to use the user imported samples, and I can't figure out how to get the user samples from standalone into the AU version. That said, I really like the sound and the looping function is pretty mesmerizing. Hoping that the bugs get worked out...

+1 same here

• @Samu said:
    Feels kinda good I'm starting to be able to control my app-o-holism and not get 'everything' that gets released.

I know that feeling :)

• Although I’m not experiencing any issues myself, I can say it is my experience that this is an obsessed, perfectionist and dedicated developer. 100% confident that any possible rough edges will be smoothed out quickly. It just launched yesterday.

Case in point, this same developer’s popular and well received Volt synth has had 12 updates with refinements, bug fixes and extra features, etc. just within 4 months of launch. No doubt RE-1 will be getting the same care.

And, of those who sit it out and miss the launch sale... IMO it’s absolutely a bargain at the $10 it’ll go up to Sept 1st :)

• @skiphunt said:

And, of those who sit it out and miss the launch sale... IMO it’s absolutely a bargain at the $10 it’ll go up to Sept 1st :)

Guess we'll need more demos of it then as Dougs demo did NOT sell it to me and that's just about the only one out there...

• edited August 2018

I bought the app to support the developer (I used RP-1 a lot in the past and received great support from the developer whenever I reported a bug/issue) and also because it looks cool.

I deleted Dubstation from my life setup and dropped in RE-1 and unfortunately my cpu usage (normally fine) shot up and I started getting crackles (so I swapped back). I’m playing the long game on this one though as I love the concept of the app and hopefully it’ll be refined over time.

• @skiphunt said:
    Although I’m not experiencing any issues myself, I can say it is my experience that this is an obsessed, perfectionist and dedicated developer. 100% confident that any possible rough edges will be smoothed out quickly. It just launched yesterday.

Case in point, this same developer’s popular and well received Volt synth has had 12 updates with refinements, bug fixes and extra features, etc. just within 4 months of launch. No doubt RE-1 will be getting the same care.

agreed great dev. I am sure since i haven’t seen any posting from him recently, he already is hard at work on it now. Can wait for any issues to get squashed and really go crazy with this app. great work!

• @eross said:

@skiphunt said:
    Although I’m not experiencing any issues myself, I can say it is my experience that this is an obsessed, perfectionist and dedicated developer. 100% confident that any possible rough edges will be smoothed out quickly. It just launched yesterday.

agreed great dev. I am sure since i haven’t seen any posting from him recently, he already is hard at work on it now. Can wait for any issues to get squashed and really go crazy with this app. great work!

He’s definitely on it. :) I want to use it on my iPhone too. He told me it’d definitely be going Universal, but he just want to get it out there and refined first.

• @Samu said:

@skiphunt said:

Guess we'll need more demos of it then as Dougs demo did NOT sell it to me and that's just about the only one out there...

I’m afraid I’d have to agree with you on that one. Doug’s video likely wouldn’t have sold me on it either. Seemed focused a bit much on the Dub use. But I’m certain more will come. Good Demos are a real art and I’m happy to leave that to those more adept. ;)

I bet @djpuzzle and @gmslayton have a could demos in the oven

There is this one video that doesn’t really show the details much, but delightful results using the app:

• @Samu said:

@skiphunt said:

Agree. Interested (if there will be an iPhone version as well maybe) but while $10 intro is nice i also can get something like U-He Colour Copy for $50 which is in another league.
    I repeat often but i still don‘t get why these apps get released without proper demos, videos and tutorials.
    Looks nice but yeah....nice isn‘t enough in the saturated market.

• edited August 2018

@Cib said:

@Samu said:

@skiphunt said:

Agree. Interested (if there will be an iPhone version as well maybe) but while $10 intro is nice i also can get something like U-He Colour Copy for $50 which is in another league.
    I repeat often but i still don‘t get why these apps get released without proper demos, videos and tutorials.
    Looks nice but yeah....nice isn‘t enough in the saturated market.

It's actually a $5 intro. :) Goes up to $10 Sept 1st.

I don't think the tape looper market sector for iOS is saturated at all. There's FlyTape and the Klevgrd one. Nice, but they're more focussed on the emulation and fx. I can use the iDensity AU as an effective looper, but not as much control, as it's mostly focussed on the granular aspects. Revisited Humbletune's Nils as a looper, but it's not AU and it's a bit quirky to get a handle on the export/import of samples. Brambos' Kosmonaut is nice for looping, but it's mostly focussed on the fx part and not so much of the tape looping part.

So, unless there's one I missed, that hardly seems saturated. This is more than an echo effect. The site is very well laid out with loads of info. I'd make demos myself, but that's not really my job. I'm not getting paid for demos, getting affiliate money from demos, or collecting money from a patreon for demos. There are others out there much better suited. Besides, I don't feel like my sonic skills would do the app justice anyway.

Be patient. It just freakin' dropped yesterday. I'm sure the dev will have demos in due time, as well as other talented demo video makers... after he gets the initial bumps after launch smoothed out.

There's also the possibility that this app isn't needed by some of you and won't tick any boxes at all. For me, it's what I've been hoping to get for at least 2 years.

Here's the dev's site info on the app in case you missed it:

http://numericalaudio.com/re1/#overview

• edited August 2018

I dig it - been playing with it a bunch over the last few days.

I feel that between RE-1 and Kosmonaut, there isn't much I can't get delay-wise. I have a few others that are weirder, but these both cover 80% of the digital and tape delay bases I needed.

I have deleted my beloved LoFionic Duplicat as it is now redundant. Still keeping Daedalus edlay and apeDelay for madness (and because apeSoft/Amazing Noises are among my top 5 developers).

I see potential here for more, just haven't had time to REALLY dig in deep. Need to grab the manual if there is one...

And yes, @skiphunt - it's been out for 24 hours, fellas. I'm sure there's more to come if we all add a tiny dash of patience.

• @eross said:
    how soon till this goes universal? I’m very excited to have this on my iphone

Yes! Please! I’d love to have this!!

• edited August 2018

Throw in another complaint for battery drain. I went from 95% to 82% in 10 minutes tops.

That's worse than Model 15. It's a Gadget-level battery sucker, which is the most severe I'Ve encountered.

• Also curious like someone else mentioned, why does turning the overdub button off stop the loop playback instead of just stopping input recording?

• @oat_phipps said:
    Also curious like someone else mentioned, why does turning the overdub button off stop the loop playback instead of just stopping input recording?

yep that was me. not sure what is going on there.

• edited August 2018

Any tips for getting a super gradual degradation of the tape? I wanna rip off William Basinski.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Any tips for getting a super gradual degradation of the tape? I wanna rip off William Basinski.

I've found that if I just keep overdubbing other sources onto the same loop, eventually you start getting a fairly organic sounding degradation... not always, but it seems like I get it when I've used non-consistent input levels while overdubbing.

Also, I think the dev believes the extra cpu heat and related battery drain some have experienced... to be related to the animation frame rates, and he thinks he has a solution... so stay tuned. Baffled that I'm still not getting the heat or battery drain, but the dev confirms it is an actual issue that he's currently sleuthing and optimistic he'll get it under control.

• Is there any manual somewhere ? What does the tape head space do ?? Can i get the loop to slowly decay like you can with kosmonaout ?

• @oat_phipps said:
    Throw in another complaint for battery drain. I went from 95% to 82% in 10 minutes tops.

That's worse than Model 15. It's a Gadget-level battery sucker, which is the most severe I'Ve encountered.

Dream: Kai figures out the issue, passes along the secret to Korg. All is well with the world.

• @Samu said:

Which ones are you using Samu?

• @robosardine said:

@Samu said:

Which ones are you using Samu?

Klevgr DAW Casette is my current favourite, it's not a 'looper' but it's quite nice for tape-type effects and Fly Tape sounds quite nice but has it's 'quirks'. For a bit 'cleaner' lo-fi sound I like the RX950...

• I agree that the demos I have heard so far don’t give justice to the real power of this app. Super-looper

• @cuscolima said:
    I agree that the demos I have heard so far don’t give justice to the real power of this app. Super-looper

That part I've understood, what about 'Tape Layers' or 'Time To Live'(ie. degrade the tape a certain % each loop).
    This could be similar to a 4-track recorder with 4 tracks where tracks 1-3 get overdubbed to 4 while recording new material and track 4 would degrade over time...

• I’m up for this when the heat/cpu stuff is fixed. I’ve got half a ton of delays already, but I like the tape degradation this one does, don’t think I have this covered in any other of my apps.

• Do people remember AUFX Dub?...... That is still a good Dub Box....

• Are there any existing AU apps for iPhone currently existing that can create the "dub" echo like this one?