Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

RE-1 Virtual Tape Machine & Looper - Amazing for Dub

Comments

• @oat_phipps said:
    This is one of the best loopers since its always running and all you have to do is play in tempo and not worry about nailing a 'start' point. Like this more and more i play with it.

How is that different that the sound on sound option of Kosmonaut> @eross said:

@ALB said:
    It crashes pretty regularly in standalone for me, especially trying to use the user imported samples, and I can't figure out how to get the user samples from standalone into the AU version. That said, I really like the sound and the looping function is pretty mesmerizing. Hoping that the bugs get worked out...

+1 same here

I've found pretty much all this devs apps, while pretty, are REALLY crash prone.

Too many other, more solid devs out there. I wish he'd fix his stuff before making new stuff.

• @Drümünkey said:

@oat_phipps said:
    This is one of the best loopers since its always running and all you have to do is play in tempo and not worry about nailing a 'start' point. Like this more and more i play with it.

@ALB said:
    It crashes pretty regularly in standalone for me, especially trying to use the user imported samples, and I can't figure out how to get the user samples from standalone into the AU version. That said, I really like the sound and the looping function is pretty mesmerizing. Hoping that the bugs get worked out...

+1 same here

I've found pretty much all this devs apps, while pretty, are REALLY crash prone.

Too many other, more solid devs out there. I wish he'd fix his stuff before making new stuff.

I'm still super confused how anyone is able to use this as a standard looper. The looped signal is delayed, minimum of 5ms.

You record a loop. That loop is now delayed at minimum 5ms. When you turn on overdubbing, you are now playing over a loop that is delayed by 5ms. When you hear your overdub played back, it is in turn delayed additionally from you were playing over (also delayed).

I haven't seen this addressed yet. Is there a work around? I recorded a video that I think demonstrates it pretty well.
    https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=nWufEEb2-tQ

• @bcrichards said:

@Drümünkey said:

@oat_phipps said:

@ALB said:

+1 same here

I'm still super confused how anyone is able to use this as a standard looper. The looped signal is delayed, minimum of 5ms.

You record a loop. That loop is now delayed at minimum 5ms. When you turn on overdubbing, you are now playing over a loop that is delayed by 5ms. When you hear your overdub played back, it is in turn delayed additionally from you were playing over (also delayed).

I haven't seen this addressed yet. Is there a work around? I recorded a video that I think demonstrates it pretty well.

There’s an update coming out soon that cleans quite a few issues.

• @anickt said:

@bcrichards said:

@Drümünkey said:

@oat_phipps said:

@ALB said:

+1 same here

There’s an update coming out soon that cleans quite a few issues.

That's good to hear. The ability to build loops of sound rather than sketching everything out in midi suits my workflow nicely. Thanks.

• After a bit more time working with this app, I love it even more. The sound quality and character produced is fantastic. It takes all the parts of RP-1 which I loved (including panning modulation!) and puts them together in way that feels more intuitive to work with and goes a lot further in functionality.

Few questions to others who've been playing with this (@skiphunt !) -- did the colour Dial seem to affect the tone much? I may be just been using a patch that it didn't come out on, but it only seemed to change the intensity & character of the hiss added by the 'hiss' dial (which itself seems over-accentuated while moving the dial).

Also, how does the time stretch functionality work? I played around with this in overdub mode loads and whenever/however it was activated, it didn't seem to make any difference to the results once I started moving the tempo (which didn't have great results). I didn't explore too deeply beyond that and maybe it has a different alternative kind of functionality which in itself is logical (or only affects loaded samples and not recorded loops).

• @OscarSouth said:
    After a bit more time working with this app, I love it even more. The sound quality and character produced is fantastic. It takes all the parts of RP-1 which I loved (including panning modulation!) and puts them together in way that feels more intuitive to work with and goes a lot further in functionality.

Few questions to others who've been playing with this (@skiphunt !) -- did the colour Dial seem to affect the tone much? I may be just been using a patch that it didn't come out on, but it only seemed to change the intensity & character of the hiss added by the 'hiss' dial (which itself seems over-accentuated while moving the dial).

Also, how does the time stretch functionality work? I played around with this in overdub mode loads and whenever/however it was activated, it didn't seem to make any difference to the results once I started moving the tempo (which didn't have great results). I didn't explore too deeply beyond that and maybe it has a different alternative kind of functionality which in itself is logical (or only affects loaded samples and not recorded loops).

The color dial ONLY effects the quality of Hiss. Add just a bunch of hiss and nothing else and you can hear how it changes the color of the hiss from "Dark" to "Bright"

The time stretch works on samples that you load in. Let's say you record 1 bar sample. If you load that bar back in but are set to 8 bar and the time stretch turned off... you'll hear your one bar sample, and then 7 bars of silence. If you turn on the time stretch... it will stretch your 1bar sample out to 8 bars. It'll slow it down and pitch will obviously change.

Works the other way too... load up an 8bar sample and engage time stretch.. you'll hear it stretched the other way and much faster with higher pitch.

Fun to play with :)

• edited September 2018

@skiphunt said:

@OscarSouth said:
    After a bit more time working with this app, I love it even more. The sound quality and character produced is fantastic. It takes all the parts of RP-1 which I loved (including panning modulation!) and puts them together in way that feels more intuitive to work with and goes a lot further in functionality.

The color dial ONLY effects the quality of Hiss. Add just a bunch of hiss and nothing else and you can hear how it changes the color of the hiss from "Dark" to "Bright"

The time stretch works on samples that you load in. Let's say you record 1 bar sample. If you load that bar back in but are set to 8 bar and the time stretch turned off... you'll hear your one bar sample, and then 7 bars of silence. If you turn on the time stretch... it will stretch your 1bar sample out to 8 bars. It'll slow it down and pitch will obviously change.

Works the other way too... load up an 8bar sample and engage time stretch.. you'll hear it stretched the other way and much faster with higher pitch.

Fun to play with :)

Cool, cheers. Thought it would end up being something to do with loaded samples (and makes sense too).

So my ears were telling the truth and it actually is just changing the hiss! Good to know. Thanks again!

• Coding Spree by RE-1 dev ! Let the guessing game begin.

• Kai is on a roll!!!! Yeah!

• Don't stomp on it!

• @bcrichards said:

@Drümünkey said:

@oat_phipps said:

@ALB said:

+1 same here

So has this been fixed yet?

• Yep> @Shabudua said:

@bcrichards said:

@Drümünkey said:

@oat_phipps said:

@ALB said:

+1 same here

Yep

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Yep> @Shabudua said:

@bcrichards said:

@Drümünkey said:

@oat_phipps said:

@ALB said:

+1 same here

Yep

Yes, it works great now.

• How does RE-1 handle the sampling of stereo sources? Does it sum to mono? Dual mono? Or keep it stereo?
    Thanks.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:
    How does RE-1 handle the sampling of stereo sources? Does it sum to mono? Dual mono? Or keep it stereo?
    Thanks.

It's stereo all the way.

• Is this any fun standalone? Doubt my air 1 can use it with other stuff.

• @dustgod said:
    Is this any fun standalone? Doubt my air 1 can use it with other stuff.

Yes. I prefer it standalone on my iPhone, but usually go AU on iPad.

• I bought this in the sale. Took a bit of getting used to, but I’m loving the wobbly sounds it makes.

• I noticed a weird bug. I want to use the RE-1 as a vibrato effect. So I loaded it up with a synth in AUM, then set the delay time to minimum (5 ms), the mix to 100% wet, and I start to adjust the wow & flutter knob. Then the audio cuts in and out at regular intervals with strange aliasing sounds in the background.

• When I import samples, they are playing back at double-speed (time stretch is turned off). Anyway one else run into this? The files are 16-bit. 44.1k stereo files recorded in AUM.

• @espiegel123 said:
    When I import samples, they are playing back at double-speed (time stretch is turned off). Anyway one else run into this? The files are 16-bit. 44.1k stereo files recorded in AUM.

If the loop is 2 bars long and you select „1 Bar“ it gets squeezed :) and then pitched

• @david_2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    When I import samples, they are playing back at double-speed (time stretch is turned off). Anyway one else run into this? The files are 16-bit. 44.1k stereo files recorded in AUM.

If the loop is 2 bars long and you select „1 Bar“ it gets squeezed :) and then pitched

So, it squeezes the file to fit regardless of the time stretch settings?

It looks like when used as AU, you are forced to use the host bpm settings. Is there a way to set a tempo unrelated to the host when using it as an AU?

• @espiegel123 said:

@david_2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

It looks like when used as AU, you are forced to use the host bpm settings. Is there a way to set a tempo unrelated to the host when using it as an AU?

When loading a sample it'll always re-time that to fit the current loop length. The time-stretch setting controls whether changing the loop length causes the current sample to be truncated to stretched.

I guess having an option to disable the initial re-timing would be handy in cases like this tho.

• @ka010 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@david_2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

When loading a sample it'll always re-time that to fit the current loop length. The time-stretch setting controls whether changing the loop length causes the current sample to be truncated to stretched.

I guess having an option to disable the initial re-timing would be handy in cases like this tho.

When running as AU, is there a way to set tempo independent of the host? I'd like to load loops of slightly different lengths and have them run unsynched.

• Already posted this in the Enso thread... but figure it’s of relevance here too :)

Hey, for those of you waiting on Enso... and have the RE-1 tape looper... while you’re waiting, you can do a lot of what Enso does by loading up multiple instances and overdub to all of them... set the loops at different lengths. Some set to reverse overdub, etc.

I’m getting Enso too, but in the meantime and a little creativity, and RE-1s time stretching, you can get pretty close.

Add a little nudge on each of the RE-1 instance feedback dials (go easy) and mess with the 2nd & 3rd tape head sliders... and you can get some nice gradual degradation and evolving composition similar to the Basinski disintegration loops. :)

• Just bought after Doug's video. Just played for a few minutes as au in both AUM and Cubasis. Seems every time I change presets it defaults the input to full. Is this normal? Kind of a pain. Sorry if this has already been covered.

• @espiegel123 said:
    When running as AU, is there a way to set tempo independent of the host? I'd like to load loops of slightly different lengths and have them run unsynched.

Currently, tempo is always synced to the host. I've been working on a minor update tho, happy to look into adding an option for that.

@Bootsy said:
    Just bought after Doug's video. Just played for a few minutes as au in both AUM and Cubasis. Seems every time I change presets it defaults the input to full. Is this normal? Kind of a pain. Sorry if this has already been covered.

Yes, the input parameter is stored with the preset. Again, happy to look into making this optional.

@skiphunt said:
    Already posted this in the Enso thread... but figure it’s of relevance here too :)

Hey, for those of you waiting on Enso... and have the RE-1 tape looper... while you’re waiting, you can do a lot of what Enso does by loading up multiple instances and overdub to all of them... set the loops at different lengths. Some set to reverse overdub, etc.

I’m getting Enso too, but in the meantime and a little creativity, and RE-1s time stretching, you can get pretty close.

Add a little nudge on each of the RE-1 instance feedback dials (go easy) and mess with the 2nd & 3rd tape head sliders... and you can get some nice gradual degradation and evolving composition similar to the Basinski disintegration loops. :)

Yeah, you do a whole lot of fun tape looping stuff with this, hoping to demonstrate in a couple of videos sometime soon!

• edited March 2019

@ka010 said:

@espiegel123 said:

Currently, tempo is always synced to the host. I've been working on a minor update tho, happy to look into adding an option for that.

@Bootsy said:
    Just bought after Doug's video. Just played for a few minutes as au in both AUM and Cubasis. Seems every time I change presets it defaults the input to full. Is this normal? Kind of a pain. Sorry if this has already been covered.

Yes, the input parameter is stored with the preset. Again, happy to look into making this optional.

@skiphunt said:
    Already posted this in the Enso thread... but figure it’s of relevance here too :)

Yeah, you do a whole lot of fun tape looping stuff with this, hoping to demonstrate in a couple of videos sometime soon!

Yes please for the demo videos! Make sure they have plenty of smooth slider action too! ;)

Seriously, I’ve got really complex things going with over dubbing multiple instances, and even having some of the RE1 instances overdubbing into other RE1 instances. Easier to do in apeMatrix since you can more easily see all of the connections at once... as well as easily turn off/on connections while overdubbing.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Coding Spree by RE-1 dev ! Let the guessing game begin.

IR-1 Impuse Reverb?
    RM-1 is already out RingModulator
    PB-1 Pad Bank Sampler?
    KB-1 is already out
    VPD Phase Distortion Synthesiser?
    DD-1 Digital Drums

That's my take lol...

• Thanks @ka010, I would appreciate the option, but no worries if it's a pain.

@ka010 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Bootsy said:

@skiphunt said: