Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

RE-1 Virtual Tape Machine & Looper - Amazing for Dub

Comments

• @Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Coding Spree by RE-1 dev ! Let the guessing game begin.

IR-1 Impuse Reverb?
    RM-1 is already out RingModulator
    PB-1 Pad Bank Sampler?
    KB-1 is already out
    VPD Phase Distortion Synthesiser?
    DD-1 Digital Drums

That's my take lol...

nope, you got em all wrong, nothing to see here... :#

• @ka010 said:

@Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

IR-1 Impuse Reverb?
    PB-1 Pad Bank Sampler?
    KB-1 is already out
    DD-1 Digital Drums

That's my take lol...

Hehe goodie, I love surprises :D

• @Samu said:

@ka010 said:

@Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

IR-1 Impuse Reverb?
    PB-1 Pad Bank Sampler?
    KB-1 is already out
    DD-1 Digital Drums

That's my take lol...

Hehe goodie, I love surprises :D

Heh, then you'll be happy to hear that list has grown quite significantly since that tweet :)

• @ka010 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@david_2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    When I import samples, they are playing back at double-speed (time stretch is turned off). Anyway one else run into this? The files are 16-bit. 44.1k stereo files recorded in AUM.

If the loop is 2 bars long and you select „1 Bar“ it gets squeezed :) and then pitched

So, it squeezes the file to fit regardless of the time stretch settings?

It looks like when used as AU, you are forced to use the host bpm settings. Is there a way to set a tempo unrelated to the host when using it as an AU?

When loading a sample it'll always re-time that to fit the current loop length. The time-stretch setting controls whether changing the loop length causes the current sample to be truncated to stretched.

I guess having an option to disable the initial re-timing would be handy in cases like this tho.

That would be great. Here is my wishlist related to this:

• option to not re-time on import
    • option to ignore host tempo as au (which would mean providing some tempo/length control) (so that one can run unco-ordinated loops)
    • if ignoring host tempo, still allow the loops to be started by the host transport (so that you can start the loops at the same time)

Love RE-1 and some recent posts by folks have me interested in using it to do some reichian loop compositions

• I'm ready to buy all those and also beta test. 😁

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    And that’s how all my tracks came to sound like Side 5 of “Sandinista!”

I was living Brixton when Sandinista came out 80/81 and I'm buying this app so I can pretend I can still hear the noise coming out of the squats on Electric Avenue...

I was living in a bedsit in Battersea just after the riots. What was that venue in the arches underneath the railway? There was always an amoured Ford Transit full of riot police outside.

• How does this compare to DAW Cassette? I don’t have either but wondered.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    How does this compare to DAW Cassette? I don’t have either but wondered.

Feature-wise? DAW Cassette is just a tone/character effect, whereas this is actually a tape delay with separate playheads, which you can also use as a looper

• i’ve been using this a lot recently in looper mode and have had zero crashes. if you’ve been sleeping on this for an auv3 looper its time to wake up 😄
    but it is limited to 8 bars which is the only thing id like to change
    update today to fix the audible artifacts when using the sliders!

• @reasOne said:
    i’ve been using this a lot recently in looper mode and have had zero crashes. if you’ve been sleeping on this for an auv3 looper its time to wake up 😄

I’ve been sending some of the weird sounds in Quanta through it. It’s amazing how you can just sit for hours making looping sounds, reversing them, then clearing them and just starting again. Then send them through Bleass delay and reverb, fingering the pad in reverb, then split it up via Scatterbrain into multiple WOWs or Turnados.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@reasOne said:
    i’ve been using this a lot recently in looper mode and have had zero crashes. if you’ve been sleeping on this for an auv3 looper its time to wake up 😄

I’ve been sending some of the weird sounds in Quanta through it. It’s amazing how you can just sit for hours making looping sounds, reversing them, then clearing them and just starting again. Then send them through Bleass delay and reverb, fingering the pad in reverb, then split it up via Scatterbrain into multiple WOWs or Turnados.

haha seriously it’s so easy to just get lost in loop land for hours, and trying all the effects... also recording pads or plucks at like 2 bars then changing it to 8 drops the speed down so much you can get some cool stuff with that as well just continuously changing loop length while dubbing

• Speaking of this app, I found a track I did with it the other night and it's surprisingly great. I'd forgotten all about it. Perhaps someone else will enjoy. It's a long one but worth it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h1FVG3XEg0Q6XWaiqu7jUca0XnWklJkP/view?usp=drivesdk

• This is on sale at the moment down to 4.99 I think ... I’m on the fence about buying it though, it seems like it might be a cpu hog? No?

• @KRPT said:
    This is on sale at the moment down to 4.99 I think ... I’m on the fence about buying it though, it seems like it might be a cpu hog? No?

Not that I've noticed. It's great for Eno and dub type stuff. The tape looper is really a lot of fun.

• edited April 2020

Edit: contacted the dev, rather than asking here.

• @pauly said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    And that’s how all my tracks came to sound like Side 5 of “Sandinista!”

I was living Brixton when Sandinista came out 80/81 and I'm buying this app so I can pretend I can still hear the noise coming out of the squats on Electric Avenue...

I was living in a bedsit in Battersea just after the riots. What was that venue in the arches underneath the railway? There was always an amoured Ford Transit full of riot police outside.

How odd, only just saw this :)

I can't remember the name of the venue, but we used to hire a rehearsal room in the same row and it is STILL my favourite ever jam space. Could be largely nostalgia of course at this point :)

• I used to jam there too, would get the taxi radio coming through my pickups 🤣

• @Krupa said:
    I used to jam there too, would get the taxi radio coming through my pickups 🤣

I loved that place. As a singer/ranter/shouter there was nowhere like it for turning off the lights and being Eric Reed Boucher before I'd ever heard of him...

• If you ever heard long jams in b flat with an incessant trumpet note, that was us 🤣

• I think it was the only note that lad could hit

• I went and bought it - in stand-alone it’s great! As all of Kai’s apps n plugs ... unfortunately in my daw (NS2) it’s almost unusable! None of the knobs will tweak without moving the UI around, (I’m on iPhone) making it impossible to actually change a parameter! Almost tempted to ask for my money back, if it were a desktop app I definitely would. Such a shame because the navigation in Shockwave is similarly sketchy (not as bad though). Anyone else have this problem and know of a workaround for now?

• I bought this when it was praised in the sales thread but haven’t been able to use it at all. It crashes as soon as I touch anything when hosted in NS2.

• @KRPT said:
    I went and bought it - in stand-alone it’s great! As all of Kai’s apps n plugs ... unfortunately in my daw (NS2) it’s almost unusable! None of the knobs will tweak without moving the UI around, (I’m on iPhone) making it impossible to actually change a parameter! Almost tempted to ask for my money back, if it were a desktop app I definitely would. Such a shame because the navigation in Shockwave is similarly sketchy (not as bad though). Anyone else have this problem and know of a workaround for now?

I haven't used in NS2, only in AUM but I gave up because the sliders were too unreliable. They would jump anywhere when touched. I also experienced differences in the response of some buttons. This was a long time I ago. I reported, never heard back and after a while I deleted it from my iPad.

• @Monome said:

@KRPT said:
    I went and bought it - in stand-alone it’s great! As all of Kai’s apps n plugs ... unfortunately in my daw (NS2) it’s almost unusable! None of the knobs will tweak without moving the UI around, (I’m on iPhone) making it impossible to actually change a parameter! Almost tempted to ask for my money back, if it were a desktop app I definitely would. Such a shame because the navigation in Shockwave is similarly sketchy (not as bad though). Anyone else have this problem and know of a workaround for now?

I haven't used in NS2, only in AUM but I gave up because the sliders were too unreliable. They would jump anywhere when touched. I also experienced differences in the response of some buttons. This was a long time I ago. I reported, never heard back and after a while I deleted it from my iPad.

I would suggest giving it another try. I don't have NS2, so can't comment there, but I use it in AUM for virtually every track I do and don't have any issues with knob or slider tracking. I found a bug a month or so ago, but it was fixed within a week.

• I would definitely personally recommend Imaginando's k7d tape looper over this. It is auv3 and is very cheap and really great. It doesn't loop, but you could combine it with enso, also auv3, a great combo.

• I both disagree & agree with some f the opinions here. I have K7D, Enso, and RE-1. I extensively beta tested RE-1. Marginally tested K7D and bought Enso on launch.

I’m happy to have all 3 for different reasons and I don’t find too much redundancy between them.

For delay, I’d give K7D the edge. As looper in an AU in a host, maybe Enso. As a tape looper emulator that also has 3head delay and some tape emulator effects, in standalone mode... I’d use RE-1.

If I could have only one... that’d be a tough call.

• Thnx @skiphunt maybe I need to give re-1 a whirl again, and it is true that almost always every app has its own niche uses that are not found in another.

• But right after writing this I went to give it a go as an iaa in AUM and as soon as I selected 'looper' preset, it crashed :D

• edited April 2020

@Gavinski said:
    Thnx @skiphunt maybe I need to give re-1 a whirl again, and it is true that almost always every app has its own niche uses that are not found in another.

Try re-1 in standalone mode, not hosted... on an iPhone as an emulated portable tape looper. :)