Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which IOS was the heyday for music making?

IOS 11 is pretty good for me at the moment no major issues, but there’s a level complexity that turns me off atm more to do with the amount of choice and apps being at different level of maturity and integrations. I still have a jail broken iPad mini on 7.12 and when I mess about with those apps (alchemy!!) I get a real warm fuzzy feeling, maybe its just nostalgia IDK!

Comments

• 5 ipad 1 - it all seemed so amazing what you could do

Now all the chat is about what can’t be done.

• edited August 2018

7 probably, but 11 lets me run new stuff.

• 9, because it introduced AUv3

• Better days ahead.

• Whatever version you're using when you're making music.

• 2016 and 17 was a lot more exciting than 2018 in terms of new apps and major updates but it was also the beginning of the end for home buttons and headphone jacks.

• edited August 2018

IOS 6 was it for me.
    However, everything past Alchemy and NanoStudio is going downwards.

• 11+ and beyond. It was always the potential before, now it is finally happening. AU + midi. Files etc

• Th iOS version I use has never impacted my ability to make music, or enjoy the process. Interesting question....

• This version. Sorry, but I'm able to do more now with iOS than I've ever been able to.

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I didn’t start until iOS 8, but I think 11 is the best so far. Files is really helping things even if it’s not perfect. The worst thing about 11 for me is not being able to turn Bluetooth off in the Control Center. Seriously, we can turn it on there, I want to turn it off there too like we used to be able to!!

• right now its iOS 11.4.1 You can do so much more with multi-tasking, AUs, etc than previous versions.

The most stable version is the one right before the next full version release. So 11.4.1 will be the best iOS 11. I'll probably update all my devices to 11.4.1 before 12 is released.

Then I'll wait a while to see how iOS 12 is received. From reports on the beta versions, I think I'll be happy to upgrade to iOS 12 fairly quickly.

• edited August 2018

Every ios had its amazing bits and quirks from thumb jam to gadget, Aum and ab3.

It needs to be said that not many ios updates managed not to screw things up in a major way. The next thread should be: 'what ios update made you pull most hair and punch walls?'

• edited August 2018

8, Link and AUM were introduced. The last one probably the most important host app ever and it paved the way for populizing AU.

• Loved Alchemy. :/

But also love stuff like MPE and Link.

So I guess progress is a good thing.

Everything pretty stable for me on 11.

• Never impacted me having fun making music, but in terms of app release frequency and general excitement I’d say 2016 or around there. What was that 9.3? Although things are starting to look interesting again

• Still love jailbroken 9.3.3, even though Rozeta and Synth One are beyond it.

• @Masanga said:
    Still love jailbroken 9.3.3, even though Rozeta and Synth One are beyond it.

Yeah I miss jailbreak, but as far as music goes, now is the best it's been. The jailbreak was so useful for file management though.

• DCJDCJ
    edited August 2018

Personally I loved iOS 3 where if I put just the right amount of 1s and 0s in just the right order I could get my iPad to bleep in the key of C.

• edited August 2018

iOS 666 will be hellacious

• edited August 2018

7.1.2 was the most stable and frugal iOS version for music production. 6, 9.3 and 10.3 were pretty good too. Unless you're willing to buy the latest greatest device, as a user it's alway prudent to wait and/or designate a device to the last most stable/frugal iOS version. Unfortunately Apple won't let you go back so it's always a gamble. I love my old iPad Air 1 on iOS 7.1.2. So quick and responsive, so many audio tracks and IAAs possible without glitches. 10.3 has been a sweet spot on my 2017 9.7" iPad aka iPad 5. iOS 11.4 has made my iPhone 6 Plus incredibly sluggish and prone to freezes.

• Im really happy I upgraded to iOS 11 (that wasnt the case with 9 or 10) and really love AUv3 with state saving & midi routing with Rozeta blazing the trail of course.
    I think Midi has got a lot easier with Aum and the latest versions of AudioBus. Before I loved Midi but was constantly tearing my hair out, I think iOS 11 has midi tamed at last.
    I guess my answer is iOS11!

• @Max23 said:
    iOS 12 looks very promising as it seems to kill the switch apps/graphics get crackles/missed notes/skipped beats/other hiccups thing :)
    (this exists in every previous iOS version since 4.2 when midi was introduced)
    if you dont do heavy realtime stuff you won't have noticed ;)

so Ios 4.2 was the heyday because there was no midi before

i have to say i still get 'the switch apps/graphics get crackles/missed notes/skipped beats/other hiccups thing' using ios 12 on ipad pro 9'7 2017.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Max23 said:
    iOS 12 looks very promising as it seems to kill the switch apps/graphics get crackles/missed notes/skipped beats/other hiccups thing :)
    (this exists in every previous iOS version since 4.2 when midi was introduced)
    if you dont do heavy realtime stuff you won't have noticed ;)

so Ios 4.2 was the heyday because there was no midi before

i have to say i still get 'the switch apps/graphics get crackles/missed notes/skipped beats/other hiccups thing' using ios 12 on ipad pro 9'7 2017.

arrrgh :#

haha but i will add I can't really remember how it was on ios 11 anymore. One can never remember what is was like to be thirsty.

• edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2018

I have devices on iOS 5.1.1, 7.1.1, 8.4, 9.0, 9.3.5 and 11.4.1 and in terms of stability, timing issues and latency I would say iOS 8.4 is my favourite (See also the Cubasis timing jitter issue...).
    As for the "heyday version" I have to agree with @Max23: The introduction of low-latency CoreMIDI with iOS 4.2 was probably the most relevant milestone. And maybe NanoStudio on top of that.

• edited August 2018

Since AudioBus arrived, I’ve been able to enjoy making music and finishing songs in every iOS version.

• edited August 2018

iOS 11 is when my iPad Air suddenly became “slow.” Prior to that every version that was on it didn’t seem to affect speed in any way. I’m not buying another iPad anytime soon, so I just deal with the fact that I can’t have many things open anymore and can’t do what I did on it musically prior to iOS 11. I use my computer to mix now and iOS mostly just for occasional fun musically on iPad or to do quick songwriting demos on my phone in GarageBand when inspiration strikes on the go.

For me the most exciting iOS time was late 2013 until about 2 years past that- when I got the iPad Air I couldn’t believe the jump in power from my iPad 2 (that was handed down to me from my wife) and I was able to mix the whole first shutterwax album in auria. And towards the end of that time period I finally discovered gadget on sale and had a ton of fun with it.

Ever since I got back into Harrison mixbus though when version 3 hit, I find that ipad, for me, has become more frustrating compared to using a computer in terms of file management and other workflow issues and auria is not a better mixing platform, for me, than mixbus.

Now my iPad is mostly used for taking notes for work with goodnotes and watching videos, reading the news and books, and the occasional music dabble.